In the event Leonard Williams were to fall to 6

Matt39

that would be a tough call....they could draft him and let Wilkerson walk, which would free up tons of cap room for the next 4 years.  Or pay Wilkerson and trade down for another 1st round pick.  Given that they will have to pay Sheldon too, might make sense not to tie up too much money on the d-line.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On draft day if the Chargers are offered #6 and Mariota is there, I think they would be willing to trade Rivers.  The question is, would the Jets take on Rivers with just 1 year remaining on his deal?  Or could they sign him to a restructured deal?  Or is it better to just draft Mariota?

yea yea yea and throw in some animal crackers too.  Next year he is a free agent and they get NOTHING more than a crummy comp pick. Rivers is in the driver's seat and Chargers can talk all the smack they want but in the end I see him getting traded. He wants one last big contract and it doesn't look like the Chargers are offering a viable extension to his liking.  If they're not going to meet his demands they should take what they can get NOW because next year they get to see him in another uniform.         

They can just franchise tag him and make him play another year.  I wouldn't say Rivers has all the leverage but he does have some.

Good move?  Rex move!  Bad move?  Idzik move!

LOL. They both made some bad moves. Trouble was that Idzik stumbled on virtually all of them. That's hard to do with a dartboard.

Anyway, Let's say for example that the Jets have Fowler rated at 90 and Williams rated 92 on their board. With current configuration, why would they not leap at Fowler, assuming they can't leverage Williams in some way? If they have Williams at 96 and Fowler at 86, it would be hard to pass up Williams and the trademobile would be set in motion. Underlying this whole debate is how much you believe in balance vs. super-units as Ham used to call them.

Wiilkerson's big contract plus an OLB on a rookie deal for 4 years is not bad though.

I agree.  It's so rare that I think the team will come out ahead.  

Trading mo is stupid. He's proven. Mo needs to be given an extension X amount of games into the season. Only acceptable to get rid of him is if it involves Rivers.

Keep Mo, draft fowler, Beasley, or Dupree and don't look back

Of course, but the question we were responding to was whether or not to take Williams if he's there.  So you would pass on Williams unless you were blown away by trade offers? 

I agree. It's so rare that I think the team will come out ahead.

Of course, but the question we were responding to was whether or not to take Williams if he's there. So you would pass on Williams unless you were blown away by trade offers?

Yes, I would pass on Williams if trade offers didnt blow me away. OLB and don't look back

Thoughts? Take him?

Both QB's probably gone, and any combo of the best pass rusher and the two top WR's gone...

If Leonard Williams is still on the board when the raiders are picking at 4, there is no way he isn't there pick. So I don't see anyway he could get to the six pick.

If the two Qb's go one and two., than L Williams will be a Raider. jags are taken a pass rusher.( Fowler)

Trade the pick, there'll be plenty takers.

I agree. Overstocking a position isn't the greatest policy. Trade down for more picks. I understand how dynamic Williams appears to be but let's not forget these guys may dominate in college, but the NFL is big boy football. They are all big and fast and mean.

Thoughts? Take him? 

Both QB's probably gone, and any combo of the best pass rusher and the two top WR's gone...

If he's there we pass. It's kind of the same thing as Mariota. I don't see how to falls to six if he's not falling farther. The obvious explanations as to how the consensus might be overrating these guys would mean more than a couple of slots.

Open up the phone lines and wait for the offers to roll in.  Williams may be the "cleanest"

player in this draft, tons of teams would be looking for him

If he's the "cleanest" (Best?) player in the draft, then we should take him. Period. We don't have a pressing need at a certain position that needs to be addressed with the first round pick. So in that case, the recipe for long time success would be to draft the BPA, even if it means drafting corner with all the corners we already have. Who knows, maybe we'll get another Revis caliber player.

Not saying draft a CB, but just go BPA.

yea yea yea and throw in some animal crackers too.  Next year he is a free agent and they get NOTHING more than a crummy comp pick. Rivers is in the driver's seat and Chargers can talk all the smack they want but in the end I see him getting traded. He wants one last big contract and it doesn't look like the Chargers are offering a viable extension to his liking.  If they're not going to meet his demands they should take what they can get NOW because next year they get to see him in another uniform.         

That was the thinking when we traded Revis. There was the injury to his knee which added to it, but it's essentially the same and I agree with it. If I'm the Chargers I seriously consider this trade if Rivers seems like a goner. 

if i'm a trading partner I gauge the ability to get a new contract done before a trade. It would be something to end up like the bucs and trade two high picks for a one year rental. 

This years 1, next years two, Geno Smith and my personal fave Trevor Reilly. 

If Rivers is interested in a long term deal I would trade the house ( This years 1 and 3, next years one and three maybe) for him. It's the move this franchise needs and he would be the best Jets QB since Bubby Brister. 

• 1 month later...

If Leonard Williams is still on the board when the raiders are picking at 4, there is no way he isn't there pick. So I don't see anyway he could get to the six pick.

If the two Qb's go one and two., than L Williams will be a Raider. jags are taken a pass rusher.( Fowler)

Raiders guy

trade back 3 spots or so.  

and take beasley or gurley and pick up a 5th to replace the marshal pick and actually improve the team

but hey, now we don't have to pay mo

look out

Man I'm so glad I didn't make a post in this thread when it was first posted.  I remember reading it and thinking I was going to post something snarky.  "There is no way Williams will be there at 6."

I couldn't be happier.  This kid is probably the best player in this draft

Archived