OC : Nick  Mangold

RG : James Carpenter

RT : James Brewer

TE : Jace Amaro

RB : Chris Ivory : Bilal Powell

WR : Brandon Marshall : Eric Decker : Jeremy Kerley 

How about take Cooper, play him in the slot and cut Kerley

Draft Scherff start him at RT or LG and strengthen the OL

Really? cut Kerley He'll drive up 95 North and sign with New England and trust me they will use him the way he was meant to be used ...just what we need another haunt job 

Cooper a #1 Kerley's a slot 

with Marshall,Decker and Kerley should have a big year 

This is not an argue with the originator post, but a make a suggestion post.

Well, I suggest if you think Brewer is going to beat out Giacomini you think that RT is the weakest spot on the team. Powell is okay, but they need another RB.  I can't see drafting one at 6, but if there is value in the 2nd or 3rd that guy will have plenty of chance to contribute.  Same at WR.  Kerley is not getting cut, but the roster spots of TJ Graham, Walt Powell, Hakim etc are certainly there for the taking and a #4 WR can have plenty of impact.

Drafting Scherff at 6 would be equal to drafting locker, gabbert, ponder.  We want an olineman so lets artificially boost the value of a player into the top 6.  i know some of you would love to draft an olineman to make that part of the team rock solid.  that would be fine if there were any olineman even remotely worthy of a top 6 pick value wise.  there isn't.

Make the offense better for this draft?  Cooper or White at 6, olineman or RB for the 2nd rounder.  Although I'm nor personally in favor of this you could also draft Mariota at 6.

Drafting Scherff at 6 would be equal to drafting locker, gabbert, ponder. We want an olineman so lets artificially boost the value of a player into the top 6. i know some of you would love to draft an olineman to make that part of the team rock solid. that would be fine if there were any olineman even remotely worthy of a top 6 pick value wise. there isn't.

Make the offense better for this draft? Cooper or White at 6, olineman or RB for the 2nd rounder. Although I'm nor personally in favor of this you could also draft Mariota at 6.

The cowboys passed on a qb Johnny Manziel for a Guard. How did that work out?

The cowboys passed on a qb Johnny Manziel for a Guard. How did that work out?

Your rebuttles are often so off the mark it is really hard to know how to respond to them.

Martin was chosen at 16 overall,  three other olineman were chosen before him.

If you can get the jets to traded down in the draft and then want to draft and olineman have at er.

Scherff is probably not as good as any of the 1st rounder olineman from last year.   Look at the guards chosen high the year before, Copper and Warmack, hardly game changes so far.

Would Scherff help the oline?  Yup.  Is he worthy if the 6th pick overall considering what other players will be there?  Nope.

I love when the argument is just cuz. You can't draft a guard at 6 just cuz. You have to take an OLB in spite of a gazillion busts over the years just cuz. You have to draft Mariota even though most of his throws in college were to the running back just cuz.

Well, I suggest if you think Brewer is going to beat out Giacomini you think that RT is the weakest spot on the team. Powell is okay, but they need another RB.  I can't see drafting one at 6, but if there is value in the 2nd or 3rd that guy will have plenty of chance to contribute.  Same at WR.  Kerley is not getting cut, but the roster spots of TJ Graham, Walt Powell, Hakim etc are certainly there for the taking and a #4 WR can have plenty of impact.

If we cut Kerley after June 1st or even after training camp, we save over 2 mil in cap space with 200 grand  in dead money. If we were to draft Cooper, I could see this happening. IMO, it improves the team. Which is better IYO

Decker

Marshall

Kerley

Decker

Marshall

Cooper

If we cut Kerley after June 1st or even after training camp, we save over 2 mil in cap space with 200 grand in dead money. If we were to draft Cooper, I could see this happening. IMO, it improves the team. Which is better IYO

Decker

Marshall

Kerley

Decker

Marshall

Cooper

I'd rather just keep Kerley in that scenario. Dime formation has 6 DB's covering Wr's and TE's. Depth at WR and TE is important in today's nfl if you have 4 good WR's and a TE like Amaro the qb can pick on the weakest DB.

Brady and Manning have only been doing that for 15 years.

I'd rather just keep Kerley in that scenario. Dime formation has 6 DB's covering Wr's and TE's. Depth at WR and TE is important in today's nfl if you have 4 good WR's and a TE like Amaro the qb can pick on the weakest DB.

Brady and Manning have only been doing that for 15 years.

So would I, but there's this pesky thing called the salary cap.

Marshall = 7.7 mil

Decker  =  6.5 mil

Kerley  =  2.6 mil

Cooper  =  at pick 6 1st round

That's too much money at the WR position.

Marshall = 7.7 mil

Decker  =  6.5 mil

Kerley  =  2.6 mil

Cooper  =  at pick 6 1st round

Thats why we are not taking a wr at 6.  OLB, QB, if Mariota is there, or trade down are our best options.  

Outside of Fowler I think Cooper and White are more a sure thing than any of the other OLB prospects.

Deckers contract is cuttable after this season, realistically he's who would go if we took one of those two marquee wideouts at 6.

I think we almost definitely go RB in round 2 or 3.

If we cut Kerley after June 1st or even after training camp, we save over 2 mil in cap space with 200 grand  in dead money. If we were to draft Cooper, I could see this happening. IMO, it improves the team. Which is better IYO

Decker

Marshall

Kerley

Decker

Marshall

Cooper

IMO?  I don't know.  I think Kerley is fine and if you dump him you are looking at trotting a total JAG out there if/when Decker and Marshall get hurt.  They both will.  There are plenty of scenarios where 4WRs are on the field at the same time.  That would be a nice problem to have and frankly I would prefer it to all these CBs.  That is a bunch of money in WRs, but Kerley's figure is not enough to make it worth cutting him and I'm pretty sure your numbers are off.  Kerley signed a $16M extension during last season.  He got like a $3M bonus and Jason's site shows prorated bonus of $2.4M remaining.  If they cut him that gets accelerated and you will have paid him $3M plus $2M for the lost 2014 season.  Okay, it's a new regime, but that does not seem to be good business.

EDIT: Upon further review it appears that you mixed up the cap savings and dead money columns on Jason's site.  My reading is that there would be $200K in cap savings and $2.4M in dead money if you cut Kerley.  $600K per year of pro=rated bonus over 4 years.  Still want to dump him?  . 

Marshall = 7.7 mil

Decker = 6.5 mil

Kerley = 2.6 mil

Cooper = at pick 6 1st round

Not if you want to win a SB. Rookies get scale nowadays anyway.

Draft Cooper, and the offense is immensely improved.  I think adding Cooper will have a bigger impact on this offense than any QB we can add reasonably (so not Rivers/Brees) for the offense, because it balances out our offense extremely well.  

Decker/Marshall both are great against one on one matchups.  If we can get someone like Cooper on the field as the No. 3 WR, how are defenses going to defend against it, without selling out against the pass.  All three of them could beat man coverage, IMO.  We're already a good running team, so that should only help our RBs.  You add three WRs that can scare defenses, plus Amaro as another option?  

On any given play, this is what the defense has to account for, assuming we can go in 11 personnel.  Which btw is apparently the most effective personnel in the NFL (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2014/2013-offensive-personnel-analysis)%C2'>

Decker:  Very good route runner, has good speed, size, hands, gets out of his breaks extremely well, and is a hard one on one cover.

Marshall:  Another very good route runner, good speed, good hands, great size, can catch over the middle, over power CBs, and is a nightmare one on one. 

Cooper:   Very good route runner, excellent speed, good hands, good size for slot, can catch the ball all over the field, tracks the deep pass extremely well, and a nightmare one on one. 

Amaro:  A good pass catching TE, with excellent size, mediocre hands, decent speed for a TE.  

Ivory:  Assuming we don't draft a mid round RB, very good after contact (thus if you only account for one guy to tackle him, there is a good chance he'll break it), north/south runner, can catch balls out of the backfield but not his strength, and has ok speed but not great.  

Geno:  Assuming he beats out Fitz, can run in open space if needed to pick up yards, so you can't completely abandon the middle on plays, and he's used to running out of spread options.  

And the last aspect is the spread option, so all the defenders are spread out as far as possible.  This move also helps account for injuries so if Marshall or Decker is hurt (which both of them were last year), Cooper can slide right into the No. 2 position and be just fine there as well.   We can have Kerley as the No. 4 guy to start.  The moves helps the entire offense because defenses can't afford to blitz nearly as much (thus helping pass protection), and they can't commit nearly as much to run stopping (thus helping run blocking).  

Of course Cooper will have a bigger impact on our offense than Mariota. Cris Carter, the man who knows more about the WR position than anyone on Earth, he loves Cooper.

I'm just hoping White and Mariota go in the first 5 picks so we can get him.

Yeah, I love the idea of trading down, getting more picks, but I just can't seem to say No to Cooper because we could be throwing out quite possibly the best WR trio in the league next year with him.   

Also, not sure why it wouldn't let me post the link on 11 personnel. 

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2014/2013-offensive-personnel-analysis

IMO?  I don't know.  I think Kerley is fine and if you dump him you are looking at trotting a total JAG out there if/when Decker and Marshall get hurt.  They both will.  There are plenty of scenarios where 4WRs are on the field at the same time.  That would be a nice problem to have and frankly I would prefer it to all these CBs.  That is a bunch of money in WRs, but Kerley's figure is not enough to make it worth cutting him and I'm pretty sure your numbers are off.  Kerley signed a $16M extension during last season.  He got like a $3M bonus and Jason's site shows prorated bonus of $2.4M remaining.  If they cut him that gets accelerated and you will have paid him $3M plus $2M for the lost 2014 season.  Okay, it's a new regime, but that does not seem to be good business.

EDIT: Upon further review it appears that you mixed up the cap savings and dead money columns on Jason's site.  My reading is that there would be $200K in cap savings and $2.4M in dead money if you cut Kerley.  $600K per year of pro=rated bonus over 4 years.  Still want to dump him?  . 

Go back to that page, flip the cut from pre June 1st to post June 1st and look again.  I don't want to cut Kerley before the end of Camp just in case someone gets hurt.  If I draft Cooper at 6, and everyone is healthy after the last pre season game, I am cutting Kerley.  

Of course Cooper will have a bigger impact on our offense than Mariota. Cris Carter, the man who knows more about the WR position than anyone on Earth, he loves Cooper.

I'm just hoping White and Mariota go in the first 5 picks so we can get him.

I like Cooper, but Cris Carter is a moron. 

Calvin Johnson, he's very, very good at Madden and Tecmo Bowl or whatever they are playing now.” Carter said. “But on film, when I watch film, and I break down the film, he’s not to the point of these guys yet.”     

“I made eight Pro Bowls,” Carter said. “I made it with five different quarterbacks. They weren’t always great. So I don’t want to hear the excuse that I’m not playing with a great quarterback.”     

Carter also downgraded Johnson, he said, because “right now you don’t have to double team him to take him out of the game.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/12/cris-carter-calvin-johnson-is-great-in-video-games-not-in-real-football/

Go back to that page, flip the cut from pre June 1st to post June 1st and look again.  I don't want to cut Kerley before the end of Camp just in case someone gets hurt.  If I draft Cooper at 6, and everyone is healthy after the last pre season game, I am cutting Kerley.  

Maybe, but I don't see how that matters.  In fact, I think it would be a mistake.  Keep the best players.  If he is a post June1 cut the bonus just gets accelerated to next year.  So you would have a $1.8M charge next year + 600K this year.  Same thing.  $2.4M for nothing and you will cut him to keep TJ Graham on the team.  They have the money this year, if they want to cut him better to get him off the books.

Folks the way it's played out, the drdetroit  from Asia happens to have a point.  It looks like there's only 2 positions that can improve this offensive team via the draft at pick 6 in 2015 and that is WR (Cooper) or OL (Scherff). 

All hail the Doctor.

Folks the way it's played out, the drdetroit  from Asia happens to have a point.  It looks like there's only 2 positions that can improve this offensive team via the draft at pick 6 in 2015 and that is WR (Cooper) or OL (Scherff). 

All hail the Doctor.

There will be several RBs, WRs, and OL drafted that are better than guys on your roster.  Probably a better QB too. The TE class is pretty weak this year, but Amaro can be upgraded too.  There will probably be at least 5 linemen picked after round 2 that are better than James Brewer

There will be several RBs, WRs, and OL drafted that are better than guys on your roster.  Probably a better QB too. The TE class is pretty weak this year, but Amaro can be upgraded too.  There will probably be at least 5 linemen picked after round 2 that are better than James Brewer

You maybe right, but I doubt it. But what you posted there above is why I will remain adamant about never drafting Safeties who can't cover and hit or TEs who can't block and catch with early round picks.  

Chris Ivory and Bilal Powell r extremely underrated by Jet fans . And yes, I would add an OT in the draft if I had the pick. IMO, the best way to improve this offense from where it is today is either improve the OL or give whoever the QB is another dynamic weapon .  

my opinion.

All hail the Doctor.

Well any pick at 6 would improve the team, if you pick melvin gordon/Gurley that would improve the team even if Ivory is good and powell is acceptable.  Mariota would improve the team because at the least he would be better than Simms.

As far as more immediate improvement WR and ol problaby yes.  But I would stick to Wr in that case totally because there is no olineman worthy of the 6 pick.

As a matter of fact I'll say that Scherff is not the 1st olineman off the board.

Draft Cooper, and the offense is immensely improved.  I think adding Cooper will have a bigger impact on this offense than any QB we can add reasonably (so not Rivers/Brees) for the offense, because it balances out our offense extremely well.  

Decker/Marshall both are great against one on one matchups.  If we can get someone like Cooper on the field as the No. 3 WR, how are defenses going to defend against it, without selling out against the pass.  All three of them could beat man coverage, IMO.  We're already a good running team, so that should only help our RBs.  You add three WRs that can scare defenses, plus Amaro as another option?  

On any given play, this is what the defense has to account for, assuming we can go in 11 personnel.  Which btw is apparently the most effective personnel in the NFL (

Decker:  Very good route runner, has good speed, size, hands, gets out of his breaks extremely well, and is a hard one on one cover.

Marshall:  Another very good route runner, good speed, good hands, great size, can catch over the middle, over power CBs, and is a nightmare one on one. 

Cooper:   Very good route runner, excellent speed, good hands, good size for slot, can catch the ball all over the field, tracks the deep pass extremely well, and a nightmare one on one. 

Amaro:  A good pass catching TE, with excellent size, mediocre hands, decent speed for a TE.  

Ivory:  Assuming we don't draft a mid round RB, very good after contact (thus if you only account for one guy to tackle him, there is a good chance he'll break it), north/south runner, can catch balls out of the backfield but not his strength, and has ok speed but not great.  

Geno:  Assuming he beats out Fitz, can run in open space if needed to pick up yards, so you can't completely abandon the middle on plays, and he's used to running out of spread options.  

And the last aspect is the spread option, so all the defenders are spread out as far as possible.  This move also helps account for injuries so if Marshall or Decker is hurt (which both of them were last year), Cooper can slide right into the No. 2 position and be just fine there as well.   We can have Kerley as the No. 4 guy to start.  The moves helps the entire offense because defenses can't afford to blitz nearly as much (thus helping pass protection), and they can't commit nearly as much to run stopping (thus helping run blocking).  

Hoping we we get Cooper at 6,  with Marshals age and injury last year we could be right back where we were last year if he goes down.

Archived