Improve this Offensive unit

Tinstar

You maybe right, but I doubt it. But what you posted there above is why I will remain adamant about never drafting Safeties who can't cover and hit or TEs who can't block and catch with early round picks.  

Chris Ivory and Bilal Powell r extremely underrated by Jet fans . And yes, I would add an OT in the draft if I had the pick. IMO, the best way to improve this offense from where it is today is either improve the OL or give whoever the QB is another dynamic weapon .  

my opinion.

Ivory is underrated, Powell is overrated here

Drafting Scherff at 6 would be equal to drafting locker, gabbert, ponder.  We want an olineman so lets artificially boost the value of a player into the top 6.  i know some of you would love to draft an olineman to make that part of the team rock solid.  that would be fine if there were any olineman even remotely worthy of a top 6 pick value wise.  there isn't.

Make the offense better for this draft?  Cooper or White at 6, olineman or RB for the 2nd rounder.  Although I'm nor personally in favor of this you could also draft Mariota at 6.

Scherff has been compared to Zack Martin.  I am not found of him at 6th either; prefer to trade down if possible.  Take Scherff or BPA (OL/OLB/WR/RB)

Scherff has been compared to Zack Martin. I am not found of him at 6th either; prefer to trade down if possible. Take Scherff or BPA (OL/OLB/WR/RB)

First of all Scherff can play OT. He was excellent at pass protection at LT in Iowa protecting a drop back qb. If we draft Scherff most likely he starts out at RT and we can bench the liability Giacomini.

I would love Cooper or DGB but I have a hard time thinking Cooper will fall to 6 or DGB to 37.

Now Gregory at 37 is a possibility

Where are you getting your information that Gregory will fall to the 2nd round??  He will not make it to 20. 

First of all Scherff can play OT. He was excellent at pass protection at LT in Iowa protecting a drop back qb. If we draft Scherff most likely he starts out at RT and we can bench the liability Giacomini.

I think you, me, the player and his college HC are probably the only people who believe this. 

Outside of Fowler I think Cooper and White are more a sure thing than any of the other OLB prospects.

Deckers contract is cuttable after this season, realistically he's who would go if we took one of those two marquee wideouts at 6.

I think we almost definitely go RB in round 2 or 3.

If you cut Decker after this year it costs you $4.5m in dead room to save $3.5m. Following year it's $3m / $5.75m

Marshall, on the other hand, has no cap hit after this year, and gets you back $8.1m next year, $8.5m the year after.

If we draft a WR at 6, he'll get a deal along the lines of Jake Matthews last year (4 years, $16.5m). Let's say $18m to account for increases year on year. That's pretty cap-friendly for (hopefully) your #1 WR for 2016 - 2019 (including the option year).

Taking a WR, and working him in on the rotation in Year 1, to take over full time in Year 2, at a lower cap hit, would be a sound move. Plus you get younger at the position (do you reckon Marshall will still be here in 2019?).

I've wanted this team to pick a WR for so many years, best they did so far was Stephen Hill ... maybe this is the year?

Not if you want to win a SB. Rookies get scale nowadays anyway.

What? Cooper guarantees a Superbowl?  What about Devin Smith,  Phillip Dorsett, Rashad Greene, Breshard Perriman and about half a dozen other receivers who we could draft later to compliment Decker, Marshall and Kerley?  Geez, Cooper is good but come on....  We need find a way to put the Bradys of the world on their back; you do that with a pass rush, just ask the Giants.  

If you cut Decker after this year it costs you $4.5m in dead room to save $3.5m. Following year it's $3m / $5.75m

Marshall, on the other hand, has no cap hit after this year, and gets you back $8.1m next year, $8.5m the year after.

If we draft a WR at 6, he'll get a deal along the lines of Jake Matthews last year (4 years, $16.5m). Let's say $18m to account for increases year on year. That's pretty cap-friendly for (hopefully) your #1 WR for 2016 - 2019 (including the option year).

Taking a WR, and working him in on the rotation in Year 1, to take over full time in Year 2, at a lower cap hit, would be a sound move. Plus you get younger at the position (do you reckon Marshall will still be here in 2019?).

I've wanted this team to pick a WR for so many years, best they did so far was Stephen Hill ... maybe this is the year?

If we take Cooper and miss out on the top pass rushers I am going to be pissed.  There are a ton of quality receivers in this draft and about may be 5 or 6 pass rush prospects.   In the second we should have one or two following available at 37: Devin Smith, Phillip Dorsett, Sammie Coates, Rashad Greene, Breshard Perriman.  Third round: Chris Conley, Tony Lippett, Stefon Diggs to name a few.  

I mean as a top prospect; that was meant as a compliment.  If he has a season half as good as Martin whatever team that drafts him will be very happy.  

Well any pick at 6 would improve the team, if you pick melvin gordon/Gurley that would improve the team even if Ivory is good and powell is acceptable.  Mariota would improve the team because at the least he would be better than Simms.

As far as more immediate improvement WR and ol problaby yes.  But I would stick to Wr in that case totally because there is no olineman worthy of the 6 pick.

As a matter of fact I'll say that Scherff is not the 1st olineman off the board.

For some reason, Cam Irving, Lael Collins, Ereck Flowers, Andrus Peat, Jake Fisher, TJ Clemmings, Daryl Williams, Rob Havenstein, Austin Shepard etc. etc. are chopped liver.  There will be quality offensive linemen available in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounds.  I like Scherff this obsession with him by some is getting rediculous.   

If we take Cooper and miss out on the top pass rushers I am going to be pissed.  There are a ton of quality receivers in this draft and about may be 5 or 6 pass rush prospects.   In the second we should have one or two following available at 37: Devin Smith, Phillip Dorsett, Sammie Coates, Rashad Greene, Breshard Perriman.  Third round: Chris Conley, Tony Lippett, Stefon Diggs to name a few.  

If we go pass rush at 6 and WR in Round 2 I'd be fine with that - but I want us to draft a guy who has a strong chance to become a #1 / #1a type WR. Not a guy who has a 50/50 chance to maybe turn out to be an OK slot guy, like our approach has been recently.

If we go pass rush at 6 and WR in Round 2 I'd be fine with that - but I want us to draft a guy who has a strong chance to become a #1 / #1a type WR. Not a guy who has a 50/50 chance to maybe turn out to be an OK slot guy, like our approach has been recently.

I totally agree with you.  My personal choice would be Sammie Coates because from an upside standpoint he can be as good as anyone in this draft.  I would also be okay with Devin Smith as he is probably a bit more polished and then Phillip Dorsett who looks like he is a burner in the Santana Moss mold.  

What? Cooper guarantees a Superbowl? What about Devin Smith, Phillip Dorsett, Rashad Greene, Breshard Perriman and about half a dozen other receivers who we could draft later to compliment Decker, Marshall and Kerley? Geez, Cooper is good but come on.... We need find a way to put the Bradys of the world on their back; you do that with a pass rush, just ask the Giants.

I love how amateur capologists derail threads second-guessing obvious moves. If Cooper is there at 6 you take him and run. You dont draft another crappy OLB who can't sniff the qb.

I love how amateur capologists derail threads second-guessing obvious moves. If Cooper is there at 6 you take him and run. You dont draft another crappy OLB who can't sniff the qb.

Okay MacCag... I'm sorry who are you again?  Your hate for the pass rushers in this draft is starting to border on pathological... 

• 2 weeks later...

Go back to that page, flip the cut from pre June 1st to post June 1st and look again.  I don't want to cut Kerley before the end of Camp just in case someone gets hurt.  If I draft Cooper at 6, and everyone is healthy after the last pre season game, I am cutting Kerley.  

Cutting Kerley would be completely idiotic.

Cutting Kerley would be completely idiotic.

You maybe right. but let's do a hypothetical :

Kerley can't be cut until after June 1st  to acquire the proper cap savings.  By then, the draft would have been done and let's say we took  Amari Cooper. The 3 top wide receivers would be Decker, Marshall and Cooper . Without adding anymore via this draft the next 3.

The Jets next 3 Receivers are  Kerley, Evans and Enunwa

The rest are Powell, Owusu , Graham and Saalim 

How many WRs are you going to go into the season with and at what cost to the Cap ?

You maybe right. but let's do a hypothetical :

Kerley can't be cut until after June 1st  to acquire the proper cap savings.  By then, the draft would have been done and let's say we took  Amari Cooper. The 3 top wide receivers would be Decker, Marshall and Cooper . Without adding anymore via this draft the next 3.

The Jets next 3 Receivers are  Kerley, Evans and Enunwa

The rest are Powell, Owusu , Graham and Saalim 

How many WRs are you going to go into the season with and at what cost to the Cap ?

In Gailey's offense you keep 6. The first 4 are Decker, Marshall, Cooper and Kerley. The final two are from Evans, Enunwa, Owusu, etc....

You don't cut your 4th receiver that you just signed to save money against the cap. We will be a balanced team under Bowles, and we are not just going to pay the defense. Plus all of the receivers easily fit under our cap.

In Gailey's offense you keep 6. The first 4 are Decker, Marshall, Parker and Kerley. The final two are from Evans, Enunwa, Owusu, etc....

You don't cut your 4th receiver that you just signed to save money against the cap. We will be a balanced team under Bowles, and we are not just going to pay the defense. Plus all of the receivers easily fit under our cap.

Fixed :)

Truthfully, this team would be benefit the most by taking whomever they feel is the best of the Ray/Beasley/Fowler trio, and take Justin Hardy in round 2 instead of hoping Harold is there. Hardy will be a target machine in Gailey's offense and quickly make himself the #3 we can't afford to take off the field. 

Fixed :)

Truthfully, this team would be benefit the most by taking whomever they feel is the best of the Ray/Beasley/Fowler trio, and take Justin Hardy in round 2 instead of hoping Harold is there. Hardy will be a target machine in Gailey's offense and quickly make himself the #3 we can't afford to take off the field. 

I tend to agree, but only if we stay at 6 . I think the Jets need to trade down badly, or trade an asset for a mid round pick . We really need a pick in the 5th or 6th round . 

What you wrote equates to what I posted in another thread about picking the player that fits what you want to do.  

So is it BPA or BPA that fits the team you're building.

I submit to you that if you look at it from the BPA that fits what you're building, you come away with Cooper being the better option than White.  

Maybe, maybe not. What truly was idiotic was giving him the contract he got.

Can't agree even if I wasn't expecting it at the time. Remember who the Jets had at WR before Kerley got that contract ? Remember who was starting for the Jets last yr when Decker couldn't play ?  Kerley's contract is not a big deal. If he's cut after June 1st he leaves us with 600 grand in dead money and saves us 2mil against the cap. If he stays, it's no big deal either way.

Kerley is like Chrebet and  Cotchery  before him. Jet fans think the team can't get along without them because of how well they  play. In an offense, one of the major receivers should be able to scare you on the deep routes and be sure handed. That's not Decker or Marshall . It's not Kerley or Amaro.

The 3 best fits IMO are Cooper, Nelson Agholor and  Devin Smith.

I tend to agree, but only if we stay at 6 . I think the Jets need to trade down badly, or trade an asset for a mid round pick . We really need a pick in the 5th or 6th round .

What you wrote equates to what I posted in another thread about picking the player that fits what you want to do.

So is it BPA or BPA that fits the team you're building.

I submit to you that if you look at it from the BPA that fits what you're building, you come away with Cooper being the better option than White.

I think Parker is a better option than both. But I also love what Ray brings to the table.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived