Pats' trick play vs Baltimore no longer allowed

Sperm Edwards

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, yeah yeah...they are all run properly except by the Patriots :screwy: .

While there are some excuted properly, a good chunk of them are no more than pick plays.

Mornhinweg ran a ton of pick plays this year.  The Jets were so inept at running them there were a couple that were actually called.  It is so simple to run the pattern into a DB without looking like you are blocking the guy, the Jets were feeble.

Cliff avril was removed from SB  JUles wasnt and should have

Slight difference.  Jules got up...barely,but he got up.

I am not saying Edelmen I would have any issue with Jules being yanked if the new rule was implemented.  He looked light headed at the very least.

Mornhinweg ran a ton of pick plays this year.  The Jets were so inept at running them there were a couple that were actually called.  It is so simple to run the pattern into a DB without looking like you are blocking the guy, the Jets were feeble.

I know.  I think Amendola was called for a pick a time or two.

When run properly, IMHO, the pickee still has a chance to catch the ball like in a bunch play.  Again, all I am saying a lot of times, the pickee has no intention of being able to catch the ball.  There action causes the DB to jump out of the way for fear of breathing on the WR.  Sort of like Welker's pick on Talib a few years ago.

That's what makes it borderline.  Initially I figured it's gotta' be 100% on the refs for not knowing their jobs.  Having since learned that situations like this are supposed to be brought to the refs attention prior to the game puts it less on the refs and more on the Pats.  If the league sees a need to set up a meeting for a team to clue the refs in to any tricks and the Pats kept it to themselves then the league, at the very least should have outed the Pats for doing so after the game to go along with a small fine to expose them for cheating again.  However, since that is pure speculation and nobody knows what did or did not take place in the meetings, I'll say it was great work by NE.

Here is why I think that is crap.

Those plays and the Edelman pass to Amendola were clearly plays pulled out of the nether regions due to being down by 14 and fear the game was going to get out of hand.

What is Belichick supposed to do?  "Hey, ref thank you for allowing me too interrupt your *wink*wink* gauging of Tom's balls, but when we are down 14 in the third we are going to start bringing in an OL as eligible and make an eligible number ineligible.  Capisce?"

Slight difference.  Jules got up...barely,but he got up.

I am not saying Edelmen I would have any issue with Jules being yanked if the new rule was implemented.  He looked light headed at the very least.

I know.  I think Amendola was called for a pick a time or two.

When run properly, IMHO, the pickee still has a chance to catch the ball like in a bunch play.  Again, all I am saying a lot of times, the pickee has no intention of being able to catch the ball.  There action causes the DB to jump out of the way for fear of breathing on the WR.  Sort of like Welker's pick on Talib a few years ago.

Here is why I think that is crap.

Those plays and the Edelman pass to Amendola were clearly plays pulled out of the nether regions due to being down by 14 and fear the game was going to get out of hand.

What is Belichick supposed to do?  "Hey, ref thank you for allowing me too interrupt your *wink*wink* gauging of Tom's balls, but when we are down 14 in the third we are going to start bringing in an OL as eligible and make an eligible number ineligible.  Capisce?"

Coaches know what plays they have at their disposal.  If any of them are quirky/rare/obscure then they're supposed to tell the official.  Again, I'm not going to pretend I knew about these meetings between refs and coaches before this  happened, but knowing that the league has that policy in place for that very reason puts it on the Pats if they chose to omit something that they knew that had up theirs  sleeve as an option to run during the game.

So much bullsh*t in this thread. It's like a spin room of total bullsh*t, placed inside a homer echo chamber.

The tuck rule never benefited anyone but the Pats? LOL

I saw Big Ben gain from the Tuck rule, I saw Manning gain from the Tuck rule. If I'm not mistaken, the Tuck rule was called AGAINST the Patriots in the 2001 regular season, FAVORING THE FREAKING JETS.

I see multiple people in this thread saying that the only time it was called was in the Pats v Raiders game.

THE BUTTHURT SO STRONG

The tuck rule was called in Week 2 of an NFL regular season match-up on September 23, 2001, between the New England Patriots and the New York Jets.[3] In the waning minutes of the second quarter, Patriots' defensive end Anthony Pleasant apparently forced Jets quarterback Vinny Testaverde to fumble the ball. Patriots' defensive end Richard Seymour made a recovery.[4] The call was overturned upon review and ruled an incomplete with the tuck rule cited. The Jets would go on to tie the game with a field goal on that drive and then eventually win in overtime.

In the aftermath of the Tuck Rule Game, Patriots head coach Bill Belichick referred to this game, telling ESPN, "I knew what the ruling should have been because we had dealt with that play a little bit earlier in the year on the other side of it."[5]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuck_rule

You people are so full of freaking crap, it isn't even funny. LEARN FOOTBALL, NEWBS

Regarding Edelman, CONSIDERING THEY WERE MUCH MORE SENSITIVE TO CONCUSSIONS THIS YEAR Edelman being allowed to go back into that game after CLEARLY being concussed.

He was stumbling around.

With the lawsuits going on & how sensitive the NFL is regarding them, Edelman staying in that game was a HUGE FAUX PAS.

Thus the new EDELMAN RULE!

ROFL

I can just imagine you during the game yelling at the TV to have Edelman brought back to the locker room. I mean, I BET YOU WERE FIRST AND FOREMOST CONCERNED ABOUT HIS SAFETY, RIGHT?

You people are so full of sh*t. Honestly, in any thread the Patriots are mentioned, it becomes an echo chambers of LIARS pretending to talk about integrity. The IRONY of that.

I'm sure Edelman's safety was just paramount for you. WHY THE HELL DO YOU PEOPLE EVEN BOTHER WITH THESE DUMB CHARADES?

I honestly don't get it. You hate the Patriots, but to give that hate some added credibility you put on these SORRY PERFORMANCES about being concerned about game-integrity or player safety.

JUST STFU. It's SAD and PATHETIC.

ROFL

I can just imagine you during the game yelling at the TV to have Edelman brought back to the locker room. I mean, I BET YOU WERE FIRST AND FOREMOST CONCERNED ABOUT HIS SAFETY, RIGHT?

You people are so full of sh*t. Honestly, in any thread the Patriots are mentioned, it becomes an echo chambers of LIARS pretending to talk about integrity. The IRONY of that.

I'm sure Edelman's safety was just paramount for you. WHY THE HELL DO YOU PEOPLE EVEN BOTHER WITH THESE DUMB CHARADES?

I honestly don't get it. You hate the Patriots, but to give that hate some added credibility you put on these SORRY PERFORMANCES about being concerned about game-integrity or player safety.

Somebody didn't get his juice this morning.

Somebody didn't get his juice this morning.

lmao.

Caps are great for emphasis, BRO.

But it is freaking pathetic. It's certainly not all Jet fans by any stretch of the imagination. This forum alone has a ton of SANE football posters. You, T0m, SAR, the moderator guy with the guy-wearing-glasses-face avatar, plenty of others.

But there's another variety of fans, that aren't at all exclusive to the Jets, that are just freaking pathetic in the political-theater they engage in while attacking a football team. The Steelers have them, the Ravens have them, the Jets have them, the Broncos have them. Basically every team that the Patriots have dumped on in the last 14 years has that kind of fan.

Bringing up player-safety like they give three dusty ****'s about it just to add some sorry, disingenuous illusion of credibility to their complaining.

Like anyone complaining about Edelman actually cared in the slightest about his "safety." They just wanted a Patriot star taken off the field to diminish their chances of winning.

Like anyone complaining thinks LEGAL formations are "unethical" and against the "spirit of the rules." They just wanted the Patriots to LOSE.

Instead of just saying that, though, I'm forced to suffer reading through this absolute bullsh*t about "integrity" and "concussion awareness"

WHAT A FREAKING JOKE.

Colin_Farrel-Disgusted.gif

How dare you cut me out of my rightful place amongst the JN sane! Don't think I don't know you did it on purpose, either!

This forum alone has a ton of SANE football posters. You, T0m, SAR, the moderator guy with the guy-wearing-glasses-face avatar, plenty of others.

ROFL

Just because Edelman stumbled to his feet doesn't prove he was ready to go.

My point is that all year the NFL was OVER THE TOP regarding player safety & especially concussions the idea that he was CHECKED OUT & it was determined he was OK was a joke.

I could care less if he ends up with scrambled eggs for brains, it's just so funny that now there's an Edelman rule, footballs will not be handled by the home team, and now there is a new rule regarding the eligible ineligible rule.

There is a reason the Patriots are hated by the entire country it's not just about winning 4 Superbowls.

lmao.

But it is freaking pathetic. It's certainly not all Jet fans by any stretch of the imagination. This forum alone has a ton of SANE football posters. You, T0m, SAR, the moderator guy with the guy-wearing-glasses-face avatar, plenty of others.

But there's another variety of fans, that aren't at all exclusive to the Jets, that are just freaking pathetic in the political-theater they engage in while attacking a football team. The Steelers have them, the Ravens have them, the Jets have them, the Broncos have them. Basically every team that the Patriots have dumped on in the last 14 years has that kind of fan.

Bringing up player-safety like they give three dusty ****'s about it just to add some sorry, disingenuous illusion of credibility to their complaining.

Like anyone complaining about Edelman actually cared in the slightest about his "safety." They just wanted a Patriot star taken off the field to diminish their chances of winning.

Like anyone complaining thinks LEGAL formations are "unethical" and against the "spirit of the rules." They just wanted the Patriots to LOSE.

Instead of just saying that, though, I'm forced to suffer reading through this absolute bullsh*t about "integrity" and "concussion awareness"

WHAT A FREAKING JOKE.

I think it's more than juice you didn't get this morning. I don't think any of us or at least I didn't realize that Edelman was in trouble. In fact it was a Patriot fan I know who brought it up to me. He felt it was poor judgement by the Patriots risking Edelman at all costs to win but as you say who cares they won.

I don't understand the friggin obsession with the Pats. We as a fan base act like obsessed teenage girls when it comes to the Pats.

Like, OMG, did you see what they were wearing, OMG, so awful, Like totally. I don't know how Johnny dates her, she is sooooo totally ugly, like disgusting.

Get over it, grow a set of balls and act like men. Beat them on the field, stop with the obsession already. Every time a Patriot farts there is a 10 page thread about it.

I don't understand the friggin obsession with the Pats. We as a fan base act like obsessed teenage girls when it comes to the Pats.

Like, OMG, did you see what they were wearing, OMG, so awful, Like totally. I don't know how Johnny dates her, she is sooooo totally ugly, like disgusting.

Get over it, grow a set of balls and act like men. Beat them on the field, stop with the obsession already. Every time a Patriot farts there is a 10 page thread about it.

lmao.

WHAT A FREAKING JOKE.

You turned down a small wager that had an end result of helping veterans. You have absolutely no basis for criticizing anyone on this site. Ever.

might be the best description of a lennon photo ever

Coaches know what plays they have at their disposal.  If any of them are quirky/rare/obscure then they're supposed to tell the official.  Again, I'm not going to pretend I knew about these meetings between refs and coaches before this  happened, but knowing that the league has that policy in place for that very reason puts it on the Pats if they chose to omit something that they knew that had up theirs  sleeve as an option to run during the game.

I do not disagree with your point.

I imagine all the plays are in play especially when it is the playoffs.  All I am saying is expecting the Patriots to divulge everything they could possibly use is impossible.  They used it to counter the Ravens' pass rush in a game they were down by two TDs. 

Again, I do not think Belichick should be expected to tell a ref, when we are down by 14 and the Ravens are rushing practically unabated due to the score we are going to bring in an unbalanced line where a player is lined off the line, but is ineligible.

The ref did his part in informing Vereen is ineligible.  Should the Patriots be penalized when trailing and time is a precious commodity by wasting seconds for the Ravens to get their sh*t together?  No.

Regarding Edelman, CONSIDERING THEY WERE MUCH MORE SENSITIVE TO CONCUSSIONS THIS YEAR Edelman being allowed to go back into that game after CLEARLY being concussed.

He was stumbling around.

With the lawsuits going on & how sensitive the NFL is regarding them, Edelman staying in that game was a HUGE FAUX PAS.

Thus the new EDELMAN RULE!

Shouldn't it be the Russell WIlson rule?  He was absolutely crushed by Matthews, but because it is the Patriots...it is the Edelman Rule.

Just because Edelman stumbled to his feet doesn't prove he was ready to go.

My point is that all year the NFL was OVER THE TOP regarding player safety & especially concussions the idea that he was CHECKED OUT & it was determined he was OK was a joke.

I could care less if he ends up with scrambled eggs for brains, it's just so funny that now there's an Edelman rule, footballs will not be handled by the home team, and now there is a new rule regarding the eligible ineligible rule.

There is a reason the Patriots are hated by the entire country it's not just about winning 4 Superbowls.

3385870.gif

I do not disagree with your point.

I imagine all the plays are in play especially when it is the playoffs. All I am saying is expecting the Patriots to divulge everything they could possibly use is impossible. They used it to counter the Ravens' pass rush in a game they were down by two TDs.

Again, I do not think Belichick should be expected to tell a ref, when we are down by 14 and the Ravens are rushing practically unabated due to the score we are going to bring in an unbalanced line where a player is lined off the line, but is ineligible.

The ref did his part in informing Vereen is ineligible. Should the Patriots be penalized when trailing and time is a precious commodity by wasting seconds for the Ravens to get their sh*t together? No.

Shouldn't it be the Russell WIlson rule? He was absolutely crushed by Matthews, but because it is the Patriots...it is the Edelman Rule.

Right, but the meetings are set up for the very specific purpose of going over anything they may use that could cause confusion. The main purpose of running that play was to cause confusion. It worked and that's cool. What wouldn't be cool is if they didn't divulge it.

Right, but the meetings are set up for the very specific purpose of going over anything they may use that could cause confusion. The main purpose of running that play was to cause confusion. It worked and that's cool. What wouldn't be cool is if they didn't divulge it.

They are also supposed to inspect the footballs.  ;)

I hear you and agree.

I imagine the Phins did that 5-6 years ago when they ran those read options that gashed the Patriots that day.   It was a big part of the game plan.

I just do not think it is practical to do it on plays you do not intend to run, but have to due to game situation. 

Again, the refs identified the ineligibles. 

screen-shot-2014-10-27-at-11-25-26-am.pn

This summed up Rex & his assistant coaches.

That was like I was watching a kids movie (bad news bears) & they hide the fat kid & he wins the game.

Made me embarrassed to be Jets fan & at this point in our history that's pretty hard to do.

Archived