Ways Football Was Better In the 1980's vs Today (and Vice-Versa)

TuscanyTile2

===============================================

Better in the 1980s:

-Vicious hitting was legal.  I totally understand why this has been outlawed (horrific for a player's health) but, from a fan's perspective, it was incredible.

-The running game meant more.  Fans always like passing (I always did too - especially Dan Fouts' Chargers) but I think the game has gone too far.  Now the game feels too "arena league" to me.

-Stadiums had more character.  Think RFK stadium with the fans on top of the players and the place going nuts.  I also think of how crappy veterans stadium in Philly was.  The field was kinda ripped up and the turf looked painful to land on.

-Fewer teams.  I could live without the Jaguars/Panthers etc.  I knew the divisions better too.

-Way better announcers.  Vin Scully, Dick Enberg, Merlin Olsen, Pat Summerall, John Madden, Tom Brookshier, Charlie Jones, Marv Albert, Don Criqui, Howard Cosell.

-Way better pre-game shows.  Brent Musberger, Irv Cross, Jimmy the Greek, Phyllis George.

Better Nowadays:

-Way better cheerleaders nowadays.

-HD TV plus way more angles of plays.

-Having a Sunday night game.  I would've loved a Sunday night football game back in the 80s.

The NFL has not been immune to the Walmart-ization of America.

In 1990 Bill Parcells won a Super Bowl playing a "3 yards and a cloud of dust" offense with Hostetler, and they beat the Bills, the best passing offense in football.

Now it's become all about quarterbacks. We basically have 7-on-7 games now with no kickoffs.  A team like the 1990 Giants could NEVER win today.

Oh, and cocaine.  Apparently that was all the rage back then.  Maybe that's partly why defenses were more vicious?  LT we know for sure was on it.

The NFL has not been immune to the Walmart-ization of America.

In 1990 Bill Parcells won a Super Bowl playing a "3 yards and a cloud of dust" offense with Hostetler, and they beat the Bills, the best passing offense in football.

Now it's become all about quarterbacks. We basically have 7-on-7 games now with no kickoffs. A team like the 1990 Giants could NEVER win today.

Oh, and cocaine. Apparently that was all the rage back then. Maybe that's partly why defenses were more vicious? LT we know for sure was on it.

I'll agree. Personally I enjoy the physical, defensive teams with running games that will out hit and out work you. We came close in 09 and 10 with this style (which is a minor miracle) but it would be a major miracle to win that way WITHOUT a franchise QB now.

In my opinion it's changed for the worse. Less teams have a chance at winning it all as you need that top 7-8 QB to win it all.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

80's much better because:

1. players stayed on the same team for a long time, and you got to grow with and love the players on your team; today we root for laundry

2. silly self promotional celebrations were rare (Billy White Shoes Johnson, Gastineau),so it was a novelty when it happened. Today, it's embarrassing.

3. Monday night football with Cosell, Gifford, Meredith just made the game seem important, and when your team was on, it was awesome  to be in the spotlight.

4. Wesley Walker and John Riggins (more 70's than 80's?)

5. You got to see a huddle instead of a commercial

6. Ray Scotts voice doing a playoff game: "This is Bruce Taylor".....and then letting you watch the play and hear the crowd. It was so dramatic.  Him and Summeral were low key, but the effect was much better than the chatterboxes you have today.

80's was worse because:

1. Didn't get to see all the Jet games on TV, and had to wait for Sports Extra on Channel 5  with Bill Mazer later that night to see a few highlights. On the upside, you had Marty Glickman calling it on the radio: "Out of the huddle come the Jets; Namath barks the signals....) 

-The running game meant more.  Fans always like passing (I always did too - especially Dan Fouts' Chargers) but I think the game has gone too far.  Now the game feels too "arena league" to me.

I totally agree on that. The rules really don't ALLOW you to play defense anymore. Calls like defensive holding and pass interference are too arbitrary and seem to be called when the refs decide the game needs to be 'evened up' which makes me suspicious as hell. The league is driven by QB's and lawyers who write the rulebook so that ANY call can be interpreted as the right call. I am not as avid a fan of the NFL as I once was and I think a lot of fans feel that way BECAUSE of the ways the officials call games. 

Bring back the bump and run.  Let the WR's and CB's dual more and stop with the bias toward the WR in calling interference. Back in the day, a big play was something a receiver had to earn. I like the two point conversion and being able to overturn most bad calls. Hate the way stadiums are sensory overload with 101 distractions encouraging fans not to watch the game. $16 for a Jets/Dolphin game at the Orange Bowl, even it meant sitting with the crack smokers.

Archived