Ways Football Was Better In the 1980's vs Today (and Vice-Versa)

TuscanyTile2

The 60's, man.  AFL was outasite!

Remember the KC-Minnesota Superbowl - a AFL vs NFL classic. Somehow I remember it much more vividly than the Jets victory over the Colts, probably the difference being I was a year older (12 at the time.) . In any case, they had these betting slips and the Chiefs were 17 point underdogs. My father was saying that people think that the AFL are pussy cats, but Robert Holmes and Carl Garret  aint no pussy cats, neither is Otis Taylor or Frank PItts. NFL had the establishment Joe Kapp, Page, Ellis etc, similar to the matchup the year before where the maverick Jets were playing the establishment Earl Moral/Bart Starr types.  KC killed Minnesota, partly with exciting razzle dazzle end arounds to Frank Pitts... Nobody was selling the AFL short after that.  It was all kind of similar to the ABA vs NBA. People were mocking the ABA, but the stars in the ABA were awesome and a lot more exciting.

Remember the KC-Minnesota Superbowl - a AFL vs NFL classic. Somehow I remember it much more vividly than the Jets victory over the Colts, probably the difference being I was a year older (12 at the time.) . In any case, they had these betting slips and the Chiefs were 17 point underdogs. My father was saying that people think that the AFL are pussy cats, but Robert Holmes and Carl Garret  aint no pussy cats, neither is Otis Taylor or Frank PItts. NFL had the establishment Joe Kapp, Page, Ellis etc, similar to the matchup the year before where the maverick Jets were playing the establishment Earl Moral/Bart Starr types.  KC killed Minnesota, partly with exciting razzle dazzle end arounds to Frank Pitts... Nobody was selling the AFL short after that.  It was all kind of similar to the ABA vs NBA. People were mocking the ABA, but the stars in the ABA were awesome and a lot more exciting.

Joe Kapp except for that year was a terrible QB that thought he was a LB'er..Defense was the star of that team with the purple people eaters.. Kapp who came from Canadian football threw a pass that looked like a ruptured duck.. But I agree after the Jets win the year before that win sealed the deal that the merger was a good idea.. 

I am watching it now.  Sound quality is terrible, but I am chromecasting it to the small TV.  My Dad said there was a fight, but I have not been able to find it.  I think he might have confused it with the Raiders AFC championship game.   Buck Buchanan!  RIght now a guy is reading the national anthem. 

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x22ay9p_nfl-1970-super-bowl-iv-minnesota-vikings-vs-kansas-city-chiefs_shortfilms

Joe Kapp except for that year was a terrible QB that thought he was a LB'er..Defense was the star of that team with the purple people eaters.. Kapp who came from Canadian football threw a pass that looked like a ruptured duck.. But I agree after the Jets win the year before that win sealed the deal that the merger was a good idea.. 

Kapp's numbers are like 3 feet apart.

Not sure how the stadiums in the 80's "had more character" when most of them were cookie cutter, multi-purpose stadiums.

I guess you never went to the dump named Sullivan Stadium. That place was a freaking zoo. Guys pissing through the chain link fence in the last row of the 300 section. People setting stuff on fire for no apparent reason.

Keyshawn Johnson said that walking down the ramp from the locker room at the old Sullivan/Foxboro Stadium was the most intimidating thing. That was because the Stadium had chain link fences that separated the west side of the stadium from the north endzone. There was a small concrete ramp where the visiting team had to walk down.

How did we all forget about AstroTurf? I'm amazed half the guys who played in the 70s & 80's can even walk nowadays. What was the logic behind AstroTurf? Hey, lets lay a thin covering of fake grass over concrete. Only Miami in the AFCE had real grass back in those days.

Good times.  The team rivalries and personal rivalries were intense in those days -- seemed like every team really hated every other team.  Wide open offense achieved through skill and creativity, not by manipulating rules and at the expense of players really hitting each other.  Guys like Ben Davidson and Willie Lanier were brutal.  In my lifetime this was the golden age.  Man, I looked forward to those games every week.

It's true - Kapp was awful, and Len Dawson was great,  but somehow it didn't stop the masses from thinking that Minny was gonna kill KC anyway. That's how underrated the AFL was.

Kapp's big weapon was that funky jump pass.  Talk about setting the game back a couple of decades.  But he was one tough SOB.  Kapp vs Roman Gabriel -- you couldn't find two tougher QB's.  Between the Vikes defense and the Fearsome Foursome they had some great games despite the lack of scoring.

I think the old man was a pioneer of picture-in-picture.  We always had two TV's running on Sundays. The big set had the NFL games on, and we rolled in the portable (almost as big) for the AFL games.

In the 80's the rivalries were stronger than today.  Jets/Dolphins was much stronger (Jets/Pats was weaker).  Redskins/Cowboys.  The Raiders were an enemy of several teams.  I liked how the Raiders were still a bad-ass team too (I liked rooting against). 

I guess you never went to the dump named Sullivan Stadium. That place was a freaking zoo. Guys pissing through the chain link fence in the last row of the 300 section. People setting stuff on fire for no apparent reason.

Keyshawn Johnson said that walking down the ramp from the locker room at the old Sullivan/Foxboro Stadium was the most intimidating thing. That was because the Stadium had chain link fences that separated the west side of the stadium from the north endzone. There was a small concrete ramp where the visiting team had to walk down.

How did we all forget about AstroTurf? I'm amazed half the guys who played in the 70s & 80's can even walk nowadays. What was the logic behind AstroTurf? Hey, lets lay a thin covering of fake grass over concrete. Only Miami in the AFCE had real grass back in those days.

I played on it in Italy.  I think they redid the field in 2011-2012, but the Vigorelli was AstroTurf when I was there.  I spent a good part of five years looking like I had crashed on the Alpine Slide at Class Action Park.  I was used to playing on concreted, so I was kind of prepared.  Kind of like playing full equipment tackle on the softball field in Dyker.  I guess the old 3 man line league in there was not that far off.

In the 80's the rivalries were stronger than today.  Jets/Dolphins was much stronger (Jets/Pats was weaker).  Redskins/Cowboys.  The Raiders were an enemy of several teams.  I liked how the Raiders were still a bad-ass team too (I liked rooting against). 

I remember the Pats dropping 50+ on us two years in a row in the late 70's.  **** you Harold Jackson and Stanley Morgan!  For some reason I never could hate Sam Bam Cunningham though.

80s less stoppages in in play, this is the main culprit, Man on man pass defense was eliminated in the late 70s

now, TV viewing experience, replay, more passing

I actually find there are less replays now. That no huddle sh*t means that we spend 45 seconds staring at Peyton yelling "Omaha! Omaha! 52 is the Mike!" between every play.

I actually find there are less replays now. That no huddle sh*t means that we spend 45 seconds staring at Peyton yelling "Omaha! Omaha! 52 is the Mike!" between every play.

There wasn't replays in the 80s, I am talking about actual replays by the refs. I like the rule, but hate the stoppages in the flow of the game. All the stoppages are offensive killers. The D gets to huddle up, and get their feet under them. 

In the 80s yu used to hear the saying "the defense is reeling" you never hear that now, every few plays there is a stoppage of some sort. 

There wasn't replays in the 80s, I am talking about actual replays by the refs. I like the rule, but hate the stoppages in the flow of the game. All the stoppages are offensive killers. The D gets to huddle up, and get their feet under them. 

In the 80s yu used to hear the saying "the defense is reeling" you never hear that now, every few plays there is a stoppage of some sort. 

I am talking about actual replays.  So I can see the play over. 

Besides, there were actual replays by the refs in the 80's.  Just not in the No Fun League.  The USFL had them and the crooked NFL copied them later on.  That league was great and the court decision was criminal

http://articles.latimes.com/1985-02-22/sports/sp-718_1_instant-replay

It is a trade off. The sport is much more competitive now and the players much more skilled (on average) but the tradeoff is that everything is totally corporatized now, from the chants in stadiums, to the nicknames given to the team or its players. It is impossible to know whether these things evolved organically or whether some 27 year old marketing whiz is responsible for names like "The Legion of Boom."

It is a trade off. The sport is much more competitive now and the players much more skilled (on average) but the tradeoff is that everything is totally corporatized now, from the chants in stadiums, to the nicknames given to the team or its players. It is impossible to know whether these things evolved organically or whether some 27 year old marketing whiz is responsible for names like "The Legion of Boom."

Remember the fight between the Oilers and Dolphins about their "theme" song?  The Bengals vs. Saints regarding who gets to say "Who dat?"

This is what the 49ers cheerleaders used to look like:

282573-0-600.jpg

Note - I accidentally gave negative reputation on this post, which I actually loved.  And now I don't know how to take it back.  Sorry!

Meanwhile, these girls need to cut loose and show us some ankle!

Archived