How Would YOU Build A Team ?

Smashmouth

'Franchise QB' is label that is tossed around imo that doesn't have as much meaning as people would like to think.  What makes a franchise Qb a franchise QB?

Eli Manning

Brad Johnson

Trent Dilfer

Joe Flacco

Then we have guys truly perceived to be franchise QBs such as peyton manning and rogers who have won it once.

Totally against popular opinion I don't think Russell wilson is as magnificent as he has been touted.  Stick him on the Jets and see how he does having to carry the load more.

Hell Mark Sanchez was one step away from being declared a 'franchise QB'

Without decent support a lot of 'franchise' guys never would have been 'franchise guys'

Put Aaron rogers on Houston starting day one with a horrid team and oline and David Carr sitting behind Favre for 3 years.

once again do you mean Franchise vs Elite ? In that respect I would agree. But Im not sure why people keep pushing Wilson around the guy has a 100 QB rating does everything he needs to do plus he can sling it when needed yet he's still not considered elite >? I think he certainly is

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3rd in the league in yards per completion, 1st in yards per game.  Maybe he wasnt a down field bomber but he was slinging it all over the field, more and better than anyone else in the league that season.  He was the MVP. 

Brees is in the same style and Brees throws for 5000 yards like its nothing they get it to their playmakers, of which they have many, and they make it happen. Brees is not slinging bombs all over the field neither was Gannon but the West coast offense is about short passing and creating mismatches in close that gain large amount of YAC. Its just a great offense run by great QB's

Wilson throes the ball 25 times a game, has perhaps the best back in the league and a monster defense.  He hasn't had to carry the team to any extent so far.  The whole league and most jets forums had Sanchez as being a near franchise guy when he was in the same boat.  It's one hell of a lot easier to play QB in this league when you have a great run game and the best D in the league.

Wilson throes the ball 25 times a game, has perhaps the best back in the league and a monster defense. He hasn't had to carry the team to any extent so far. The whole league and most jets forums had Sanchez as being a near franchise guy when he was in the same boat. It's one hell of a lot easier to play QB in this league when you have a great run game and the best D in the league.

not even close. Sanchez had a low completion % , a high int rate and was near the bottom of all the higher level QB rankings.

Only Rex and Pac thought he was elite.

Wilson throes the ball 25 times a game, has perhaps the best back in the league and a monster defense.  He hasn't had to carry the team to any extent so far.  The whole league and most jets forums had Sanchez as being a near franchise guy when he was in the same boat.  It's one hell of a lot easier to play QB in this league when you have a great run game and the best D in the league.

Sanchez was never in the class of a Wilson and never will be..... Wilson throws 26 TD's a year and keeps his Int's in the single digits. Sure he does not have to sling it all over the field because he has Lynch and that's the way that offense was designed to run and that's exactly the way I would like the Jets to design our offense to run.... the Question is will we get a QB good enough to run that type of offense as flawlessly as Wilson does ?

Sanchez was never in the class of a Wilson and never will be..... Wilson throws 26 TD's a year and keeps his Int's in the single digits. Sure he does not have to sling it all over the field because he has Lynch and that's the way that offense was designed to run and that's exactly the way I would like the Jets to design our offense to run.... the Question is will we get a QB good enough to run that type of offense as flawlessly as Wilson does ?

no.  We won't.  If wilson was a few inches taller he would have went top three along with RGIII and Luck,  his height made him drop.  He looked great in the combine,  No QB in the draft is anywhere near to being as NFL ready as 

wilson.

no.  We won't.  If wilson was a few inches taller he would have went top three along with RGIII and Luck,  his height made him drop.  He looked great in the combine,  No QB in the draft is anywhere near to being as NFL ready as 

wilson.

Crush Im not just talking about this year. if this organization and the guys that now run it feel our next QB is not in this draft then we need to start looking forward to future drafts and possibly trying to find a QB in the later rounds that can actually be developed or that simply slipped under the radar.

If I had the opportunity to build a football team from scratch, before I hired any coaches/Personell, before signing any free agents or drafting any players, my first line of business would be to schedule a meeting with Greg Popovich in order to sit down and listen to the things that he looks for in his players and coaching staff. 

And supposed the best you could get your hands on turned out to be Ryan Fitzpatrick?   ;-)

then thats who i play.

then i try to get 2 very good receivers and a beast runningback

on defense i try to put together the absolute best pass rush i can with a very good secondary

Making a case for running games. Teams have become obsessed with the Passing game due to guys like Brady, Brees and Manning Rodgers...... and I think that's a huge mistake. Those guys can be beat by solid defense and a great running game, and lets face it, the odds of getting a player like Brady, Brees or Manning comes around once every ten years. Brady's game is basically an extension of a running game because he throws a hell of a lot of short precise passes designed to gain in the 5 to 10 yard range  as does Peyton Manning.... Brees throws about 150 to 190 passes per year to his RB's. They also throw A LOT of very short TD passes rather than trying to ram the ball into the end zone the way  teams like Seattle do. (that's why that SB call was such a mystery to me and everyone else for that matter).

Throwing so many short passes really does not have the same effect on a defensive line as does ramming the ball down their throats. As a matter of fact, it probably puts more wear and tear on the O-line as they have to be in pass blocking mode to some extent rather than imposing themselves on the D-line wearing them down.

Teams can build in the Seattle / Jets of 09 and 10 / Ravens / Cardinals / Steelers mold and win championships they just all seem so caught up in the sexy passing games but if you look at all those Franchise QB's the only time they really win is when the team around them Is built to win they can do it all during the regular season beating inferior teams or middle of the road teams with pure QB dominance but all of that changes drastically in the playoffs. In other words if a guy Like Peyton Manning had a solid running game and ran the ball more you might just see more SB's to his credit. Sure a little less in the way of stats but a better winning formula IMHO. Maybe Brady Wins more SB's and fairs much better in the playoffs because he simply has a better football team so Peyton can have his 55 TD's Ill take the SB with 25 to 30 any day

What you also have is teams trying to build the passing dominant teams without the QB to do it and this is the single biggest mistake so many teams make. Are teams trying to force this philosophy rather than building around their QB's talents ? Do to many teams think they are going to get the Next Aaron Rodgers then when it does not pan out they just fold up and die ? Perfect example: Tim Tebow... sure he's a terrible QB but when he did have that big run with the Bronco's they didn't try to force him to be something he was not they played to his strengths and won football games. Reason Tebow is no longer in this league is because his type of game is simply not sustainable he would have eventually broke down and his effectiveness would have gone with it. But he does somewhat prove a point.

Ill take the balanced team with the reliable game manager who can play clutch and make all the throws over the big time gun slinger any day because in the clutch they choke just as much as the next guy in big games and we've all seen that over and over.

Lets get back to the team concept and stop trying to grab the next Dan Marino I would much rather have the next Russell Wilson

Cool idea for a thread. I am a football nerd and love this stuff.

I'd simply build a 4-3 based aggressive pass rushing unit. Like the Giants in 07'. That Nascar sh*t was brilliant. 4-3 players are easier to find, they are faster and if your front 7 is good enough you can field a lack luster secondary and still dominate.

As for the offense all I care about is the QB. The WR's and RB's are just decoration. If you churn through as many QB's a s possible until you find a guy with the right intangibles and physical skills (and durability) like Wilson or Luck and you make sure you have an Elite LT and a smart, high level center, the rest of the offense falls into place.

Place a guy like Philip Rivers on our current offense (even before the draft) and with the type of defense I described we win a super bowl. The only real variable is injuries. Like it always is in the NFL.

Archived