Can We Stop Using PFF ...

KRL

When they put Calvin Prior on their All-Rookie team, when they have K Wilson ranked highly, they lose all credibility.

I've been told Pryor got his spot because he played a lot of snaps. If snap counts play such a huge roll in their algorithm then they are simply wrong. A lot of teams are weak st certain positions, but someone has to play those snaps. Doesn't make them good players.

He was the best of a bad bunch of rookie safeties.  I think snaps should be taken in to account because what good would it be to declare some dude with 24 snaps as the best in the group?  You have to set a number somewhere.

I agree with Wilson which is why I said what I did earlier.

I 100% wholeheartedly agre that he is a terrible, terrible football player based on what I've seen from him on the field.  Being objective about it however, led me to wonder why, if he was as bad as I thought...isn't the opposing QB throwing his way on EVERY SINGLE PLAY, because that's what I would expect. 

Could it be that we're harder on the guy because he was a first round bust and he does that stupid finger wave when he gets beat deep and the QB overthrows the receiver?

Even still, his rating doesn't change my outlook because my outlook is that PFF can be a useful guide more times than not, but as with any system they aren't perfect.

The fact that at least thirteen NFL teams use their data as well as agents and head coaches tells me that they aren't just a bunch of nerds who don't understand football as some have implied.

If I had never watched an NFL game in my life, PFF would tell me that the Jets teams that made deep playoff runs were able to do so because of a dominant offensive line and defense that was able to overcome terrible quarterback play.  That would be 100% correct. 

It would also tell me that Revis and Sherman are among the elite CB's in the league while JJ Watt is in a league of his own.  I don't think those evaluations are off base.

I'm far from an expert and would never pretend to be...I'm a fan with an opinion but I do like to get as much info as I can to form  my opinion. I've been watching a lot of film lately to do some articles on jets acquisitions and when I've seen a player get manhandled one time too many, I've checked the PFF grades and seen that the guy earned a poor grade in that game.

To each his own, but going on a nonsensical tirade because somebody chooses reference data that can't be obtained elsewhere and is reliable enough for several NFL teams to utilize is a bit of a head scratcher...but funny nonetheless.

When they put Calvin Prior on their All-Rookie team, when they have K Wilson ranked highly, they lose all credibility.

I've been told Pryor got his spot because he played a lot of snaps. If snap counts play such a huge roll in their algorithm then they are simply wrong. A lot of teams are weak st certain positions, but someone has to play those snaps. Doesn't make them good players.

Well if you're the tallest midget, you're still the tallest ...

What PFF does has zero to do with algorithms. The way they try to come up with a one-number rating fails any kind of reasonable test of quantitative precision, which is why I don't pay a whole lot of attention to their grades, but at the end of the day they're just counting things, which is step one for any approach.

daballhawk? More like daballhwrong. Amirite?

I can show myself out thanks.

With the exception of the Twitter screenshots in the free agency thread, I think literally every single one of his posts has been laugh-out-loud wrong in some way. Even by JN standards, he's one of a kind.

With the exception of the Twitter screenshots in the free agency thread, I think literally every single one of his posts has been laugh-out-loud wrong in some way. Even by JN standards, he's one of a kind.

It's like JiF and the Do It Live-O'Reilly clip procreated, but the baby was exposed to a nuclear holocaust during birth, and then that baby was raised by Lionel Hutz.

He was the best of a bad bunch of rookie safeties. I think snaps should be taken in to account because what good would it be to declare some dude with 24 snaps as the best in the group? You have to set a number somewhere.

I agree with Wilson which is why I said what I did earlier.

I 100% wholeheartedly agre that he is a terrible, terrible football player based on what I've seen from him on the field. Being objective about it however, led me to wonder why, if he was as bad as I thought...isn't the opposing QB throwing his way on EVERY SINGLE PLAY, because that's what I would expect.

Could it be that we're harder on the guy because he was a first round bust and he does that stupid finger wave when he gets beat deep and the QB overthrows the receiver?

Even still, his rating doesn't change my outlook because my outlook is that PFF can be a useful guide more times than not, but as with any system they aren't perfect.

The fact that at least thirteen NFL teams use their data as well as agents and head coaches tells me that they aren't just a bunch of nerds who don't understand football as some have implied.

If I had never watched an NFL game in my life, PFF would tell me that the Jets teams that made deep playoff runs were able to do so because of a dominant offensive line and defense that was able to overcome terrible quarterback play. That would be 100% correct.

It would also tell me that Revis and Sherman are among the elite CB's in the league while JJ Watt is in a league of his own. I don't think those evaluations are off base.

I'm far from an expert and would never pretend to be...I'm a fan with an opinion but I do like to get as much info as I can to form my opinion. I've been watching a lot of film lately to do some articles on jets acquisitions and when I've seen a player get manhandled one time too many, I've checked the PFF grades and seen that the guy earned a poor grade in that game.

To each his own, but going on a nonsensical tirade because somebody chooses reference data that can't be obtained elsewhere and is reliable enough for several NFL teams to utilize is a bit of a head scratcher...but funny nonetheless.

I agree. I am a Jets fan and watch them as much as I can. I don't think I watched more than a couple quarters of Browns football this past season, and when I did watch them I wasn't keying in on Buster Skrine. Hell I didn't even know who he was til the Jets signed him......so in that sense PFF is beneficial for me as it can give me a general idea of the type of player we just signed.

Now I don't take their grades as gospel (like others have said) but it is helpful to get a general idea of a player I don't watch. I can't speak for others, but I'd be shocked if more than 1-2 fans on this board have a good idea of how effective the Titans RG is, or the Rams dime back, or the Panthers backup swing tackle, etc.

I'm a football fan, and I love reading info on teams, players, etc. I will use the info with a grain of salt, and will always use this and other info to form my own opinion, but I can't see how using their info as a tool is a negative, especially when it's been shown multiple times in this thread that NFL teams use this info to an extent as well.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

As some kind of unmatched authority on players.  Below is all the proof you need.  How

anyone with a working set of eyes could come to this conclusion is beyond me:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/12/28/jets-landry-impresses/

Jets: Landry impresses

Mark Harrington | December 28, 2014

While the 2014 season hasn’t been one to remember for the New York Jets, there have been some notably strong performers in green. One such player is safety Dawan Landry, whose +11.0 overall grade ranks ninth among safeties.

Landry has been at his best in run defense, where his +5.4 grade is the eighth-best mark by any safety this season. Landry has 29 tackles and 12 solo stops against the run without missing a single tackle. He has been slightly less solid tackling in space, with three missed tackles in the passing game, even so his 27.7 Combined Tackling Efficiency is the second-best performance among safeties.

While his best work has come in run support, Landry has also enjoyed a solid season in coverage, a +4.0 coverage grade and allowing 0.44 Yards per Cover Snap are both respectable marks for a starting safety.

Landry enters free agency this offseason, and his play this season should be strong enough to ensure there is interest in his services, whether that’s in New York or further afield.

PFF, FO, Numberfire, etc...they all serve their purpose. They all try to figure out how to measure success vs. failure by using their own judgments and biases, creating formulas, and trying to tell their story through them. Finding flaws isn't difficult to do because they're trying to explain a game with any combination of 100s of variables with static formulas. There will of course be misses- just as there will be misses when someone uses only their working set of eyes. 

Anyone who does any type of analysis on whether a player will be good or not should absolutely use these various metrics to supplement their (as you aptly put it) working set of eyes. Those that don't understand this simple concept probably don't understand the dynamics of making any type of projections or forecasts about anything.

PFF ain't gospel.  Some things they get right and some things they get wrong.

If you really want to evaluate a player, stop being lazy, fork over the $75 or whatever for NFL Game Rewind, and watch the coaches film.  It's pretty easy to use once you get the hang of it.

They are very good for snap count type info, how many times a team was 3-4 vs 4-3, vs run vs pass, what personnel was on the field in what down and distance. Now their analysis of games and players has been improved over the last couple of years do to the availability of all 22 film. But the grade players and they don't know what was the line call,  Def call, or even if the route was run correctly, they don't know.  They don't have any idea what the read cues are.

The two worse examples of this was twice mankins was asked to pull, the Dlineman stunted in that vacated gap and two days later they had Mankins giving up two sacks?

The other one is that their rating system did not have either manning or Brady in the top 10 one year. 

If you really want to evaluate a player, stop being lazy, fork over the $75 or whatever for NFL Game Rewind, and watch the coaches film.  It's pretty easy to use once you get the hang of it.

Sometimes it's about time.  If  you have a job and family then you can't really spend hours a day watching rewind to get a good look at every player rumored to be coming to your team unless you and your spouse have an understanding that you really don't care all that much for each other. 

You really believe anything somebody tells you about their product. I have a pill that turns you into the wealthiest person on the planet in just 2 hours. Send me all your money. You can trust me.

Nothing you posted contains any information. It's an infomercial. 13 NFL teams? How the hell would they know that? How the hell would they know what member of which team has signed up there? Even if this were true, what kind of information are they using? That BS grading system to gameplan for opponents? Are you insane?

Listen, if any coach is interested in getting stats, they go straight to STATS.INC. Those are the Pro's. They do it for every sport almost. They have all the stats you'd want. They've been doing this for half a century or so. They are the ones the NFL uses for their official stats. Not this PFF bullsh*t. People are so incredibly gullible these days.

NFL teams do use them for snap count info. not for player evaluations

NFL teams do use them for snap count info. not for player evaluations

I'd venture to guess that NFL teams wouldn't need to rely on an outside resource to count snaps for them.

If so, why are current agents, GM's and head coaches  using their data and finding that it often overlaps with how they have their own players rated?

I'd venture to guess that NFL teams wouldn't need to rely on an outside resource to count snaps for them.

Hm.

After finishing said venture...

odzaUO6.gif

By snap counts I mean snap counts in formations and down and distance, 3-4 vs 4-3, man on vs zone, How many times the TE was lined up on the right on  the left, was he thrown to more on one side vs the other. how many snaps were they in a two back, pass vs run on 1 back vs 2 back. 

General background info.

By snap counts I mean snap counts in formations and down and distance, 3-4 vs 4-3, man on vs zone, How many times the TE was lined up on the right on  the left, was he thrown to more on one side vs the other. how many snaps were they in a two back, pass vs run on 1 back vs 2 back. 

General background info.

Yes, and I would be willing to bet that teams tracked/counted before PFF existed.  Agents use PFF data to negotiate contracts and as the articles above state, there are teams who compare player ratings they come up with using their own systems to the ones PFF comes up with and there is an overlap.  

Even though I find Chris Collinsworth to be a snarky/annoying A-Hole, the guy spends the whole season living and breathing film review to the point where Al Michaels and others on the broadcast team have said they rely on him before the games to tell them what the'll see from each team.  He's a former player who has been an analyst for decades yet he says he uses PFF  along with at least 13 other NFL teams.

I'll take that over an armchair GM who saw an offensive lineman fire out into a defensive line from a bad angle on a SC highlight.  But to each his own.

Total crap site. I appreciate that they try to chart and grade every play, but their rankings simply aren't legit to anyone who is a hardcore football fan. It takes less than a minute to totally discredit their methodology. I think they had Peyton and Brady out of the top-5 or top-10 the years that they threw 50 TD's. Not that TD's are the only grade of production, but you can't bump them out of the top-5 when they're breaking all-time passing records.

Yes, and I would be willing to bet that teams tracked/counted before PFF existed.  Agents use PFF data to negotiate contracts and as the articles above state, there are teams who compare player ratings they come up with using their own systems to the ones PFF comes up with and there is an overlap.  

Even though I find Chris Collinsworth to be a snarky/annoying A-Hole, the guy spends the whole season living and breathing film review to the point where Al Michaels and others on the broadcast team have said they rely on him before the games to tell them what the'll see from each team.  He's a former player who has been an analyst for decades yet he says he uses PFF  along with at least 13 other NFL teams.

I'll take that over an armchair GM who saw an offensive lineman fire out into a defensive line from a bad angle on a SC highlight.  But to each his own.

You'd probably even take football advice from a shoe if it told you it created the game of football. It's amazing how gullible you are. It really is. And Collinsworth lives & breathes film review? Where do you get this garbage from? I'm sure he did a better job preparing himself announcing games and all that stuff like 10-20 years ago, considering he's a former player and that's why these networks have him on. Because compared to an Al Michaels he knows a little about the game. Yes, compared to an Al Michaels he propably did a lot more (similar to Jon Gruden now) studying, I highly doubt Al Michaels put in much work outside of maybe interviewing a couple of players or coaches during the week. He doesn't study tape. But if you honestly think this old man sits there and studies all those games all day then you're just completely insane. Yes, in his prime as a play by play type guy 10-20 years ago he probably watched some film on certain players and teams that he'd call that week. That doesn't make him a scout, somebody who is a film rat. For you to make up these things, like he's sitting there all day scouting games and NFL players in general it just really is amazing. Why the hell would he do that in the first place? You don't think the guy has anything to do all day than to sit in his house and study tape of every team/player? It's a job! Scouts do that, yes, but they get paid to do it! What planet are you living on? And how many more times do people have to point out to you that the guy saw a business and an opportunity to make money when he purchased a small piece of that "company" (PFF). He put one and one together, he figured a site like that with his name to give it credibility would help him make money. And it works, just look at how you're drooling all over that guy.

You'd probably even take football advice from a shoe if it told you it created the game of football. It's amazing how gullible you are. It really is. And Collinsworth lives & breathes film review? Where do you get this garbage from? I'm sure he did a better job preparing himself announcing games and all that stuff like 10-20 years ago, considering he's a former player and that's why these networks have him on. Because compared to an Al Michaels he knows a little about the game. Yes, compared to an Al Michaels he propably did a lot more (similar to Jon Gruden now) studying, I highly doubt Al Michaels put in much work outside of maybe interviewing a couple of players or coaches during the week. He doesn't study tape. But if you honestly think this old man sits there and studies all those games all day then you're just completely insane. Yes, in his prime as a play by play type guy 10-20 years ago he probably watched some film on certain players and teams that he'd call that week. That doesn't make him a scout, somebody who is a film rat. For you to make up these things, like he's sitting there all day scouting games and NFL players in general it just really is amazing. Why the hell would he do that in the first place? You don't think the guy has anything to do all day than to sit in his house and study tape of every team/player? It's a job! Scouts do that, yes, but they get paid to do it! What planet are you living on? And how many more times do people have to point out to you that the guy saw a business and an opportunity to make money when he purchased a small piece of that "company" (PFF). He put one and one together, he figured a site like that with his name to give it credibility would help him make money. And it works, just look at how you're drooling all over that guy.

I am teenager....HEAR ME ROOOOAAARRRR!!

Collinsworth lives & breathes film review? Where do you get this garbage from? I'm sure he did a better job preparing himself announcing games and all that stuff like 10-20 years ago, considering he's a former player and that's why these networks have him on.

I loved your tirade about how old man Collinsworth never watches film.  Once again, your analysis is spot on....LOL

This is life for Collinsworth, who, before a given game, spends about six hours watching film of each team’s offense and defense, then countless more studying anything else he can find. That doesn’t include the hours talking to each team’s head coach and coordinators. “How I do this is how I did law school,” said Collinsworth, who studied law at the University of Cincinnati. “You start with 50 pages of notes that turn into 25 pages of notes that turn into 10 pages of notes that turn into five pages, then you try to memorize them for the game.”

But tape study is the backbone of the preparation. In his office in Cincinnati, Collinsworth has four laptops firing at any given time. He has a hand-held clicker that allows him to quickly rewind a play—sometimes he’ll watch the same one double-digit times.

Do you ever come across an article that has no tie between him and PFF? Where he doesn't use that website to promote his own business? I bet your basement is stacked with as seen on TV products. "THE GUY WHO OWNS THAT WEBSITE SAYS HE STUDIES TAPE 23 HOURS A DAY SO IT MUST BE TRUE LETS ALL SIGN UP THERE NOW ITS ALL 100% ACCURATE DERP!". You go right ahead.

Total crap site. I appreciate that they try to chart and grade every play, but their rankings simply aren't legit to anyone who is a hardcore football fan. It takes less than a minute to totally discredit their methodology. I think they had Peyton and Brady out of the top-5 or top-10 the years that they threw 50 TD's. Not that TD's are the only grade of production, but you can't bump them out of the top-5 when they're breaking all-time passing records.

If it's not legit to a fan, why are teams using it?

Do you ever come across an article that has no tie between him and PFF? Where he doesn't use that website to promote his own business? I bet your basement is stacked with as seen on TV products. "THE GUY WHO OWNS THAT WEBSITE SAYS HE STUDIES TAPE 23 HOURS A DAY SO IT MUST BE TRUE LETS ALL SIGN UP THERE NOW ITS ALL 100% ACCURATE DERP!". You go right ahead.

Between failing to understand the Collinsworth situation and your inability to understand my comments regarding snap counts is proof positive that you struggle with comprehension of even the most basic written english.  Of all the facts I've posted, this is the one that makes me have to step away and stop trying to carry on a conversation with you.  Enjoy the season.

If so, why are current agents, GM's and head coaches  using their data and finding that it often overlaps with how they have their own players rated?

If it's not legit to a fan, why are teams using it?

giphy.gif

All teams gather and use that snap count info. What I meant to state was there are some teams that switched to PFF to free up their own resources.

Are you sure collingsworth is involved with scouting, i understood it was just a financial involvement.  And I am sure talking heads use PFF,

And of course they use the nfl vet for info on schemes employed etc. that is why he is there in the booth.

You go on any teams message board you can get a better feel for what kind of player someone is.  Pryor for instance, the general consensus is that he is a disappointment, and that opinion matches up with what i seen with his play.  But for PFF to put a grade on is play and not know what was his responsibilities based on the offensive alignment ad his reads is quite  stretch for their capabilities. If they had a playbook and back checked then they would provide value.

If you want to use them a reaffirmation of what your own eyes tell you,fine but that is all the use I have for them.

giphy.gif

Oh man...I just realized what happened...I don't think it is comprehension, it's just that you don't know the difference between counting the number of times a player lines up at a particular position and analyzing how he performs.  Totally on me.....I'll help you out a little bit though. Believe me, I'm far from an expert....but I can help you out quite a bit.

Okay, so when a team is tracking a player, they'll want to know where he lines up and how often.  It can be on offense, defense or special teams. It can be a player on their roster or a player  they're interested in as a free agent (a player who has allowed his contract to expire or has been cut/released by his former team).  While he may be listed as a defensive end *(sometimes abbreviated as DE), there's data that they can use to see how often he lined up at another position like outside linebacker *(sometimes abbreviated as OLB). They'll then take the total number of snaps played at the position of choice and divide that by the total number of snaps played. The number arrived at based on that equation gives you the number you're looking for in determining what percentage of snaps were played at that position.

So, when I said teams use PFF to analyze player performance, somebody suggested that teams only use PFF for snap counts.  Those two things are different.  This was the reason behind me saying teams aren't likely to use PFF for snap counts as they will all employ at least one person who is capable of watching film, identifying a player and counting from 1-100.  Generally even starting players end up at around 75 but it's a good idea to have somebody who can hold down the fort should the game head to overtime (I'll explain overtime later).

Now, analyzing player performance...this can be done on many different levels.  A fan like me who doesn't know nearly as much as an NFL head coach or GM can watch film (not the same thing as watching on TV...totally different angles) and simply decide if a player "won" or "lost" his battle with an individual player.  If I watch it and see a guy "winning" the overwhelming majority of his battles, then I'd say he played well that day.  If he plays like that on most days, then I'd say he's a very good player, but again that's just me.

NFL teams however, will have grading systems that differ slightly from one another but they know what they're looking for.  How well did a player execute an assignment, did he use the proper technique, etc...  The process can take hours upon hours really.

As I pointed out earlier, some NFL teams have said they have compared PFF grades to their own and found that they "overlap" which essentially means there are some areas in which they are very similar.  My point was that NFL teams are not likely to use PFF simply for snap counts if they're saying player grading overlaps.  This proves that their data (PFF's) is, at the very least, somewhat reliable.  

So my opinion never changed, you just didn't realize that snap counts and player analysis are two different things.

I hope this helps.

*OLB and DE may also have an "L" or an "R" before them to indicate which side of the formation they line up on (right or left)

All teams gather and use that snap count info. What I meant to state was there are some teams that switched to PFF to free up their own resources.

Are you sure collingsworth is involved with scouting, i understood it was just a financial involvement.  And I am sure talking heads use PFF,

And of course they use the nfl vet for info on schemes employed etc. that is why he is there in the booth.

You go on any teams message board you can get a better feel for what kind of player someone is.  Pryor for instance, the general consensus is that he is a disappointment, and that opinion matches up with what i seen with his play.  But for PFF to put a grade on is play and not know what was his responsibilities based on the offensive alignment ad his reads is quite  stretch for their capabilities. If they had a playbook and back checked then they would provide value.

If you want to use them a reaffirmation of what your own eyes tell you,fine but that is all the use I have for them.

You may be right, but when NFL teams say that their player analysis data overlaps I'd think that's different from snap counts overlapping.  

He does not head PFF, he invested in them when he was impressed with their data.  I saw a feature on his in-season prep and then found an aritcle on it later. He has an entire office set up in his home with several monitors and all the bells and whistles needed to break down film.  

Other members of the MNF crew said that he briefs them throughout the week as he finds tendencies and as a result, they often know exactly what to expect from players during the game as a result of the time he spends doing it.

If they don't know what they're looking at and the data is unreliable then they'll be gone in a few months as NFL teams will let it be widely known that they have no use for their data.  I didn't take them that seriously until I found out that NFL teams, agents/coaches were doing so.  

I think NFL head coaches and GM's know more about football than I do.  If I can access a resource they use that they feel makes their job easier, I"m gonna take a look at it.

I do realize however, that some fans feel their knowledge far exceeds that of anyone in any front office or on any sideline...I'm just not one of them.

Archived