Mel Kiper's msg to the jets ~ ~ ~

kelly

It was tongue-in-cheek, Mr. Sensitive.  Better chance at winning the lottery than your 3 far-fetched hypotheticals.

Whatever Genius.  I give a best case scenario and your Geno Hate rises to the surface.  Get a life.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What bothers me is the assumption that mariota can't be a franchise QB because he isn't an under-center pro style QB. He was very successful in the offense he ran in college, so why can't be successful in another type of offense? He's big, fast, athletic, studious, and has a very good arm, accuracy and makes good decisions. All the ingredients are there. He just will need to learn to develop his knowledge of the pro game with some coaching. That makes him a solid choice at 6 IMO.

What bothers me is the assumption that mariota can't be a franchise QB because he isn't an under-center pro style QB. He was very successful in the offense he ran in college, so why can't be successful in another type of offense? He's big, fast, athletic, studious, and has a very good arm, accuracy and makes good decisions. All the ingredients are there. He just will need to learn to develop his knowledge of the pro game with some coaching. That makes him a solid choice at 6 IMO.

He has neither a good arm nor good accuracy.

Whatever Genius.  I give a best case scenario and your Geno Hate rises to the surface.  Get a life.

I don't hate Geno.  I'll bet he's a great guy.  I wish him all the success in the world now and a few years down the road after his NFL career is over. Just telling it like I see it.  He is inept.  Can not read defenses.  No NFL future beyond being a back up.  Has nothing to do with "hate".  It's opinion.  He sucks out there.  Man, you are touchy and sensitive.  Wrong time of the month for you apparently.  Message boards are not the best place for the thin-skinned.  

I don't hate Geno.  I'll bet he's a great guy.  I wish him all the success in the world now and a few years down the road after his NFL career is over. Just telling it like I see it.  He is inept.  Can not read defenses.  No NFL future beyond being a back up.  Has nothing to do with "hate".  It's opinion.  He sucks out there.  Man, you are touchy and sensitive.  Wrong time of the month for you apparently.  Message boards are not the best place for the thin-skinned.  

Not thin-skinned just tired of every time Genos name is mentioned people chiming in with how much he sucks.   Enough already, lol lets move on for chris sakes.  There are enough "Geno Sucks" threads without this one being hijacked into another one.  BTW shouldh't you be having another wet dream? 

Not thin-skinned just tired of every time Genos name is mentioned people chiming in with how much he sucks.   Enough already, lol lets move on for chris sakes.  BTW go **** yourself or have another wet dream. 

LOL.  You ARE touchy.

For the record, I don't think Fitzpatrick is the answer.   We are still a mess at QB.  It makes more sense to start Geno because Fitz is too old to be our future although, if healthy, Fitz could potentially get us an extra win or two over Geno this season by virtue of his experience. This team needs to find its future QB within the next 2 years.  But absent a a trade for a QB, I fully expect to see Geno start in 2015.  It would be the right decision for the team's future to once and for all to make a final evaluation of this kid.  IMO, not hate, he doesn't have what it takes to be a solid NFL starting QB.  But I'm ready for another year of his brutal play.  Feel better now?  LOL.

Wet dream #1: Mariota will drop to 6. If Titans pass, they will likely trade out of #2, IMO.

Wet dream #2: Geno develops into a decent player . He can't read defenses.  Period. I don't think he will ever develop that ability.

Wet dream #3: trading Geno for more than warm six pack of cheap beer and a moldy pretzel.

WET DREAM #1,2 & 3: is JetBlue's profile pic

photo-thumb-28685.jpg?_r=1427295934

Because in the nfl you have to be able to go through progressions and make 3-4 reads on every play. Mariota rarely did that in college and when he did he struggled.

Because in the nfl you have to be able to go through progressions and make 3-4 reads on every play. Mariota rarely did that in college and when he did he struggled.

But that's the point.  he wasn't asked to play pro-style, and rarely was faced with the difficulties of running a pro offense.  I don't see how this proves he can't do it.  The offense he ran was complex and fast-paced, very few would be able to grasp and run it as well as Mariota.  He absorbed it and excelled.  I don't see how its been decided that that's the only offense he can run.  It's a strange conclusion that has no evidence or indicators.  

So many options...

I am warming up to Marriota, but I don't think  he will be there at #6

I like Beasley, White, Fowler...

I love Dupree, Cooper, Parker

I seriously would like to trade down a few spots and take either Dupree, Parker, or any of the top WR's or OLB's on the board and get the stud RB with next pick...

So here we are, exactly five weeks to the draft, and the Marcus Mariota speculation continues to build.

Would the New York Jets select the Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback if he's available with the sixth pick ? Our man Mel Kiper Jr. believes it's a no-brainer."I would think that, at that point, I don't know how you'd pass him up," the ESPN draft analyst said Thursday on a conference call with reporters. "You're going against Tom Brady. Tom Brady has probably got another five years in him. And Mariota needs a little bit of time. So [Ryan] Fitzpatrick and Geno Smith would give you time to develop Mariota, who, in another two or three years, could be really good."

I agree with Kiper. If you're the Jets, starved for a franchise quarterback, you take Mariota and bring him along slowly, which is easier said than done. You know how it is in the New York market; the pressure to play him immediately would be intense.General manager Mike Maccagnan continues to say he will draft the best available player. The top four players, according to a consensus of the top draft experts (including ESPN's Kiper and Todd McShay), are quarterback Jameis Winston, defensive tackle Leonard Williams, wide receiver Amari Cooper and Mariota. If one happens to slip to six, they'd be hard-pressed to pass.

Some wonder if the reserved Mariota has the fire to succeed in the NFL. As Kiper noted, Eli Manning and Joe Flacco -- both Super Bowl champions -- aren't exactly animated leaders."I'm not concerned at all about the fact that you're not this rah-rah guy out there," Kiper said of the former Oregon Duck. "He's got a ton of skills, a ton of ability, and if you give him time, I think the Jets would be a perfect team to afford him that opportunity."

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/50197/mel-kiper-to-jets-dont-duck-qb-marcus-mariota

In another 2 or 3 years he COULD be good????? ..... there is NO WAY ON GODS GREEN EARTH you draft a QB in the top 6 who fits that description.

Who drafted QB top 10 and is planning on starting Geno or Fitz?

Mariota is a bust.... Even if he goes to Philly.

Pretty sure he read the defense just fine when he threw up the 158.3 QB rating he had in his final game last year.

Look, the kid is 23 years old, still, maybe just turned 24, he was a young football player that was probably rushed into a starting role too soon, he really isn't any different from Marriota was when he came into the league.

I think Geno plays with a bit of a chip on his shoulder, is just tough enough to handle the media, has made silly decisions like all young players do, we need to give this time, time to develop, time to mature, he has all the tools, I just want to see the fan base give him a chance with a couple of years under his belt.  There is promise with Geno, there are warning signs too, but we need to give him more than 2 years to figure it out.

If Marriota is there at 6, I probably have no problem going for it, and letting the best of those two rise to the top, we could have a situation with two starting QB's where the team will be forced to move one, that would be most ideal in any scenario where the Jets take a QB early.

This nonsense about how the arm-chair GM's and coaches on this board have already written off Geno, it's just premature nonsense.  Some of the arguments are valid against him, but we need to evaluate this kid when he's had a chance to develop and mature, just a little bit.

LOL.  You ARE touchy.

For the record, I don't think Fitzpatrick is the answer.   We are still a mess at QB.  It makes more sense to start Geno because Fitz is too old to be our future although, if healthy, Fitz could potentially get us an extra win or two over Geno this season by virtue of his experience. This team needs to find its future QB within the next 2 years.  But absent a a trade for a QB, I fully expect to see Geno start in 2015.  It would be the right decision for the team's future to once and for all to make a final evaluation of this kid.  IMO, not hate, he doesn't have what it takes to be a solid NFL starting QB.  But I'm ready for another year of his brutal play.  Feel better now?  LOL.

LOL, No just tired of reading the same sh*t over and over again like it is something new.  Since since you apparently didn't get it; all I said was the BEST CASE SCENARIO was for Geno to play well and hopefully we can get something for him.  That is it; End of Story, ok?   I am not trying to debate the Merits of Geno starting or not or become a good qb etc; that has been beat to death and is for another thread.  Can we PLEASE move on?  

Pretty sure he read the defense just fine when he threw up the 158.3 QB rating he had in his final game last year.

Look, the kid is 23 years old, still, maybe just turned 24, he was a young football player that was probably rushed into a starting role too soon, he really isn't any different from Marriota was when he came into the league.

I think Geno plays with a bit of a chip on his shoulder, is just tough enough to handle the media, has made silly decisions like all young players do, we need to give this time, time to develop, time to mature, he has all the tools, I just want to see the fan base give him a chance with a couple of years under his belt.  There is promise with Geno, there are warning signs too, but we need to give him more than 2 years to figure it out.

If Marriota is there at 6, I probably have no problem going for it, and letting the best of those two rise to the top, we could have a situation with two starting QB's where the team will be forced to move one, that would be most ideal in any scenario where the Jets take a QB early.

This nonsense about how the arm-chair GM's and coaches on this board have already written off Geno, it's just premature nonsense.  Some of the arguments are valid against him, but we need to evaluate this kid when he's had a chance to develop and mature, just a little bit.

Excellent post; it is like if you mention Genos name you gotta hear sh*t constantly about how he sucks blah, blah and it really gets a bit old.  The topic of the thread is the Jets should take Mariota if he is there and I wholeheartedly agree.  I would hope that since, Mariota mostly would need to sit a year, Geno or Fitz would emerge as the starter.  Since we would have our qb of the future, it would be great if Geno played well enough to interest another team in trading for him next year so we would at least get something for him.  I don't see how any Jet fan would have an issue with that.  

So many options...

I am warming up to Marriota, but I don't think  he will be there at #6

I like Beasley, White, Fowler...

I love Dupree, Cooper, Parker

I seriously would like to trade down a few spots and take either Dupree, Parker, or any of the top WR's or OLB's on the board and get the stud RB with next pick...

That is why I am trying not to get to excited regarding Mariota because we know as Jet Fans once we do, you know some team will probably swoop in right before pick and make a deal with Washington or something, lol.  

I think Fowler is the pick at 6 if he's available. It'll be interesting to see what the Jets do if Fowler and Cooper are both available.

You mean if Mariota is off the board?  I do Fowler in an instant, we can find a wr in the 2 or 3 round.  I am confident one of these guys will be around in round 2.  Philip Dorsett, Devin Smith, Sammie Coates.  Any one of them will make our passing game potentially elite.   3rd round could net Tre McBride, Tony Lippett, or Stephon Diggs.  No need to go WR with the 6th pick unless we trade down and get more picks imho. 

Fowler is the best 3-4 OLB in this draft (imo) I think if he's available it'll make all the sense in the world.

I am definitely warming up to Fowler as he has the ideal size we need.  I watched film of Beasley vs. Cam Erving and it wasn't pretty.  Dude got dominated one on one.  The I looked a some film of Dupree who I like but as big and athletic as he is, I didn't see a "motor" or "mean streak".  He seemed to play a little to passive for my liking.   We already have a player with similar personality in Coples so I don't want to draft another one.  We need a bunch of "junkyard dogs" and Fowler plays like a one.  Too bad he will probably be gone by 6th. 

In another 2 or 3 years he COULD be good????? ..... there is NO WAY ON GODS GREEN EARTH you draft a QB in the top 6 who fits that description.

Who drafted QB top 10 and is planning on starting Geno or Fitz?

Mariota is a bust.... Even if he goes to Philly.

This thinking is why we have not had a franchise qb in 40 years.  Sometimes you have to throw conventional wisdom out the window.  If they really think this kid can be special, but needs a little seasoning, then they have to take him if he is there.  For the record I don't think it will take 2 or 3 years as this is a very smart and hard working kid.    

Fitz and Geno, with the upgrades we have made on both sides of the ball (to be continued in the draft) will have a team that is talented enough to compete for a wild card playoff spot.   In a year Mariota will be able to challenge for the starting job. If he wins it, we keep Fitz as the back up and see if we can move Geno.   We have not gone to a Super Bowl in forever, another year or two is not going to kill any of us. 

Not thin-skinned just tired of every time Genos name is mentioned people chiming in with how much he sucks. Enough already, lol lets move on for chris sakes. There are enough "Geno Sucks" threads without this one being hijacked into another one. BTW shouldh't you be having another wet dream?

geno sucks

"Alright, Marcus. We're going to draft you, but we're not going to play you for two years. Instead, we'll have you stand out back, throwing this here football through this tire. Maybe in a year we'll swing the tire a little bit to make it a little harder, ok? Great. You have such great football character, Marcus. And that interview you did with Michael Kay really knocked our socks off. So humble! Okay, let's see you throw it through the ti-- OH! You missed the tire altogether! Haha! That's, um, try it again. Oh! Almost! Haha."

geno sucks

LOL.  nicely played.  

Best case scenario is that I win the lottery this week.  About as likely as ever being able to trade Geno for picks.  But it is a "best case" scenario... no matter how delusional.  

My biggest fear.

Mariota, Fowler, Cooper, White. GONE.

lot of good players left but it makes it much tougher to choose?

Whos the choice in that scenario?

Ray? Beasley? Dupree? Trae? Scherff? Gregory? Williams?

I prefer someone in that 1st 5 that are gone in this scenario. So if this happens I hope to god a team behind us wants to move up for someone in this group that they absolutely love.

I could see Willams or Scherff as players another team might covet.

Or would it be crazy to draft Williams to protect against Big Mo & his agent getting too greedy?

You pick Williams, you could slide Mo to end & trade Coples.

Fowler is the best 3-4 OLB in this draft (imo) I think if he's available it'll make all the sense in the world.

I think when all is said and done this is going to be the pick...and it'll be a good one...

I would prefer White over him (but Fowler over Cooper) and while I don't think he gets past 2 - you take Mariotta if he's there.

My biggest fear.

I prefer someone in that 1st 5 that are gone in this scenario. So if this happens I hope to god a team behind us wants to move up for someone in this group that they absolutely love.

Or would it be crazy to draft Williams to protect against Big Mo & his agent getting too greedy?

In that situation, I'd take Beasley

"Alright, Marcus. We're going to draft you, but we're not going to play you for two years. Instead, we'll have you stand out back, throwing this here football through this tire. Maybe in a year we'll swing the tire a little bit to make it a little harder, ok? Great. You have such great football character, Marcus. And that interview you did with Michael Kay really knocked our socks off. So humble! Okay, let's see you throw it through the ti-- OH! You missed the tire altogether! Haha! That's, um, try it again. Oh! Almost! Haha."

If you think Mariotta has even a 50/50 chance to become a franchise QB you take him...even if he has to sit on the bench for two years....

My biggest fear.

Beasley

Archived