Mel Kiper's msg to the jets ~ ~ ~

kelly

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

more from mel..

~ ~  if the Jets really, really like Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota — and they really, really want to make sure they can draft him — then the only way they can guarantee that happens is by trading up with the Titans for the No. 2 pick, which Tennessee currently possesses.But is trading up to get Mariota — a talented player, but not a sure thing — worth the risk, considering what the Jets would have to give up, in a move from the sixth pick to the second ?

Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN's lead NFL Draft analyst, isn't so sure the Jets ought to quit on their incumbent starter, third-year pro Geno Smith, in such franchise-altering fashion, by giving away future high draft picks.After all, it wasn't all that long ago when the Jets drafted Smith, in the second round in 2013."I think it depends on their feelings of Geno Smith," Kiper said of the Jets potentially trading up to No. 2, during a conference call Tuesday with reporters. "If they think Geno's making progress, and if they feel, the new [coaching] staff does, that, 'Hey, we can win and we can compete with Tom Brady and the Patriots with Geno Smith.' Geno Smith was considered to be a first-round pick when he came out.

He went in the second round. He's had flashes at times where he's looked like he could be an effective starting quarterback. And at other times, he's looked like anything but that. If you can level that off, level that performance off, he's still young. We don't realize that these guys are going to go through major growing pains."Are you going to give up on them when they're going through those growing pains and cut the cord and go for somebody else? If they feel they can move forward with Geno Smith, you don't consider giving up all that it's going to take [to trade up to No. 2]. It's going to take a [Robert Griffin III]-type deal to get that second pick. Do you want to give up all that, mortgage your future, when you have a young quarterback like Geno Smith who you've already developed as a team? But they have other needs. You can get a wide receiver like Amari Cooper or Kevin White there [at No. 6], DeVante Parker. You can get an offensive lineman like Brandon Scherff. No, I think it would be too ... If they feel that they can go forward with Smith, you don't make that move."

In short, Kiper is saying he thinks trading up for Mariota would be too risky of a move for the Jets, given the cost.Look, there's a possibility Mariota could fall to the Jets at No. 6, even if they remain there. There's also a possibility the Titans could pick Mariota. Or they could swing a deal with San Diego involving the No. 2 pick and Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers — a scenario that Kiper's colleague, Todd McShay, thinks makes a lot of sense.

The Jets clearly have other needs besides quarterback, as Kiper mentioned. If we're talking about a Griffin-type deal — in terms of the cost for the Jets to move to No. 2 — then that means something along the lines of what Washington gave to St. Louis in 2012.

In that year's draft, Washington moved from No. 6 to No. 2, in order to pick Griffin, who has struggled with both his performance and injuries after a strong rookie year.In addition to the No. 6 pick in 2012, Washington also gave St. Louis its first-round picks in both 2013 and 2014, plus a second-rounder in 2012. Those additional first-round picks wound up being No. 22 overall in 2013 and No. 2 in 2014.

That's a ton to give up. Would the Jets do it? The trade up for Griffin hasn't exactly worked out for Washington so far. That might give the Jets pause as they consider whether to move from sixth to second.

> http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/04/mel_kiper_jr_jets_marcus_mariota_trade_up_risk.html

• 2 weeks later...

The draft is over, which of course means it's time to evaluate the draft, never mind that a meaningful draft evaluation can't happen until draftees actually begin, you know, playing football.The Jets' total draft haul amounted to six players, three each on offense and defense, plus three trades that netted them a pair of players with NFL experience: wide receiver DeVier Posey and running back Zac Stacy.

We handed out our draft grades for the Jets here and here. But now let's turn to the national experts and their takes and (when available) grades on how the Jets did over the weekend.

Once more: It's impossible to know how any of these picks will pan out. As you were.

ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr.

"The new leadership in the Jets front office had a great draft. Forget about need, when you get the best overall player in the draft (at least on my board) at No. 6 overall, you've done really well on value. I just don't think it's possible to have too many good defensive lineman, so I wouldn't exactly call it a "glut" to have Williams in there with Muhammad Wilkerson and Sheldon Richardson. In fact, you don't need a big imagination to have them all on the field at the same time. I know some fans might have wanted Kevin White at No. 6, but the Jets added a big-play threat at WR in Round 2 with Devin Smith. There are route concepts I just haven't seen from Smith, but that's mostly a product of the Ohio State offense, and he can really stretch you on defense. Good get. The Jets maneuvered well in moving down in a deal with Houston to add some picks, and they were then able to move back up later to secure Bryce Petty, who has ability but will need time to develop because there are so many NFL concepts that are foreign to him. Still, good value to get a No. 4 QB down at 103 overall. Lorenzo Mauldin has good length but doesn't scare you as an edge rusher -- he's a high-character kid and could help them as he develops. I agree with McShay that Jarvis Harrison can be a really good NFL guard if he gets after it a bit more, so you like the value in Round 5. Late in the draft, the Jets got good value at running back by flipping a late pick for Zac Stacy. I wanted them to nab a tackle, but it was a good overall draft for the Jets, adding value and in swinging deals, with Williams a fabulous value at the top. And remember: I factor Brandon Marshall into this draft."

Kiper's grade: A-minus

ESPN's Todd McShay

"Give the Jets credit for taking USC D-lineman Leonard Williams at No. 6 overall, despite already having a strong position group with Sheldon Richardson and Muhammad Wilkerson. Fourth-round QB Bryce Petty is a very talented passer with everything you want from a quarterback prospect in terms of his work ethic and intangibles, but his challenge is going to be adjusting to an NFL playbook after his time in Baylor's up-tempo spread offense. I like the Devin Smith pick at No. 37 overall best, as he was the No. 28 player on my board and is a big-time vertical threat who will fit well alongside Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker."

McShay's grade: None given

Dan Kadar, SB Nation

"The Jets added good talent in [Leonard] Williams, even though I don't think they needed more talent along the defensive line. [Devin] Smith is a good wide out who will open up the field, assuming Smith can get him the ball. I like [Lorenzo] Mauldin. He's the sort of outside linebacker that fits Todd Bowles' system. Petty could surprise some people at quarterback. [Jarvis] Harrison has talent and is versatile, if he's playing hard."

Kadar's grade: B

Peter King, The MMQB

"It's likely that Leonard Williams was the number one pick on more draft boards in the league than any other individual player. The Jets surely believed he'd be gone when they picked at six, and of all the positions on the field, a penetrating defensive tackle with ability to flex out to end in some packages (or play 3-4 end, period) is what the Jets needed least. But Maccagnan did the right thing. Had there been a franchise player at some other position of great need, I wouldn't have blamed Maccagnan for deviating from the best-player-available script. But there wasn't one. So now the Jets have three first-round 3-4 ends 25 or younger with Pro Bowl potential: Williams, Muhammad Wilkerson and Sheldon Richardson. And they have a premier run-stuffer for first down in Damon Harrison. Wilkerson's contract mess could be an issue, but that's a problem for another day. Maccagnan added a speed merchant used to playing big games, Ohio State's Devin Smith, and an intriguing quarterback prospect, Bryce Petty, with a value pick at 103. A good debut for Maccagnan."

King's grade: None given

Mike Tanier, Bleacher Report

"Bryce Petty is about to colonize a huge swatch of New York's consciousness, but the Jets also got the best player in the draft in Leonard Williams, added a potential home-run threat in Devin Smith and stole Jarvis Harrison to beef up the interior offensive line."

Tanier's grade: None given

Chris Burke, SI.com

"Ignore the fact that New York did not necessarily need Leonard Williams. The best defensive player, and possibly the best overall player, in this draft fell into the Jets' laps at No. 6, so they did the wise thing and took him. Wide receiver Devin Smith may see limited action this year, but his game-breaking potential deep will help draw attention away from Brandon Marshall, Eric Decker and Jeremy Kerley. Round 3 edge-rusher Lorenzo Mauldin fills a glaring hole on Todd Bowles's defense. No qualms with that pick, though Mauldin is not quite as talented as his Louisville production made him look. The Bryce Petty pick at No. 103 no doubt opened some eyes in the Big Apple. Petty won't be a viable NFL starter for some time, if ever, but he still could swipe the QB-of-the-future status from Geno Smith. Ryan Fitzpatrick's presence also buys New York time to bring Petty along."

Burke's grade: B-plus

Bryan Fischer, NFL Media

"The new front office and head coach in New York landed the best player in the draft. That's a nice way to start your tenure even if Williams might not really be a true need for the Jets. That defense should be nasty for Todd Bowles, and Williams could provide some insurance in case Muhammad Wilkerson leaves as a free agent next season. Smith has plenty of speed and will help stretch the field for Geno Smith. Mauldin was a great value pick in the third round off the edge."

Fischer's grade: A

Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com

"I love their first two picks, Williams and receiver Devin Smith, but the rest of the draft was so-so. Williams will be a dominant addition to a good defense."

Prisco's grade: B-minus

> http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/05/mel_kiper_jr_loves_jets_draft_roundup_of_national.html

Heh... was wrong about Leonard WIlliams not making it to 6. 

This is one of those cases where I'm happy to be wrong. 

careful people are now going to hold that up as an indictment of your "record"

I wish someone for a hoax would draft a fictional player ( Leon Sandcastle) just to see if Kiper and McShay had them rated in their top 100.

I swear every player picked is on their lists.

I called a radio show once and asked them what they thought of JD Harmeyer QB at Fulsale University. Sh-t you not we had a 10 minute conversation what round he should be drafted in, which teams should get him and what his strengths were.

One of the people I talked to was hall of famer Fran Tarkenton

Archived