New as a member - but not as a Jet fan

GoingToMyGraveGreen

I've debated for a long time joining and posting on this board - but been a long time reader and former poster on the old New York Times Jets board....some I recognize here from back then.

Grew up on LI (Merrick) and attended many training camps at Hofstra. Met many Jets - favorite was Gus Holloman (#48). I was also a safety and a punter in High School (as he was with Denver before coming to the Jets). Great guy....heard a few years ago his wife died in a car accident in Louisiana. So sorry to hear that.

But for the first time since Weeb, this team as the leadership to win. Give Johnson credit...he DID do it right this time.

Have been a fan since the Polo Grounds and the Titans (I'm old...brain and emotionally damaged from the losses)...and have a bad habit of throwing remote controls to the point when I'm watching Jet's games I put them away - farrrrr away from me...

Thanks to Tom Shane and the other posters for their comments....many times I have laughed so hard and out loud at work my co-workers asked what I was disturbing them about.

Not sure if I can contribute as much as the long-time posters can and have, but I'll add mine if needed. 

These Jets have everything it takes to win....just (yeah I know you know it too) needs average, competent QB play (but I would not mind a true franchise QB).

What makes the Jets unique is their place in sports history...what they have done for this game and will do and the reason I'll never change teams.

Thanks and look forward to contributing what I can.

And oh....the Patriots....(fill in the expletive blank).... 

I probably regretted being a Jet's fan long ago...but hey...I could be a (fill in the blank of the name of another team) fan.

We'll have our day and I think soon (1-2 years) and do you think the parade will down 5th Avenue will be like another seen since...WWII?

I live in Colorado now but I'll definitely fly home to see that! 

Hi Shane: Not much...but getting ready to see the Jets kick Patriot (name the places.....)!

And thanks for the welcome Jetlife!

It'd be pretty fantastic if FitzGeno goes up to Foxboro and throws 4 TDs over the scrub Belichick signed to replace Revis.

Also, Interstellar was just ok.

I'm expecting to get deep fried, barbequed with my ashes stomped on and secretly dispersed in an unmarked, unpopulated area once I start posting opinions.

I’m not going to say anything here I would not say to a player’s face and will stay respectful to you fellow posters, so here goes with a few opinions to start (and I’m sure there is nothing all that new here):

Geno: You’ve had your chance to start – now you have to earn it regardless of your draft position and age over Fitz. If Geno starts, I expect a quick hook from the coaches if he stays careless with the ball. If Geno really improves…I’ll support him (but not expecting it honestly).

I’m not happy the coaching staff has already stated Geno will be mostly working with the first unit. Maybe they’re trying to rule Geno in or out quickly. But Fitz will be ready for training camp – split the snaps and see who is better.

…Would not mind the Jets trading with TB for Mike Glennon. The pressure on TB to start Winston will be enormous. But Glennon is cheap ($846K this year on his rookie contract) so they may keep him as insurance…although if I were Glennon I would want to go to a team I had the chance to start. Eventually he’s going to leave anyway. He’d be worth a 3rd round pick but TB will probably want a 2nd. Maybe a 3rd this year and a conditional next year…?

Mariota: If he's there - take him....but I doubt he will. So the scenario could be Mariota goes #2 or #5 and Jets trade for Glennon. 

It would be nice to have a franchise QB (maybe next year) but what the Jets need now is a *credible* enough passing attack to keep the other team from stuffing the box and killing the run game. Do this and the Jets have the chance for the playoffs….don’t and it will be another looooonnnnggg year.

Overspent in FA: With Harris – yes. But I like the way the contracts are set up. Although the 2016 cap space is about $20M now, looking at several players that could be cut/traded frees up almost as much money as the Jets had this year if they wanted to. As opposed to Trader Mike, none of these are the kind of contracts that cripple the cap. And there is roadmap here I have not seen with the Jets. For example – give Milliner a year to recover (he’ll need it) and let Cromartie start. If next year Milliner looks good, the Jets have the option to release Cromartie. I believe this is called a “plan”.

Edge Rusher: OK, I'm not the GM, but looking at the games of the top, first round candidates does not convince me they will be as effective as some think. Coples is in a contract year and I think he'll play lights out. If WR Amari Cooper  is there (and he probably will be) I say pick 'em. Saves $7.5M next year if Marshall leaves.

Two-year window of opportunity: It looks like there is a two year window open for the Jets now after which the older talent will be gone or their skills too degraded and possibly wasted on unsuccessful seasons. Then we go into another sea change of talent that will be needed. I say this in looking at player ages and their contracts. I certainly hope the Jets see this as their time and capitalize on it. 

Last observation: I’m surprised (maybe I should not be) in all the 1-year, vet minimum contracts the Jet have executed. I’m surprised because it has to mean they have little to no confidence that the young players drafted the last two years on the roster can or will contribute. Like I said, maybe I should not be surprised. I thought there were some good players in there…

The secondary has a chance to be exceptional! There is a lot of versatile talent to cover 2/3rds of the field after Revis.

Our pass rushers were not even in the same hemisphere in 2009/2010 compared to this group.

Especially if they get a pass rushing OLB in this draft.

Coples/Wilk/Sheldon/ Snacks!

Way better & way younger than the guys we sent out there in 2009/2010.

Plus the depth behind these guys now is better than some of the starters we had out there. Bowens/Vickerson.

Even Reilly & Ik are very young (Reilly a little older than most 2nd year guys)

This will be a much faster defense that Bowles is coaching than what Rex started with here.

As for Geno, he had some tough games against good defenses, Buffalo being the best, but the Bills defense kicked the crap out of a few teams this year. Even the Jets D has given Brady fits in the past.

Agree that Bowles will have a very short rope with Geno if he doesn't protect the ball.

The secondary has a chance to be exceptional! There is a lot of versatile talent to cover 2/3rds of the field after Revis.

Our pass rushers were not even in the same hemisphere in 2009/2010 compared to this group.

Especially if they get a pass rushing OLB in this draft.

Coples/Wilk/Sheldon/ Snacks!

Way better & way younger than the guys we sent out there in 2009/2010.

Plus the depth behind these guys now is better than some of the starters we had out there. Bowens/Vickerson.

Even Reilly & Ik are very young (Reilly a little older than most 2nd year guys)

This will be a much faster defense that Bowles is coaching than what Rex started with here.

As for Geno, he had some tough games against good defenses, Buffalo being the best, but the Bills defense kicked the crap out of a few teams this year. Even the Jets D has given Brady fits in the past.

Agree that Bowles will have a very short rope with Geno if he doesn't protect the ball.

The politically correct posse will be looking for you...LOL

I've debated for a long time joining and posting on this board - but been a long time reader and former poster on the old New York Times Jets board....some I recognize here from back then.

Grew up on LI (Merrick) and attended many training camps at Hofstra. Met many Jets - favorite was Gus Holloman (#48). I was also a safety and a punter in High School (as he was with Denver before coming to the Jets). Great guy....heard a few years ago his wife died in a car accident in Louisiana. So sorry to hear that.

But for the first time since Weeb, this team as the leadership to win. Give Johnson credit...he DID do it right this time.

Have been a fan since the Polo Grounds and the Titans (I'm old...brain and emotionally damaged from the losses)...and have a bad habit of throwing remote controls to the point when I'm watching Jet's games I put them away - farrrrr away from me...

Thanks to Tom Shane and the other posters for their comments....many times I have laughed so hard and out loud at work my co-workers asked what I was disturbing them about.

Not sure if I can contribute as much as the long-time posters can and have, but I'll add mine if needed. 

These Jets have everything it takes to win....just (yeah I know you know it too) needs average, competent QB play (but I would not mind a true franchise QB).

What makes the Jets unique is their place in sports history...what they have done for this game and will do and the reason I'll never change teams.

Thanks and look forward to contributing what I can.

And oh....the Patriots....(fill in the expletive blank).... 

A lot of the old NY Times guys (Henry Hertz, Pete, JMC and many others)  frequent a different message board they created after the debacle that led to the demise of the NY Times Jets message board.  I still participate there, but this site has much more activity.  Welcome.

A lot of the old NY Times guys (Henry Hertz, Pete, JMC and many others)  frequent a different message board they created after the debacle that led to the demise of the NY Times Jets message board.  I still participate there, but this site has much more activity.  Welcome.

Hi Dcat....I know the other website you're talking about with Henry...but I had not heard about what happened to the NYT site that brought it down. I remember contacting Judy Battista about it but did not hear back...she definitely was one of the best pure writers that also happened to write about sports....think she is with NFL.com now...

Hi Dcat....I know the other website you're talking about with Henry...but I had not heard about what happened to the NYT site that brought it down. I remember contacting Judy Battista about it but did not hear back...she definitely was one of the best pure writers that also happened to write about sports....think she is with NFL.com now...

I think Henry called the moderator  a "kunt" or something like that. It wasn't Battista.

The politically correct posse will be looking for you...LOL

Ok that's just wrong,lol.

Took me a sec to figure out what you were talking about. Your right though, that's a perfect example of what can happen if someone spins what you say.

Archived