Matt Schaub signs with Ravens

Jetlife33

The Jets don't appear to be done gathering quarterbacks for the competition they have planned for the position this summer.

Per ESPN's Adam Schefter, Matt Schaub is expected to sign somewhere this week, and the Jets are among the teams kicking the tires on him. The Falcons and Ravens are two other teams specifically mentioned as having interest.

Schaub, who will be 34 in June, began his career with the Falcons but had seven up-and-down seasons with the Texans that were mostly down in the end. He backed up rookie Derek Carr with the Raiders last year and was released earlier this month.

Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan had spent many years in the Texans' scouting department, so presumably he has plenty of intel on Schaub.

The Jets don't have any easy answers at quarterback this year. Geno Smith, he of the many, mighty struggles during his first two NFL seasons, is the incumbent. The Jets also traded for veteran Ryan Fitzpatrick to be Smith's competition, and Fitzpatrick has the experience of having worked with offensive coordinator Chan Gailey when he and Gailey were with the Bills.

Then there's the draft, which is one month from today. The Jets have the No. 6 pick, and they have a chance to his the reset button by taking a crack at either Florida State's Jameis Winston or Oregon's Marcus Mariota, assuming either is still on the board when it's the Jets' turn.

Head coach Todd Bowles has said Smith will be the starter heading into training camp, but that Smith would have to earn the job from that point forward. And Fitzpatrick is nursing a broken leg that will limit him during organized team activities and minicamp, though he is expected to be ready to compete when training camp begins in late July.

Schaub's best days are behind him. He peaked with the Texans in 2009, when his Total QBR was 72.6 and he threw for 29 touchdown passes and 4,770 yards. But by 2013, his final season with the Texans, Schaub had thrown 14 interceptions in just 10 games.

The Jets' reported interest in Schaub should not be taken as a sign they're set on having him as the starter. If they can get him at a low price, they won't have much to lose by at least bringing him in for a look-see.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Jets don't appear to be done gathering quarterbacks for the competition they have planned for the position this summer.

Per ESPN's Adam Schefter, Matt Schaub is expected to sign somewhere this week, and the Jets are among the teams kicking the tires on him. The Falcons and Ravens are two other teams specifically mentioned as having interest.

Schaub, who will be 34 in June, began his career with the Falcons but had seven up-and-down seasons with the Texans that were mostly down in the end. He backed up rookie Derek Carr with the Raiders last year and was released earlier this month.

Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan had spent many years in the Texans' scouting department, so presumably he has plenty of intel on Schaub.

The Jets don't have any easy answers at quarterback this year. Geno Smith, he of the many, mighty struggles during his first two NFL seasons, is the incumbent. The Jets also traded for veteran Ryan Fitzpatrick to be Smith's competition, and Fitzpatrick has the experience of having worked with offensive coordinator Chan Gailey when he and Gailey were with the Bills.

Then there's the draft, which is one month from today. The Jets have the No. 6 pick, and they have a chance to his the reset button by taking a crack at either Florida State's Jameis Winston or Oregon's Marcus Mariota, assuming either is still on the board when it's the Jets' turn.

Head coach Todd Bowles has said Smith will be the starter heading into training camp, but that Smith would have to earn the job from that point forward. And Fitzpatrick is nursing a broken leg that will limit him during organized team activities and minicamp, though he is expected to be ready to compete when training camp begins in late July.

Schaub's best days are behind him. He peaked with the Texans in 2009, when his Total QBR was 72.6 and he threw for 29 touchdown passes and 4,770 yards. But by 2013, his final season with the Texans, Schaub had thrown 14 interceptions in just 10 games.

The Jets' reported interest in Schaub should not be taken as a sign they're set on having him as the starter. If they can get him at a low price, they won't have much to lose by at least bringing him in for a look-see.

> http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/03/jets_reportedly_interested_in_quarterback_matt_sch.html

I thought we already had Matt Schaub  - except his name was Ryan Fitzpatrick?

Schaub has been awful for the last 3 years.  Fitzpatrick's play has steadily improved.  The only thing they have in common is they both happened to be Houston Texans at some point in their careers.

I always liked Shaub.  He was my post-Patrick Ramsey Patrick Ramsey.

That was years ago.

Now?

No thanks, Fitz will do for the "veteran body" role.

With that said, I guess another body is another body, ensuring an even lower chance Geno Smith wins and starts, so that'd be good at least.

Long as he is Cheapy McCheapy Cheap.

Bummer...I was still a believer in Matt Simms. Ha....No joke. HAHA.

Also...I thought the P.Rivers rumors were legit. I thought it made sense with Rivers unwilling to sign extension and Mariota possibly falling to us. Goes to show you what type of crazy, fantastical, make-believe world I live in.

Vick-Smith = Blackest QB staff in the league. The image of those two sulking on the bench with their hoodies up while rest of the team tried to play the game will forever piss me off.

Fitzpatrick-Schaub = Whitest QB staff in the league. Holy crap...can you get any whiter than these two? Sounds like a Law Firm--Fitzpatrick, Schaub, and Schaub.

Quarterback Matt Schaub is expected to sign with a new team this week, a source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Cary Edmondson/USA TODAY SportsQuarterback Matt Schaub is expected to sign with a new team this week.

The New York Jets, Baltimore Ravens and Atlanta Falcons are among the teams interested in Schaub, who was released by the Oakland Raiders this offseason.

The Ravens and Falcons are in the market for an experienced quarterback to back up established starters Joe Flacco and Matt Ryan, respectively. The Jets' quarterback situation is more unsettled, with the inconsistent Geno Smith expected to get most of the reps in offseason work while Ryan Fitzpatrick continues to recover from a broken leg he suffered last season.

The Raiders acquired Schaub a year ago from Houston for a sixth-round pick, expecting him to start. However, after he struggled in the preseason, they went with rookie Derek Carr. The second-round pick was the only rookie quarterback to start every game in 2014.

Schaub, who was a third-round pick of the Falcons in 2004 out of Virginia, was traded to the Houston Texans in 2007 and started 88 games with Houston.

Falcons offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan was Schaub's quarterbacks coach in 2007 and his offensive coordinator for the 2008 and 2009 seasons.

In 2009, Schaub completed 396 of 583 passes for an NFL-leading 4,770 yards with 29 touchdowns and 15 interceptions en route to making the Pro Bowl.

> http://espn.go.com/newyork/nfl/story/_/id/12587634/matt-schaub-likely-sign-week

Schaub has been awful for the last 3 years.  Fitzpatrick's play has steadily improved.  The only thing they have in common is they both happened to be Houston Texans at some point in their careers.

What they have in common is they've been second rate NFL QB's, they're old and you're not winning anything with them.

That was my point...We simply don't need another back-up level QB on the roster.

What they have in common is they've been second rate NFL QB's, they're old and you're not winning anything with them.

That was my point...We simply don't need another back-up level QB on the roster.

It's definitely redundant, agreed.  Our 3rd QB on the roster ought to be a rookie, not a veteran backup type.

I always liked Shaub.  He was my post-Patrick Ramsey Patrick Ramsey.

That was years ago.

Now?

No thanks, Fitz will do for the "veteran body" role.

With that said, I guess another body is another body, ensuring an even lower chance Geno Smith wins and starts, so that'd be good at least.

Long as he is Cheapy McCheapy Cheap.

I almost remember a jersey.  LOL  Do I?  Or am I just doing that thing?

If this is true obviously Maccagnan is behind it.  Schaub has fallen off the face of the earth but what

happened to him???  From 2008-2012 he was producing very good numbers:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/5615/matt-schaub

Why did he go into the toilet?  This also tells you they weren't impressed with what they saw out of

Mariota over the weekend.  If he's choosing between us, ATL and BAL I'd be shocked if he didn't

sign with us.  He's not beating out Ryan or Flacco but he could get into an competition with Smith

and Fitzpatrick.  Throw more "stuff" against the wall and see if it sticks

Archived