Matt Schaub signs with Ravens

Jetlife33

If this is true obviously Maccagnan is behind it.  Schaub has fallen off the face of the earth but what

happened to him???  From 2008-2012 he was producing very good numbers:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/5615/matt-schaub

Why did he go into the toilet?  This also tells you they weren't impressed with what they saw out of

Mariota over the weekend.  If he's choosing between us, ATL and BAL I'd be shocked if he didn't

sign with us.  He's not beating out Ryan or Flacco but he could get into an competition with Smith

and Fitzpatrick.  Throw more "stuff" against the wall and see if it sticks

There are many reasons why the Jets are thinking about signing Matt Schaub. It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with Mariotta performance at his workout . For example, Maybe they feel Mariotta won't make it to six. ( think he's going much earlier, and aren't willing to pay the price to trade up for).

Signing Matt Schaub ( won't be for a lot) has no bearing if they eventually draft Marcus Mariotta.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If anything, it's probably just insurance in the case that Fitz doesn't heal up like expected. They probably want to avoid a situation where Geno is forced to start because of an injury (a la 2013). If they do sign him, I figure it won't be much more than the veteran minimum, and if they end up drafting a late-round QB, or decide to keep Simms, Shaub will probably be the odd man out. I don't think we should expect Shaub to start.

Ryan Fitzpatrick is not improving. Stop it.

once again he's making up sh!t to support his argument. Used to be he would leave out entire paragraphs of what people wrote after going to the JIF school of reading comprehension now he's giving us the DVOA crap.

I think Schaub's downfall was when Kubiak left..... with Kubiak, Schaub was pretty good. Not sure who would fair better between Fitz and Schaub

If this is true obviously Maccagnan is behind it.  Schaub has fallen off the face of the earth but what

Why did he go into the toilet?  This also tells you they weren't impressed with what they saw out of

Mariota over the weekend.  If he's choosing between us, ATL and BAL I'd be shocked if he didn't

sign with us.  He's not beating out Ryan or Flacco but he could get into an competition with Smith

Kubiak happened ..they fired him. I didn't care much for Kubiak as a HC at times he seemed lost during critical moments but the guy can coach offense. Schaub also had some years half his offense got hurt and that was during the end of Kubiicks tenure. Schaub can easily turn it around in the right situation

Bummer...I was still a believer in Matt Simms. Ha....No joke. HAHA.

Also...I thought the P.Rivers rumors were legit. I thought it made sense with Rivers unwilling to sign extension and Mariota possibly falling to us. Goes to show you what type of crazy, fantastical, make-believe world I live in.

Vick-Smith = Blackest QB staff in the league. The image of those two sulking on the bench with their hoodies up while rest of the team tried to play the game will forever piss me off.

Fitzpatrick-Schaub = Whitest QB staff in the league. Holy crap...can you get any whiter than these two? Sounds like a Law Firm--Fitzpatrick, Schaub, and Schaub.

Gotta admit, this made me laugh... 

The guys is done.  Mac should know that better than anybody.

the team around Schaub was done and old. They had their run and Schaub put up very good numbers. The Jet have a better O-line and younger skill players and Schaub could very well do just fine in out offense. Nothing should suggest hes done physically hes only 33 and that's now very doable in the NFL QB's are protected .... Schab has some football left and it all come down to whether our GM thinks he does as well since he was there when Schaubs career took a turn

How did you come to that conclusion??  You realize that odds are unless we trade up Mariota probably won't even be there at 6?   Schaub is a JAG and should come cheap.  If he signs he will just provide more competition and just provides additional qb insurance.   MacCags is just doing what any smart GM in his situation would do and that is keep all his options open at this point. 

How did you come to that conclusion??  You realize that odds are unless we trade up Mariota probably won't even be there at 6?   Schaub is a JAG and should come cheap.  If he signs he will just provide more competition and just provides additional qb insurance.   MacCags is just doing what any smart GM in his situation would do and that is keep all his options open at this point. 

The only thing that I question is that everytime we bring somebody in, we have that much less cap room. Sure it may only be $40,000 or so signing bonus, but I want to be ready when OTA and Training camp cuts begin. There will be some good players available, especially for the OL and WR corp. As long as they still have enough money/flexibility to sign Rookies and some camp cuts, I'm OK

with whatever MacDaddy does.

The only thing that I question is that everytime we bring somebody in, we have that much less cap room. Sure it may only be $40,000 or so signing bonus, but I want to be ready when OTA and Training camp cuts begin. There will be some good players available, especially for the OL and WR corp. As long as they still have enough money/flexibility to sign Rookies and some camp cuts, I'm OK

with whatever MacDaddy does.

Well considering he spent much of his career with Houston Texans he should know Schaubs game very well.  Maybe he thinks he has something left. 

kicking tires is macc's job.  not a bad idea since harvard is coming off of a broken leg.  

they probably figured mariota is going #2 after meeting his awesomeness over the weekend so they are onto plan C

kicking tires is macc's job.  not a bad idea since harvard is coming off of a broken leg.  

they probably figured mariota is going #2 after meeting his awesomeness over the weekend so they are onto plan C

THIS

Schaub when he wasnt a pick six waiting to happen was a sh*t ton of a lot better than sh*tzpatrick.

Agreed. When Schaub was in his prime he was a legit top half of the league QB in Houston. Then a couple years ago he turned into an older, declining version of Sanchez with all the pick-6s.

I never really cared for Fitzpatrick, only time I watched him was when we beat Buffalo's ass (Rex and our D owned him) or when he'd have the occasion good game against NE since I live in MA. But after looking at his stats, he actually has gotten better numbers wise the past few years, and believe it or not was a top 10 QB in passer rating in his 12 starts with Houston.

2014 Houston 12 games/63 comp %/17 TDs/8 INTs/95.3 passer rating

2013 Tennessee 11 games/62 comp %/14 TDs/12 INTs/82 passer rating

2012 Buffalo 16 games/60.6 comp %/24 TDs/16 INTs/83.3 passer rating

2011 Buffalo 16 games 62 comp %/24 TDs/23 INTs/79.1 passer rating

Maybe he just fit really well into O'Brien's offense, but I've heard the same when he played under Gailey, and under Gailey is where he earned that huge $60mil contract (give or take).

Personally I was surprised how effective Fitzpatrick has been when you look at his stats (as I've already admitted I don't watch much of him) and when you look at his numbers he has improved when you look at his passer rating. If he can play roughly the same for us next season we'll be in good shape AND you can argue this season he'll be working with the best weapons he's had all throughout his career.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

2014 NFL Passer Ratings League Leaders

1. Romo - DAL - 113.2

2. Rodgers - GB - 112.2

3. Roethlisberger - 103.3

4. P. Manning - DEN - 101.5

5. Brady - NE - 97.4

6. Brees - NO - 97

7. Luck - IND - 96.5

8. Palmer - ARI - 95.6

9. Fitzpatrick - HOU - 95.3

10. Wilson - SEA - 95

I would have never guessed Fitzpatrick would be ahead of Wilson and 9th overall, regardless if your not a huge fan of the Passer rating stat or not it's still impressive as it does hold some water.

Really makes me wonder why Houston would dump him for Brian freakin Hoyer?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

A few of the olineman we have signed have been near bottom of the barrel guys.  If Schaub comes cheap then add him to the list. The more competition and depth in every position the better.  In past years a QB we went out of our way to have no depth or had one injury and had no depth.  I think the Zona experience taught Bowles that you want depth and more depth at QB.

I would rather gamble on Geno taking a step forward rather than going with known and established ass at QB.

Gamble as in a 2 game losing streak? He better GTFO if he does because the Jets have a secondary that can keep them in games now and I'm not wasting another Sunday sitting in the freaking stadium if he isn't benched!

The problem is, Schaub is not an option.  This guy had suspect arm talent when he entered the league and it got worst as the yrs went by. He can't throw the ball by anyone and he can't out fox  anyone anymore.

This is what happens when you've had league-worst QB play for six years.  Every single option that hits the market is worth looking at.

The problem is, Schaub is not an option.  This guy had suspect arm talent when he entered the league and it got worst as the yrs went by. He can't throw the ball by anyone and he can't out fox  anyone anymore.

So, you think he should be #2 on the depth chart?

Archived