Matt Schaub signs with Ravens

Jetlife33

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

he had some good years in houston but he has been putrid the last few years.  he is soft and is a pick machine.  i understand kicking the tires, but i am not in favor of this move.  

He isn't any better than he used to be and he had Andre freaking Johnson and Arian Foster to play with.  I'll stick with Geno/Fitz and exploring a Rivers trade.

I always liked Shaub.  He was my post-Patrick Ramsey Patrick Ramsey.

That was years ago.

Now?

No thanks, Fitz will do for the "veteran body" role.

With that said, I guess another body is another body, ensuring an even lower chance Geno Smith wins and starts, so that'd be good at least.

Long as he is Cheapy McCheapy Cheap.

I always like Schaub too. And I currently feel the same way you do, however, if its on the cheap with nothing guaranteed then I would do it. 

What they have in common is they've been second rate NFL QB's, they're old and you're not winning anything with them.

That was my point...We simply don't need another back-up level QB on the roster.

This is a myopic post.  Of course you don't sign Schaub for starter money, and you don't guarantee anything beyond a moderate signing bonus, but there is absolutely no reason not to have both he and Fitz on the roster for TC.  You wouldn't keep both into the season (unless you are starting one and have totally given up on Geno), but it's completely within the realm of plausibility for Schaub to outplay Fitz in TC - in which case you cut Fitzpatrick and keep Schaub (either as the starter or backup).  And if that doesn't happen, you say thank you to Schaub for his effort and let him go after TC.

Schaub's best days are behind him. He peaked with the Texans in 2009, when his Total QBR was 72.6 and he threw for 29 touchdown passes and 4,770 yards. But by 2013, his final season with the Texans, Schaub had thrown 14 interceptions in just 10 games.

Schaub is washed up. He is a gunshy QB who has been sacked too many times and now just flings it to avoid contact. He can't escape like he used to and that has gotten into his head. This guy will be more of a turnover machine than Smith and Fitzpatrick COMBINED. 

This is a myopic post.  Of course you don't sign Schaub for starter money, and you don't guarantee anything beyond a moderate signing bonus, but there is absolutely no reason not to have both he and Fitz on the roster for TC.  You wouldn't keep both into the season (unless you are starting one and have totally given up on Geno), but it's completely within the realm of plausibility for Schaub to outplay Fitz in TC - in which case you cut Fitzpatrick and keep Schaub (either as the starter or backup).  And if that doesn't happen, you say thank you to Schaub for his effort and let him go after TC.

It's certainly not myopic.

In fact it's quite the opposite for a number of reasons...

1) You have limited reps you can give a QB - the more QB's the less reps available to judge the others

2) There's more than enough film on these guys to determine their abilities - what are you going to see from them during summer sessions that's going to tell you which is better?

3) Signing anyone still costs money.  whether they make the team or not

4) It's a waste of coaching resources that can be applied to helping Geno and Fitz.

The team made their decision on the "vet/former crappy starter" signing.  Certainly trade away or cut Fitz and sign Schaub but you don't keep both.

1) You have limited reps you can give a QB - the more QB's the less reps available to judge the others

2) There's more than enough film on these guys to determine their abilities - what are you going to see from them during summer sessions that's going to tell you which is better?

4) It's a waste of coaching resources that can be applied to helping Geno and Fitz.

The team made their decision on the "vet/former crappy starter" signing.  Certainly trade away or cut Fitz and sign Schaub but you don't keep both.

Yeah. Lol at people thinking Schaub is going to be had for the league minimum. Someone will pay him a multiple of that.

They might even offer to pick up the tab to have the bolts removed from his neck. 

Day one of camp, oh no!  Fitz hurt his shoulder he is out for 3 months!

Welcome to Geno as the 100% starter, welcome to simms or some other jag as your backup.  Vet QB's do not need the baby sitting young guys do so that is a very small factor indeed.

If you are going to complain about getting too much depth for the most important position on the team you better be hollering loudly about all the vet jag olineman we have signed.

To me this is just another sign they have zero faith in Geno. Thank god. Someone in the Jets organization gets football and recognizes talent or in genos case a lack thereof.

That's what it's starting to look like.  I read that Fitz earns in the area of 3.3 million.  Doubt Schaub is going to play for vets min, probably about what Fitz is getting.  He has two other teams interested.

Have a feeling while Macc and Bowles have been busy with FA, Gailey has been watching tape.  When they got a chance to catch their breath he showed them some of the tape.

"You got to be kidding me?  This is the guy your going to give the ball to while Fitz rehabs?"  Off they go to find some one who at  least used to be able to play the game. 

Yeah. Lol at people thinking Schaub is going to be had for the league minimum. Someone will pay him a multiple of that.

They might even offer to pick up the tab to have the bolts removed from his neck.

Where is Schaub getting north of a million in free agency? Half the teams in the nfl don't have even a decent qb on their roster yet it's 3/30 and he's still unsigned.

Day one of camp, oh no!  Fitz hurt his shoulder he is out for 3 months!

Welcome to Geno as the 100% starter, welcome to simms or some other jag as your backup.  Vet QB's do not need the baby sitting young guys do so that is a very small factor indeed.

If you are going to complain about getting too much depth for the most important position on the team you better be hollering loudly about all the vet jag olineman we have signed.

Then Geno shouldn't be on the team - if you don't have faith in him to be the back-up then you shouldn't carry him at all.  If you're committed to seeing what Geno has - I would rather bring in another project and keep only one vet...

Then Geno shouldn't be on the team - if you don't have faith in him to be the back-up then you shouldn't carry him at all.  If you're committed to seeing what Geno has - I would rather bring in another project and keep only one vet...

Logan Thomas wasn't good enough to be the backup in Arizona, who apparently "gets it" with regard to QB development.

Where is Schaub getting north of a million in free agency? Half the teams in the nfl don't have even a decent qb on their roster yet it's 3/30 and he's still unsigned.

Speed in signing him is not relevant. When there were at least 3 teams interested he's not going to get signed for the league minimum. Ravens, Cowboys, Titans, Falcons, Jets all were listed as having interest.

He wasn't in any rush. He knows there isn't anyone else available and was likely the best of what was left.

We'll find out very shortly. He just signed with Baltimore.

he signed with the Ravens 

says something about him,,all money.

He had a legit shot to play w/Jets, will never get a shot w/Ravens unless thru injury.

Jets may have offered less, but thats OK, if they viewed him at that price. Mac has been doing fine so far.

Matt Schaub signs with Ravens

Updated: March 31, 2015, 2:16 PM ET
By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com
  •  

OWINGS MILLS, Md. -- The Baltimore Ravens signed Matt Schaub to be their backup quarterback Tuesday, a source confirmed to ESPN.com.

Schaub, 33, was released by the Raiders on March 16 after one forgettable season in Oakland. He replaces Tyrod Taylor, who had backed up Joe Flacco for the past four seasons.

The Falcons, Titans and Jets also were reportedly interested in Schaub. This move gives the Ravens their most experienced insurance policy since they had Marc Bulger as their backup in 2010.

Schaub has struggled the last two seasons, getting benched in Houston in 2013 and getting beat out by rookie Derek Carr in Oakland last season. He has had five interceptions returned for touchdowns in the past two years.

This followed a solid run of success for Schaub, who had four 4,000-yard passing seasons for the Houston Texans. He went to his second Pro Bowl in 2012.

The addition of Schaub upgrades the Ravens' backup spot. Keith Wenning, who spent his entire rookie season on the practice squad, will likely remain the No. 3 quarterback.

The backup quarterback position has never been a high priority for the Ravens. Flacco has started 112 straight regular-season games, which is the third-longest streak in the NFL behind Eli Manning and Philip Rivers.

says something about him,,all money.

He had a legit shot to play w/Jets, will never get a shot w/Ravens unless thru injury.

Jets may have offered less, but thats OK, if they viewed him at that price. Mac has been doing fine so far.

Maybe he thinks Baltimore has a better shot at the Super Bowl than the Jets.

It's so far being reported as a 2 year contract at about $2M per season.

Like I was saying, a multiple of the league minimum.

Oh well, as I stated earlier in this thread Fitzpatrick has been better, so I don't think he'd beat him out for our vet spot at the position.....and I'm fine with 1 vet (Fitz), Geno, and someone in the draft.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Oh no, we've missed on a shot QB with no arm, and worse under pressure then Mark Sanchez, when he'd throw pick 6's to D-linemen, just so they would not rush him.

I don't think anyone is upset that we "missed" out on picking up Schaub.

With Fitzpatrick locked up for the year at $1.3M, and Smith, and a draft coming up? For this team, exceeding $3M for Schaub would make $7.5M per for Harris look like a genius contract in comparison.

We don't exactly have the greatest QB situation, and it was fine to pick up a phone and inquire, but it's good to know when to buy and when to just browse and keep your wallet in your pants.

Archived