Matt Schaub signs with Ravens

Jetlife33

Gotta love how 'it's a business' when a team cuts a guy but not when a player takes the most money from multiple offers.

Well I think I know which post you're referring to. My take on it was it's more that, to Schaub, the business move was for him to take a sure thing backup job rather than one with a legitimate shot at starting. There is obviously no such shot in Baltimore. If Schaub believed in himself, the business move would be to bet on himself, win the starting job on a team with a shaky starter situation, and then he'd clean up triple the following year.

In other words, he's accepted spending the rest of his career (what's left of it) as a veteran backup instead of a veteran in the mix for a starting job.

The comment (as I read it) had nothing to do with taking money over team loyalty or anything like that. 

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I think I know which post you're referring to. My take on it was it's more that, to Schaub, the business move was for him to take a sure thing backup job rather than one with a legitimate shot at starting. There is obviously no such shot in Baltimore. If Schaub believed in himself, the business move would be to bet on himself, win the starting job on a team with a shaky starter situation, and then he'd clean up triple the following year.

In other words, he's accepted spending the rest of his career (what's left of it) as a veteran backup instead of a veteran in the mix for a starting job.

The comment (as I read it) had nothing to do with taking money over team loyalty or anything like that.

After taxes he's getting $1.5, not bad. He's 33. Sit behind Flacco for $1.5 take home or take less money to MAYBE start on a rebuilding team?

After taxes he's getting $1.5, not bad. He's 33. Sit behind Flacco for $1.5 take home or take less money to MAYBE start on a rebuilding team?

It's more that it isn't the decision one would make if one was confident in his ability. Not knocking his decision, as I think it's a smart one for him, but it does speak to how he views himself. 

Some people - like the poster you're referring to - just don't care for any QB who doesn't see himself as a starter. If he loses the competition then he loses it, but it's another thing entirely if a QB accepts losing without trying.

Archived