TV Series (Opinions, Recommendations, Flaming, etc) ***BEWARE POSSIBLE SPOILERS***

I enjoyed it. It was solid. I liked Daredevil better.

Fargo was the best show on TV this year.

Dexter was awful after the Lithgow season.

Yeah, I like Daredevil better too but I know the character much better, so I think that plays a factor. 

I got to check out Fargo.

Another Netflix original I started the other night has been great.  Master of None.  Aziz Ansari's show.  Freaking hilarious. 

Yeah, I like Daredevil better too but I know the character much better, so I think that plays a factor. 

Another Netflix original I started the other night has been great.  Master of None.  Aziz Ansari's show.  Freaking hilarious. 

That's on my list as well. I loved him on Parks and Rec. That and Narcos are next on the binge list.

• Upvote 1

Anyone watch/watching Sense8 on Netflix? It has a 21 Grams or Babel feel, with seemingly unrelated characters having intersecting stories - except that their relation is the whole premise of the show. Also lacks the preachiness of those films. May have too much of teh gay for some, as it's done by the the former Wachowski Brothers, now simply the Wachowskis. There's definitely a lot of input here from Larry turned Lana. If you can get past that, the characters draw you in, and the developing relationship of the characters is binge-worthy. 

"The Man in the High Castle"- the people who wrote this show's ending need to be hung by their fingernails until they apologize profusely. WHAT THE F___?

SPOILER ALERT-

After 10 pretty good episodes, the entire series appears to be nothing more than a dream of a Japanese diplomat living and working in San Francisco in 1962.

"Spotless" by the way gets better and better. Turning Mr. Bates in a ruthless crime boss was brilliant. "I hope you have a long career. Because I own you, and I loathe you".

Making a Murderer. On Netflix. Ten one hour episodes. Documentary. Binge on it in a few days and then get back to me. Good lord!

The Mrs. got me into it. 

Can say that the prosecutor's closing statement ,as well as a whole lot of other bad stuff, would have been grounds in NY for a mistrial in about 10 seconds.Was frankly shocked some of the stuff that was shown. A DA cannot shift the burden like that. 

Think while it may not have been proven by what was shown in the show, very likely "he did it". Not sure what they showed and what they left out. Not to say the producers were wrong or bad or slanted, but a wrongly-convicted defendant is a much better story than a guilty one. 

As to the nephew, at a loss how you remove his attorney for ineffective assistance of counsel and not suppress his statements. There was no other proof other than the statements, and the DA saying in Steven's trial "only 1 man is responsible" should have been front and center. may it was, again, what were we shown?

Nonetheless very compelling.

Not sure if it has already been discussed, but if you haven't watched The Man in the High Castle yet... there's no excuse, get to it. It's one of the better new shows I've come across. I knew nothing about it going in, and purposefully didn't dig around when I realized I liked it... so towards the end of the season when I realized "holy sh*t, this is sci fi???!!!" it was a great little surprise for me... I really did just think it was an alternate history piece. I had no idea where it was going, but I love it. 

I'm embarrassed to say I didn't realize who Phillip K. Dick was, so that's why I think it was a surprise.

Not sure if it has already been discussed, but if you haven't watched The Man in the High Castle yet... there's no excuse, get to it. It's one of the better new shows I've come across. I knew nothing about it going in, and purposefully didn't dig around when I realized I liked it... so towards the end of the season when I realized holy sh*t, this is sci fi???!!!"

I'm embarrassed to say I didn't realize who Phillip K. Dick was, so that's why I think it was a surprise.

you just spoiled it...

Edited by Tyler Durden

well you just spoiled it it...

it was a great little surprise for me... I really did just think it was an alternate history piece. I had no idea where it was going, but I love it. 

I checked the thread title to make sure spoilers were okay like 5 times after I posted that, lol

Making a Murderer. On Netflix. Ten one hour episodes. Documentary. Binge on it in a few days and then get back to me. Good lord!

The Mrs. got me into it. 

Can say that the prosecutor's closing statement ,as well as a whole lot of other bad stuff, would have been grounds in NY for a mistrial in about 10 seconds.Was frankly shocked some of the stuff that was shown. A DA cannot shift the burden like that. 

Think while it may not have been proven by what was shown in the show, very likely "he did it". Not sure what they showed and what they left out. Not to say the producers were wrong or bad or slanted, but a wrongly-convicted defendant is a much better story than a guilty one. 

As to the nephew, at a loss how you remove his attorney for ineffective assistance of counsel and not suppress his statements. There was no other proof other than the statements, and the DA saying in Steven's trial "only 1 man is responsible" should have been front and center. may it was, again, what were we shown?

Nonetheless very compelling.

Great documentary.  Totally hooked, finished it over the weekend. 

It's getting a ton of attention.  Jurors are coming out saying the believed he was framed but feared for the lives.  

****Spoiler Alert**** - the whole situation with Brandon is unreal.  It was clear as day that he was being told what to say in both his original interview with the investigators and then with his attorney.  UNREAL.  And then the phone call with his mom...holy sh*t.  They dont even know what the word "inconsistent" means.  I feel so bad for that kid.  He didnt do a thing.  I truly believe that.

Maybe Steven Avery did, maybe he didnt.  I think the lack of blood, the planted evidence, the funky EDTA situation, the time lines, the fact they didnt even investigate anyone else...nothing adds up.  My belief is that he was framed.  I mean, what guilty person is going to fight this hard to prove his innocence?  And lets be real, neither of them are smart enough to pull this off with little to no evidence pointing at them.  

I think the brother did it. 

Edited by JiF

we watched first episode of Fargo S1 last night... it's ******* great.

"The Man in the High Castle"- the people who wrote this show's ending need to be hung by their fingernails until they apologize profusely. WHAT THE F___?

SPOILER ALERT-

After 10 pretty good episodes, the entire series appears to be nothing more than a dream of a Japanese diplomat living and working in San Francisco in 1962.

"Spotless" by the way gets better and better. Turning Mr. Bates in a ruthless crime boss was brilliant. "I hope you have a long career. Because I own you, and I loathe you".

Not sure if it has already been discussed, but if you haven't watched The Man in the High Castle yet... there's no excuse, get to it. It's one of the better new shows I've come across. I knew nothing about it going in, and purposefully didn't dig around when I realized I liked it... so towards the end of the season when I realized "holy sh*t, this is sci fi???!!!" it was a great little surprise for me... I really did just think it was an alternate history piece. I had no idea where it was going, but I love it. 

you just spoiled it...

By the way, if you're really being serious about this... three posts above mine the actual spoiler is written out. All I did was have an epiphany that it's a different genre than I realized, which anyone could find out by looking at the show's listing on Amazon Prime where it says it is drama and sci-fi in the description.

Really enjoyed Fargo S1, and am halfway into S2... love them both. I really dig the spaghetti western aesthetic of S2, my wife has been meh about it, but I think it works, and I like some of the gentle acknowledgements of it throughout... to me, they could have just told their story and it would have worked, but to take it the extra mile and apply such a stylized layer to it... I love that kind of commitment to creative endeavor.

• Upvote 1

Finished S2 of Fargo tonight... kinda scratching my head with the final 2 episodes, it's like everything they built up both from a story and aesthetic standpoint was sort of dropped in the end. A lot of questionable decisions... but I think I like it anyway.

*** possible spoilers ***

• I loved the closing message that the new organized crime is corporate America, and how "get rid of this cowboy sh*t" dovetailed into the transition away from the spaghetti western aesthetics... I guess, if they were going for the Souix Falls Massacre being the Shootout at the OK Corral and the demarcation of when everything "wild west" stopped being, then abandoning the western style intro and aesthetics make sense. I dunno. I'm still hung up on it. 
  • I absolutely loved the political undertones. 1979 and the shop owner talks about how the hippies think his wife's hairspray is making the climate warmer. Combine that with the way they juxtaposed Reagan (played by Bruce Campbell, what!!!!) as a brilliant speaker at the podium, with no substance behind his message as a man. Quite a few moments that really confront some of the more ridiculous polarity we face today.
  • I like that Hansey was "the animal" that the grandfather talked about in S1. It took a couple episodes for it to materialize as being him, they made you wait for it, but when they revealed it.... oh boy. 
  • Kirsten Dunst made you want to shake sense into her. She played her role brilliantly. I hated her.
  • Jesse Plemons has been great in every single thing I've seen him in.
  • Cancer ******* suck. All this action, and one of the more jarring sub-plots is the unspoken struggle with the wife's cancer. Gut wrenching.
  • The steady current of UFO references... combined with Danson's character making his own language. Will they go full X-files in S3? It felt a little shoehorned in, but I like it.
  • Ultimately, they told a great mafia story. That, in and of itself, stood on its own. They layered in politics, UFOs, social commentary about illness, women, and a few other topics, and messages about how the more things change the more they stay the same... and it held up, there were moments where it felt strained a bit to stay contained, but they did it.

Overall, what a great 2 season run so far. I was pissed when my wife said 2017 for the next season. WTF!!!!

No Spoilers here (yet).  

so, did anyone watch the season premier of Billions last Sunday?

I really like almost all films with Paul Giamatti and he did not disappoint as Chuck Rhodes in the Billions premier on Showtime.  His relationship with wife Wendy played by Maggie Siff looks to be very interesting as well. (opening and closing scriptless scenes).  Jury out on Damian Lewis as Bobby Axelrod.  I thought Lewis was very good on Homeland, so it will be interesting to see if he can pull this one off.  But as of now, Giamatti steals the show.    1st episode was good enough to hook me.  As always, Showtime rocks.

p.s.  Do all TV show comments go to this thread or do we open new threads to discuss new/ongoing shows?  Would prefer a new thread for Billions so we can discuss without worrying about spoilers for those who haven't watched yet.

Edited by Dcat

No Spoilers here (yet).  

I really like almost all films with Paul Giamatti and he did not disappoint as Chuck Rhodes in the Billions premier on Showtime.  His relationship with wife Wendy played by Maggie Siff looks to be very interesting as well. (opening and closing scriptless scenes).  Jury out on Damian Lewis as Bobby Axelrod.  I thought Lewis was very good on Homeland, so it will be interesting to see if he can pull this one off.  But as of now, Giamatti steals the show.    1st episode was good enough to hook me.  As always, Showtime rocks.

p.s.  Do all TV show comments go to this thread or do we open new threads to discuss new/ongoing shows?  Would prefer a new thread for Billions so we can discuss without worrying about spoilers for those who haven't watched yet.

This is a general TV thread WITH spoilers in it.

If you want a Billions thread, with NO spoilers, you should just create a thread for it. We have them for Walking Dead and some other shows. Just be clear to say "NO SPOILERS" in the title or something. 

I can't wait to check this show out, fwiw.

This is a general TV thread WITH spoilers in it.

If you want a Billions thread, with NO spoilers, you should just create a thread for it. We have them for Walking Dead and some other shows. Just be clear to say "NO SPOILERS" in the title or something. 

I can't wait to check this show out, fwiw.

thanks for the info.  Not sure that a stand alone thread would survive since it will be a while until enough people watch the show to make such a thread viable.

But I thought the season premier of Billions was promising.  We'll see as the weeks progress.  Hey, I didn't like Ray Donovan after the first 2 or 3 episodes and now it's on my list of favorites.  Some shows take a little while to grow on you.  Other shows you grow out of (i.e. Homeland, which pretty much sucked balls the past 2 seasons).

No Spoilers here (yet).  

Liked the first episode. But Damian Lewis(who is English yet seems to play nothing but Americans) looks more like a Patrick Sullivan than a Bobby Axlerod. Worked for Dicaprio in WoW. 

Maggie Siff-oh, my.

I'm about 5 episodes in, I think I like Jessica Jones better than Daredevil.  It's darker, grittier, and more believable. 

Not sure how Krysten Ritter has been fantastic in everything she's been in.  Tennant is a much better villain than D'Onofrio. 

Liked the first episode. But Damian Lewis(who is English yet seems to play nothing but Americans) looks more like a Patrick Sullivan than a Bobby Axlerod. Worked for Dicaprio in WoW. 

Maggie Siff-oh, my.

Still hot.

TBH I wish they left that little kink out of the end of the show.  It kind of reveals where the plot may go.  I liked the first episode.

Well, X-Files?

Meh.  I fell asleep while watching the first episode on DVR.

The only remark I can make is that David Duchovny has the emotional range of a raisin.  I never realized how bad of an actor he was, but that explains why I have not watched anything of his since the X-Files.

• Upvote 1

I'm about 5 episodes in, I think I like Jessica Jones better than Daredevil.  It's darker, grittier, and more believable. 

Not sure how Krysten Ritter has been fantastic in everything she's been in.  Tennant is a much better villain than D'Onofrio. 

Preposterous. I assume you were on heroin when you wrote this.