TV Series (Opinions, Recommendations, Flaming, etc) ***BEWARE POSSIBLE SPOILERS***

15 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I'm watching Luke Cage now.  I assume you guys watched it.  Any opinions?  I don't like it near as much as Daredevil or Jessica Jones.  Strangest part for me is the music which constantly fluctuates between awesome and sh*tty.

Probably going to try Mad Dogs on Amazon next.

It's solid.  I dont think its as good as those 2 either but I still find it pretty awesome.  The soundtrack is the bomb, yo.  

I'm looking forward to The Punisher, big time.  He played the role like a boss! 

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

I'm watching Luke Cage now.  I assume you guys watched it.  Any opinions?  I don't like it near as much as Daredevil or Jessica Jones.  Strangest part for me is the music which constantly fluctuates between awesome and sh*tty.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

It's solid.  I dont think its as good as those 2 either but I still find it pretty awesome.  The soundtrack is the bomb, yo.  

I'm looking forward to The Punisher, big time.  He played the role like a boss! 

I agree that it's a good show, but not on par with the other two. The two daredevil seasons and jessica jones I watched in the matter of days. With Luke Cage it took me a couple weeks watching here and there. It didn't grab me like the other two

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Let us know about Mad Dogs

Speaking of Amazon: they renewed Sneaky Pete from the pilot from a while back and it premiers tomorrow night I believe. I watched the pilot last year and was very happy to see it continued and look forward to watching the pilot and the premier tomorrow night.  

Also, The Patriot, which I liked even more, is being renewed off of its pilot. But The Patriot may not be for everybody. But I thought it was excellent and hilarious.

Something say Vince Gilligan might come with, something along those lines

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Anyone watch Taboo? It's promising because Hardy is so good, but the first episode was all about mood and atmospherics and felt a little thin on story. Hopefully that corrects itself. I liked it because it had a lot of Shakespeare in it.

Oona Chaplin is his half sister, and the boy is their kid, right? Obviously they're gonna hash out that back story and hence, the title. The Husband understandably hates him, but from the looks of it Hardy would crush him like a grape. Hardy is as always terrific. 

Just now, Bugg said:

Oona Chaplin is his half sister, and the boy is their kid, right? Obviously they're gonan hash out that back story and hence, the title. The Husband understandably hates him, but from the looks of it Hardy would crush him like a grape. Hardy is as always terrific. 

Absolutely. Hardy walking around in a society of dandies should be fun. Just felt a little thin, imo.

9 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Anyone watch Taboo? It's promising because Hardy is so good, but the first episode was all about mood and atmospherics and felt a little thin on story. Hopefully that corrects itself. I liked it because it had a lot of Shakespeare in it.

It's a page back. 

On 1/12/2017 at 3:27 AM, jetophile said:

Anyone watching 'Taboo' with Tom Hardy?   I love me some Tom Hardy. He seethes 'just touch me once more!"  Nice mix of history, British law, period sets and clothing, hints at cannibalism, PTSD, tribal magic, murder, ghosts, necromancy, soon to come detailed and disgraceful social commentary on the horrid mistreatment of blacks, the horrors of slavery, and a whole lot of death. It comes out that Tom Hardy's character is also bi-racial, which makes it even more interesting. It's only been one episode, and it's already got a slow burn going on, which is perfectly fine.  Sometimes I think people are just way too impatient for sh!t to blow up - especially literally. Be there or be square.  It's on FX, Tuesdays at 10.

http://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/taboo/episodes

Ah ha! Very nice.

On 1/12/2017 at 10:09 AM, greenwichjetfan said:

Also, from one drug show to another:

Gus Fring anyone!?!?

Funny that you should say that, because I just, er, sort of  not Netthinged *caugh caugh* the first episode out of curiosity after all of the discussion (couldn't sleep), and the actor who answers, "La Dispenseria?" is the same actor who sniped at Gustavo Fring, gassed the guys in the truck, and then got choked to death by Mike the Fixer in 'Breaking Bad'. I don't know the actor's name, but facial recognition is my forte.  I know I'm right.  

Everything in 'Breaking Bad' was totally purposeful, including names and Pinochet.  Stuff always crosses over, it's the way of the world; but sometimes in a good way.  I thought it was a good first ep, I just got a little distracted and mildly put off by the WAY the narrator was narrating. I felt like I was listening to Ray Liotta in 'Good Fellas'.  I kept waiting for Boyd Holbrook to say 'Tommy'. A nit-picky point, I know, but I'm sure I'll sort of not Netthing other episodes.  Anyway, every show has flaws and holes, no matter how outstanding - and that of course includes 'Breaking Bad'. However, don't ever get me started on 'Lost', because you'll get a diatribe that you'll never forget. It's actually a really funny story. "Purgatory, yawn."   I said that a half hr into the premier.

On 1/12/2017 at 10:09 AM, greenwichjetfan said:

Also, from one drug show to another:

Gus Fring anyone!?!?

Gustavo is back in S3 of Better Call Saul :cool:

http://www.amc.com/shows/better-call-saul/video-extras/los-pollos-hermanos-taste-the-family?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=2-bcs-video-los-pollos-hermanos&utm_campaign=AMC-Weekly

• Upvote 1

The Mrs. watched "the Crown" so  so did I. 

Great production values,and a good cast. John Lithgow though goes waaaayyy over the top as Winston Churchill. As an American playing a British icon, looks like he couldn't help himself.  The guys who play her husband, father and uncle are great. Not sure how the Golden Globes found that to be the best drama over "Game of...", "Saul" or "The Americans". 

Found myself on Saturday afternoon watching a "Flip or Flop" marathon out of laziness. While I would never encourage domestic violence, however surprising Tarek had not already beaten Christina to death with a shovel. Every time this girl opens her mouth,costs the poor sap $10,000. Doing an home building project with the Mrs. is less than pleasant for everyone involved. doing it as a full time job is INSANE. "I hate that. Take  it down". "BUT THAT"S $15K!". 

And their contractor has NEVER been dead on with an estimate ever. 

I started watching The OA over the weekend. I'm 2 episodes in. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet, but I'm going to stick it out a bit for 2 reasons... I've managed to avoiding learning anything about it, and the woman who stars in it looks like she wrote, produced, etc, etc... so I'm giving it a longer leash just out of respect for the creative versatility.

• Upvote 1

Watched the first two episodes of The Young Pope.  

I'm hooked.  Jude Law is awesome and this show has a kind of creepy/slick vibe to it.  

caveat:  be willing to accept the absurd and ridiculous premise underlying the whole thing.  (i.e. how did he get elected?)

15 hours ago, Dcat said:

Watched the first two episodes of The Young Pope.  

I'm hooked.  Jude Law is awesome and this show has a kind of creepy/slick vibe to it.  

cavet:  be willing to accept the absurd and ridiculous premise underlying the whole thing.  (i.e. how did he get elected?)

I actually saw the back half of episode 4 last night, and am hooked... the production value is amazing, the scenes both grand and minute are artistic and meaningful, and the dialogue is intense... from what I could gather, it's as if they are drawing upon the Catholic Church - organized crime metaphor, at least within the snippet I watched. The natural tension between modern society and Catholic tradition is compelling. 

I'd imagine the entire premise of the show makes the church squirm. I love it.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I lasted about 30 minutes before giving up on Frontier. Boring as sh*t. Who the hell wants a complicated plot and historical accuracy with something like this? If you tell me I'm about to watch Khal Drogo **** some sh*t up for a few hours, then you better deliver. 

I'm surprised you gave it that long. Mamoa just doesn't come across as a lead guy... fun for some action scenes, but no chops to carry an entire project.

I'm gonna plug a series on Netflix I haven't seen mentioned here yet.  'Travelers', starring Eric McCormack (from Will and Grace) in a very different type of role for him.  It's a Canadian SF series that Netflix bought and I have to say it's really compelling if you like SF in general.  You have to be a little lenient with the science (it's about time travel / dystopian future) but the actors and characters are all fantastic.  Anyone seen?

3 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

I actually saw the back half of episode 4 last night, and am hooked... the production value is amazing, the scenes both grand and minute are artistic and meaningful, and the dialogue is intense... from what I could gather, it's as if they are drawing upon the Catholic Church - organized crime metaphor, at least within the snippet I watched. The natural tension between modern society and Catholic tradition is compelling. 

I'm actually pleasantly surprised just how intriguing this show is.  Intelligent script, insidious, ulterior motives from just about everyone...  good job.  Again... Jude Law (whom I've generally liked throughout his career) offers us a phenomenally complex interpretation.  Highly recommend. 

8 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

I'm surprised you gave it that long. Mamoa just doesn't come across as a lead guy... fun for some action scenes, but no chops to carry an entire project.

I'm cool with Mamoa so long as he's doing Mamoa things. Instead of 6 episodes of 18th century British fur trading politics, give us 4 episodes of Mamoa chopping off the heads of English lords and sh*t as they walk around all daintily. That's a show.

Anyone catch 'SIX'? I didn't see it last week but figured that I'd give it a shot seeing as they've been plugging the show like crazy. I dunno, I thought the acting was pretty unimpressive for the most part, and in some scenes, borderline bad. Maybe it's just me. 

Back to 'Taboo', kind of shocking how the f-bombs and the MF bombs fly on a prime time show that ain't cable.  Saw the pilot of 'Sneaky Pete' cuz it was free. Has a little bit of a BB vibe to it. Gotta say that that there are a ton of shows out there that either I've never heard of or that are in their 3rd, 4th and 5th seasons and I've never even seen one episode. So little to do, so much time.

10 hours ago, jetophile said:

Anyone catch 'SIX'? I didn't see it last week but figured that I'd give it a shot seeing as they've been plugging the show like crazy. I dunno, I thought the acting was pretty unimpressive for the most part, and in some scenes, borderline bad. Maybe it's just me. 

Back to 'Taboo', kind of shocking how the f-bombs and the MF bombs fly on a prime time show that ain't cable.  Saw the pilot of 'Sneaky Pete' cuz it was free. Has a little bit of a BB vibe to it. Gotta say that that there are a ton of shows out there that either I've never heard of or that are in their 3rd, 4th and 5th seasons and I've never even seen one episode. So little to do, so much time.

Bryan Cranston is a producer and stars. I'm almost done watching the whole season and for the most part it's pretty entertaining. Not close to BB, but along the lines of Goliath but maybe a notch below because of the prominent role of Billy Bob, but a solid deep cast nonetheless.

I'm waiting for Patriot. I liked the Patriot pilot a little more than Sneaky Pete, but the SP pilot got more love overall on Amazon.

On 1/24/2017 at 10:57 AM, Integrity28 said:

Jude Law's demeanor and speaking pattern is that of Michael Corleone.  Love it.  The New York accent...  stoic expression, never revealing to others what he is truly feeling/thinking until the right surprising moment...  telling one of the Cardinals  "Don't disappoint me."  (I almost heard "Don't disappoint me Fredo".)  Still haven't watched episodes 3 or 4.

6 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Jude Law's demeanor and speaking pattern is that of Michael Corleone.  Love it.  The New York accent...  stoic expression, never revealing to others what he is truly feeling/thinking until the right surprising moment...  telling one of the Cardinals  "Don't disappoint me."  (I almost heard "Don't disappoint me Fredo".)  Still haven't watched episodes 3 or 4.

In the episode I watched, he basically tells a Cardinal something only he would know, then waits for the info to come back to him, to see who he can trust. It's the same move that Corleone uses with Tessio, I believe, right?

• Upvote 1

I'm a big Raymond Burr fan. I have a tremendous soft spot for him. That closet fruit helped me through double pneumonia. I still can't believe that I survived that.  I was confined to bed for five months, believe that?  I couldn't take a breath or walk across the room without barfing phlegm and the worst thing that you could ever do to someone with pneumonia is to keep them sedentary. What did people know in 1840?  As if 1970 made a difference. 

Anyway, I watched 'Perry Mason' re-runs religiously.  I know the song in my head, who doesn't?  Small - and I'm talking small -  and highly dysfunctional Panasonic B & W TV in my bedroom with a bent broken antenna that you had to fuss with, a lot of snow if you even deigned to move, but that stupid TV got it done.