TV Series (Opinions, Recommendations, Flaming, etc) ***BEWARE POSSIBLE SPOILERS***

On 5/17/2017 at 11:42 PM, Lil Woody said:

Is anyone watching "American Gods"?

It's kind of slow building and there is a certain scene with 2 muslim guys that I wish I never saw, but it is a really interesting and different idea than anything I've ever seen done before. I'm hoping it gets better, fast.

Watching because I could watch Ian McShane read the phone book, but ...not entirely sure where it's going. Several intercut scenes that aren't really related to the narrative-the Indians, the salve ship, Jesus. Not sure if it's such a big story that will connect later or if  they had doubts about the narrative. 

• 3 weeks later...

I think the problem with this season of Fargo is that seasons 1 and 2 were just preposterously good. This season was excellent, but there is no way it lived up to the previous 2. For me, what made the first 2 seasons special, especially season 2, were all the quirky connections between the seasons and the movie. Season 3 only had that one little connection, and while it was cool it wasn't enough, not to mention that they made us wait like 6-7 episodes for it. I really hope they go back to some of the older threads in season 4. Maybe they weave Varga into things in some strange way too, who knows. But S3 wasn't strange enough and that's the thing that made Fargo probably the best non-GoT show up till this year.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

Anybody watching Marvel's "Iron Fist" on Netflix?  Caught first two episodes last night.  Thought it was very good.

hahahahaha - just wait.  It's probably one of the worst show netflix has ever produced. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Fishooked said:

Anyone ever watch the following on Netflix? Thoughts?

I was going to start watching Supernatural with my daughters....but holy ****. I had not realized....12 seasons of 22 episodes each? Holy sh*t man.

Also Black Mirror? 

Sense8?

I'm watching Lost with my 14 year old.   He LOVES it.

Almost done with Justified, just 2 episodes left.   Such a great show.   Really, the 2 main characters would have been perfect for the Dark Tower.

5 hours ago, chirorob said:

It starts good.

Then, it keeps going.   And gets not so good.

Watched episode three last night.  Still good.  Now, my whole family is waiting for the floor to fall out.  lol

Hey, maybe I dig the show because I have developed a crush on Jessica Henwick (the show's Colleen Wing).  

giphy.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, peebag said:

have to agree.  So sad.  Sure hope the "The Defenders" doesn't suck.

I was super excited for it but Iron Fist definitely worries me.  I mean, what a terrible character and actor choice.  So dumb.

That said, I still have high hopes for The Defenders. 

On 6/30/2017 at 1:24 PM, JiF said:

I was super excited for it but Iron Fist definitely worries me.  I mean, what a terrible character and actor choice.  So dumb.

That said, I still have high hopes for The Defenders. 

He was good on Game of Thrones playing a gay knight who had an affair with the king.  So, if you can play that, why can't you play a Kung Fu expert?

(Oh yeah, cause they have nothing in common and he can't act so good)

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

He was good on Game of Thrones playing a gay knight who had an affair with the king.  So, if you can play that, why can't you play a Kung Fu expert?

Watched the fourth episode and can see how it's rapidly losing steam.  Just kinda slow and stupid.  Not sure if we'll watch the rest.  Still love Ms. Wing though.

• Upvote 1

On 7/4/2017 at 10:53 AM, chirorob said:

Sometimes it's just a matter of fit, (see: Eric Stoltz in Back to the Future). If you watch some interviews with him I think it's because his real life personality matches up pretty well with Loras. Not a hard part for him to play when you just have to talk and act like yourself. He also is never really a central character in one season or episode, so there's not a ton to nitpick. Iron Fist, he is really something awful though. He might be good in other stuff but he was clearly a terrible choice for that part.

13 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Sometimes it's just a matter of fit, (see: Eric Stoltz in Back to the Future). If you watch some interviews with him I think it's because his real life personality matches up pretty well with Loras. Not a hard part for him to play when you just have to talk and act like yourself. He also is never really a central character in one season or episode, so there's not a ton to nitpick. Iron Fist, he is really something awful though. He might be good in other stuff but he was clearly a terrible choice for that part.

I'm gonna watch Castlevania on Netflix with the boy tomorrow.

And, I agree.   He was fine as Loras.   It's just Loras and Dany Rand are such different characters, it didn't work.

Just completed the Leftovers. It was confounding, but really enthralling at the same time. I want to say I loved it, but it really depends on which strain of interpretation I layer onto it... because it's one of those shows that you can take in any direction in what it means to you, like abstract art almost.

Also watched some of GLOW, which was fun - just haven't finished it. Allison Bree boobies are a plus.

• Upvote 2

On 7/4/2017 at 11:53 AM, chirorob said:

I never realize it was the Knight of Flowers actor. Sheesh... 

• Upvote 1

On 7/17/2017 at 0:44 PM, peebag said:

Is anyone watching Preacher?   It's outstanding!

I'm on it. Well actually I'm on Tulip. :wub: She makes the show for me.

Watching Ozark on Netflix. Is it great? Prolly not. But it's entertaining. Lottsa sordid sh!t goin' on.

Yeah, Ozark on Netflix. Not bad, not bad. Lotsa great stuff on here.  Misses the mark of being a great classic such as Breaking Bad, production and directing wise, it doesn't quite come together to make it a top show. But if Vince Gilligan had his hands on this it would've been.

I liked this more than anything I've seen on Amazon, and maybe NF too. Some good work on here, and several nice pieces on the soundtrack.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone ever watch Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency?  It is a BBC show that is on Hulu.  I remember enjoying the books, they are from Douglas Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Adams.  I just started it and thought - this guy doesn't look like Dirk Gently to me and it turns out that it is nerd Spiderman, the guy that rode Sarah Jessica Parker in Seabiscuit. Only part way through the first episode, so I don't have an opinion yet.

On 7/17/2017 at 0:44 PM, peebag said:

Is anyone watching Preacher?   It's outstanding!

I've watched most of the first season.  I like it, but it is strange.  I don't love it, but I like it and it certainly has its moments.  Could get me to love it, but hasn't yet.  Usually I love strange.  BTW, Tulip's car is not an SS, there were no 4-door Super Sports back then and Radial T/As suck.  

On 8/17/2017 at 1:24 PM, #27TheDominator said:

Anyone ever watch Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency?  It is a BBC show that is on Hulu.  I remember enjoying the books, they are from Douglas Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Adams.  I just started it and thought - this guy doesn't look like Dirk Gently to me and it turns out that it is nerd Spiderman, the guy that rode Sarah Jessica Parker in Seabiscuit. Only part way through the first episode, so I don't have an opinion yet.

Okay.  We are 4 episodes in and we like it.   It does kind of err on the side of being too cutesy going for laughs and Dirk Gently is probably the least likable character. I think he came off better in the books, but I think that is why they added the "assistant" character.  The holistic assassin is pretty good and I have an apology it wasn't Pleasantville, it was Frodo Baggins.  

On 8/24/2017 at 4:21 PM, JiF said:

I liked Ozark, a lot. 

I liked it enough to start watching it again for the second time. There's very few shows that I've thought worth watching more than once. The 1st episode was great, got turned onto a fantastic Radiohead song too, I had known nothing about Radiohead before that so that was an added bonus.