TV Series (Opinions, Recommendations, Flaming, etc) ***BEWARE POSSIBLE SPOILERS***

On 11/8/2017 at 8:00 PM, The Crimson King said:

BTW: Anyone watch The Deuce? 

A bit depressing but a wonderful depiction of the era and one of the best closing theme songs ever

I'm missing an episode or two, but I do watch the show. HBO did a awesome job with this. Really captures NYC at that time. 

• Upvote 1

On 11/7/2017 at 3:20 PM, The Crusher said:

Stranger things 2 is one of the most entertaining things I have seen. I love the story telling and the 80 s swag. So good 

It's soooo ******* good.  Every time I'm watching it I'm thinking, this is just incredible.  I'm completely memorized.  The score fits perfect and it enhances the suspense.  The songs choices and swag are brilliant.  There are no wasted scenes or meaningless character developments.  The acting is phenomenal.  I friggin love the kids.  11 blows me away how much she just kills the role. Using throw back 80's actor too, really helps create the nostalgia of the decade.  The scenes are shot beautifully.  

It's quickly becoming one of my favorites shows ever.

• Haha 1

*** spoilers ***

Punisher was solid. I expected them to bastardize canon. They worked with it loosely. Threading established and new characters into a solid arc.

The first half focuses on Frank and Micro andcreslly goes overboard in trying to establish why Frank would act in his behalf. Some good banter, some terrible. The worst acted scenes are all with Honekand agents Midani and Sam. Just terrible.

Theres no question they belabor a lot in early episodes, but the way they wrap up is strong, intense and as violent as The Punisher should be.

Everytging with Karen Paige is over -emo and boring. She’s a McGuffin in this one. Needed her to make Frank care about the ptsd kid. I’m torn on how I feel that they made a veteran one of the bad guys, especially after how much effort the put into the social commentary about vets and ptsd. Could have done without all the 2nd amendment commentary too. Mostly because it felt forced.

In general this was the best of the Marvel/Netflix collaborations, though there is certainly room for improvement and better direction. The mist interesting episode, re: direction, was the broken timeline for the senator assassination.

On 11/21/2017 at 7:42 PM, Integrity28 said:

*** spoilers ***

Punisher was solid. I expected them to bastardize canon. They worked with it loosely. Threading established and new characters into a solid arc.

The first half focuses on Frank and Micro andcreslly goes overboard in trying to establish why Frank would act in his behalf. Some good banter, some terrible. The worst acted scenes are all with Honekand agents Midani and Sam. Just terrible.

Theres no question they belabor a lot in early episodes, but the way they wrap up is strong, intense and as violent as The Punisher should be.

Everytging with Karen Paige is over -emo and boring. She’s a McGuffin in this one. Needed her to make Frank care about the ptsd kid. I’m torn on how I feel that they made a veteran one of the bad guys, especially after how much effort the put into the social commentary about vets and ptsd. Could have done without all the 2nd amendment commentary too. Mostly because it felt forced.

In general this was the best of the Marvel/Netflix collaborations, though there is certainly room for improvement and better direction. The mist interesting episode, re: direction, was the broken timeline for the senator assassination.

I liked it.  It was a good comeback from the Iron Fist/Defenders debacle. Great fight scenes.  It was as a bloody as anything I’ve seen in a while.  It got gnarly there at the end.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/23/2017 at 6:32 PM, southparkcpa said:

Anyone watch OZARKS????   I’m on episode 6 and really like it.  ITs not a 10...but very entertaing. 

Finished it a while back and it's good. It gets better as it goes on. 

Almost done with punisher and it's solid. Much better than iron fist (which isn't saying much)

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, JiF said:

As great as Stranger Things was, did anyone feel like it ended abruptly and kind of just a little disappointing overall?  Like the whole Max storyline was completely useless.  Zero value or surprise with her and her brother. 

Eh. I can see where you're coming from but I still loved it. I enjoyed it more then the first season actually. I agree with Max and Billy, especially Billy. He's just there to be a dick. I watched the first episode of "Beyond Stranger Things" and the directors said they wanted Billy in there to basically be a human antagonist, a super villain.  Max at least provides a little romance (unnecessary IMO though) to the boys and some friction between dustin and lucas. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/23/2017 at 6:32 PM, southparkcpa said:

Anyone watch OZARKS????   I’m on episode 6 and really like it.  ITs not a 10...but very entertaing. 

Just watched this over the past couple weeks. It's really good, really well done... and the final 3 or so episodes stand out because of excellent direction. It's got a good Breaking Bad vibe to it, but maybe with the quirky suspense of Fargo. 

I like it. Looking forward to the 2nd season. Very well acted all around.

• Upvote 2

Watched first two episodes of the new Black Mirror season last night.  I was totally unimpressed with the opening episode, a Star Trek-themed one called "USS Callister".  Not bad.  But just too long and did not have the trademark Black Mirror edgy "darkness".  At least not enough for me.

Second one, "Arkangel" was fantastic.  Full of the elements which make this series stand out.

6 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Watched first two episodes of the new Black Mirror season last night.  I was totally unimpressed with the opening episode, a Star Trek-themed one called "USS Callister".  Not bad.  But just too long and did not have the trademark Black Mirror edgy "darkness".  At least not enough for me.

Second one, "Arkangel" was fantastic.  Full of the elements which make this series stand out.

Agree on both. Fantastic writing, fantastic series. Metal head is great, hang the dj was very good, black museum very complex and worth the wait. 

Crocodile is shockingly good. Love it or hate it kind of but I loved it 

• Sympathy 1

On 12/30/2017 at 9:10 PM, Larz said:

Agree on both. Fantastic writing, fantastic series. Metal head is great, hang the dj was very good, black museum very complex and worth the wait. 

Crocodile is shockingly good. Love it or hate it kind of but I loved it 

For me, Black Mirror has become the level to which all TV should aspire.  "Hang the DJ" was really fun and romantic.  Very much like "San Junipero" last season.  "Crocodile" is an incredibly well written and acted piece. One of their all time best.  

As you say, "Black Museum" was well worth the wait.  Fantastic resolution ("Monkey love you"...awesome payback getting to watch Rolo's shocking ending) and tons of surprising twists and turns.  Like "White Christmas", many of the futuristic elements which gives Black Mirror its distictive edge.

• Upvote 1

The first season of The Punisher was good (the last 3-4 episodes made the whole show for me) but what I’m really excited for is Season 2.

Now we can get away from this whole “crooked CIA conspiracy” thing and get down to Frank ruthlessly murdering the sh*t out of criminals on the streets.

Steve Lightfoot (the showrunner) has already said that he wants to see Barracuda from the Punisher MAX series introduced. Terry Crews would be an awesome choice to portray him.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/16/2016 at 5:10 PM, Integrity28 said:

Started watching Peaky Blinders this week. It's a little reminiscent of the "one-mess-after-another that only the main character can fix" approach to Sons of Anarchy, but I enjoy it quite a bit more than that show. Need to watch it with volume turned up to about 70 (when 15-20 is normal) just to understand it.

Wife works with a bunch of Brits who have been wanting her to watch this series.  Finally got to it this weekend.  It is fantastic.  Agree that the track and sound design are incredible.

1 hour ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Anyone catch Godless and Mindhunters on Netflix? Finished both over the past few weekends. Really liked Godless but had a few issues with a certain sequence, and loved Mindhunters all the way through.

I watched Mindhunters.  Pretty good.  I remember reading the book by both of those guys years ago - well, the characters which they are based on anyway.  One was an insufferable prick that mentioned inventing profiling every third page.  The other informative and interesting.  Funny thing is, my memory is still not sure which one was which, but in the show the younger one (Ford based on Douglas) is obviously more insufferable prick than the older one (Tench based on Ressler).

Been watching Counterpart and Alienist.  Like them both, but Alienist is harder to follow just with the voices, timeframe stuff and background noise.  My wife wants to know why they all have British accents if it's NY.  She is not a big fan of watching broadcast shows because she can't binge. 

On 2/5/2018 at 1:19 PM, chirorob said:

I'm starting this one this weekend.   I really liked the book, I'm just waiting for the Missus to finish it (book).

Just finished the book last week.  Liked it.  Started the show this past weekend; watched the first two episodes.  There are some changes to the hotel AI (besides the obvious that I'm guessing they couldn't get the rights to the name 'Hendrix'), seemed to have fused/replaced Sarah from the prologue with Quell for some reason I don't understand yet.  Either way it's alright so far - they do not hold back on violence and sex.  We'll see how it goes. 

But my favorite show right now by far, as some others have brought up already in this thread, is this one:

51EpjAt9YIL.jpg

Takes a bit to get used to the accents.  And other than the time/setting, not the most original piece of fiction.  But goddam it's well written, well acted and fun.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

• 1 month later...