TV Series (Opinions, Recommendations, Flaming, etc) ***BEWARE POSSIBLE SPOILERS***

I've given Narco a few tries, can't get into it. I think it's the narration that bothers me. It feels like he's simply reading a Wikipedia page. Feels like one of those docudrama's with dramatized reenactments with a narrator, Something like The Men Who Built America (but not as interesting)

I have fallen asleep watching episode one a few times.  I never offered that as a critique because I have done that with some great shows.  I put them on around midnight or one and get up at six, so I guess it is no surprise.  Breaking Bad was the only one that consistently kept me awake.

FWIW, Hulu has the first season of Fargo.

2 episodes in.  My wife found out I was watching it and elected to "check it out on her own"  She finished the season before I got through episode 2.  She might have a problem.  For some reason the hulu has been hanging up when I try to cast it to the TV.  Probably ******* Comcast.  I will be in the new house on the 27th hopefully it will work better there.  Fios?  I can't imagine anything worse than Comcast.

• 2 weeks later...

Wrong guy to ask. I am not a fan of CrossFit. I'm a safety first at all times guy in the gym, and I don't think that compound movements are meant to be volume exercises like a lot of places unfortunately seem to teach. I think whatever gets people into shape or fitness is great, but there's a high risk of injury that they don't seem to care about which power lifters and bodybuilders have been screaming about for years. A lot of this probably has to do with the place you go or coach you use, but from what I have observed the industry has grown to such a degree that this is increasingly hard to find.

I'll also say this. I had a buddy drag me to a competition a year back and I have never seen such blatant steroid abuse in my life. Not even in bodybuilding. People were so open about it and it was fairly obvious that the reason none of these guys competed in real lifting competitions is because they test at those.

When it comes to building strength, I just don't think there will ever be a substitute for good form, chalk, a power rack, and lots of food.

Powerlifter?

Numbers or GTFO.

Just Kidding. Crossfit is already starting be be played out and like all fads will fade into Bolivia. I think pure strength training without the Crossfit Cult B.S. will be the next big thing. So much Powerlifting happening nowadays, as people want to actually use the functional strength aspects of CFX without the "Clean and Jerk 90 lbs with sh*t form for 20 minutes" garbage.

Fargo is damn good. There will not be a "True Detective like" Season 2 let down here. You watch Walking Dead and Homeland on Sunday night and you think to yourself well they weren't terrible, but then you watch Fargo Monday night and it's just head and shoulders superior, on a higher level. The attention to detail, the beautiful shots, the music, the performances, everything. Different class.

Edited by Tyler Durden

Fargo is damn good. There will not be a "True Detective like" Season 2 let down here. You watch Walking Dead and Homeland on Sunday night and you think to yourself well they weren't terrible, but then you watch Fargo Monday night and it's just head and shoulders superior, on a higher level. The attention to detail, the beautiful shots, the music, the performances, everything. Different class.

Introduced all the characters very easily, along with a big opening...situation. Even the last 3 minutes told us what's coming next. Know there were Gerhards in the first one (in the present) but don't remember who. We were reintroduced to Molly as a child and her dad as a cop. 

Edited by Bugg

Fargo premier was ******* tremendous, worth the wait. 

took some recommendations from this list 

Narcos is great - if you haven't seen "Cocaine Cowboys" watch that first - it really gives you an outline of the events and makes the series even more interesting.

Peaky Blinders - has "peaked" my interest - sorry for the pun - first episode was outstanding....

Show me a hero - loved "the wire" and "treme" - first episode I thought was kinda..ehh..

anyone see "an honourable woman" w/ maggie gyllenhaal?  Wife really wants to watch it...

• 1 month later...

Just finished Daredevil, probably the best series that I've seen since the first True Detective.  Granted I don't get to watch too much tv, but it was fantastic.  About to start Narcos tonight, what's everyone's opinion on that? I'd check previous pages, but afraid to see spoilers of other shows that I've yet to start. 

• Upvote 1

\

So I think it's fair to say Fargo deserves to be mentioned up with GoT and Breaking Bad. It's that good. And this season has been ******* brilliant. Nick Offerman with the performance of the decade this past week FTW.

^^  Truth.   Into the Badlands?  Yes.  Best pilot I have ever seen.  So sick, so fast so awesome.  Like someone poured gravy on a Crouching Tiger and a Hidden Dragon and let me eat them. 

Edited by The Crusher

So I think it's fair to say Fargo deserves to be mentioned up with GoT and Breaking Bad. It's that good. And this season has been ******* brilliant. Nick Offerman with the performance of the decade this past week FTW.

So I've been wanting to watch Fargo, but I haven't seen the first season or the movie that it's based off of. Do I watch the second season as a stand-alone, or do I somehow find a way to catch the other two first?

Saw the 1st 2 episodes of "The Man in High Castle" intriguing,

Saw the 1st episode of "Spotless" which still hadn't introduced the Boss, but appears promising.

The Mrs. likes "Blindspot" but it's too damn complicated. EVERYTHING IS CONSPIRACY. At some point who cares? 

Saw the 1st 2 episodes of "The Man in High Castle" intriguing,

Saw the 1st episode of "Spotless" which still hadn't introduced the Boss, but appears promising.

The Mrs. likes "Blindspot" but it's too damn complicated. EVERYTHING IS CONSPIRACY. At some point who cares? 

I like Blindspot.  Chick is hot pace is fast. 

So I've been wanting to watch Fargo, but I haven't seen the first season or the movie that it's based off of. Do I watch the second season as a stand-alone, or do I somehow find a way to catch the other two first?

I saw the movie and don't remember it too much.  I watched most of the first season on Hulu and got derailed moving.  Hulu has the first season and the movie.  I think that Rutgers said that it was available to purchase pretty cheap someplace else.  I have been watching the 2nd season and I would say there is no reason to put off watching it.  Catch up on demand and you are good to go.  There are a few items that you will miss, but it is more nerd stuff like, that money came from here, or that girl became this woman, etc.  Nothing essential to the plot and even if it is, the 2nd season is very enjoyable and excellent on its own. 

• Upvote 1

I would watch everything in order. Movie, season 1, season 2. You can view each on its own and understand the story just fine. But the beauty in Fargo are the loose ties that they create within the universe. It's a show of subtleties, and they really make all the difference. There are a bunch of little particulars in season 1 that connect to the movie so well, ditto for season 2 into season 1. Like I said, you can understand everything just fine no matter what order you view it in, but the references are shot and written from a linear aspect, so I think that's the best way to view them.

The film is such a classic and has held up remarkably well over time. Maybe the Coen's best. You're in for a treat.

• Upvote 4

I saw the movie and don't remember it too much.  I watched most of the first season on Hulu and got derailed moving.  Hulu has the first season and the movie.  I think that Rutgers said that it was available to purchase pretty cheap someplace else.  I have been watching the 2nd season and I would say there is no reason to put off watching it.  Catch up on demand and you are good to go.  There are a few items that you will miss, but it is more nerd stuff like, that money came from here, or that girl became this woman, etc.  Nothing essential to the plot and even if it is, the 2nd season is very enjoyable and excellent on its own. 

If you have a streaming device, download the FXNOW app. Every episode is up on there too.

The film is such a classic and has held up remarkably well over time. Maybe the Coen's best. You're in for a treat.

What is your opinion of Blood Simple?  I remember seeing that back when they were just becoming a thing and I think I remember it and Miller's Crossing better than all the one's I've seen repeatedly like Fargo and even Lebowski.  M. Emmet FTMFW!

What is your opinion of Blood Simple?  I remember seeing that back when they were just becoming a thing and I think I remember it and Miller's Crossing better than all the one's I've seen repeatedly like Fargo and even Lebowski.  M. Emmet FTMFW!

Miller's Crossing is another great one. Albert Finney and Gabriel Byrne have such a presence when they're on screen together, the whole thing is a masterpiece as far as I'm concerned.

Love Blood Simple too. It's hard to rank their stuff because they're all so great but so different. I wouldn't even know where to start if someone asked me to compare No Country to Barton Fink to Fargo to Oh Brother to Big Lebowski to A Serious Man to Llewyn Davis...etc. For me the Coens are more or less The Beatles, in the sense that whichever is your favorite work of theirs is going to come down mostly to personal taste. They're not like with Coppola or Ridley Scott, where you can narrow their stuff down to one or two movies and say that's definitely their best. Objectively speaking they've made about 7-8 films that are A+ levels of filmmaking.

As a fan I'd probably take Big Lebowski and A Serious Man. Maybe Fargo, I dunno. Like I said it's a tough one. 

To bring it full circle I think that's why I love Fargo the show so much. Though most of it is Hawley, it just feels like the Coens through and through in every episode. 

• Upvote 1

Miller's Crossing is another great one. Albert Finney and Gabriel Byrne have such a presence when they're on screen together, the whole thing is a masterpiece as far as I'm concerned.

Love Blood Simple too. It's hard to rank their stuff because they're all so great but so different. I wouldn't even know where to start if someone asked me to compare No Country to Barton Fink to Fargo to Oh Brother to Big Lebowski to A Serious Man to Llewyn Davis...etc. For me the Coens are more or less The Beatles, in the sense that whichever is your favorite work of theirs is going to come down mostly to personal taste. They're not like with Coppola or Ridley Scott, where you can narrow their stuff down to one or two movies and say that's definitely their best. Objectively speaking they've made about 7-8 films that are A+ levels of filmmaking.

As a fan I'd probably take Big Lebowski and A Serious Man. Maybe Fargo, I dunno. Like I said it's a tough one. 

To bring it full circle I think that's why I love Fargo the show so much. Though most of it is Hawley, it just feels like the Coens through and through in every episode. 

I didn't realize that MIller's Crossing was based on Red Harvest by Dashiell Hammet.  Trying to decide if I should read it again or watch it again first.  That was a great movie that doesn't seem to get much play. 

I think you are a little too worried about watching the Fargos in order.  You are just caught up in the nerd trivia.  It is cool to notice, but other than an understanding that it is the same "universe" there isn't much there and nothing to really detract from enjoying the show.  If you are not that fond of binge watching I would prefer to catch up and roll with season 2.  I don't like feeling I have to finish watching the series. FWIW, I like season 2 better than 1 so far.  . 

I didn't realize that MIller's Crossing was based on Red Harvest by Dashiell Hammet.  Trying to decide if I should read it again or watch it again first.  That was a great movie that doesn't seem to get much play. 

I think you are a little too worried about watching the Fargos in order.  You are just caught up in the nerd trivia.  It is cool to notice, but other than an understanding that it is the same "universe" there isn't much there and nothing to really detract from enjoying the show.  If you are not that fond of binge watching I would prefer to catch up and roll with season 2.  I don't like feeling I have to finish watching the series. FWIW, I like season 2 better than 1 so far.  . 

Oh me too. I think 2 is by far the superior season, which is nuts considering 1 has Lorne.