Jets Hope Carpenter Will Help Fix Chronic O-Line Issue

JetNation

james-carpenter

By Glenn Naughton

When New York Jets Pro-Bowl center Nick Mangold sat out the 2014 season finale against the Miami Dolphins, it marked just the third game he’s missed since being drafted in 2006.  His fellow lineman, left tackle D’Brickashaw Ferguson has been even better, starting all 144 contests the Jets have played since he was drafted 4th overall, 25 spots ahead of Mangold who was chosen 29th that very same year.

Through the years, the two have played with their fair share of left guards who have been either ineffective or showed up with one foot out the door. There have been some good (Pete Kendall, Alan Faneca), some average (Matt Slauson, Oday Aboushi) and some just downright terrible (Adrien Clarke, Vlad Ducasse).  Last year’s early season starter, Brian Winters has been alarmingly inconsistent, but the jury is still out on the young converted college tackle.

With the addition of high-priced free agent left guard James Carpenter (4 years, $ 19.1 million), the Jets are hoping to bring a battle-tested veteran to offer a dominant presence between Mangold and Ferguson as their careers wind down.  Winters and Aboushi manned the position in 2015 and while Aboushi was promising at times, he struggled in pass protection allowing 2 sacks, 5 QB hits and sixteen hurries in just 10 starts.

Winters, who suffered a season-ending injury in a week 6 loss to the Broncos wasn’t any better.  In fewer than six full games, he surrendered 1 sack, 3 QB hits and sixteen hurries.  After getting beat for 10 sacks, 6 QB hits and 15 hurries as a rookie in 2013, the Jets had hoped for improved play from Winters, but that wasn’t the case.

In all, the tandem of  Winters and Aboushi allowed 3 sacks, 8 hits and 32 quarterback hurries in 2014.  Carpenter meanwhile, allowed just 1 sack, 6 hits and 14 hurries with the Seahawks.  Carpenter’s numbers would be better as his quarterback in Seattle, Russell Wilson, has far more escapability than the Jets have in Geno Smith, and Wilson also tends to get rid of the ball quicker than Smith does.  Even with that being the case, going from 3 sacks/32 hurries to 1 sack/14 hurries is a move the Jets were wise to make to finally fix the leaky pass protection at LG.

A better pass blocker than run blocker, Carpenter has the potential to continue his development with the Jets but even sustaining the level of play he established with the Seahawks, would benefit Geno Smith and newcomer Ryan Firzpatrick in making sure they spend more time upright than in seasons past.

While the futures of Winters, Aboushi and countless others are yet to be determined among what has become a very crowded Jets offensive line, Ferguson and Mangold will be in their familiar roles with an unfamiliar face hoping to remind fans more of Pete Kendall and Alan Faneca, than Clarke and Ducasse.  Not only as a quick-fix, but as a long term answer to what has been an ongoing problem.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
HZ8jf-wp5GU

View the full article

I don't know people think our line is so bad.

This is not a good pass protecting OL. We couldn't block the bills last season now they have Rex with his creative blitzes. The dolphins signed Suh and we face the NFC east next year with guys like JPP and Greg Hardy.

Idzik neglected the secondary last season and it killed our season. Mac is neglecting the OL now.

OLB/pass rusher is an overrated need. OL is a very underrated need.

This is not a good pass protecting OL. We couldn't block the bills last season now they have Rex with his creative blitzes. The dolphins signed Suh and we face the NFC east next year with guys like JPP and Greg Hardy.

Idzik neglected the secondary last season and it killed our season. Mac is neglecting the OL now.

Good defenses like the Bills will give most Olines trouble. Especially if you have a young QB not getting rid of the ball or in Genos case last year going to his 1st read & getting picked off 3 times in 4 throws or whatever the hell it was.

Belichick took Braday out of their game in Gillette vs the Bills, one because they didn't need to win & most importantly because the Pats Oline couldn't block them.

Good defenses like the Bills will give most Olines trouble. Especially if you have a young QB not getting rid of the ball or in Genos case last year going to his 1st read & getting picked off 3 times in 4 throws or whatever the hell it was.

Belichick took Braday out of their game in Gillette vs the Bills, one because they didn't need to win & most importantly because the Pats Oline couldn't block them.

Makes me feel so much better man. Can I read this post when I'm watching the patriots play the giants in next year's Super Bowl again?

So who would you have liked us to sign? I know Iupati was basically the crown Jewel free agent guard who decided stay out west  and I think 6 is a little high for Schreff, especially if he will be a guard in the NFL. 

Of course this line practiced against Rex defenses and a pretty good O Line constantly.

O Line is the ugly draft pick but the biggest gem outside of a potential franchise QB.  

Cooper or a potential defensive stud is hard to pass at #6 though.  I think you can get quality lineman in the 2nd and 3rd round this year.

So who would you have liked us to sign? I know Iupati was basically the crown Jewel free agent guard who decided stay out west and I think 6 is a little high for Schreff, especially if he will be a guard in the NFL.

I'll take Scherff over another dud 1st round Olb or a glorified option qb at 6 any day of the week.

This OL is going to cost us the next season if it's left as is.

Keep hoping.

This OL is going to be such a disaster next year. We give insane deals to Cro and Harris and all we do help the OL is sign a JAG from Seattle for poco money.

No. Was Harris over payed a little, sure, but neither deal is insane or close to it. 

Also, not sure who you were thinking the Jets could have gotten in this FA class to help with the pass pro of this O-line... Iuputi(spelling?) was not the answer. 

Carpenter is a player whos best years are ahead of him. We also have a very talented young player in Dozier who is going into his second year.  I don't undertand the panic; While Brick is not the player he was a few years ago he is still a solid LT; we have the one of the best if not the best center in Football.  Granted I am not impressed with Breno at all but I know we are not done looking to upgrade the OLine whether by looking a veterans cut after the draft/training camp as well as through the draft.   There may be several solid OG and OT prospects in the second through 4th rounds.  In addition, we have some serious depth for a change that can step in for a game or two and maintain a decent level of play.  Not to mention we finally have a true Blocking TE for the first time in years. 

As was mentioned, a big key will be the qb; If Fitz is the starter he tends to get rid of the ball relatively quickly and avoid costly sacks.  Geno will need to show marked improvement in this area to have a chance at starting. 

The draft hasn't happened yet.

JI neglected everyone but the cap...

Isn't Andrus Peat visiting the team this week?  So how is Mac neglecting the OL???   He signed Carpenter, Hilliard, Brewer plus add blocking TE Kellen Davis.  Again how is he neglecting the OL?  Because he didn't sign who you thought he should?  Maybe they weren't interested in playing for the Jets and I am glad he didn't overpay for the Iupatis of the world.   Carpenter is a good young player; Hilliard is a quality back up who can start if necessary and Brewer adds veteran depth and it probably didn't cost much more as if we had signed Iupati alone.  I am sure Mac is going to continue to bolster the line; you really need to have a little patience.

I don't know that he is neglecting as much.  There were some really good corners to spend money on, less so for O Line. 

See how the draft plays out, maybe the take linemen in the 2nd and 3rd.   Or maybe not, and the line sucks.

Isn't Andrus Peat visiting the team this week?  So how is Mac neglecting the OL???   He signed Carpenter, Hilliard, Brewer plus add blocking TE Kellen Davis.  Again how is he neglecting the OL?  Because he didn't sign who you thought he should?  Maybe they weren't interested in playing for the Jets and I am glad he didn't overpay for the Iupatis of the world.   Carpenter is a good young player; Hilliard is a quality back up who can start if necessary and Brewer adds veteran depth and it probably didn't cost much more as if we had signed Iupati alone.  I am sure Mac is going to continue to bolster the line; you really need to have a little patience.

Very true.  Lupita was the best available and the Jets went after him but in the end he wanted to stay out west.  We will probably get a lineman in the draft to add to the mix. 

Hopefully this guy can provide some stability between Brick and Mangold. He can't be worse than Winters was. Aboushi seemed decent. Plus they're all young (Carpenter, Aboushi, Dozier, Winters) so maybe we see some progression from one or more.

Not to mention we still have the draft next month, I'm optimistic our line will be alright. It definitely won't be as bad as our secondary was last season, that's for sure.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

If we can trade back with the Saints or Browns, I'd like to go OL and RB/WR with the two 1st round picks.

OL is never the sexy pick but building up the lines is always a good move.  Interested to see how Carpenter performs.

Carpenter isn't solving anything, he's pretty average. I'd prefer letting Aboushi continue to develop at guard.

Wilson was running for his lunch on a lot of plays last year. Maybe Carpenter is better than Aboushi or Colon but that doesn't mean he's good.

OL is never the sexy pick but building up the lines is always a good move. Interested to see how Carpenter performs.

True, but look how good the Cowboys looked last year. They invested 3 first rounders into that offensive line and excelled as an entire team.

True, but look how good the Cowboys looked last year. They invested 3 first rounders into that offensive line and excelled as an entire team.

Or us? Back2back AFCG with 4 1st round picks on the OL and Vince from Entourage at qb.

But no, let's draft an option qb at 6 or an OLB who got 7 sacks last season but is supposed to be a pass rushing beast.

Exactly...Jets were Damn good w/ Brick, Faneca, Mangold, Moore and Woody.

And how many Super Bowls have we or the Cowboys won in the last 10 years?  Thats right ZERO.  You don't have to have a line full of number one picks.  You just have to draft and sign free agents wisely.  There are quality players to be found through out the draft, not just in the first round.  

And how many Super Bowls have we or the Cowboys won in the last 10 years? Thats right ZERO. You don't have to have a line full of number one picks. You just have to draft and sign free agents wisely. There are quality players to be found through out the draft, not just in the first round.

Yeah you're right all we need to do is draft the greatest qb of all-time in the later rounds. You cracked the code brutha!

Yeah you're right all we need to do is draft the greatest qb of all-time in the later rounds. You cracked the code brutha!

lol. So Eli has won two bowls with a so so line; you mentioned before that Seattles line wasn't that great so I don't get it.  We all know we need to improve the line but it is not like they haven't tried or won't continue to do so. 

lol. So Eli has won two bowls with a so so line; you mentioned before that Seattles line wasn't that great so I don't get it. We all know we need to improve the line but it is not like they haven't tried or won't continue to do so.

Omfg not the lame 2011 giant argument

Keep hoping.

This OL is going to be such a disaster next year. We give insane deals to Cro and Harris and all we do help the OL is sign a JAG from Seattle for poco money.

Which is why we should be trading down in the 1st round, stacking draft picks and getting our OT in the 1st round, and our G & C in the 3rd and 4th rounds. 

Omfg not the lame 2011 giant argument

I recall they won TWO Superbowls not to mention Seattles Superbowl winning team two years ago with our present RT and New OG, starting for them.... Keep it up, your argument looks sillier by the minute.  

Archived