New York Jets to host Amari Cooper, Andrus Peat this week

F.Chowds

The Jets hold the No. 6 overall pick in the draft and have needs all over the field. But in Cooper and Peat, strong candidates to fill two of them will see the Jets facility Thursday, according to Newsday's Kimberely A. Martin.

For the Jets to land Cooper, West Virginia wide receiver Kevin White would probably need to be the first receiver chosen in the draft. The Oakland Raiders are expected to address a dire need at the receiver position with the No. 4 overall pick, where it could have its choice between White and Cooper, who are regarded as the draft's top two at the position.

All six NFL Media analysts who have compiled mock drafts project Oakland to pick a receiver at No. 4, and four of the six believe it will be White, who ran a 4.35 40-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine last month. That would leave Cooper available to new Jets coach Todd Bowles, although the club could see fit to draft one of the draft's elite pass rushers in that spot and wait until later in the draft to select a receiver, considered the deepest position in the draft class.

As for Peat, NFL Media mock drafts project him anywhere from No. 9 to the New York Giants to No. 25 to the Carolina Panthers. Conceivably, the Jets could trade down from the No. 6 pick and select Peat at a cheaper price, and add one or more picks later in the draft.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cooper is nice. I do hope that the Jets trade down though. I hope they draft down twice. trade down to the early to mid 1st round then trade down again to the mid 20's and pick up some nice 2nd and third round picks. We may not be able to get Cooper but we could still get a solid WR early in the 2nd while still being able to pick up a solid OT in the first, while really loading up on talent in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Trade with the browns for their top 1st and 3rd rounders...possibly a 2nd rounder. Trade down again to the mid 20's for another teams 1st and 3rd rounder. 

I personally believe that this is a talented class. 

Cooper/Fowler at 6

Dead on....I wouldn't mind White either but I'd prefer Fowler first if Jax doesn't snag him.  From there, Cooper is a good option with little to no pressure since the Jets won't be asking him to be their top guy from day one.

Take the great prospect when you can. Get a player that has a good chance of being a stalwart for your team for ten years. Do not water your draft down with three maybes, when you have a probably.

There are a lot of great prospects, including wide receivers, in this draft.  Trading down 5 or 10 spots is not "watering down your draft" it is multiplying the number of quality prospects you can get.   Look at last years draft; Odell Beckham Jr. went 12, Sammie Watkins went 6th I believe.  Who would you rather have?   Don't get me wrong if we take Cooper I will fine with it but there is nothing wrong with moving down to garner more picks.     

There are a lot of great prospects, including wide receivers, in this draft.  Trading down 5 or 10 spots is not "watering down your draft" it is multiplying the number of quality prospects you can get.   Look at last years draft; Odell Beckham Jr. went 12, Sammie Watkins went 6th I believe.  Who would you rather have?   Don't get me wrong if we take Cooper I will fine with it but there is nothing wrong with moving down to garner more picks.     

Hey, shhhhhh. Don't give it away that there is great talent in this draft. The team we're trying to trade down with might be reading and you're going to blow the whole thing for us. As a matter of fact, go and edit your post, hurry. Erase everything you said. You know what, **** it, I'll just text Phil and he can take the site down until the draft is over.

For those who are against selecting Mariota if he is available at 6, when do you propose we make a move for a potential franchisel QB? We have a win-now team with no legitimate playoff caliber QB on the roster, yet many want to punt on a QB in this draft, or better yet select a much lower rated QB in the later rounds. Drafting a QB at 6 is always a risk, but not having a good one is a death sentence. If we wait unail next year to draft a QB, why would anyone believe that a better option than Mariota will be available at, our likely, later in the first round selection?

For those who are against selecting Mariota if he is available at 6, when do you propose we make a move for a potential franchisel QB? We have a win-now team with no legitimate playoff caliber QB on the roster, yet many want to punt on a QB in this draft, or better yet select a much lower rated QB in the later rounds. Drafting a QB at 6 is always a risk, but not having a good one is a death sentence. If we wait unail next year to draft a QB, why would anyone believe that a better option than Mariota will be available at, our likely, later in the first round selection?

Mariota is a potential franchise qb? When did that happen?

Waiting for the next Andrew Luck to come out or for the next third round Russel Wilson or sixth round Tom Brady. Or hopefully, Peyton Manning becomes a free agent again.

**** I want Cooper...badly! 

Peat is an interesting choice to bring in.  NO way they're targeting him at 6.  Or at least I hope not.  Maybe he's a target in a trade back scenario?  I cant imagine him falling to the 2nd round. 

It all comes down to your definition of a 'potential franchise QB'  If you take Mariota and he becomes blaine gabbert and you passed up on white who becomes julio jones or an olb who becomes aldon smith....

This is where the scouting comes in.  What are his odds of becoming a franchise guy?  If the front office thinks 'very good' then go for it.  If they think 'well maybe...if everything goes right' then you don't draft him.

I'm still convinced Mariota falls into the teens.

The top ten will go haywire if Dupree and White go in the top five, then the Jets and Bears picks become hot commodities for trade opportunities. I want to see if the Browns take another pass at Bradford, and I'm interested to see what happens with the OTs like Peat, Humphries, and Scherff. I find it hard to believe those guys fall out of the top 15.

With our new regime really having no history, we have no idea which direction they will go come draft day.  BPA?  immediate need?  Future Franchise QB?  Trade for quality picks?  Should be interesting and again I will say that I would be very surprised if I were not happy at the end of round 1. 

Yes.

Really?  When was the last time that program produced a single NFL player worth a sh*t?  Its like everyone out of that system is a full on bust.  Is he more dynamic than Tavon Austin? 

They all put up insane #'s and suck in the pros.  Mainly because they dont learn how to play WR properly.  Bailey, Austin, Devine, Henry, Slaton...the list goes on.  Pat White and Geno Smith...its pathetic.

He scares the sh*t out of me. 1 year wonder who blew the combine away.  

idk - I think he's got the biggest bust potential of all the WR's. 

All six NFL Media analysts who have compiled mock drafts project Oakland to pick a receiver at No. 4, and four of the six believe it will be White, who ran a 4.35 40-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine last month. That would leave Cooper available to new Jets coach Todd Bowles, although the club could see fit to draft one of the draft's elite pass rushers in that spot and wait until later in the draft to select a receiver, considered the deepest position in the draft class.

With Randy Gregory not a consideration at six, if Cooper is there I can see several teams - Cleveland escpecially - being interested. Jets could get the 12th pick and take Trae Waynes and have two selections in the second round. I doubt the Browns give the Jets 12 and 19 for the six, but they would give a second rounder. Cooper is not blazing fast and drops passes. He is not a game breaker. 

With Randy Gregory not a consideration at six, if Cooper is there I can see several teams - Cleveland escpecially - being interested. Jets could get the 12th pick and take Trae Waynes and have two selections in the second round. I doubt the Browns give the Jets 12 and 19 for the six, but they would give a second rounder. Cooper is not blazing fast and drops passes. He is not a game breaker. 

Maybe we give them our 1 and 3 for their two #1's. Maybe?

I am a Kevin White fan. He ran a full tree at West Virginia, has good game speed in addition to his straight line speed, he has good technique running routes and does a good job with coverage recognition.

And he didn't just kill the 40 he also killed the bench too.

Archived