Jets to remain in Florham Park

DaBallhawk

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it can be fan friendly though. They have to add bleachers. There is a huge open area right next to the main field that they work on. Bleachers would make things much better.

This does sound like an easy enough thing to fix.  Has anyone brought this to the Jets attention though?  Maybe a tweet to the beat writers may help too.

I think it can be fan friendly though. They have to add bleachers. There is a huge open area right next to the main field that they work on. Bleachers would make things much better.

Doesn't SAR I know someone in the front office maybe he can make mention of this issue we are all concerned about. 

Florham Park seems like it was the plan all along. Then Rex said he wanted to go away for camp.

I know people want it in Long Island. But doing camp at home will actually be a selling point for the players in future years. And bigger crowds should mean the practices are filled with energy.

Thats exactly what happened. They built the facility with plans of holding camp there each year, though I dont think they ever considered some of the logistics of having so many people there. I know when I went by there in 2011 it was just a mass of people standing at fences if they wanted to watch practice.

Rex hated the idea when he got the job because he felt the team needed to get away and bond on a campus not having veterans go home at night and guys stay in hotels or apartments in the area. I still believe had the Jets done better in 2011 rex would have changed his tune and they would have done this a few years ago. With the limited practices in the new CBA its pretty pointless to travel at this point anyway.

And yea for the guys with families its definitely a selling point, plus the facility is still state of the art compared to others. You are not getting that in Cortland or anywhere else. 

This is the best decision the Jets have made in years. It's easy to get to. I have been there to see training camp in past seasons. It's a state of the art facility. The Jets are technically NJ's team because are now going to hold training camp, practice during the season and play in a stadium all located in the garden state. I'm surprised the name hasn't been changed to NJ yet for both Jets & Giants. I guess they get more revenue through using NY. It would make geographic sense if both teams changed to NJ Jets and Giants. Maybe someday that will happen.

Both Giants and Jets do infact train in NJ now which should hopefully convince them to make them NJ named teams.

Sarcasm I hope, no way you can be surprised they are using NY instead of NJ. And who cares. North Jersey is a NYC suburb. We're far closer than the 49ers are to SF or the Skins to D.C. Lame and dated argument.

Florham Park seems like it was the plan all along. Then Rex said he wanted to go away for camp.

I know people want it in Long Island. But doing camp at home will actually be a selling point for the players in future years. And bigger crowds should mean the practices are filled with energy.

Well if that was the plan they never thought about the fans. Hopefully they will do something over the next year to accommodate the fans.  The improvements will pay for them selves. Last year the Pats averaged over 12,000 fans per day.  Kraft probably sells $10 of water to everybody there. The bleachers up here hold about 8.000 and 4,000 sit o a hill

I've attended nearly every open practice and events there. The main practice fields are elevated on a berm. There is a very small bleacher there now and about six feet of space between the drop and the fence. Most of the perimeter to the fields can only accommodate about two or three deep.

They will need to elevate the surrounding areas to those fields and widen them to avoid people falling down the hill. It was not designed for thousands of fans to view. The open practices that they have had to date have been uncomfortable for the fans who were not there early enough to line up along the fence.

The entire area immediately around the practice fields needs to be changed. It was impossible for young kids to see anything unless they were right on the fence. Last year they roped off a small patch for children only, which was very much appreciated. To make it suitable, much work needs to be done. Parking not an issue.

Yes...after looking at the picture of the fields and thinking about it some more, my money is now on....practice field # 1 becomes bleachers.

That makes the most sense. You can put bleachers there without having to do a huge engineering project to the road or anything major.  This would let the Jets test out camp in Florham Park in year one under Bowles. Then they can figure out what they want to do long term.

i'm not sure if the players actually stay on premesis at night at Florham Park.  Do they have dorms or something?

No dorms in the training facility right now.  Was mentioned earlier, they could either stay across the street at FDU or at Drew.  They seem to have a good working relationship with FDU, the players use that field often during the offseason when they aren't allowed to be at the facility.

Not sure how they will handle the sleeping over thing though.

This does sound like an easy enough thing to fix.  Has anyone brought this to the Jets attention though?  Maybe a tweet to the beat writers may help too.

I have mentioned it to them. Plus they read the posts here. So they know.  :)

Thats exactly what happened. They built the facility with plans of holding camp there each year, though I dont think they ever considered some of the logistics of having so many people there. I know when I went by there in 2011 it was just a mass of people standing at fences if they wanted to watch practice.

Rex hated the idea when he got the job because he felt the team needed to get away and bond on a campus not having veterans go home at night and guys stay in hotels or apartments in the area. I still believe had the Jets done better in 2011 rex would have changed his tune and they would have done this a few years ago. With the limited practices in the new CBA its pretty pointless to travel at this point anyway.

And yea for the guys with families its definitely a selling point, plus the facility is still state of the art compared to others. You are not getting that in Cortland or anywhere else

I think that is the biggest selling point. Totally agree.

Duh, usually teams stay at the facility until training camp breaks and I dont know of any sleeping facilities on site.

Since the Jets move to Florham Park, there have been three new facilities built nearby that will hold housing for them during training camp sessions, Including high end hotels.

Since no one on this board lives in the Florham Park/Morristown area, they really have no idea what really goes on there off Route 24.

read several responses about bleachers you do realize there are temporary ones that can be rented. As far as locating them it will take some creative configuring of the practice fields, but nothing that is impossible to do. As far as lights they are also available in a temporary form.

Just change the name to the New Jersey Jets and get it over with.

OK, but right after the Giants change their name to NJ Giants.

Spend millions on a training facility.  Hold camp 100's miles away.  Yup.  That makes sense. 

Since the Jets move to Florham Park, there have been three new facilities built nearby that will hold housing for them during training camp sessions, Including high end hotels.

Since no one on this board lives in the Florham Park/Morristown area, they really have no idea what really goes on there off Route 24.

Nobody on this board lives in Florham Park or Morristown? That is a pretty big statement. I think we had 12,000 visitors yesterday, 1 or 2 of them might have been from that area lol.

Hey I think they should spend a few days out at Stony Brook or Farmingdale.  But to move all of camp away from your facility, the one with all your resources for the players is just foolish.  Look, I grew up on LI... so I get it.  I know LI has had a hard time getting over the butt-hurt of the full move to NJ. I empathize.   But logically, it is better for the players to have their best resources which happen to be in their home facility.

Nobody on this board lives in Florham Park or Morristown? That is a pretty big statement. I think we had 12,000 visitors yesterday, 1 or 2 of them might have been from that area lol.

I work in the area.  About a mile away.  I live a little further out west of there.

Well if that was the plan they never thought about the fans. Hopefully they will do something over the next year to accommodate the fans.  The improvements will pay for them selves. Last year the Pats averaged over 12,000 fans per day.  Kraft probably sells $10 of water to everybody there. The bleachers up here hold about 8.000 and 4,000 sit o a hill

Woody sells it for $5 at Jets camp 

pop

BringBackEd failed? I was not aware that I missed the home opener where Ed was not leading the cheer... Did we at least win the game?

Ed indicated in a CBS article on the "bring back fireman Ed" campain that he would not return as the chanter for the Jets.

That article was written a little over a week ago.

Everyone has to remember that he's on disability for his back due to injuries sustained while working for the FDNY in Staten Island.

besides, this is not a place to talk about that issue, there is already a post on this.

Now that Bring Back Ed has failed I'm sure the Fire Idzik guys and He Who Is Not To Be Touched will be all over this.

SAR I

Never understood why one fan got so much publicity n importance. The same guy that quit on the team he's supposidly a diehard fan of. I care about Ed as much I do about any other Jet fan n more about those that stuck to the team after all these miserable times. The moment Ed got a little bit of fame, he decided to become a controversial figure n even a distract for the Jets management.

Ed indicated in a CBS article on the "bring back fireman Ed" campain that he would not return as the chanter for the Jets.

That article was written a little over a week ago.

Everyone has to remember that he's on disability for his back due to injuries sustained while working for the FDNY in Staten Island.

besides, this is not a place to talk about that issue, there is already a post on this.

He actually did not say that... I set up that interview so I am very aware of it... He said he is 55 years old and is not going to come back for the long term - but he would be willing to do whatever is necessary to help fix the chant in the short term. If you listened to the interviews he has done on JetNationRadio or any of the other podcasts, that is exactly what he has been saying all along. The CBS interview didn't have anything new in it - it just had a misleading headline.

Never understood why one fan got so much publicity n importance. The same guy that quit on the team he's supposidly a diehard fan of. I care about Ed as much I do about any other Jet fan n more about those that stuck to the team after all these miserable times. The moment Ed got a little bit of fame, he decided to become a controversial figure n even a distract for the Jets management.

So much wrong with this entire post that I don't even know where to begin.

Archived