Trade Up For Jameis?

TuscanyTile2

This topic hasn't been brought up much.  We already have the 6th pick so if Mccags believes Jameis is the real deal then it probably won't cost us nearly as much as it would other teams.  A franchise QB is everything in the NFL so if Jameis is one then I'd be okay w/ aggressively going after him.  I doubt it will happen because there's the attitude of "why trade up when we're already picking #6" but for a franchise QB I think it's something to be considered.  I'm guessing it would take our #1 this year and next year to get it done (though I could be way off).  I don't watch much college football so I'm not saying it's either a good idea or a bad idea.  Just that if Maccags is a believer in the guy then I'd be all for it.  Again, a franchise QB is the hardest and most important piece of any team in today's NFL.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This topic hasn't been brought up much.  We already have the 6th pick so if Mccags believes Jameis is the real deal then it probably won't cost us nearly as much as it would other teams.  A franchise QB is everything in the NFL so if Jameis is one then I'd be okay w/ aggressively going after him.  I doubt it will happen because there's the attitude of "why trade up when we're already picking #6" but for a franchise QB I think it's something to be considered.  I'm guessing it would take our #1 this year and next year to get it done (though I could be way off).  I don't watch much college football so I'm not saying it's either a good idea or a bad idea.  Just that if Maccags is a believer in the guy then I'd be all for it.  Again, a franchise QB is the hardest and most important piece of any team in today's NFL.

To get to 1 ?

Probably your entire draft

Not interested especially with Winston.

I'm secretly hoping they do that. Draft picks are overvalued in my opinion and a legit QB is the one thing we seem to never be able to get. How many 1st rd flops have we picked? Chan Gailey is a real OC and can create a system for him to succeed. If we had a blue chip QB it would make everything.  I think he will be a good QB and better than Mariota over all.  I would love to have him.

This topic hasn't been brought up much. We already have the 6th pick so if Mccags believes Jameis is the real deal then it probably won't cost us nearly as much as it would other teams. A franchise QB is everything in the NFL so if Jameis is one then I'd be okay w/ aggressively going after him. I doubt it will happen because there's the attitude of "why trade up when we're already picking #6" but for a franchise QB I think it's something to be considered. I'm guessing it would take our #1 this year and next year to get it done (though I could be way off). I don't watch much college football so I'm not saying it's either a good idea or a bad idea. Just that if Maccags is a believer in the guy then I'd be all for it. Again, a franchise QB is the hardest and most important piece of any team in today's NFL.

I agree. I don't watch much college football either, so I'm not saying it's a good idea myself (because I also don't know enough about either him or Mariotta) just saying if Mac believes Winston is a franchise QB I'm all for trading up and getting our long term QB.

A franchise QB totally changes the make up of this team and it's ability to compete, even this year as rookie QB. I believe we would be legitimate Super Bowl contenders with a franchise caliber QB even in his rookie season due to our defense and weapons on the offensive side of the ball taking pressure off the signal caller. Now I don't know if Winston is that guy or not, but if Mac does than let's move up and make this happen!!!!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Ideally, the Titans pass and the Jets trade up to #3 or #4 and take Mariota to make sure.

The Jets will not have an opportunity to take a shot at a franchise QB if they start going 8-8 again..like the current roster dictates. Franchise QBs are early-mid 1st round picks.

And for anyone that wants to argue the exceptions in lieu of the rule like Brady or Montana, i encourage you to read the following article before bothering.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2014/nfl-draft-round-round-quarterback-data

Ideally, the Titans pass and the Jets trade up to #3 or #4 and take Mariota to make sure.

The Jets will not have an opportunity to take a shot at a franchise QB if they start going 8-8 again..like the current roster dictates. Franchise QBs are early-mid 1st round picks.

And for anyone that wants to argue the exceptions in lieu of the rule like Brady or Montana, i encourage you to read the following article before bothering.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2014/nfl-draft-round-round-quarterback-data

I understand that the 6th round #s are inflated because of Brady. But the 1st and 2nd rounders have EXACTLY the same winning % with an extremely mediocre # of .516.

Not really wowed by these numbers. Just kind of supports my theory that you don't go all Hershel Walker/ Ricky Williams trade for ONE guy. When has that ever worked out BTW? Last time a team did this it was the Skins for RGIII. What a nightmare of a trade that's become.

I understand that the 6th round #s are inflated because of Brady. But the 1st and 2nd rounders have EXACTLY the same winning % with an extremely mediocre # of .516.

Not really wowed by these numbers. Just kind of supports my theory that you don't go all Hershel Walker/ Ricky Williams trade for ONE guy. When has that ever worked out BTW? Last time a team did this it was the Skins for RGIII. What a nightmare of a trade that's become.

Point taken. My rebuttal?

Ken O'Brien and Mark Sanchez OR Browning Nagle and Kellen Clemens?

This team will never win a Super Bowl with QB mediocrity or downright trash. Have to keep trying when the opportunity is there.

Point taken. My rebuttal?

Ken O'Brien and Mark Sanchez OR Browning Nagle and Kellen Clemens?

This team will never win a Super Bowl with QB mediocrity or downright trash. Have to keep trying when the opportunity is there.

That's fair. I just wish teams would actually develop QBs nowadays. I just don't think you go with 'maybe' (which I think Winston and MM both are) with the #6 pick.

True, I can't think of an example where it has worked out.....but I guess it is because it hasn't been for the right guy. If RG3 continued to build off his first year and stayed healthy then IMO that trade would of been worth it.

So to me the problem isn't giving up a lot to move up, it's giving up a lot to move up for the wrong guy. Now whether Winston or Mariotta are the right guys I have no clue, that's Mac's decision.

Bucs aren't trading Winston. he's the only good qb in this draft. Glennon is a more realistic option.

Glennon is their back up QB. He's not going anywhere. Especially in case Winston isn't ready to be thrown to the fire in year 1.

Glennon is their back up QB. He's not going anywhere. Especially in case Winston isn't ready to be thrown to the fire in year 1.

I bet they'd be willing to trade Glennon for a 3rd? Maybe a 3rd and a 6th? And then just sign a vet to backup Winston since he would be the future of the franchise and they could get some value in return for a guy who is not in their future. Only issue with this is I'm not sure who is out there to sign to be a backup (Vick?)....but I'm sure they could find someone. Plus isn't Winston experienced in a Pro Style offense?

I think Winston is going to be a pretty good player, but he's not the Andrew Luck type.

We need depth. Trading up will cost us our entire draft and then some.

What the hell is depth without a QB? Most likely an 8-8 team.

Now for my general statement (not direct at you Ghost).

Trade up! Why the hell shouldn't we. If we have to give up a 2016 pick then do so. Our team at worse will be 7-9 next year although I expect bigger things. Next years pick with Geno sucking will still draft around 16-20. So I would be perfectly fine if the asking price is an 2015 1st (6th overall) and 2nd along with a 2016 (16-20 overall) for the number one pick.

I am soooooo relieved Winston is supposed to be gone by the time we pick.

I wouldn't draft him at #6 if he fell.

I am surprised just how "off" I am compared to all the scouts who say he is consensus the #1 pick. I see his talent but this guy's personality and emotional makeup is simply awful.

Even watching his proday today, he's arrogant in a bad way, in a "you can't tell me anything" Vince Young kinda way.  He over compensates trying to show he's such a good guy by coming out early to cheer on his team mates because he has to do that kind of bush league campaigning because he's sullied his name so much.

He's too country and immature to be the face of a franchise.   That's fine if you're a wideout like Dez Bryant but not as your QB, not as a #1 overall pick.

BTW- he also throws a sh*t ton of INT's to linebackers.

All this trade stuff got us Doug Jolley smart guy so yeah

The failure to trade up to #2 in 2008 is the reason we ended up with Gholston and Sanchez instead of Matt Ryan and our 2009 2nd round pick (and whatever player the extra millions in cap space would have brought).

Checkmate. 

I bet they'd be willing to trade Glennon for a 3rd? Maybe a 3rd and a 6th? And then just sign a vet to backup Winston since he would be the future of the franchise and they could get some value in return for a guy who is not in their future. Only issue with this is I'm not sure who is out there to sign to be a backup (Vick?)....but I'm sure they could find someone. Plus isn't Winston experienced in a Pro Style offense?

Ooooo man I'd be a real special type of pissed off if we traded a 3rd (god forbid a 3rd AND a 6th) for Mike Glennon. Like, I'm talking "must-see TV" type of pissed off.

There is not one player ever that is a sure thing coming out of college. All I hear is scared jets fans like usual. The next Joe Montana could be sitting there in Mariotta and we are in position to take him. I don't care about some sure thing OLB alla sure thing Vernon gholston. I take the possible franchise qb every time in that position. Don't know when we will have a chance again.

Archived