Trade Up For Jameis?

TuscanyTile2

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This topic hasn't been brought up much.  We already have the 6th pick so if Mccags believes Jameis is the real deal then it probably won't cost us nearly as much as it would other teams.  A franchise QB is everything in the NFL so if Jameis is one then I'd be okay w/ aggressively going after him.  I doubt it will happen because there's the attitude of "why trade up when we're already picking #6" but for a franchise QB I think it's something to be considered.  I'm guessing it would take our #1 this year and next year to get it done (though I could be way off).  I don't watch much college football so I'm not saying it's either a good idea or a bad idea.  Just that if Maccags is a believer in the guy then I'd be all for it.  Again, a franchise QB is the hardest and most important piece of any team in today's NFL.

Why trade up and give the Bucs a bunch of picks for a possible franchise QB when we can trade down, gather some picks then trade a third rounder to the Bucs and get what would be the best QB in Jets history in Mike Glennon? 

Why trade up and give the Bucs a bunch of picks for a possible franchise QB when we can trade down, gather some picks then trade a third rounder to the Bucs and get what would be the best QB in Jets history in Mike Glennon? 

I'd much rather just take the immediate impact player at #6  (Cooper/White/OLB) but yeah I'd be pretty damn happy with Glennon for a 3rd.  

What the hell is depth without a QB? Most likely an 8-8 team.

Now for my general statement (not direct at you Ghost).

Trade up! Why the hell shouldn't we. If we have to give up a 2016 pick then do so. Our team at worse will be 7-9 next year although I expect bigger things. Next years pick with Geno sucking will still draft around 16-20. So I would be perfectly fine if the asking price is an 2015 1st (6th overall) and 2nd along with a 2016 (16-20 overall) for the number one pick.

This is right....

You NEED a QB to win in the league - there's simply no way around that.  If you find a QB you have a decade to build a team around him.....

If the GM believe's (and that's a big if) that Winston has legitimate franchise potential - then you absolutely give up your entire draft if you have to...

I am soooooo relieved Winston is supposed to be gone by the time we pick.

I wouldn't draft him at #6 if he fell.

I am surprised just how "off" I am compared to all the scouts who say he is consensus the #1 pick. I see his talent but this guy's personality and emotional makeup is simply awful.

Even watching his proday today, he's arrogant in a bad way, in a "you can't tell me anything" Vince Young kinda way. He over compensates trying to show he's such a good guy by coming out early to cheer on his team mates because he has to do that kind of bush league campaigning because he's sullied his name so much.

He's too country and immature to be the face of a franchise. That's fine if you're a wideout like Dez Bryant but not as your QB, not as a #1 overall pick.

BTW- he also throws a sh*t ton of INT's to linebackers.

Agreed 100%. A, I don't even think he's that good and B, he's the ultimate douche. JMO.

He is the only QB I want in this draft defintely in the first round. So if we have to trade up to get him let's do it. I think he has matured and he had a pretty decent pro day and quite frankly I like the way the kid handles himself with the media.  Sharp confident.  Yes trade up!!!

I'd much rather just take the immediate impact player at #6  (Cooper/White/OLB) but yeah I'd be pretty damn happy with Glennon for a 3rd.  

Im sorry, but Cooper or White at #6 wouldnt be impact players. They'd be #3 or #4 or the depth chart from jump. For all that take a Tackle like a Ja'el Collins if you're looking for someone to immediately make a difference on the team at a position of need. Giaccomini would be pushed into RG and there you have it. 

This trade would cost -at a bare minimum- the Jets' first and second this year, and their first next year. I just don't see a GM who comes from the college scouting side of things giving up that much for a prospect with as many red flags as Winston has. They already don't have a fifth or sixth rounder this year. This is a guy, you'd assume, who wants to build a team thru the draft. All of his free agents have outs after two years, and I'm sure he'd like to be able to move young, drafted talent into those positions on that time.

But I f Mariota is there at #6, that might happen.

I think Winston is going to be a pretty good player, but he's not the Andrew Luck type.

We need depth. Trading up will cost us our entire draft and then some.

Agree that he is no Luck, but he may be comparable to a Rothlisberger, which I would be very happy with.  But too much of a gamble to trade what we would have to trade to get him, IMHO.

Every time we trade up the player sucks, no thanks.

Disclaimer: No way in hell do I want to see a trade up that early.  Especially for Winston, whom I don't trust can stay out of trouble.

But "every time"?  A bit if an exaggeration, I think.  Just looking at some of the recent draft day trade ups by the Jets: Mark Sanchez and Shonn Greene sucked.  But Darelle Revis and David Harris were excellent trade ups.

Winston looks like an INT machine. Thats not a good sign.

I like his ability to keep coming at ya, though. He didnt seem to get rattled by all those INTs.

Pick a QB 199th and see what happens. We go with Harvard-draft pick-then Geno as our depth. Which will suffice until we get rid of Geno. God willing, we get rid of Geno.

Disclaimer: No way in hell do I want to see a trade up that early.  Especially for Winston, whom I don't trust can stay out of trouble.

But "every time"?  A bit if an exaggeration, I think.  Just looking at some of the recent draft day trade ups by the Jets: Mark Sanchez and Shonn Greene sucked.  But Darelle Revis and David Harris were excellent trade ups.

Sorry, I forgot we traded up for Revis. I was thinking more of Dwayne Roberston, wasn't that a trade up. I thought we also traded up for Hill and Keller. 

This topic hasn't been brought up much.  We already have the 6th pick so if Mccags believes Jameis is the real deal then it probably won't cost us nearly as much as it would other teams.  A franchise QB is everything in the NFL so if Jameis is one then I'd be okay w/ aggressively going after him.  I doubt it will happen because there's the attitude of "why trade up when we're already picking #6" but for a franchise QB I think it's something to be considered.  I'm guessing it would take our #1 this year and next year to get it done (though I could be way off).  I don't watch much college football so I'm not saying it's either a good idea or a bad idea.  Just that if Maccags is a believer in the guy then I'd be all for it.  Again, a franchise QB is the hardest and most important piece of any team in today's NFL.

Tampa would want a LOT more than that. They would probably want two number ones and two number two's and probably a player. I am not sure Winston is that much of a can't miss prospect to do that. I would take my chances on Mariota or Bryce Petty. I don't like Brett Hundley though, but Garrett Grayson is moving up some 'experts' draft boards though.

Sorry, I forgot we traded up for Revis. I was thinking more of Dwayne Roberston, wasn't that a trade up. I thought we also traded up for Hill and Keller. 

Tanny did. Bradway and Parcells made the Robertson deal which is why I would NEVER touch a Kentucky football player in the first round. I have never heard of one excelling in the NFL.

The Jets can draft WR until they are blue in the face but without a franchise QB it don't mean crap. 

I disagree to an extent. Better players around a mediocre QB makes him better than mediocre - but not great. I don't think Fitzy or Geno can get the Jets to the SB with Dez Bryant and Demaryus Thomas at WR and DeMarco Murray at RB. Cooper would enable Fitzpatrick and Smith to put up decent numbers, but both are what they have shown themselves to be and that is turnover prone QB's who do not stand up to the rush and make poor decisions under pressure.

Already getting that homesick vibe from Mariotta. He'd be a mess in NY...

Agreed. The Ny media hates the jets what do you think is going to happen when Mariota throws 4 picks and 0 tds. He's used to getting his ass kissed throwing screen passes in Eugene.

Winston has great potential but he is immature off the field. I think Tampa genuinely wants to take him with the number one pick and if we wanted to pry the pick off their hands it would cost our whole draft this year, our whole draft next year and possibly a decent player to boot. Yes we need a QB but we can win a Superbowl with a Qb who is eh, it's much harder to win a Superbowl with a QB who is good and a team that is eh.

Cleveland Browns Rumors: Johnny Manziel Traded for Mike Glennon, Kirk Cousins if Marcus Mariota Not Drafted? Philip Rivers, Sam Bradford, Nick Foles Options for Josh McCown

•  
  •  
  •  

Mar 30, 2015 08:51 AM EDT
johnny-manziel.jpg?w=640
Cleveland Browns quarterback Johnny Manziel prepares to throw a pass during team practice in 2014."

The Cleveland Browns need a franchise quarterback and right now that is neither Johnny Manziel nor Josh McCown. The Browns remain hopeful their investment on Manziel pays off somehow, but right now he is not the quarterback to lead the franchise in to the future. McCown is merely a short-term fix after he was signed following a struggling season with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. As the Browns mull a quarterback in the draft, could there be other options?

According to the Cleveland Plain Dealer, general manager Ray Farmer is considering Marcus Mariota in the first round of the draft. He has told the media he will not shy away from drafting a quarterback if he feels that player is capable of helping win games for the Browns. That would require the Browns to trade up, something some believe they are not keen on doing. The Browns have two first-round draft picks in the middle of the round, but a trade up would likely require them to jump to No. 2 and Cleveland might not be ready to do that.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reports that the Browns were interested in the trade for Sam Bradford and could eye another quarterback trade that might not cost as much. Rapoport writes that the Browns were also one of the teams that took interest in Mike Glennon during the NFL scouting combine and as the Tampa Bay Buccaneers shop him once again, the Browns might favor the quarterback. Glennon is no guarantee. The quarterback has not exactly stood out in his short time as a starting quarterback, but might be an option to develop.

Kirk Cousins is also emerging once again. The Washington Redskins are continuing to eye Mariota in the draft and could look to deal one of their three quarterbacks in the rotation at this point. CSN Washington reports that the Redskins would deal Cousins at the right price, but so far no teams have made any offers considering how much he struggled last season.

Cleveland Browns Rumors: Johnny Manziel Traded for Mike Glennon, Kirk Cousins if Marcus Mariota Not Drafted? Philip Rivers, Sam Bradford, Nick Foles Options for Josh McCown

•  
  •  
  •  

Mar 30, 2015 08:51 AM EDT
johnny-manziel.jpg?w=640
Cleveland Browns quarterback Johnny Manziel prepares to throw a pass during team practice in 2014."

The Cleveland Browns need a franchise quarterback and right now that is neither Johnny Manziel nor Josh McCown. The Browns remain hopeful their investment on Manziel pays off somehow, but right now he is not the quarterback to lead the franchise in to the future. McCown is merely a short-term fix after he was signed following a struggling season with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. As the Browns mull a quarterback in the draft, could there be other options?

According to the Cleveland Plain Dealer, general manager Ray Farmer is considering Marcus Mariota in the first round of the draft. He has told the media he will not shy away from drafting a quarterback if he feels that player is capable of helping win games for the Browns. That would require the Browns to trade up, something some believe they are not keen on doing. The Browns have two first-round draft picks in the middle of the round, but a trade up would likely require them to jump to No. 2 and Cleveland might not be ready to do that.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reports that the Browns were interested in the trade for Sam Bradford and could eye another quarterback trade that might not cost as much. Rapoport writes that the Browns were also one of the teams that took interest in Mike Glennon during the NFL scouting combine and as the Tampa Bay Buccaneers shop him once again, the Browns might favor the quarterback. Glennon is no guarantee. The quarterback has not exactly stood out in his short time as a starting quarterback, but might be an option to develop.

Kirk Cousins is also emerging once again. The Washington Redskins are continuing to eye Mariota in the draft and could look to deal one of their three quarterbacks in the rotation at this point. CSN Washington reports that the Redskins would deal Cousins at the right price, but so far no teams have made any offers considering how much he struggled last season.

i didnt understand the highlighted part. 

Tanny did. Bradway and Parcells made the Robertson deal which is why I would NEVER touch a Kentucky football player in the first round. I have never heard of one excelling in the NFL.

Randall Cobb and Larry Warford say hello. Anybody would take Dupree in the first.  Maybe not at 6, but he certainly should go in the first.  Za'darius Smith will also probably be gone by the end of the 4th.

Archived