Funchess at 37 if we don't get a White or Cooper at 6?

drdetroit

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see him lasting that long

Me either. I liked Funchess but since we acquired Marshall I think he would be redundant.  We need Speed and Dorsett has it in spades.  If he is there at 37, that's the pick.  

Me either. I liked Funchess but since we acquired Marshall I think he would be redundant. We need Speed and Dorsett has it in spades. If he is there at 37, that's the pick.

Beasley/dorsett is my dream 1/2 this season. That's adding two explosive playmakers on both sides of the ball

Not a bad idea, depends who at RB is available.

I am also holding on to the pipe dream that DGB might be available.

I dunno. I'm seeing mocks now where DGB goes as high as 16. The guy is just too good and WR is too valuable in today's nfl. Funchess might be our only chance to get a red zone threat in this draft.

Only reason I'm suggesting Funchess is because we still don't have a red zone guy on the roster. Funchess can be effective running the fade and execute the Z route and win jump balls because of his size.

Jets have been awful in the red zone last couple years.

Only reason I'm suggesting Funchess is because we still don't have a red zone guy on the roster. Funchess can be effective running the fade and execute the Z route and win jump balls because of his size.

Red zone?  What the **** is Brandon Marshall?  The guy is a career red zone stud.  Marshall and Decker both had double digit TDs in 2012 and 2013 and they had 8 and 5 last year.  Amaro *should* be good in the red zone too. If anything, they need a burner.  They have big bodied guys and Kerley who is shifty.  I know people argue about Funchess as WR vs. TE, but he seems a bit redundant to Amaro and Marshall. 

I am not against drafting another big bodied receiver if they feel strongly that he will be good, but certainly not just for the red zone.  Plaxico Burress was very successful in the red zone in 2011.  I think like 20% of his catches were TDs.   How much did that actually add to the offense?  You have to get to the red zone first.

Red zone? What the **** is Brandon Marshall? The guy is a career red zone stud. Marshall and Decker both had double digit TDs in 2012 and 2013 and they had 8 and 5 last year. Amaro *should* be good in the red zone too. If anything, they need a burner. They have big bodied guys and Kerley who is shifty. I know people argue about Funchess as WR vs. TE, but he seems a bit redundant to Amaro and Marshall.

I am not against drafting another big bodied receiver if they feel strongly that he will be good, but certainly not just for the red zone. Plaxico Burress was very successful in the red zone in 2011. I think like 20% of his catches were TDs. How much did that actually add to the offense? You have to get to the red zone first.

Yeah Amaro with his two touchdowns last year really tore it up in the red zone. Marshall is still good but he's getting old.

Yeah Amaro with his two touchdowns last year really tore it up in the red zone. Marshall is still good but he's getting old.

1.  Maybe it is the QB?  2.  Rookies never improve? 3.  That is 2 more NFL touchdowns than Funchess has? 4.  Does your mind not register the word should?  I even emphasized it for you.

How many big bodies do you want?  They lack speed.  TJ Graham is a burner, but he has not put it together and has been in a league for quite some time. The starters are both big and Amaro (and Cumberland for that matter) are both big bodied WRs.  I am not violently against Funchess, but I think there will be better options in the 2nd.  You want to throw Funchess the fade instead of Marshall or Decker? 

Also, serious question:  What are you referring to as a "Z route"?  I know I don't keep up on all my Chuckie lingo (The ole x y phi jamma Wisconsin skaker) but in my experience usually the positions are referred to by letters and the routes by numbers. 

1. Maybe it is the QB? 2. Rookies never improve? 3. That is 2 more NFL touchdowns than Funchess has? 4. Does your mind not register the word should? I even emphasized it for you.

How many big bodies do you want? They lack speed. TJ Graham is a burner, but he has not put it together and has been in a league for quite some time. The starters are both big and Amaro (and Cumberland for that matter) are both big bodied WRs. I am not violently against Funchess, but I think there will be better options in the 2nd. You want to throw Funchess the fade instead of Marshall or Decker?

Also, serious question: What are you referring to as a "Z route"? I know I don't keep up on all my Chuckie lingo (The ole x y phi jamma Wisconsin skaker) but in my experience usually the positions are referred to by letters and the routes by numbers.

It's clear you want a guy with a pretty 40 time. Straight line speed is overrated in the nfl game speed is more important. Which is why Stephen Hill and Tavon Austin stink but Jerry Rice is the greatest receiver ever with a blazing 4.7 40

It's clear you want a guy with a pretty 40 time. Straight line speed is overrated in the nfl game speed is more important. Which is why Stephen Hill and Tavon Austin stink but Jerry Rice is the greatest receiver ever with a blazing 4.7 40

1.  As expected, thank you for not responding to a single question I posed.  Not even the serious one.

2.  JERRY RICE NEVER RAN A ******* 4.7.  THAT IS A ******* MYTH.  He ran in the 4.5s.  He dropped because he went to a small school.  Not his 40 time. 

EDIT:  Yes, my sole concern is with 40 times.  Not the fact that he appears to be a hybrid TE/WR.  A  position where we already have 2 guys on roster, plus a 3rd transitioning towards.  Or this:

Pass-catching is labored. Allows throws into his frame and catches back half of football at times. Tagged with 20 drops over last three seasons. Isn't a lock to high-point a throw and doesn't attack throws. Won't win enough 50/50 throws.

I am no expert on Funchess and probably only saw him play a couple of times at most.  If you love him, fine.  Just seems strange that you are so worried about the Oline and want to draft another hybrid.  I'm not sure where Funchess shows this "NFL game speed" you seek.  If anything scouting reports have him as questionable and Austin had plenty of college game speed.  Certainly a world more than Funchess.

What are you talking about?  Brandon Marshall is not a red zone target?

Speed is not just straight line; it is also in and out of breaks. It is also acceleration; being able to stop/cut on a dime and then get to max speed in a hurry.  Being able to lull a defender to sleep and then stepping on the gas etc.    If you really think that kind of speed and quickness is overrated I don't know what football you have been watching.   The way our team is structured we need players who can stretch the field and keep defenses honest.  Devin Smith and Phillip Dorsett would fit the bill in both cases.    You say Marshall is getting old but he has at least 2 good years left; if the concern drafting his eventual replacement, I would go with Sammie Coates. 

1.  As expected, thank you for not responding to a single question I posed.  Not even the serious one.

2.  JERRY RICE NEVER RAN A ******* 4.7.  THAT IS A ******* MYTH.  He ran in the 4.5s.  He dropped because he went to a small school.  Not his 40 time. 

EDIT:  Yes, my sole concern is with 40 times.  Not the fact that he appears to be a hybrid TE/WR.  A  position where we already have 2 guys on roster, plus a 3rd transitioning towards.  Or this:

I am no expert on Funchess and probably only saw him play a couple of times at most.  If you love him, fine.  Just seems strange that you are so worried about the Oline and want to draft another hybrid.  I'm not sure where Funchess shows this "NFL game speed" you seek.  If anything scouting reports have him as questionable and Austin had plenty of college game speed.  Certainly a world more than Funchess.

Funchess in the right system (NE) will be a monster; especially in the slot.  The dude is 6'5 235 can jump to the moon and recently ran a 4.45 at his pro day.  I was high on him before we took Marshall but now I would prefer Phillip Dorsett because he brings something to the table that none of our other receivers have.  The dude might be the fastest receiver in the draft; think Santana Moss fast now add that to Decker, Marshall and Amaro. 

It sucks when your QB sucks. I'm hopeful if the current QB's are starting their just along for the ride...

He's a Cumberland'esque NFL TE imo. In no way shape or form can he be a substitute for missing out on Cooper at 6.

Yeah but if Cooper and White are both gone by 6 (realistic scenario) we have to get a Receiver this draft class is just way too good. I refuse to not get a good receiver toe years in a row with the best WR classes since 1996. I refuse.

Oh and he is a much more talented receiver than Cumberland. Please. Cumberland was hot sweaty garbage.

Yeah but if Cooper and White are both gone by 6 (realistic scenario) we have to get a Receiver this draft class is just way too good. I refuse to not get a good receiver toe years in a row with the best WR classes since 1996. I refuse.

Oh and he is a much more talented receiver than Cumberland. Please. Cumberland was hot sweaty garbage.

Think Agholor makes it to the second?

He's a Cumberland'esque NFL TE imo. In no way shape or form can he be a substitute for missing out on Cooper at 6. 

I don't know how many times I have debunk this... He is not a TE. He is a Wide Receiver in a TEs body.  The guy could develop into a poor mans Brandon Marshall. I don't know but that would not be a bad thing to me.  I am not advocating drafting him but please stop comparing him to scrubs like Cumberland. 

I don't know how many times I have debunk this... He is not a TE. He is a Wide Receiver in a TEs body.  The guy could develop into a poor mans Brandon Marshall. I don't know but that would not be a bad thing to me.  I am not advocating drafting him but please stop comparing him to scrubs like Cumberland. 

Except he spent a good amount of time at Michigan playing TE... and was grouped with Tight Ends at the combine. You've debunked nothing. I am not advocating drafting him but please stop comparing him to all pros like Marshall.

Except he spent a good amount of time at Michigan playing TE... and was grouped with Tight Ends at the combine. You've debunked nothing. I am not advocating drafting him but please stop comparing him to all pros like Marshall.

Dude, He switched to receiver two years ago and he is listed as a one of the top wide outs in this draft. He was interviewed by Jon Gruden along with White, Lockett and Crowder and discussed what RECEIVER he compares to.  His NOT a TE. I am comparing his Body Size to Marshall. He will be drafted AS A WIDE RECEIVER and in the first 3 rounds.  He is NOT a ******* scrub like Cumberland.  What I debunked is the fact that he WILL NOT BE A TE IN THE NFL so get over it.    

Draft Prospect Profile: Michigan WR Devin Funchess

Posted Mar 30, 2015

140825_maseheadshot.jpgAndrew MasonColumnist / AnalystEmail Twitter Send Mase a question!

•  
  •  
His size is more like that of a tight end, but as a wide receiver, Funchess' frame will present matchup problems for opposing defenders.
FROM THE FILM:

At Michigan, Funchess went back and forth between positions.

“I mean I really went from wide receiver to tight end, back to wide receiver," he said at the Combine. "Coming out of high school I played wide receiver and then they moved me to tight end."

At 232 pounds, he isn't the ideal size for a tight end. With 4.7 speed, he doesn't have the flat-out ability to beat cornerbacks deep. For Funchess to succeed in the NFL, he'll have to capitalize on mismatches: going down the seam against linebackers and working underneath against cornerbacks, taking advantage of his catch radius and his size to not only make the reception, but drag a cornerback in tight coverage for yardage after contact.

Despite his size and lack of timed speed, he shows athleticism in the open field, with the ability to dodge -- and even leap over -- defenders in the open field. He shows excellent body control going up for passes in traffic, and is outstanding at adjusting to the football in mid-flight.

He catches passes and displays agility like a wide receiver, and yet he has the size to go inside and down the seam. It's essential for Funchess to get into the right system with flexible coaches who can make the best use of a skill set unlike any other in this year's draft class.

OF NOTE:

A desire to be perceived more as a wide receiver led to his number change for the 2014 season, from 87 to 1.

"I wanted just to get that receiver look on me," Funchess said. "Everybody always had to claim the tight end, but that was last year. The past is the past, and then I made another mark on it with the future with No. 1."

Funchess would prefer not to be caught up in specific position definitions.

"I consider myself as a ball player," he said.

COMBINE MEASUREMENTS:

Height: 6-foot-4 

Weight: 232 pounds 

Arm: 33 1/2 inches (T-2nd among 44 Combine WRs) 

Hand: 9 3/4 inches (11th among 44 Combine WRs) 

40-yard dash: 4.70 seconds (39th among 39 Combine WRs tested) 

Bench press: 17 repetitions (T-5th among 30 Combine WRs tested) 

Vertical jump: 38.5 inches (8th among 38 Combine WRs tested) 

Broad jump: 10 feet, 2 inches (T-11th among 38 Combine WRs tested)

While Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota turned in a pro day performance that left some analysts feeling underwhelmedDevin Funchess was busy overwhelming those on hand for Michigan's pro day.

» 2015 pro days schedule and results

He ran a disappointing time of 4.70 at the NFL Scouting Combinein Indianapolis last month, presumably the factor that compelled him to run again on pro day. NFL Media analyst Bucky Brooks suggested that Funchess could be a man without a position in the NFL if he lacks the explosiveness needed to play receiver, and the strength to play tight end. But a 40 time of more than two-tenths of a second better than his combine effort could compel NFL clubs inclined to draft a big receiver to take a closer look at Funchess. Therein lies the other reason a strong pro-day performance was important for Funchess' draft hopes: the draft competition at wide receiver. The position might be the deepest in this year's draft. Teams that need a receiver should have an opportunity to land a talented one well beyond the first round.The former Wolverines wide receiver blistered a 4.48 40-yard dash Thursday, according to results provided on the school's official website. If NFL scouts recorded similar times and were duly impressed (and based on the variance of unofficial pro day times, that's not a given), it's a significant development for Funchess.

The tight end class, by contrast, is a weak one. Funchess wasgrouped with tight ends at the combine.

At 6-foot-4, 232 pounds, Funchess spent time at both positions over the course of his Michigan career, but strictly played wide receiver as a senior in 2014. Funchess also ran a short (20-yard) shuttle time of 4.57 seconds at the Michigan pro day, an event he passed on in Indianapolis.

He rates as the No. 36 overall prospect in the draft, according to NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah, down 11 spots after his combine performance.

Follow Chase Goodbread on Twitter @ChaseGoodbread.

Dude, He switched to receiver two years ago and he is listed as a one of the top wide outs in this draft. He was interviewed by Jon Gruden along with White, Lockett and Crowder and discussed what RECEIVER he compares to.  His NOT a TE. I am comparing his Body Size to Marshall. He will be drafted AS A WIDE RECEIVER and in the first 3 rounds.  He is NOT a ******* scrub like Cumberland.  What I debunked is the fact that he WILL NOT BE A TE IN THE NFL so get over it.    

Draft Prospect Profile: Michigan WR Devin Funchess

Posted Mar 30, 2015

140825_maseheadshot.jpgAndrew MasonColumnist / AnalystEmail Twitter Send Mase a question!

•  
  •  
His size is more like that of a tight end, but as a wide receiver, Funchess' frame will present matchup problems for opposing defenders.
FROM THE FILM:

At Michigan, Funchess went back and forth between positions.

“I mean I really went from wide receiver to tight end, back to wide receiver," he said at the Combine. "Coming out of high school I played wide receiver and then they moved me to tight end."

At 232 pounds, he isn't the ideal size for a tight end. With 4.7 speed, he doesn't have the flat-out ability to beat cornerbacks deep. For Funchess to succeed in the NFL, he'll have to capitalize on mismatches: going down the seam against linebackers and working underneath against cornerbacks, taking advantage of his catch radius and his size to not only make the reception, but drag a cornerback in tight coverage for yardage after contact.

Despite his size and lack of timed speed, he shows athleticism in the open field, with the ability to dodge -- and even leap over -- defenders in the open field. He shows excellent body control going up for passes in traffic, and is outstanding at adjusting to the football in mid-flight.

He catches passes and displays agility like a wide receiver, and yet he has the size to go inside and down the seam. It's essential for Funchess to get into the right system with flexible coaches who can make the best use of a skill set unlike any other in this year's draft class.

OF NOTE:

A desire to be perceived more as a wide receiver led to his number change for the 2014 season, from 87 to 1.

"I wanted just to get that receiver look on me," Funchess said. "Everybody always had to claim the tight end, but that was last year. The past is the past, and then I made another mark on it with the future with No. 1."

Funchess would prefer not to be caught up in specific position definitions.

"I consider myself as a ball player," he said.

COMBINE MEASUREMENTS:

Height: 6-foot-4 

Weight: 232 pounds 

Arm: 33 1/2 inches (T-2nd among 44 Combine WRs) 

Hand: 9 3/4 inches (11th among 44 Combine WRs) 

40-yard dash: 4.70 seconds (39th among 39 Combine WRs tested) 

Bench press: 17 repetitions (T-5th among 30 Combine WRs tested) 

Vertical jump: 38.5 inches (8th among 38 Combine WRs tested) 

Broad jump: 10 feet, 2 inches (T-11th among 38 Combine WRs tested)

While Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota turned in a pro day performance that left some analysts feeling underwhelmedDevin Funchess was busy overwhelming those on hand for Michigan's pro day.

» 2015 pro days schedule and results

He ran a disappointing time of 4.70 at the NFL Scouting Combinein Indianapolis last month, presumably the factor that compelled him to run again on pro day. NFL Media analyst Bucky Brooks suggested that Funchess could be a man without a position in the NFL if he lacks the explosiveness needed to play receiver, and the strength to play tight end. But a 40 time of more than two-tenths of a second better than his combine effort could compel NFL clubs inclined to draft a big receiver to take a closer look at Funchess. Therein lies the other reason a strong pro-day performance was important for Funchess' draft hopes: the draft competition at wide receiver. The position might be the deepest in this year's draft. Teams that need a receiver should have an opportunity to land a talented one well beyond the first round.The former Wolverines wide receiver blistered a 4.48 40-yard dash Thursday, according to results provided on the school's official website. If NFL scouts recorded similar times and were duly impressed (and based on the variance of unofficial pro day times, that's not a given), it's a significant development for Funchess.

The tight end class, by contrast, is a weak one. Funchess wasgrouped with tight ends at the combine.

At 6-foot-4, 232 pounds, Funchess spent time at both positions over the course of his Michigan career, but strictly played wide receiver as a senior in 2014. Funchess also ran a short (20-yard) shuttle time of 4.57 seconds at the Michigan pro day, an event he passed on in Indianapolis.

He rates as the No. 36 overall prospect in the draft, according to NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah, down 11 spots after his combine performance.

Follow Chase Goodbread on Twitter @ChaseGoodbread.

Jeff Cumberland...wait for it....moved from TE to WR at Illinois and ran a 4.45 10 lbs heavier. 

"A better prospect than two UDFAs!!!" "We **MUST** draft him in the 2nd!!!"  "Our offensive line is going to sh*t, but we **NEED** to draft a hybrid TE in the second!!!"  Never mind the fact that we already have two and another oversized gooch WR. 

Dr. Detroit, you are on record for Scherff and Funchess, right?  Dream scenario?

"A better prospect than two UDFAs!!!" "We **MUST** draft him in the 2nd!!!"  "Our offensive line is going to sh*t, but we **NEED** to draft a hybrid TE in the second!!!"  Never mind the fact that we already have two and another oversized gooch WR. 

Dr. Detroit, you are on record for Scherff and Funchess, right?  Dream scenario?

HE'S NOT A HYBRID TE DAMMIT!!!!

Archived