Funchess at 37 if we don't get a White or Cooper at 6?

drdetroit

"A better prospect than two UDFAs!!!" "We **MUST** draft him in the 2nd!!!" "Our offensive line is going to sh*t, but we **NEED** to draft a hybrid TE in the second!!!" Never mind the fact that we already have two and another oversized gooch WR.

Dr. Detroit, you are on record for Scherff and Funchess, right? Dream scenario?

Nah man we should draft two mediocre Olb's and hope they each can average one sack per year like Melvin Ingram and Dion Jordan or even better draft a glorified option qb at 6.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jerry Rice ran a 4.71 and 4.59 at his workouts.

Cumby > Rice

JERRY RICE NEVER RAN A ******* 4.7.  THAT IS A ******* MYTH.  He ran in the 4.5s.  He dropped because he went to a small school.  Not his 40 time. 

I am going to start neg repping every post that claims Rice ran a 4.7 or that Fitzgerald ran (insert whatever bullsh*t slow time you want) at the combine.  Fitzgerald did not even run at the combine and some moron cited a 4.63 which everybody has repeated.

Jeff Cumberland...wait for it....moved from TE to WR at Illinois and ran a 4.45 10 lbs heavier. 

JEFF CUMBERLAND! Slooowly I turned.... Step by step.....  

You know on a serious note; I wonder if our new coaching staff will be able to get anything out of Cumberland.  The guy looks like Tarzan and plays like Jane.  It would be awesome if Gailey found a way to really utilize his talents (assuming he can stay on the field long enough that is.)

On another note, Funchess has much quicker feet, and moves more like a wide out than tight end.  He is best suited playing at around 235 which is very light for a tight end.  Cumberland is just the opposite and is more suited to play tight end.  

There is at least 12 wr's I'd take before Funchess. 

I am not in favor of drafting him because we have Brandon Marshall, but I think alot of you guys are seriously under rating what he brings on the next level.  If he goes to team with an innovative "outside the box" thinking HC/OC this guy is going to become a walking, talking mismatch and a nightmare for defensive backs.   You let Bill Belicheck get his paws on him and see what happens. 

I am not in favor of drafting him because we have Brandon Marshall, but I think alot of you guys are seriously under rating what he brings on the next level.  If he goes to team with an innovative "outside the box" thinking HC/OC this guy is going to become a walking, talking mismatch and a nightmare for defensive backs.   You let Bill Belicheck get his paws on him and see what happens. 

I don't think move tight ends are innovative or outside the box anymore.  In fact, I think they are all the rage.

Michigan's Devin Funchess Could Be a Matchup Weapon in the Pros By Matt BowenNFL National Lead Writer Apr 2, 2015

Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse more stories
63d3705bc608d524174e5098fc0d9776_crop_no

Getty Images
Reads
Comments

The term "hybrid" is often overused in the draft process. 

We use it to describe a player who has a skill set that can make him a fit in multiple roles, depending on what a team needs. It's all about finding the "value" in a player and maximizing the talent by putting him in a position to succeed, produce and impact the game plan on Sunday.

This brings us to Michigan prospect Devin Funchess.

The 6'4", 232-pounder with a 38.5 inch vertical jump moved from tight end to wide receiver in 2014. He's been labeled as a player who can create bad matchups for the opponent lining up in a variety of spots on the field to utilize his size, length and frame to go get the football. 

Call him a "hybrid" if you want, but the goal isn't going to change when he gets into an NFL system. He's going to catch passes from different alignments. And a smart team, a well-coached team, will find situations where he can make plays.

As one NFL scout told me, Funchess can be featured like former Green Bay Packer Jermichael Finely, who was more of a "big slot receiver than a tight end."

hi-res-4a594b04084574c1c54d2c05c0550eb3_

Matt Cashore-USA TODAY Sports

This is a player that can be used to beat a linebacker up the seam, run a comeback, run a fade, run a post, match up against a cornerback outside or work underneath—in the middle of the field—on third downs to move the sticks against zone coverages. You want to reduce his alignment and get him matched up against a linebacker in a Cover 2 defense? That works. And so does the idea of Funchess running the fade route in the red zone.

Back at the combine in February, there was a negative buzz on Funchess when he posted a 4.70 40. That's a slow time for a "stopwatch position" in the pros. But Funchess changed the narrative at his pro day when he ran in the high 4.4 to low 4.5 range and also registered a 6.98 three-cone time. Those are wide receiver numbers. 

The NFL scouts point to that workout in Ann Arbor, the size he brings to the field and the versatility he can create for an NFL offense based on game situation. He has excellent body control, the flexibility to adjust to the ball and a large catch radius. 

Here's an example of that from the Utah-Michigan game in 2014 with Funchess running a deep slant versus a cornerback playing from an outside leverage position.

97431b32be40aa6fe4e0d7c45b10e423.gif?142
Credit: Draft Breakdown 

The ball placement here is poor as the quarterback puts this throw on Funchess' back shoulder, but look at how the wide out adjusts at the point of attack, flips his hips and secures the ball with his hands to finish. That's good football to make this play in traffic.

In the tape I've watched, there is a lot to like when focusing on Funchess' skill set, and he flashes play-making ability in one-on-one situations regardless of where he lines up on the field. You can look at the Notre Dame tape to watch Funchess run routes inside the numbers or flip on the Ohio State game and check out the wide receiver winning matchups outside versus the National Champs.

In this example versus Ohio State, Funchess runs the deep post against man-coverage to win down the field.

d9ae337b4841c510f062fa580a2310fd.gif?142

Basic route we are looking at here with Funchess taking an outside release and then stemming inside to gain leverage on the cornerback. That's all he needs to pin the defender and shield him from the ball at the point of attack. Use that size and length to win. Play big and create an explosive gain.

I do think the tape on Funchess from 2013 is better when he did play tight end in the Michigan system, but he wasn't an old-school, on-the-line guy every snap. Instead, he was removed from the core of the formation often (like a wide receiver) and that's where we can see those matchup situations as he draws a safety or linebacker in coverage.

Check this out from the 2013 game against Penn State with Funchess lined up in a stack that allows him to work the deep seam route versus a linebacker.

f96ff30ed811f41e251aa9c84b88674b.gif?142

The defensive call from Penn State probably looks good on the chalkboard, with the linebacker carrying the seam, but this is a matchup that favors Funchess due to his athleticism. Funchess presses the route up the field, out-runs the defender, adjusts to the ball and makes the play. 

I've heard the comparisons made with Funchess to Carolina Panthers' wide receiver Kelvin Benjamin. The former Florida State star has size outside, can find the football and did produce as a rookie this past season, working with quarterback Cam Newton. But I do think Benjamin has more explosive-play ability, acceleration down the field and he is stronger at the point of attack.

And that's when some questions start to roll in on Funchess. 

There are signs of inconsistency when the drops show up on tape. It's frustrating to watch as he can fail to finish. Plus, there are times when he doesn't go up and climb the ladder to use that size. Too many plays left on the field.

The scouts see it too, and while they do bring up to the sub-par quarterback play and overall offensive issues at Michigan this past season, there are concerns where Funchess is at in terms of his overall development at the position. There is a somewhat raw feel to his game when focusing on route running, as Funchess can get stuck in his breaks, and he doesn't always play to his timed speed.

That's why Funchess isn't listed in the first tier of wide receivers in the 2015 class and is most likely to come off the board at some point on Day 2 of the draft. But even with the questions and the learning curve Funchess will have to work through in the NFL, scouts still like his talent and the opportunities he can provide on the pro stage.

Like I said above, calling Funchess a "hybrid" player is fine, but he will earn his money in the NFL as a wide receiver that could ultimately be a matchup weapon for the right offense.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2416389-michigans-devin-funchess-could-be-a-matchup-weapon-in-the-pros

He could be a mismatch for NFL LBs, not DBs...imo. Potential red zone guy and/or in 4-5 receiver sets as the underneath guy. Saints would/could be a good fit imo.  

Big no from me, I would bet DGB is there at 37 and even if he is not there are likely to be other players who are better available such as Devin Smith, Dorsett (who I don't like), hell I would even take Coates over him.

More times than not these "bigger" guys fail in the NFL because bottom line, they can't separate. I'd rather the smaller, faster, better route runner all day everyday. Although Kelvin Benjamin is a guy who's recently bucked the trend so you never know. I suppose Vincent Jackson and Marshall have something to say about that too. However I don't think Funchess is in their class, but jmo.

More times than not these "bigger" guys fail in the NFL because bottom line, they can't separate. I'd rather the smaller, faster, better route runner all day everyday. Although Kelvin Benjamin is a guy who's recently bucked the trend so you never know. I suppose Vincent Jackson and Marshall have something to say about that too. However I don't think Funchess is in their class, but jmo.

I guess we will see.  I have no problem with your point about smaller, faster etc. that is why I am in favor of drafting Phillip Dorsett at 37 if he is there.  However it is about having complimentary parts to me and since we already have big receivers in Marshall and Decker it just makes sense to compliment that abilities with a Dorsett type.  However if that was all we had I would want a bigger receiver.  Btw that trend for oversized receivers seems to be growing as this draft may feature the most number of wrs over 6'1 drafted in the first and second rounds.   

Just look at the first round:

Cooper 6'1

White 6'3

Perriman 6'2

Parker 6'3

Strong 6'3

DGB 6'5

Devin Smith at 6'1, Coates at 6'2, Funchess at 6'5 all of whom will probably go in the 2nd round, and you see where this is going.  

Go or no-go?

I say go.

Detriot Md. are you sure this isn't a bit of hometown favoritism towards a Wolverine?  

In all seriousness I would like that pick in the second round.  He is more polished than Hill and he has the right size.  Perhaps there is better value there but this wouldn't be a bad pick in my book. 

Detriot Md. are you sure this isn't a bit of hometown favoritism towards a Wolverine?  

In all seriousness I would like that pick in the second round.  He is more polished than Hill and he has the right size.  Perhaps there is better value there but this wouldn't be a bad pick in my book. 

I would prefer we go for the speedster, but if they feel Owusu can fill that role, I would be okay with Funchess. 

DeVante Parker - WR - Cardinals

ESPN's Kevin Weidl compares Louisville WR DeVante Parker to A.J. Green.

"Green was a more polished route-runner and a tad bit quicker transitioning out of breaks coming out of Georgia," Weidl wrote. "However, both have long, slender and flexible frames with excellent range tracking throws, and also have the body control and leaping ability to win in contested situations." Meanwhile, based on numbers, Sharon Katz of the Stats & Information Group compares Parker to Michael Floyd, A.J. Green and Martavis Bryant. "Parker is tall (slightly under 6-3) and lean (209 pounds) with long arms and average hands; his build is most similar to Bryant's, but his athleticism most closely resembles that of Floyd and Green," she wrote. "He has good straight-line speed (4.45 40), which is within 0.05 seconds of all three players listed above, and above-average leaping ability for his size."

What round do you think?  The JN mock went 5 full rounds and something like 25 WRs were picked and he was still on the board.  I can't see him lasting that long.  Somebody will fall in love with his physical attributes.

late 5th to priority free agent.

late 5th to priority free agent.

I was thinking he'll probably gone by the end of the 5th.  I would be first in his driveway to sign him as an UDFA. 

This guy has an interesting take:  http://www.ninersnation.com/2015/4/4/8345797/revisiting-force-as-an-nfl-draft-measurement

He rates the players by "newtons"  which is basically a size/speed (mass*acceleration) figure.  Then he looks at the "playmaker score"  which is a football outsiders measure.  Then he comes up with some figure based on how well they *should* have performed.  The most interesting thing to me is that Amari Cooper comes out at the top no matter what rating system you use.  Perriman also grades our very high.  White and DeVante Parker are scary to this dude.  The playmaker score HATES Parker, but is very high on Diggs and Titus Davis.  It also rates a different Georgia Tech WR very high, DeAndre Smelter-with appropriate small sample size/Stephen Hill sucks explanation.  They both have Funchess pretty high.  From what I have seen I would prefer Perriman

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2015/playmaker-score-2015

Anyone have any info/thoughts on Rannell Hall?

I don't know much about him, but I remember he said he ran a 4.41 at his pro day.  It was reported in the articles about his classmate, Perriman. He was supposed to be a track guy with good vertical speed, but only ran 4.6 at the combine.  I'm not sure what his track event was.  Maybe he was a top ender?  There was a blurb that said a scout hoped he would have a quiet Senior Bowl to keep him under the radar.  Seemed to imply he looked good, but I don't remember anybody around here falling in love. 

I don't know much about him, but I remember he said he ran a 4.41 at his pro day.  It was reported in the articles about his classmate, Perriman. He was supposed to be a track guy with good vertical speed, but only ran 4.6 at the combine.  I'm not sure what his track event was.  Maybe he was a top ender?  There was a blurb that said a scout hoped he would have a quiet Senior Bowl to keep him under the radar.  Seemed to imply he looked good, but I don't remember anybody around here falling in love. 

Cool, thanks. I remember watching UCF and him and not Perriman standing out with Bortles. 

Cool, thanks. I remember watching UCF and him and not Perriman standing out with Bortles. 

I don't remember seeing him at all, but what Tinstar said fits the NFL.com scouting report:

Bottom Line

Isn't going to get teams excited with his size, play speed or hands, but he's willing to do whatever is asked of him and flashes enough potential to be viewed as a developmental prospect.

Anybody remember him from the senior bowl?  I never watched it and lost all my DVR stuff when they switched boxes.

I was thinking he'll probably gone by the end of the 5th.  I would be first in his driveway to sign him as an UDFA. 

This guy has an interesting take:  http://www.ninersnation.com/2015/4/4/8345797/revisiting-force-as-an-nfl-draft-measurement

He rates the players by "newtons"  which is basically a size/speed (mass*acceleration) figure.  Then he looks at the "playmaker score"  which is a football outsiders measure.  Then he comes up with some figure based on how well they *should* have performed.  The most interesting thing to me is that Amari Cooper comes out at the top no matter what rating system you use.  Perriman also grades our very high.  White and DeVante Parker are scary to this dude.  The playmaker score HATES Parker, but is very high on Diggs and Titus Davis.  It also rates a different Georgia Tech WR very high, DeAndre Smelter-with appropriate small sample size/Stephen Hill sucks explanation.  They both have Funchess pretty high.  From what I have seen I would prefer Perriman

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2015/playmaker-score-2015

Perriman is now considered a mid first round pick.  In fact, he could come off the board before Parker, believe it or not. 

Archived