Funchess at 37 if we don't get a White or Cooper at 6?

drdetroit

I'd take him before Funchess.  These guys hate Parker.

I would too, and I like Funchess.  Don't get the Parker hate but the one issue I have with him is he hasn't seemed to master how to keep both legs in bounds on some those sideline/back of endzone catches.  

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would too, and I like Funchess.  Don't get the Parker hate but the one issue I have with him is he hasn't seemed to master how to keep both legs in bounds on some those sideline/back of endzone catches.  

Just repeating Football Outsiders

DeVante Parker, Louisville

Playmaker Projection: 404 Yards

Playmaker Score: 45.9%

The appropriate question might not be why Parker's Playmaker is so low, but why Parker is even considered a first-round candidate in the first place. Parker is coming out as a senior and he does not have White's excuse that he was in junior college for two seasons: Parker has been playing college football for a full four years. Parker has never topped 1,000 yards once in those four years.

It's not as if he had a weak supporting cast either: as a junior he had the benefit of catching passes from first-round pick Teddy Bridgewater at his pre-NFL peak. A future star NFL wide receiver should have put up video game-like numbers in these conditions, but Parker produced only 885 yards. Although Parker put up some decent per-game numbers as a senior after returning from an early injury, prospects with a similar pattern of production have typically not fared well. The list of drafted wide receivers who played in less than ten games as a senior with an average of more than 100 yards per game includes Ryan Broyles, Eugene Baker, Will Blackwell, Kelley Washington, Peter Warrick, and Chase Lyman.

In any event, senior performance is arguably moot. If Parker had the talent level of a Julio Jones, he would already be in the NFL.

Just repeating Football Outsiders

Wow; that is pretty harsh. I wonder if GMs are thinking the same thing.  Imagine if he fell all the way to 37; MacCags should teleport our pick up to the Commish. 

Cool, thanks. I remember watching UCF and him and not Perriman standing out with Bortles. 

He made the catch of the game at the East-West shrine... I'm on record saying he'll have a better career than Perriman.

Wow; that is pretty harsh. I wonder if GMs are thinking the same thing.  Imagine if he fell all the way to 37; MacCags should teleport our pick up to the Commish. 

Fck that. Parker is the best WR in this draft not named DGB (if we're talking potential to dominate)... and it's nice to finally start seeing some blurbs out there that recognize this.

Sharon Katz and John Parolin of ESPN Stats & Information compare Louisville WR DeVante Parker's draft profile to Mike Evans.

The similarities are statistical. Evans led the NFL with 18 catches of 20-plus yards last season and led the NCAA in that stat the year before at Texas A&M. Parker, meanwhile, accrued 49 percent of his receiving yards last year on passes thrown 20-plus yards. By percentage, he was the nation's best deep threat last year, better than even Ohio State’s Devin Smith. "Although Parker is shorter than Evans, he tracks deep balls and can make tough over-the-shoulder catches like Evans," wrote Katz and Parolin. Apr 8 - 5:21 PM
Source: ESPN Insider

ESPN's Kevin Weidl compares Louisville WR DeVante Parker to A.J. Green.

"Green was a more polished route-runner and a tad bit quicker transitioning out of breaks coming out of Georgia," Weidl wrote. "However, both have long, slender and flexible frames with excellent range tracking throws, and also have the body control and leaping ability to win in contested situations." Meanwhile, based on numbers, Sharon Katz of the Stats & Information Group compares Parker to Michael Floyd, A.J. Green and Martavis Bryant. "Parker is tall (slightly under 6-3) and lean (209 pounds) with long arms and average hands; his build is most similar to Bryant's, but his athleticism most closely resembles that of Floyd and Green," she wrote. "He has good straight-line speed (4.45 40), which is within 0.05 seconds of all three players listed above, and above-average leaping ability for his size." Apr 5 - 8:36 PM

he's scheduled to visit the Jets later this week.

i think Perriman the kid from UCF could fall to us in the 2nd nobody is talking about him and he has good hands and speed.

Nobody talking about him? Plenty of people are talking about him;  he was projected as a late first early second round pick before he ran a 4.26 at his pro day. Now he may be the 3 or 4 receiver taken. 

Fck that. Parker is the best WR in this draft not named DGB (if we're talking potential to dominate)... and it's nice to finally start seeing some blurbs out there that recognize this.

lol, why am I not surprised to see this. 

I don't know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because you have been Parkers' strongest advocate; nothing wrong with that.  I was surprised to see the negative report on Parker myself, tbh.  It is like some of this "experts" need to be "different" so that they get noticed.  

You like him that much?  How do you have them both rated higher than Cooper?  Cooper seems to be at the top no matter what possible method of ranking you want to use.

Go or no-go?

I say go.

Slow. Too slow. We have two big, sure handed red zone threats with Marshall and Decker. Why another. I'd rather Dorsett if we take a WR. He's something we don't have in the two I mentioned and Kerly.

Slow. Too slow. We have two big, sure handed red zone threats with Marshall and Decker. Why another. I'd rather Dorsett if we take a WR. He's something we don't have in the two I mentioned and Kerly.

I am with you on that.  In fact Dorsett or Devin Smith would be fine with me. 

Nobody talking about him? Plenty of people are talking about him;  he was projected as a late first early second round pick before he ran a 4.26 at his pro day. Now he may be the 3 or 4 receiver taken.

like who?? the NFl network has him as the 5th best WR I don't think that 5 WRs will go in the 1st I just don't see that and if that is the case then we will have a good shot at a very good OT and this is a very deep WR class we can come out with a true#1 a speed guy that can catch,Besides I like him but I don't think anybody has him ahead of Parker or Strong

like who?? the NFl network has him as the 5th best WR I don't think that 5 WRs will go in the 1st I just don't see that and if that is the case then we will have a good shot at a very good OT and this is a very deep WR class we can come out with a true#1 a speed guy that can catch,Besides I like him but I don't think anybody has him ahead of Parker or Strong

Perriman is flying up the draft charts.  After running 4.26 he has definitely moved into first round consideration.  He is now 9 on Kipers Big Board. CBS Sports have him at 23rd pick in the first round.  He is also considered a possible pick by the Dolphins in round one.  Just google him and see his draft projections.  The odds of him hitting the second round much less falling to 37 is slim, not impossible but looking highly unlikely.   BTW the guy is not a "speed guy" per se even though he is pretty fast.  He is 6'2 214 and looks and plays like Kevin White.    There could be as many as 7 receivers going in the first round: Cooper, White, Parker, DGB, Perriman, Strong, Devin Smith or Dorsett.    

I wonder if  you guys consider best fit when you guys pick a player for the Jets . Take for example the WRs .

Cooper is an excellent fit.

White is a great talent

Parker is a great player

Where is the BPA in the group

Perriman is flying up the draft charts.  After running 4.26 he has definitely moved into first round consideration.  He is now 9 on Kipers Big Board. CBS Sports have him at 23rd pick in the first round.  He is also considered a possible pick by the Dolphins in round one.  Just google him and see his draft projections.  The odds of him hitting the second round much less falling to 37 is slim, not impossible but looking highly unlikely.   BTW the guy is not a "speed guy" per se even though he is pretty fast.  He is 6'2 214 and looks and plays like Kevin White.    There could be as many as 7 receivers going in the first round: Cooper, White, Parker, DGB, Perriman, Strong, Devin Smith or Dorsett.

maybe strong will fall maybe? last year the 2nd best WR fell to the 2nd so anything could happen and I must say this love your avatar lol

maybe strong will fall maybe? last year the 2nd best WR fell to the 2nd so anything could happen and I must say this love your avatar lol

Thanks ;-).  And you are right, anything can happen; I hoping that one of those guys in the top seven fall to us at 37.  Personally I would prefer more speed like D. Smith or Dorsett to help stretch the field but I would have no problem with taking Strong if he fell that far.  I doubt if he would get past NE or the other teams that pick ahead of us in the second round.  I can see Tampa or Jacksonville talking him.... 

You like him that much?  How do you have them both rated higher than Cooper?  Cooper seems to be at the top no matter what possible method of ranking you want to use.

A lot of fools have White as their #1, which i get but i think it's a mirage. I say that relative to the top 3. Kevin White himself is not a mirage, but the notion of him being better than Cooper and Parker (of even Strong) is a mirage in my eyes.

Cooper is in some ways the opposite of Parker. A clean, almost finesse WR. Parker is a dirty grinder who welcomes contact. We're comparing Dez Bryant to Reggie Wayne here. 

Finally starting to see the recognition...

DeVante Parker - WR - Player

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora believes Louisville WR DeVante Parker could be a top-10 pick.

Parker is considered by many to be the No. 3 receiver in this class behind Amari Cooper and Kevin White, but some NFL evaluators have Parker ahead of White and not far behind Cooper. "Parker is the kind of kid who could go to the right spot and put up 1,200 receiving yards as a rookie," one personnel man said. "He's that good." The Rams and Vikings pick Nos. 10 and 11, respectively, and are said to be looking hard at Parker. At 6'3/209, he's a first-round lock.

• 7 months later...

Bump

Hey guys I'm so glad we drafted Devin Smith over Funchess!

Never liked Funchess, maybe he will get a little better once the Panthers get back Benjamin (who I did like going into the draft). Devin Smith I think will come around next season, he will be like Pryor where half the forum is screaming about how he is a bust and he will come back looking like a completely different player (at least that is my guess)

• 2 months later...

Archived