Dorsett Runs Sub 4.3; May have Moved Himself into the 1st Round.

JetBlue

Just kidding.  I like Dorsett as a big play guy...kind of like the way the Saints have used their Devry Hendersons, Kenny Stills, Robert Meachem.   Big play threat, someone who can take the top off but he's not going to be a 70+ reception guy.  So that said, he's not an option in my mind till RD3...and he more than likely wont make it that far. 

Again, Canes fan here, another player who will not disappoint. Too bad they had stupid head coach, Miami football program has taken a beating under Al Golden tenure. We were all hoping he got canned after losing over and over to inferior teams. Nope, looks like another year of mediocrity before the new administration finally sends his butt packing. We are all hoping Butch Davis will still be available to get this dog turned around.

Again, Canes fan here, another player who will not disappoint. Too bad they had stupid head coach, Miami football program has taken a beating under Al Golden tenure. We were all hoping he got canned after losing over and over to inferior teams. Nope, looks like another year of mediocrity before the new administration finally sends his butt packing. We are all hoping Butch Davis will still be available to get this dog turned around.

Watch Chickillo become a good 4-3 DE like he was supposed to be coming out of high school before Al Folden took him and turned him into a 3-4 2 gap DT. Talk about square peg in round hole.

Im really starting to hate 40 times. 

That is because you believe the thread title.  Everybody knew he was fast.   He ran a 4.33 at the combine.  The news would have been if he ran slower at pro day.  Just the fact he was willing to run meant he knew he'd time better.  Guys that get helped by 40 times are guys like Cooper where people are a little worried about their speed or bigger guys where teams worry about their ability to translate.  A fast guy running a fast 40 is no shock and isn't going to change his draft position much. . 

That is because you believe the thread title.  Everybody knew he was fast.   He ran a 4.33 at the combine.  The news would have been if he ran slower at pro day.  Just the fact he was willing to run meant he knew he'd time better.  Guys that get helped by 40 times are guys like Cooper where people are a little worried about their speed or bigger guys where teams worry about their ability to translate.  A fast guy running a fast 40 is no shock and isn't going to change his draft position much. . 

Its not because I believe it, its because other people believe it. Same thing with Perriman. Dude runs lights out and suddenly he's a "1st round type talent".  Crazy. 

Okay guys back on topic :-). Do you think Dorsett will be there at 37 after running a blazing 4.25 at his pro day?

Sadly, I'm starting to doubt it. He not only solidified his speed but he also runs sharp routes and catches ball well. Look at his tape. The guy just blows by everyone.

Running 4.35 is fast; running 4.25 is newsworthy and does garner attention.  

As a result he may now be on the radar of even more teams.  He was projected as high as the second round although many mocks had him going early in the third.  I was sure he would be there at 37; now I am not so confident.

Its not because I believe it, its because other people believe it. Same thing with Perriman. Dude runs lights out and suddenly he's a "1st round type talent".  Crazy. 

I think you are missing the point entirely....  

By the way what do mean "believe the Thread Title".  What is not to believe?  He did run a sub 4.3 and MAY have moved himself into the first round.  Did I misstate something?  I assume anyone reading the Draft Forum knows who Dorsett is and that he is fast; he just confirmed he was even faster then we thought.  

Running 4.35 is fast; running 4.25 is newsworthy and does garner attention.  

As a result he may now be on the radar of even more teams.  He was projected as high as the second round although many mocks had him going early in the third.  I was sure he would be there at 37; now I am not so confident.

Running a 4.35 at the combine is probably very similar to running a 4.25 at a pro day.  Pro day times are notoriously fast.  They usually run on a fast track and are hand-timed.  The school usually publishes the "official" result which is usually towards the fast side. 

By the way what do mean "believe the Thread Title".  What is not to believe?  He did run a sub 4.3 and MAY have moved himself into the first round.  Did I misstate something?  I assume anyone reading the Draft Forum knows who Dorsett is and that he is fast; he just confirmed he was even faster then we thought.  

I don't think his draft slot changes based on the 40.  If he was a potential first rounder before, he reinforced that.  I don't think scouts were sitting around thinking "Hmmm, if only that rocket fast WR could run a tenth faster he would be worth another 20 slots."   If we are so excited about pro day times then Perriman is also in the first.  If teams are going to reward Dorsett for that time it will be mainly for taking the risk to try to beat an impressive combine time and not failing.  The guys it is important for are guys that were hurt or were slugs at the combine (Mr. WRhimself Funchess)

Running a 4.35 at the combine is probably very similar to running a 4.25 at a pro day.  Pro day times are notoriously fast.  They usually run on a fast track and are hand-timed.  The school usually publishes the "official" result which is usually towards the fast side. 

I don't think his draft slot changes based on the 40.  If he was a potential first rounder before, he reinforced that.  I don't think scouts were sitting around thinking "Hmmm, if only that rocket fast WR could run a tenth faster he would be worth another 20 slots."   If we are so excited about pro day times then Perriman is also in the first.  If teams are going to reward Dorsett for that time it will be mainly for taking the risk to try to beat an impressive combine time and not failing.  The guys it is important for are guys that were hurt or were slugs at the combine (Mr. WRhimself Funchess)

+1

So now you are contradicting yourself; a fast 40 time at a pro day helps Funchess but you just said pro days are run on a fast track so don't the people who are paid to do this for a living know this too?   So why would it help Funchess' position if they know it's a fast track?  Yet every report published talks about how "he helped himself" by running 4.48.   You really think Dorsett running a sub 4.25 is irrelevant?  I am not saying it is the end all be all, but if a team has him and another player kind of evenly ranked something like this could be the difference in who they select.  You can't teach that kind of speed and Dorsett plays FAST not just running 40 times.

Also for some reason you seem to over look the fact that I said MAY not WILL help Dorsett move into the first round.  So I don't understand why you feel the need to go back and forth on this.  

Btw, I would not be surprised at all to see Perriman in first as well now that you mention it.  He was projected to go high in the second round anyway.  

You do realize the people who count are the ones making those evaluations, not us right?   Players move up and down the draft board every year for all kinds of reasons including things like their 40 times.  Why are you acting like this is something new?   

So now you are contradicting yourself; a fast 40 time at a pro day helps Funchess but you just said pro days are run on a fast track so don't the people who are paid to do this for a living know this too?   So why would it help Funchess' position if they know it's a fast track?  Yet every report published talks about how "he helped himself" by running 4.48.   You really think Dorsett running a sub 4.25 is irrelevant?  I am not saying it is the end all be all, but if a team has him and another player kind of evenly ranked something like this could be the difference in who they select.  You can't teach that kind of speed and Dorsett plays FAST not just running 40 times.

Also for some reason you seem to over look the fact that I said MAY not WILL help Dorsett move into the first round.  So I don't understand why you feel the need to go back and forth on this.  

Btw, I would not be surprised at all to see Perriman in first as well now that you mention it.  He was projected to go high in the second round anyway.  

It cements him as fast.  A one tenth drop combine to pro day is pretty normal.  Funchess ran a slow time for a TE.  He dropped better than 2 tenths at his pro day.  He needed to.  Funchess also elected not to run the shuttle and some of the other stuff at the combine.  Another guy who will need to run again is David Cobb.  He ran a 4.8 and got hurt at the combine.  He wasn't ready to work out at Minnesota's pro day and will have to show he can run in a private workout pretty soon.

Probably. 

Villian, all I simply am trying to say is whether you or I like it or not; things like pro days can not only solidify ones draft status but also enhance it as can serve as more confirmation of what one can expect from a given prospect in the pros.  In this case, Dorsett posting Deon Sanders type numbers to go along with his combine and on field production, just provides more proof of his ability and projects well on the next level,  The closer we get to the draft the more those things matter.  

It cements him as fast.  A one tenth drop combine to pro day is pretty normal.  Funchess ran a slow time for a TE.  He dropped better than 2 tenths at his pro day.  He needed to.  Funchess also elected not to run the shuttle and some of the other stuff at the combine.  Another guy who will need to run again is David Cobb.  He ran a 4.8 and got hurt at the combine.  He wasn't ready to work out at Minnesota's pro day and will have to show he can run in a private workout pretty soon.

Fair enough.

You do realize the people who count are the ones making those evaluations, not us right?   Players move up and down the draft board every year for all kinds of reasons including things like their 40 times.  Why are you acting like this is something new?   

Im "not" acting like this is something new. This is why Im saying that I'm beginning to hate what the 40 represents. My opinion. 

Villian, all I simply am trying to say is whether you or I like it or not; things like pro days can not only solidify ones draft status but also enhance it as can serve as more confirmation of what one can expect from a given prospect in the pros.  In this case, Dorsett posting Deon Sanders type numbers to go along with his combine and on field production, just provides more proof of his ability and projects well on the next level,  The closer we get to the draft the more those things matter.  

I dont disagree with your position of a player solidifying themselves at a pro day. I agree 100% with you on that brother. No problem there. My only disagreement (just my opinion) is guys suddenly being 1st round type football players for being "track stars". What good is his speed if he's not a good wide receiver? And I'm not saying he's good or bad, what I'm saying is a pro day is only supposed to further solidify what is already expected or anticipated, not make you a 1st round pick because you ran 40 yards in just over 4 seconds. 

This is why my original comment was what it was. The 40 is becoming a life of its own because of its advertisement. Football players, in particular wideouts are not made on the track. Is it great to have that speed? Hell yeah! But I'd rather have a SLOW Larry Fitzgerald, who I know if the ball is thrown his way is pretty much guaranteed to be a completion. Id rather have a SLOW Brandon Marshall that can't outrun anyone but somehow has the ability to establish space and separation through his ability to run a route, set up his opponent and box out. That's stuff that isn't measured in a 40 time, yet are some of the main ingredients that make up a wide receiver. 

So I will apologize if I rubbed you wrong, because I love what you bring here Jetblue, but honestly Im generally getting tired of this 40 time sh*t. Amari Cooper was the hands-down favorite when the college season ended. Kevin White runs an unexpected 4.36 40 and suddenly Kevin White is the best f'ing Wideout in the country. Now, he may be, but its not because of the reason that people give him the credit for, which is a 40 time. I just...,I just can't man lol. 

I dont disagree with your position of a player solidifying themselves at a pro day. I agree 100% with you on that brother. No problem there. My only disagreement (just my opinion) is guys suddenly being 1st round type football players for being "track stars". What good is his speed if he's not a good wide receiver? And I'm not saying he's good or bad, what I'm saying is a pro day is only supposed to further solidify what is already expected or anticipated, not make you a 1st round pick because you ran 40 yards in just over 4 seconds. 

This is why my original comment was what it was. The 40 is becoming a life of its own because of its advertisement. Football players, in particular wideouts are not made on the track. Is it great to have that speed? Hell yeah! But I'd rather have a SLOW Larry Fitzgerald, who I know if the ball is thrown his way is pretty much guaranteed to be a completion. Id rather have a SLOW Brandon Marshall that can't outrun anyone but somehow has the ability to establish space and separation through his ability to run a route, set up his opponent and box out. That's stuff that isn't measured in a 40 time, yet are some of the main ingredients that make up a wide receiver. 

So I will apologize if I rubbed you wrong, because I love what you bring here Jetblue, but honestly Im generally getting tired of this 40 time sh*t. Amari Cooper was the hands-down favorite when the college season ended. Kevin White runs an unexpected 4.36 40 and suddenly Kevin White is the best f'ing Wideout in the country. Now, he may be, but its not because of the reason that people give him the credit for, which is a 40 time. I just...,I just can't man lol. 

Hey Man we are good.  No apology necessary; you are cool in my book and one of the best posters on JN, imo.  And I hear you on the 40 times; it is getting a bit rediculous, no doubt about that.   

That was the exactly what people were telling me last year to justify picking Marqise lee over beckham. Prospect evaluation doesn't end once the college season is over

That was the exactly what people were telling me last year to justify picking Marqise lee over beckham. Prospect evaluation doesn't end once the college season is over

Excellent point and that is part of what I was getting at in my earlier post.  All of those things matter and shed light on how a players abilities will translate on the next level.  

Archived