NFL : " Mike Maccagnan improves New York Jets with smart offseason " ~ ~ ~

kelly

Making the right call ... not an easy thing to do consistently in an NFL offseason.

Especially for a general manager like Mike Maccagnan, who had many to make in his first few months on the job with the New York Jets. And speaking of, did the team make the right decision when it replaced John Idzik for Maccagnan, the Houston Texans' former director of college scouting?

Maccagnan's predecessor, the much-panned Idzik, certainly didn't do a Grade A job in the fans', the media's and, quite likely, former head coach Rex Ryan's eyes. So Maccagnan didn't necessarily have much to live up to ... starting with the team's not-so-sterling 4-12 record from last season. However, inheriting a four-win team with a quarterback problem and an impatient fan base is no walk in the park. So how has Maccagnan fared thus far?

We can't really judge the Maccagnan hiring until we've had the opportunity to evaluate the long-term results of his reign. But we can assess the moves he's made to date.

Over the next few weeks, we will examine some of the busiest teams this offseason and attempt to answer whether the moves they've made will pay off in the 2015 season.

With that said, what have the Jets done so far?

Front-office changes

The Jets didn't waste any time making major changes at the end of last season, parting ways with Rex Ryan after a six-year stint that included two AFC Championship Game appearances but an overall 46-50 regular-season record. Idzik, just two years into the gig, followed Ryan out the door, leaving a gaping hole in the team's hierarchy.

While Idzik was seen as more of a salary-cap guy, Maccagnan has the personnel chops to build a roster that's as talented on the field as it is on paper. One of Maccagnan's first acts as the Jets' GM was participating in Todd Bowles' second interview. The next day, the team officially hired the reigning AP Assistant Coach of the Year -- certainly not a bad way to kick off your GM tenure.

Bowles fits well with the Jets; he's a well-respected leader who proved with the Cardinals last season that he's one of the game's top defensive minds. The only problem I have with Bowles landing in New York is that he wasn't pursued harder by Atlanta. (In fairness, the Falcons did land a solid head man in Dan Quinn.)

Major re-signings, free-agent additions and trades

Re-signed

David Harris: The Jets paid him a chunk of change considering he's 31, but Harris is solid player who's spent his entire nine-year career with Gang Green. Nice to see guys like this stay with their team.

Signed

Darrelle Revis: The top corner in the league doesn't let anyone score on him (well, except for this old man in the playoffs), and his sequel in New York has already generated the same level of excitement as his first go-round. Revis made quite the name for himself during New York's deep playoff runs in '09 and '10.

Even though he'll be 30 by the start of the 2015 season, and has $39 million in guarantees -- quite the risk by Woody Johnson -- I like the call to bring Revis back.

He's the best player at his position in pro football, forcing teams to basically ignore whatever side of the field he's on. And he is one of the most notable players in Jets history, in the prime of a Hall of Fame career. Signing Joe Namath to a mammoth contract as a rookie was a risk, too. It paid off with the franchise's first and only Super Bowl title.

Antonio Cromartie: Come on, who doesn't like Cromartie's return to New York? A long corner to complement the best in the game. Plus, if "Hard Knocks" decides to feature the Jets again, we get to see Cromartie painfully try to remember all his kids' names again. Win-win.

Buster Skrine: He wasn't phenomenal last year, but I've seen Skrine play well before, especially in spot duty in 2012. Let's face it, he'll be the third corner in this packed secondary, playing the slot and on passing downs. The guaranteed money was a bit high, though.

James Carpenter: Most people remember Carpenter as a draft-day reach, but the former Seahawk started 23 games for Pete Carroll the last two seasons. He has a Super Bowl ring to his name, and while he might not have lived up to his first-round status, it's worth noting that he didn't allow one sack in regular duty last year.

He's getting paid close to $5 million per season and has had his share of injury problems. That said, he's just 26 and has upside.

Marcus Gilchrist: Maybe my least favorite of their acquisitions. New York was in need of a safety, but I'm not sure how much of an impact the fifth-year defensive back will make. He's more like a Brodney Pool-esque, stopgap guy. Certainly not the worst thing to have a versatile veteran presence in the secondary.

Traded For

Brandon Marshall: Loved, loved, loved this acquisition. Marshall is a talented veteran who is still young enough to make plays on third down. He represents a big target for whoever's passing the ball for New York. And as far as the locker room stuff in Chicago ... maybe the Bears needed better leadership from the head coach and quarterback?

Ryan Fitzpatrick: Forgive me, but I really liked the trade for Fitzpatrick. New York only had to give up a late-round conditional pick. This move works on a lot of levels:

a) There is no guarantee Geno Smith takes a step forward this year.
There is no guarantee Marcus Mariota falls to No. 6 overall in the draft.
c) Offensive Coordinator Chan Gailey is quite familiar with Fitzpatrick's strengths and weaknesses from their time together in Buffalo.
d) Few quarterbacks start 16 games anymore. Fitzpatrick is certainly a topflight backup, if not a starter.
e) His 2014 season was far better than you would think ... 17 touchdown passes against just 8 interceptions, and a 95.3 passer rating.

Have the Jets made the right calls?

By and large, the 2014 offseason has been an overwhelming success for Maccagnan and the Jets, if for no other reason than the fact that Woody Johnson has allowed him to bust open the green piggy bank.

Revis got paid a ton, but at this point his contract is more trustworthy than the one we saw the division rival Dolphins give to Ndamukong Suh. We've seen Revis play up to his contract level multiple times. The Cromartie signing further solidifies Todd Bowles' secondary, affording him the freedom to blitz 20 guys on every play. Fitzpatrick provides veteran insurance with some much-needed efficiency. Skrine could play better by virtue of those around him. Harris is the leader of that defense. And then there's Marshall, who, with another former Bronco in Eric Decker, could make life a lot easier for such a young player in Smith.

While not ignoring that the team is still weak at quarterback, when you look at the AFC East overall, there's no reason to think New York isn't a heck of a lot closer to being competitive ... the Bills have as big a QB problem as the Jets ... you can make the argument the Dolphins are the most up-and-down team in the NFL ... and adding Revis, amidst an already strong offseason, not only strengthened themselves but weakened the Patriots.

Thumbs up to Mike Maccagnan.

> http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000483199/article/mike-maccagnan-improves-new-york-jets-with-smart-offseason

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No mention of Bilal Powell signing. The irony is he was one of the two decent moves Maccag made. The other being Fitz.

But yeah other than that you get rare gems of football smarts like these:

Antonio Cromartie: Come on, who doesn't like Cromartie's return to New York? A long corner to complement the best in the game. Plus, if "Hard Knocks" decides to feature the Jets again, we get to see Cromartie painfully try to remember all his kids' names again. Win-win.

No mention of Bilal Powell signing. The irony is he was one of the two decent moves Maccag made. The other being Fitz.

Sorry to have left you out from the "Piss in the Wheaties" club. Let's not consider Revis, Marshall, Skrine, or Cromartie (who is healthy and will contribute). Nah, nothing to see here...

If those are the only two moves you like, you must have loved 2014.

And I am sure in 2014 you must have longed for the Return of Trader Mike and the excitement that comes with it. Building a Championship team is so boring BUT having those 3- 4 days in off season of countless signing's is so exciting.

Sorry to have left you out from the "Piss in the Wheaties" club. Let's not consider Revis, Marshall, Skrine, or Cromartie (who is healthy and will contribute). Nah, nothing to see here...

I do not really understand the unprovoked nature of your attack.  So is there only room for one line of thought in your intellect and anything other than that has to be relentlessly attacked.

At this point, I could ignore you or ask you to GFY!

I won't attack you. So let me just choose to ignore you.

And I am sure in 2014 you must have longed for the Return of Trader Mike and the excitement that comes with it. Building a Championship team is so boring BUT having those 3- 4 days in off season of countless signing's is so exciting.

Powell and Fitzpatrick.  The cornerstones of Championship teams!

Just finished reading that. Nice for Maccagnan to get some recognition for his moves. He has done even more than what was in the article by signing Ijalana and another LB as well as DL and another guard as well. I don't know from what well Big Mac is drawing all this money from but I have nothing but positive feelings about the duo of Bowles and Big Mac.

I do not really understand the unprovoked nature of your attack.  So is there only room for one line of thought in your intellect and anything other than that has to be relentlessly attacked.

At this point, I could ignore you or ask you to GFY!

I won't attack you. So let me just choose to ignore you.

LOL. You should have stopped at "I do not really understand..." If you're a Jets fan, Lord help us.

Nice deflection. But that is all this is, a deflection. Please let me know what off season moves make us a Championship team now. Go on. Elaborate.

Hey, how about you tell us what moves you think Idzik would have made THIS offseason that you are pining for. Were you hoping we were going into April with 50 mil in cap space again or do you think he actually would have signed someone and if so, who and for what price?

Hey, how about you tell us what moves you think Idzik would have made THIS offseason that you are pining for. Were you hoping we were going into April with 50 mil in cap space again or do you think he actually would have signed someone and if so, who and for what price?

Thats going totally off tangent. What does Idzik have to do with this conversation here.

Thats going totally off tangent. What does Idzik have to do with this conversation here.

Umm...

lol, you are joking right? He is joking?  Somebody please tell me he is joking.  Dude no offense but this will not end well for you. 

Nice deflection. But that is all this is, a deflection. Please let me know what off season moves make us a Championship team now. Go on. Elaborate.

Are they better?  Better teams have a better chance to win championships.  Marshall, Revis, Cromartie, Skrine, Fitzpatrick, Carpenter all make this team better.  Waiting for a QB is nice, but I'd rather have a decent team when he gets here.

lol, you are joking right? He is joking? Somebody please tell me he is joking. Dude no offense but this will not end well for you.

So what has maccags done that worthy of being called a genius move. Which of his moves would you grade an A. Which of his moves has made this Championship worthy? Let us know.

Are they better? Better teams have a better chance to win championships. Marshall, Revis, Cromartie, Skrine, Fitzpatrick, Carpenter all make this team better. Waiting for a QB is nice, but I'd rather have a decent team when he gets here.

That was not the question. Question is are they a Championship team. We did blow a great deal of our salary cap load to get to this point. So did that make us a Championship team?

So what has maccags done that worthy of being called a genius move. Which of his moves woukd you grade an A. Which of his moves gas made this Championship worthy? Let us know.

Dude you realize we were 4 and 12 last year?  You have to crawl before you walk;  Championship is not a word I would be using at this point but since you asked.  Here ya go:

Brandon Marshall for a 5th round pick

Total rebuild of our secondary including the best player at his position available

Signing a 26 year old Superbowl Starter to our offensive line about whom Pete Carroll described as having his best football ahead of him.

Adding quality veteran depth on both lines 

Resigning David Harris who is the leader of this defense

Resigning Powell, Babin and Pace (Babin and Pace provides insurance but can be cut with little cap ramifications)

NOT losing a 4th round pick by keeping Percy Harvin

Signing most of those free agents to cap friendly deals that are only have the first or at most 2nd year guaranteed.

Tendered Harrison for 2nd round pick

I think that is pretty good in the space of about 30 days.  And the draft is just a few weeks away.

Are they better?  Better teams have a better chance to win championships.  Marshall, Revis, Cromartie, Skrine, Fitzpatrick, Carpenter all make this team better.  Waiting for a QB is nice, but I'd rather have a decent team when he gets here.

Agree 1000000%.  I don't understand this mentality; football is a team game.  Even the best qbs in the game need help and if you don't have that "franchise qb" you build the best possible team you can.  

Meh. End of the day, the only thing that matters is if he can draft. That's the only thing that will separate him from the last 3 dumpster fires of front offices.

So right now do you feel optimistic about that possibility based on the FA moves, or pessimistic? Of course the draft will be important. But if you can't see that B&M have positioned well for the draft and have left the Jets in a very good position re what's there, I don't know what you're looking at. If they follow that by picking guys we've never heard of, I'll be very very surprised. Idzik simply tanked the draft. It would be hard to match that.

Meh. End of the day, the only thing that matters is if he can draft. That's the only thing that will separate him from the last 3 dumpster fires of front offices.

That is not what the discussion is.  We are talking about what he has done up to this point.  I don't know how anyone can't see the value of what MacCags has done up to this point.

So right now do you feel optimistic about that possibility based on the FA moves, or pessimistic? Of course the draft will be important. But if you can't see that B&M have positioned well for the draft and have left the Jets in a very good position re what's there, I don't know what you're looking at. If they follow that by picking guys we've never heard of, I'll be very very surprised. Idzik simply tanked the draft. It would be hard to match that.

I don't know. I'm concerned about the way some money was spent, but who knows. The only thing that's going to set this franchise up for any long term success is drafting well, so I don't see the point in praising or bitching about anything he has done right now.

That is not what the discussion is. We are talking about what he has done up to this point. I don't know how anyone can't see the value of what MacCags has done up to this point.

I don't know how anyone can't see that you goofballs were going to be over the moon for whatever we did considering the money we were going to have to spend. This is like getting excited over Idzik clearing cap.

The most impressive thing is that nobody's locked in beyond two years except maybe Revis. Landing Revis and not over committing beyond that is all you can ask. I think it was RJF who said its about how he drafts, and that is the Jah's honest truth. Don't **** it up!

He should trade for Rivers. Best way to use the draft this year, buys the organization time and a QB all in one.

Archived