NFL : " Mike Maccagnan improves New York Jets with smart offseason " ~ ~ ~

kelly

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dude you realize we were 4 and 12 last year?  You have to crawl before you walk;  Championship is not a word I would be using at this point but since you asked.  Here ya go:

Brandon Marshall for a 5th round pick

Total rebuild of our secondary including the best player at his position available

Signing a 26 year old Superbowl Starter to our offensive line about whom Pete Carroll described as having his best football ahead of him.

Adding quality veteran depth on both lines 

Resigning David Harris who is the leader of this defense

Resigning Powell, Babin and Pace (Babin and Pace provides insurance but can be cut with little cap ramifications)

NOT losing a 4th round pick by keeping Percy Harvin

Signing most of those free agents to cap friendly deals that are only have the first or at most 2nd year guaranteed.

Tendered Harrison for 2nd round pick

I think that is pretty good in the space of about 30 days.  And the draft is just a few weeks away.

That's what i don't understand. None of this is super impressive.  At the end of the day he had money to spend. He spend it. In some cases not so wisely. So he blew the JETS wad and our best case scenario is a team might win a few games but is not a Super Bowl contender. At the same time he built this team where atleast 4 major signings are around 30 or on the wrong side of it where players tend to lose their edge or have a uphill battle staying on the field.  To top that some have past injury histories. I sincerely hope not, BUT there is a good chance of this team blowing up as well.

Yet the way people fellate him around here one would think he created a Super Bowl contender in one day or 30 days. He is doing nothing more than the original Trader Mike would if he ever had this amount of cap space.

As i said earlier only two of his moves would qualify as good value moves for the team. The backup RB and the backup QB that can start. Besides that i do not find anything extraordinary in what he has accomplished. Far from it.

This is like deja vu all over again from the Cromartie-deal thread. Denver got roasted on a spit in that thread too, but just doesn't know when to climb back under her rock. They must have a few rocks in the Denver area. Could Denver be a Denver fan, perhaps? Certainly not a Jets fan.

Keep inventing your own reality and letting us have view of your intellectual level.

That's what i don't understand. None of this is super impressive.  At the end of the day he had money to spend. He spend it. In some cases not so wisely. So he blew the JETS wad and our best case scenario is a team might win a few games but is not a Super Bowl contender. At the same time he built this team where atleast 4 major signings are around 30 or on the wrong side of it where players tend to lose their edge or have a uphill battle staying on the field.  To top that some have past injury histories. I sincerely hope not, BUT there is a good chance of this team blowing up as well.

Yet the way people fellate him around here one would think he created a Super Bowl contender in one day or 30 days. He is doing nothing more than the original Trader Mike would if he ever had this amount of cap space.

As i said earlier only two of his moves would qualify as good value moves for the team. The backup RB and the backup QB that can start. Besides that i do not find anything extraordinary in what he has accomplished. Far from it.

Dude you are not going from 4-12 to a SuperBowl Contender especially when there were no difference makers at qb available, so I don't what the **** your issue is.  You know what? It is a waste of bandwidth replying to you.  The air in Denver must be really, really thin... 

Nutso.  Gonzo.  Bizarro World stuff here.  Mac may have overpaid a little here and there, but he addressed specific needs on both sides of the ball with smart contracts and has the team lined to draft without pressing or reaching.  Just effin' cray. 

That's what i don't understand. None of this is super impressive. At the end of the day he had money to spend. He spend it. In some cases not so wisely. So he blew the JETS wad and our best case scenario is a team might win a few games but is not a Super Bowl contender. At the same time he built this team where atleast 4 major signings are around 30 or on the wrong side of it where players tend to lose their edge or have a uphill battle staying on the field. To top that some have past injury histories. I sincerely hope not, BUT there is a good chance of this team blowing up as well.

Time to tell us what you would have liked to see Macc do? What did you want to see.

Dude you are not going from 4-12 to a SuperBowl Contender especially when there were no difference makers at qb available, so I don't what the **** your issue is. You know what? It is a waste of bandwidth replying to you. The air in Denver must be really, really thin...

Another one bites the dust after pretending to miss the whole point.

No biggie.

I thought he was a little strong on the guaranteed money for Skrines, and that's it.  So, if Powell and Fitzpatrick were the only good moves, what would you have done differently?  Lay it on us in your infinite contrarian wisdom.  

I thought he was a little strong on the guaranteed money for Skrines, and that's it.  So, if Powell and Fitzpatrick were the only good moves, what would you have done differently?  Lay it on us in your infinite contrarian wisdom.  

I did lay it out somewhere. So you can look back at my posts. I just don't like typing things again and again.

But the real issue here is what has Maccag done that would be described as genius move or deal ? Even his biggest fans implicitly or explicitly admit that he overpaid. Then they go on  a tirade of how it's justified.

So which move he has made that was a genius move ?

As i said before, he had money to spend. He spend it. In some cases not so wisely. So he blew the JETS wad and our best case scenario is a team might win a few games but is not a Super Bowl contender. At the same time he built this team where atleast 4 major signings are around 30 or on the wrong side of it where players tend to lose their edge or have a uphill battle staying on the field. To top that some have past injury histories. I sincerely hope not, BUT there is a good chance of this team blowing up as well. Yet the way people fellate him around here one would think he created a Super Bowl contender in one day or 30 days. He is doing nothing more than the original Trader Mike would if he ever had this amount of cap space.

I did lay it out somewhere. So you can look back at my posts. I just don't like typing things again and again.

But the real issue here is what has Maccag done that would be described as genius move or deal ? Even his biggest fans implicitly or explicitly admit that he overpaid. Then they go on  a tirade of how it's justified.

As i said before, he had money to spend. He spend it. In some cases not so wisely. So he blew the JETS wad and our best case scenario is a team might win a few games but is not a Super Bowl contender. At the same time he built this team where atleast 4 major signings are around 30 or on the wrong side of it where players tend to lose their edge or have a uphill battle staying on the field. To top that some have past injury histories. I sincerely hope not, BUT there is a good chance of this team blowing up as well. Yet the way people fellate him around here one would think he created a Super Bowl contender in one day or 30 days. He is doing nothing more than the original Trader Mike would if he ever had this amount of cap space.

Marshall was a huge move.  Revis even bigger.  Everything else, while not big time news, was very solid and calculated.   According to everything I read here and elsewhere, the contracts give the team flexibility despite the big top line numbers.  We are not locked in to old guys long term -- this is far from the George Allen Redskins.  I like what's been done so far; it has been a well balanced approach.  Where did he go so wrong?   

So what has maccags done that worthy of being called a genius move. Which of his moves would you grade an A. Which of his moves has made this Championship worthy? Let us know.

I get why you liked the Bilal n Fitz moves. But right now, neither one of them is a starter and we still have the draft.

Improving doesn't mean becoming championship worthy. But is this still a 4-12 team, the one he inherited? Not by a long shot. I would say 8-10 win team depending on QB play (Fitz?). If Geno takes a step forward like I expect him to, we'll be in the playoffs. We improved our 2nd biggest weakness (secondary) n turned it into our 2nd biggest strength behind the DL (literally n metaphorically). That's a massive upgrade. Then our QB will be in year 3 n I expect him to play like he did in the last 4 games.

Certainly a huge improvement to the roster (by the virtue of more spending).

I don't know how anyone can't see that you goofballs were going to be over the moon for whatever we did considering the money we were going to have to spend. This is like getting excited over Idzik clearing cap.

I agree to some extent. While I didnt like us paying starter money to 4 guys in the secondary via FA when we had couple of talented CBs coming back this year, the moves are calculated. Cro n Gilchrist have nothing guaranteed beyond 2015. I want Milliner to succeed like we had hoped. That would be a great problem to have in 2016 (cut Cro or trade Milliner?). Shrine is the redundant signing n could have used that cash to bring Iupati. Not totally sold on Carpenter. Harris received maybe an extra maybe 2 mil a year imo.

Dumb moves would have been keeping Percy at 10mil n losing a 4th, picking up Suh for $20mil and trading for Josh Gordon before his suspension and such. Also glad we didn't sign McCown. His 2013 year was an aberration n we already did that experiment with TeBlow.

So yes, money was spent n it needed to. But the most important part is, we spent it without mortgaging the future. I'd like Hets to draft Mariotta. You keep drafting QBs until u find the "Franchise type". I'm ok if we draft a few busts at QB than to draft a few busts at OLB high in the draft.

But the real issue here is what has Maccag done that would be described as genius move or deal ? Even his biggest fans implicitly or explicitly admit that he overpaid. Then they go on a tirade of how it's justified.

You as if we picked up all RBs at 30+ years of age. RBs hit a wall at 30. Not CBs n OL.

Think about this, the Jets have ZERO players on the roster from the 2008, 2009 and 2010 drafts!

That's supposed to be the heart of your team - Gholston the Demarcus Ware, Sanchez the Matt Ryan, Ducasse the Larry Warford, Wilson the DRC.  Wiped out, like one of the team buses drove off a cliff and half the team died and you have to start over.

So Mac came in and in one month we look like an NFL team, finally!  No more movers/mechanics coming in and starting at CB and wide receiver (Philip Adams and Greg Salas).  The home grown cupboard was absolutely ******* bare.  He had to spend money by rule this off season and he got the best CB in the history of the NFL still in his prime, the best wideout we've had in a decade, stopped the embarressment at left guard, added tons of NFL quality depth to both lines, got a 2nd and 3rd quality CB perfectly tailored to the new HC's kind of big nickel and dime defense, left enough room to extend Wilkerson (who he's going to play hardball with and that's fine b/c he has leverage (franchise tag)), and done it without committing more than 2 years to almost every contract but leaving open the option to keep everyone at reasonable prices if they perform.  What the hell else do you realists want him to do!

No he doesn't walk on water but under the circumstances I think it's alright to sit back and feel a bit relieved after the past couple of years, and perhaps reflect that yeah, this guy isn't so bad.  Yes, he paid good money to improve the team but there is a clear plan in place, there will be no reaching to fill holes because needs have been addressed.

Yes - I agree that teeth are cut in the draft and as a low level draftnik it is literally my favorite weekend and I take vacation days from work to watch.  It is the most important day for this GM and THE proving ground.  But I feel his background in personel combined with his as of yet very solid off-season, we have reason to be optimistic.

Keep inventing your own reality and letting us have view of your intellectual level.

I thought you had me on ignore? :) You've set up a straw man and now you're very busy knocking it down and insisting that we all agree with your premise. Truth is that I see no one here arguing for McG or Bowles being "geniuses," or promising an immediate SB. That all part of your phony schtick to create a point of argument. They made smart moves consistent with Bowles' system, they targeted the strengths of FA and have left the door open for a flexible draft that I will bet is heavier on offense where the draft is strong -- particularly WR, RB, and Pass Rusher. Is the build complete? No. But I do have confidence that these guys know what they are doing. That's what many here are saying. We do have a sense of their approach from what they've done so far and it is indeed savvy and professional.

Now you either should step up to the plate and state what you would have done differently -- in specific - or admit that you haven't a clue, which I would suspect is the case based on your many many idiotic responses across multiple threads.

I don't mind having a wait and see approach to rating McCaggnan, but blasting all the moves except Powell and Fitzpatrick?  Powell was basically a non-move.  There are a bunch of different kinds of moves made.  Young guys, old guys, high dollar guys, bargain guys, guaranteed money, no guaranteed money.  Top-level, past their prime, up and coming,  Hating them all is a bit much.  They gave Harris more money than I expected (I knew Harris would get a lot, just didn't think we'd be the ones paying him) and didn't like signing Cromartie.  I was bothered by the Cromartie deal as initially announced, but now that the real parameters are out, I am just lukewarm.  I wanted to give younger players a shot. 

I will be interested to see how many of the guys they have signed are cut.  In particular, the offensive line looks like it will be completely up in the air.  There are some young interesting guys that will have a chance to step up - Aboushi, Winters, Dozier, Sudfeld, Enunwa, Evans, Owusu, Graham, Hakim, Enemkpali, Reilly.  They will probably all disappear, but a change in staffs usually gives guys a chance. 

I thought you had me on ignore? :) You've set up a straw man and now you're very busy knocking it down and insisting that we all agree with your premise. Truth is that I see no one here arguing for McG or Bowles being "geniuses," or promising an immediate SB. That all part of your phony schtick to create a point of argument. They made smart moves consistent with Bowles' system, they targeted the strengths of FA and have left the door open for a flexible draft that I will bet is heavier on offense where the draft is strong -- particularly WR, RB, and Pass Rusher. Is the build complete? No. But I do have confidence that these guys know what they are doing. That's what many here are saying. We do have a sense of their approach from what they've done so far and it is indeed savvy and professional.

Now you either should step up to the plate and state what you would have done differently -- in specific - or admit that you haven't a clue, which I would suspect is the case based on your many many idiotic responses across multiple threads.

Exactly.  No where in the article does it mention "Championship caliber".  This moron keeps pulling that out of his ass.  We all know there is a lot more work to do but we are also smart enough to realize he couldn't address everything in free agency the truth is he probably won't be able to fix all remaining issues in the draft this year.  The dude has been here 3 months and some fools expect miracles; I think most of us are under no illusions because until they get on the field the jury is still out but we are in a 1,000% better position then we were a year ago heading into the draft.  How anyone can complain "we spent too much money on this reserve guard, blah, blah, we not a championship team, wah, wah," like a little bitch... I can't, I just can't.  I wish some posters would grow the **** up already.   Whining like this gives Jets fans a bad name.   

......................... I just don't like typing things again and again....................

LOL!  

So our resident message board broken record doesn't like typing the same things over and over?  Ahahahahaha.  That has to be the most ironic and funniest post of the year.

BrokenRecord.jpg

No, please, lay out for us what you would've done this offseason -so far- that would've transformed this team from 4-12 to a favorite to win the Super Bowl this season. You have no problem repeating that last paragraph over and over again, so why not indulge us with your genius master plan, filled with nothing but genius moves and value contracts.

The same complaint repeated doesn't add to the conversation. What would you have done better?

If you don't want to type it out again, and think it's so easy for us to search your posts, how about you find the post(s) where you laid out your blueprint for going from pretender to contender in just one free agency period and copy and paste them here for us minions.

Thanks.

No, please, lay out for us what you would've done this offseason -so far- that would've transformed this team from 4-12 to a favorite to win the Super Bowl this season. You have no problem repeating that last paragraph over and over again, so why not indulge us with your genius master plan, filled with nothing but genius moves and value contracts.

The same complaint repeated doesn't add to the conversation. What would you have done better?

If you don't want to type it out again, and think it's so easy for us to search your posts, how about you find the post(s) where you laid out your blueprint for going from pretender to contender in just one free agency period and copy and paste them here for us minions.

Thanks.

I am sure you can look it up. If not too bad, so sad.

Also let me know why Maccag's deserves the fellating that he is getting here. What has he done that's out of the ordinary ?

LOL!  

So our resident message board broken record doesn't like typing the same things over and over?  Ahahahahaha.  That has to be the most ironic and funniest post of the year.

BrokenRecord.jpg

Let me know when you stop contradicting your own self. You ran away from one thread because you could not keep your story straight.

Agreed. Wish there had been somebody in FA to get. There wasn't.

true / agreed !..imho, i think the jets r gonna try & get connor cook / qb /Michigan state in

the 2016 draft      :love0040:

cheers ~ ~

:cheer:

They made smart moves consistent with Bowles' system, they targeted the strengths of FA

What smart moves. The overpaying of Cro OR Harris OR even Skrine. Which one was the smartest. He had money to spend and he spent it. Not so wisely in a few instances. I really do not see a GM doing an exceptional job so far. Yeah if he drafts better and get's us better players than i will give him the props. But they have to deserved.

But I do have confidence that these guys know what they are doing. That's what many here are saying.

You can find comfort in numbers. There's nothing wrong with that. But that does not mean it's right.

I don't know how anyone can't see that you goofballs were going to be over the moon for whatever we did considering the money we were going to have to spend. This is like getting excited over Idzik clearing cap.

Your screen name really suits you. You are one miserable mother****er.   

What smart moves. The overpaying of Cro OR Harris OR even Skrine. Which one was the smartest. He had money to spend and he spent it. Not so wisely in a few instances.

You can find comfort in numbers. There's nothing wrong with that. But that does not mean it's right.

I'm not being a dick, but you show your ignorance of how the cap works in this thread. Isn't Cro's guaranteed $ for one season?

Jets only guaranteed money is for the next year or 2. Seasons in which they HAD to spend to hit the 89% floor. Jets were at 81%. Math dictates they would have to spend close to 100% to get to 89%. To hit (or come close to) the floor and not sign Suh type contracts is good GM'ing.

Aren't you a Jets fan? hmmmm....

Reading some stuff on this board makes me want to be a closet Jets fan. Some pretty stupid, and dare I say Madden Football, sh*t comes out of people fingers on this forum.

I am sure you can look it up. If not too bad, so sad.

Also let me know why Maccag's deserves the fellating that he is getting here. What has he done that's out of the ordinary ?

If you honestly believe that Maccagnan's getting fellated for being a genius here, I can only conclude that you've never had a decent blow job. Your complaints have been far more over the top and disproportionate than anyone's praise here. Your unwillingness to offer better options than what Maccagnan's done so far just serves to demonstrate how empty your whining really is.

Archived