NFL : " Mike Maccagnan improves New York Jets with smart offseason " ~ ~ ~

kelly

If you honestly believe that Maccagnan's getting fellated for being a genius here, I can only conclude that you've never had a decent blow job. Your complaints have been far more over the top and disproportionate than anyone's praise here. Your unwillingness to offer better options than what Maccagnan's done so far just serves to demonstrate how empty your whining really is.

Oh Snap!!  Oh no he didn't!

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you honestly believe that Maccagnan's getting fellated for being a genius here, I can only conclude that you've never had a decent blow job. Your complaints have been far more over the top and disproportionate than anyone's praise here. Your unwillingness to offer better options than what Maccagnan's done so far just serves to demonstrate how empty your whining really is.

I would have expected a cheap shot from some of the lesser posters. Not you.

I'm not being a dick, but you show your ignorance of how the cap works in this thread. Isn't Cro's guaranteed $ for one season?

Jets only guaranteed money is for the next year or 2. Seasons in which they HAD to spend to hit the 89% floor. Jets were at 81%. Math dictates they would have to spend close to 100% to get to 89%. To hit (or come close to) the floor and not sign Suh type contracts is good GM'ing.

This is where I am looking for some answers because this is brought up everywhere as an argument

Question. So the JETS had to spend 89% this season. How accurate is that statement.

Question, how much did they have to spend in absolute terms to get to that 89%.

Question, how much did they actually end up spending.

This is where I am looking for some answers because this is brought up everywhere as an argument

Question. So the JETS had to spend 89% this season. How accurate is that statement.

NO.

The Jets need to be at 89% from 2013-2017. They were way below at 81%. They HAVE to spend close to 100% to get that 81% up to 89% over the next 2 seasons.

I did lay it out somewhere. So you can look back at my posts. I just don't like typing things again and again.

But the real issue here is what has Maccag done that would be described as genius move or deal ? Even his biggest fans implicitly or explicitly admit that he overpaid. Then they go on a tirade of how it's justified.

So which move he has made that was a genius move ?

As i said before, he had money to spend. He spend it. In some cases not so wisely. So he blew the JETS wad and our best case scenario is a team might win a few games but is not a Super Bowl contender. At the same time he built this team where atleast 4 major signings are around 30 or on the wrong side of it where players tend to lose their edge or have a uphill battle staying on the field. To top that some have past injury histories. I sincerely hope not, BUT there is a good chance of this team blowing up as well. Yet the way people fellate him around here one would think he created a Super Bowl contender in one day or 30 days. He is doing nothing more than the original Trader Mike would if he ever had this amount of cap space.

You don't want to retype what you think he should have done, yet you've re typed the same drivel 5+ times in this thread alone? Bull spit. You're just a coward that wants to cast blame without putting out your own ideas for fear of criticism.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL

What's not to like?  The Jets were a 4-12 bad team last year.   Are they now shoo in's for the Super Bowl.  C'mon

The reasons they were 4-12 last season is #1 the QB play was awful.  Sadly, Andrew Luck wasn't available.  Fitz was.  He is off a very nice season, He had one of the best years of his career under Gailey, good locker room guy.  No he's not going to win many shoot outs with Brady, but hopefully  they won't be shoot outs.  Excellent signing under the circumstances.  Hopefully Smith can make a quantum leap.  Doubtful

WR.  Decker is an excellent #2, but just can't handle continuing double teams.  Marshall is a top tier WR.  Even injured last yer still had a very good season.  He is highly motivated, and IMO will have a major impact on the team.  The Jets now have a WR corp that has to be game planned for.

G  The interior line play on the Jets was very weak last year, it affected both Mangold's and D'Brick's play covering for them.  I would have preferred one of the top two FA G's, but Roger's Nazi's being in the building the first 2 days of the "legal tampering period"  prevented Macc from offering them contracts.  Plus both guys wanted to stay out west.  Carpenter was a 1st round pick, who was injured his first two years, moved inside, and has played very steady since.  0 sacks last year.  Seems to be an assenting player.  Up graded OL.

CB  A Black Hole last year.  Besides QB the main reason they were 4-12.   Not that way any more.  Cro's contract seems high, but in reality it is a pay as you go deal.  He went to the Pro Bowl last season with this HC.  If he plays at that level again, he gets to see his second paycheck.  If not, the Jets walk away no damage.  And of course there's Revis.  The Jets CB's have gone from being a laughing stock to one of the best in the league again.

Some of the FA's seem to be over paid, but the truth of the matter is, after the 2016  season when the current cap window closes, the jets can walk away from most of these contracts if they aren't working out with little damage cap wise.

Are the Jets a top 4 team?  I don't think so.  I do think they are much, much improved and a legitimate play off contender.  As we found out in 2010 once your in the play offs, anything can happen.

I don't remember to many people saying Macc is a genius, but IMO he has done an excellent job to this point.  We'll see what the draft brings, and how they handle the QB situation.

So far I don't see much not to like

Why are you asking here?  Look it up and tell us. Remember there is a difference between cap spending and cash spending.  The % is based on cash spending.  The cap is a maximum, but the cash spending is where teams have to spend a certain percentage.  That is why they are throwing one and two year bonus money around.

http://overthecap.com/look-cash-spending-nfl-impact-free-agency/

What smart moves. The overpaying of Cro OR Harris OR even Skrine. Which one was the smartest. He had money to spend and he spent it. Not so wisely in a few instances. I really do not see a GM doing an exceptional job so far. Yeah if he drafts better and get's us better players than i will give him the props. But they have to deserved.

The smart move was working with the HC to find players that fit his system.   Yes, he had to spend $$ but he didn't have to spend it on CB's, a vet QB, S (who can play man coverage), and OL.  

The Harris deal looks bad on paper, but let's see how Bowles uses him.   With revis, cro, and skrine Harris may be blitzing every play and never need to cover anyone...ever.  

Today's NFL is all about the QB.   The Jets don't have one but it's not like any were really available unless they wanted to trade #6 pick for Bradford which would have been asinine.    If we still don't have a QB in a couple of years both Macagnan and Bowles will be gone.  RIght now I think Macagnan is doing his best to make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t and at least make the team credible. 

The smart move was working with the HC to find players that fit his system.   Yes, he had to spend $$ but he didn't have to spend it on CB's, a vet QB, S (who can play man coverage), and OL.  

The Harris deal looks bad on paper, but let's see how Bowles uses him.   With revis, cro, and skrine Harris may be blitzing every play and never need to cover anyone...ever.  

Today's NFL is all about the QB.   The Jets don't have one but it's not like any were really available unless they wanted to trade #6 pick for Bradford which would have been asinine.    If we still don't have a QB in a couple of years both Macagnan and Bowles will be gone.  RIght now I think Macagnan is doing his best to make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t and at least make the team credible. 

That was probably a little easier, since it appears that Maccagnan was Bowles hand-picked GM.

SO WR's and CB's just keep getting younger and younger after 30 ? And what about linebackers ?

Didn't say that n you know it. Some WRs n CBs actually reach their peak at or around 30 years of age.

Didn't say that n you know it. Some WRs n CBs actually reach their peak at or around 30 years of age.

eh... you're not the first he has misquoted or distorted.  This Denver fan is chasing his own tail running around in circles here.  He refuses to give Slats a detailed response and he repeats himself to no end, but never really offers anything concrete.  This Denver guy is the quintessential message board troll.  He claims Cro was overpaid but refuses to acknowledge that the Jets are not bound to him beyond this season without any cap hit or other expense to 2016 or beyond.  How is Cro overpaid?  $8 million to be our starter opposite Revis for 2015 while both Milliner and McDougle recover from their nasty injuries.  He's not overpaid for 2015 in the least.  He professes confusion about the spending rules but when informed, fails to reconsider the absurdity of his prior posts.  It's really quite entertaining to read this guy.  Some of the Pats fan trolls could learn a thing or two from him.  

Get lost then.

Derp.

There's some really good posters here. But some people either love to bitch about anything Jets related or they don't know football. I'm as glass is half empty as the next guy. But if you think this Jets off season isnt a good one then you're an idiot and will be called out as such. Idzik leaving all this cap room wasn't necessarily a great thing. Macc has handled it very well.

Derp.

There's some really good posters here. But some people either love to bitch about anything Jets related or they don't know football. I'm as glass is half empty as the next guy. But if you think this Jets off season isnt a good one then you're an idiot and will be called out as such. Idzik leaving all this cap room wasn't necessarily a great thing. Macc has handled it very well.

Excellent post.  The amount of negativity and bitching that goes on here boggles the mind.  I mean we are talking Football, not life and death. This is supposed to be a diversion from all the negativity of everyday life but it seems some folks aren't happy unless they have something to complain about. 

The amount of negativity and bitching that goes on here boggles the mind. 

tumblr_mivq21xjje1row6kfo1_500.gif

You know what? It is a waste of bandwidth replying to you.  The air in Denver must be really, really thin... 

How anyone can complain "we spent too much money on this reserve guard, blah, blah, we not a championship team, wah, wah," like a little bitch...

Your screen name really suits you. You are one miserable mother****er.   

tumblr_mivq21xjje1row6kfo1_500.gif

It is a difference between bitching and replying to individuals who keep complaining about every little thing; but you already knew that and are just trying to be cute rather than add much to the actual discussion.  

I notice you do that a lot; I guess that is your contribution to board... 

It is a difference between bitching and replying to individuals who keep complaining about every little thing; but you already knew that and are just trying to be cute rather than add much to the actual discussion.  

I notice you do that a lot; I guess that is your contribution to board... 

It's the Internet. Lighten the **** up Francis.

Think about this, the Jets have ZERO players on the roster from the 2008, 2009 and 2010 drafts!

That's supposed to be the heart of your team - Gholston the Demarcus Ware, Sanchez the Matt Ryan, Ducasse the Larry Warford, Wilson the DRC.  Wiped out, like one of the team buses drove off a cliff and half the team died and you have to start over.

So Mac came in and in one month we look like an NFL team, finally!  No more movers/mechanics coming in and starting at CB and wide receiver (Philip Adams and Greg Salas).  The home grown cupboard was absolutely ******* bare.  He had to spend money by rule this off season and he got the best CB in the history of the NFL still in his prime, the best wideout we've had in a decade, stopped the embarressment at left guard, added tons of NFL quality depth to both lines, got a 2nd and 3rd quality CB perfectly tailored to the new HC's kind of big nickel and dime defense, left enough room to extend Wilkerson (who he's going to play hardball with and that's fine b/c he has leverage (franchise tag)), and done it without committing more than 2 years to almost every contract but leaving open the option to keep everyone at reasonable prices if they perform.  What the hell else do you realists want him to do!

No he doesn't walk on water but under the circumstances I think it's alright to sit back and feel a bit relieved after the past couple of years, and perhaps reflect that yeah, this guy isn't so bad.  Yes, he paid good money to improve the team but there is a clear plan in place, there will be no reaching to fill holes because needs have been addressed.

Yes - I agree that teeth are cut in the draft and as a low level draftnik it is literally my favorite weekend and I take vacation days from work to watch.  It is the most important day for this GM and THE proving ground.  But I feel his background in personel combined with his as of yet very solid off-season, we have reason to be optimistic.

" ...the Jets have ZERO players on the roster from the 2008, 2009 and 2010 drafts !... "

:blowup:

I am thankful we did not reach for Bradford and went the Fitz route. Makes more sense in the interim. That's why i liked the move.

As far as Harris deal is concerned i betcha when he was given his first extension something similar was said as well. The truth is Harris while being a solid player all around is not super exceptional at any part of the game and that includes blitzing.

I really hope that we are not that team that turns around the guys at the top every 2 years. Because that's not how you end up with successful franchises. That's why i was hoping that both Bowles and Maccagnan were exceptional at their job's. And in all fairness i have to see how Maccag's draft but the way he has gone about FA tells me he is just another run of the mill guy. SO yeah if the draft is stellar I will reserve the right to change my opinion on him BUT as it stands right now the new GM is the same as the old, old GM and that's very disappointing.

You don't want to retype what you think he should have done, yet you've re typed the same drivel 5+ times in this thread alone? Bull spit. You're just a coward that wants to cast blame without putting out your own ideas for fear of criticism.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He loves Idzik like SAR likes Sanchez, I just dismiss his comments. 

I think cimini tweeted or whatever that the jets are all set on spending so we should all just forget about it

I am thankful we did not reach for Bradford and went the Fitz route. Makes more sense in the interim. That's why i liked the move.

As far as Harris deal is concerned i betcha when he was given his first extension something similar was said as well. The truth is Harris while being a solid player all around is not super exceptional at any part of the game and that includes blitzing.

I really hope that we are not that team that turns around the guys at the top every 2 years. Because that's not how you end up with successful franchises. That's why i was hoping that both Bowles and Maccagnan were exceptional at their job's. And in all fairness i have to see how Maccag's draft but the way he has gone about FA tells me he is just another run of the mill guy. SO yeah if the draft is stellar I will reserve the right to change my opinion on him BUT as it stands right now the new GM is the same as the old, old GM and that's very disappointing.

harris is  " right " for us...on the field & " in the locker room "    :winking0001:  

So what, specifically, would you have done differently?  What ILB in free agency would you have tried to sign instead of David Harris, because we don't have a replacement for him on the roster?  What free CBs would you have pursued, knowing that Milliner and perhaps McDougle as well, will not be ready to start the season?  Which FS would you have gone after, considering we need to move Pryor to SS,  the position he played in college and was drafted to play here? We all saw how bad he was pretending to be a FS last season.  What are your alternatives and how much would you have spent?  Also, if your alternate acquisitions would have been way less expensive, please let us know how the talent in your choices matches up with what Mac did.  If those alternatives of yours would have been less costly, then what else would you have done to satisfy the spending floor?  Thanks in advance.

Archived