Why I Support Picking Mariota

varjet

I thought alot about this.  There are pros and cons.

• If Maccagnan and Co. believe Mariota can be an upgrade at QB and take them to the playoffs over the next 5 years (taking this year as a red shirt year), they have to pick him.  If the Jets pass on him and he turns out to be a GOOD QB, the fans will fry the GM.  If they pick him and he flops, I think the fans give him a pass because he tried.
  • I wonder if this is the plan, given hiring Chan Gailey, and OC who coaches the Spread Offense.
  • I do not believe that Woody Johnson is in the Championship building business.  I believe that he is in the ticket sales business.  He likes to meddle, and he will push this agenda.   New Heisman winning QB will sell PSLs.
  • We all have seen picks at the top of the 1st round bust.  I don't like Cooper, Ray or Gregory at 6.  Cooper is no OBJ-he will be a good NFL receiver, but he lacks the explosiveness you would like see at 6.   Gregory reminds me of Dion Jordan, and is a pothead.  Ray doesn't thrill me either.  If Mariota is there at 6, the Jets have to take him, unless they have a scouting report that proves that he will not be a good NFL QB (and then pray that he does not become one).
  • Of the 12 playoff QBs last year, almost all of them were high 1st round draft picks.  Almost all playoff teams had a top NFL QB.  It is what you need to compete at the highest level, generally.
  • The Jets spent alot of money this off season, which they had, to make the team better.  I would think, hope and pray that they are better than 4-12 next year, and they will be picking lower.  This could be the year to get a QB.  It could also be worth trading up.  They can get LBs and RBs where they pick next year.
  • I do think teams are valuing QBs more, and they will be picked higher than they used to be.  Tom Brady in the 6th round will be harder to achieve.  Teams will take chances in higher rounds.  But the Bengals picked Dalton, and Eagles Foles, and the Cowboys Romo, in lower rounds.  It is doable.  
  • If they don't get Mariota, they definitely have to take an educated chance on a QB or two every year until they find one.  This will consume alot of resources.  They need a coach specifically focused on QB development (in addition to the QB coach).  As much as he seems like a nice guy, I wonder at this point if Matt Simms really is worth a roster spot.  Someone with upside should be there.  

The cost to acquire Mariota is simply too high for a team in our position for a player with as limited experience/results in a Pro-style Offense and whose skill set is not as broad and elite as a elite-talent would be.

As I see it.

I would have to look at the value chart.  Moving to 2 would be very expensive.  What would it take to move to 5?

I thought the piece on Tennessee's roster was very interesting.  They drafted as badly as the Jets, except they wrote some bad contracts and have less cap room.  They probably could use the draft picks, particularly if Whisenhunt does not want a spread QB.  My guess is that Tennessee would trade down.

I think its worth something to trade up, but probably not as much as the chart would indicate.

I am not saying I am in love with the guy, but the choice is to get MM this year and try to have a competitive QB next year, or basically stick with what we have plus whomever we can sign next year.  From where I see it, MM is our best shot in the next two years to get a QB who could be very good.    

But this also depends on what the scouts think of the other players.  MM had good coaching and players around him.  If they thought a QB picked in a lower round could be developed, throwing them into the mix could work, if developed.

There was a time when Geno Smith, a spread qb in college, was projected to be picked very high, if not first.  So was Teddy Bridgewater.  You never know how this will turn out.

• Of the 12 playoff QBs last year, almost all of them were high 1st round draft picks.  Almost all playoff teams had a top NFL QB.  It is what you need to compete at the highest level, generally.

odds are, statistically speaking, as a general rule, when you are picking this high, try for a QB.  Even if they take another player, this team has improved to where if the plan goes well, next year they will be picking in the teens, and then the 20's, and so on

take one while you are in the neighborhood

<p>

I thought alot about this. There are pros and cons.

• If Maccagnan and Co. believe Mariota can be an upgrade at QB and take them to the playoffs over the next 5 years (taking this year as a red shirt year), they have to pick him. If the Jets pass on him and he turns out to be a GOOD QB, the fans will fry the GM. If they pick him and he flops, I think the fans give him a pass because he tried.
  • I wonder if this is the plan, given hiring Chan Gailey, and OC who coaches the Spread Offense.
  • I do not believe that Woody Johnson is in the Championship building business. I believe that he is in the ticket sales business. He likes to meddle, and he will push this agenda. New Heisman winning QB will sell PSLs.
  • We all have seen picks at the top of the 1st round bust. I don't like Cooper, Ray or Gregory at 6. Cooper is no OBJ-he will be a good NFL receiver, but he lacks the explosiveness you would like see at 6. Gregory reminds me of Dion Jordan, and is a pothead. Ray doesn't thrill me either. If Mariota is there at 6, the Jets have to take him, unless they have a scouting report that proves that he will not be a good NFL QB (and then pray that he does not become one).
  • Of the 12 playoff QBs last year, almost all of them were high 1st round draft picks. Almost all playoff teams had a top NFL QB. It is what you need to compete at the highest level, generally.
  • The Jets spent alot of money this off season, which they had, to make the team better. I would think, hope and pray that they are better than 4-12 next year, and they will be picking lower. This could be the year to get a QB. It could also be worth trading up. They can get LBs and RBs where they pick next year.
  • I do think teams are valuing QBs more, and they will be picked higher than they used to be. Tom Brady in the 6th round will be harder to achieve. Teams will take chances in higher rounds. But the Bengals picked Dalton, and Eagles Foles, and the Cowboys Romo, in lower rounds. It is doable.
  • If they don't get Mariota, they definitely have to take an educated chance on a QB or two every year until they find one. This will consume alot of resources. They need a coach specifically focused on QB development (in addition to the QB coach). As much as he seems like a nice guy, I wonder at this point if Matt Simms really is worth a roster spot. Someone with upside should be there.

And you don't think the GM will get fried by the fans for taking a QB who's gonna ride the bench all year long? do you think Brandon Marshall's gonna be cool with that? How would the NY media respond to a qb controversy b/t fitz and geno while also adding Mariota who won't see the field for years? You think that would go over well ?

I don't remember the fans giving Sanchez, Rex and Tanny a pass....or Idzik and Geno

Trading up is a horrible idea because this team needs young skill position talent infused and the 5th and 6th rounders are gone. Trade down or stay put and get Fowler, Cooper or Scherff

And you don't think the GM will get fried by the fans for taking a QB who's gonna ride the bench all year long? do you think Brandon Marshall's gonna be cool with that? How would the NY media respond to a qb controversy b/t fitz and geno while also adding Mariota who won't see the field for years? You think that would go over well ?

Thanks for listing everything a competent GM should NOT be thinking about when making the decision to draft or not draft a QB.

I don't remember the fans giving Sanchez, Rex and Tanny a pass....or Idzik and Geno

Trading up is a horrible idea because this team needs young skill position talent infused and the 5th and 6th rounders are gone. Trade down or stay put and get Fowler, Cooper or Scherff

I don't give Sanchez a pass for being a turnover machine and a backup caliber QB.

However, I definitely DO give a pass to the Jets regime at the time for taking a shot, trading up, and drafting him. It was the right decision... even with hindsight.

Marcus Mariota might not pan out, but it WILL be the right decision to trade up and get him of the cost is anything but ridiculous. A team does not get in the vicinity of a top 5 pick very often. When you have a chance, take it.

My opinion, don't trade up to #2. If TEN drafts him, so be it. Trade up to #3, #4, or #5.

The cost to acquire Mariota is simply too high for a team in our position for a player with as limited experience/results in a Pro-style Offense and whose skill set is not as broad and elite as a elite-talent would be.

As I see it.

Why? I think it is quite likely he is there at 6. The Jets are probably the 2nd best place for him to go as well. No reason for him to start year one, and Gailey is perfect to develop him. If Geno blossoms, you have a Brees/Rivers situation except hopefully Geno is not hurt, and you can trade Mariota likely for a first. If Geno falters, Fitz finishes the year, and Mariota is heir apparent in 2016. I see no downside in taking Mariota. I do not see Whisenhunt taking him, nor Washington because of Snyder and it is ultra prohibitive to trade up. Mariota is a spread guy and these guys are always slotted early but slide. Plus I think the Jets like him. All this buzz about him going early won't pan out in my view. 

I don't give Sanchez a pass for being a turnover machine and a backup caliber QB.

However, I definitely DO give a pass to the Jets regime at the time for taking a shot, trading up, and drafting him. It was the right decision... even with hindsight.

Marcus Mariota might not pan out, but it WILL be the right decision to trade up and get him of the cost is anything but ridiculous. A team does not get in the vicinity of a top 5 pick very often. When you have a chance, take it.

My opinion, don't trade up to #2. If TEN drafts him, so be it. Trade up to #3, #4, or #5.

Rex made him that. Rex is death to QBs.  Rex damaged Geno too. 

I thought alot about this.  There are pros and cons.

• If Maccagnan and Co. believe Mariota can be an upgrade at QB and take them to the playoffs over the next 5 years (taking this year as a red shirt year), they have to pick him.  If the Jets pass on him and he turns out to be a GOOD QB, the fans will fry the GM.  If they pick him and he flops, I think the fans give him a pass because he tried.
  • I do not believe that Woody Johnson is in the Championship building business.  I believe that he is in the ticket sales business.  He likes to meddle, and he will push this agenda.   New Heisman winning QB will sell PSLs.
  • We all have seen picks at the top of the 1st round bust.  I don't like Cooper, Ray or Gregory at 6.  Cooper is no OBJ-he will be a good NFL receiver, but he lacks the explosiveness you would like see at 6.   Gregory reminds me of Dion Jordan, and is a pothead.  Ray doesn't thrill me either.  If Mariota is there at 6, the Jets have to take him, unless they have a scouting report that proves that he will not be a good NFL QB (and then pray that he does not become one).
  • The Jets spent alot of money this off season, which they had, to make the team better.  I would think, hope and pray that they are better than 4-12 next year, and they will be picking lower.  This could be the year to get a QB.  It could also be worth trading up.  They can get LBs and RBs where they pick next year.
  • I do think teams are valuing QBs more, and they will be picked higher than they used to be.  Tom Brady in the 6th round will be harder to achieve.  Teams will take chances in higher rounds.  But the Bengals picked Dalton, and Eagles Foles, and the Cowboys Romo, in lower rounds.  It is doable.  
  • If they don't get Mariota, they definitely have to take an educated chance on a QB or two every year until they find one.  This will consume alot of resources.  They need a coach specifically focused on QB development (in addition to the QB coach).  As much as he seems like a nice guy, I wonder at this point if Matt Simms really is worth a roster spot.  Someone with upside should be there.  

there isn't an ounce of logic in this whole thing.

If we pass on him and he's successful somewhere else OUR GM will get roasted... but if we DO draft him and he's a bust the fans will give the GM a pass because "He Tried".??????? yup That's how NY football works.

How about we don't take him and still land a 10 year starter at another position with the 6th pick instead??? If that a possibility?

My favorite part was your 3rd point... you basically make the point why Mariota should not be drafted by us. It would just be a stunt to sell tickets by our loser owner.  

My God every point is horrible. I feel like such a dick by blowing this up, but I keep reading back again and it just gets worse.

"The Jets spent alot of money this off season, which they had, to make the team better.  I would think, hope and pray that they are better than 4-12 next year, and they will be picking lower.  This could be the year to get a QB.  It could also be worth trading up.  They can get LBs and RBs where they pick next year."

WHAT???? What do these words mean when strung together like this? This is the year to get a QB because we have a top 10 pick? The year to get a QB is when there is at least 1 elite prospect at the position available. Not just because your team sucked and ended up with  top pick. We had 2 top 20 picks in 2013 including #9. Should we have taken EJ Manuel or Geno Smith there??  

Taking Mariota would be a huge temptation at #6, because it will energize the fan base in a way that Geno and Fitz will never do. Especially the droves of fans who know very little about football... like you. I get it. But considering trading up for this kid is beyond absurd.

When you hit the reset button the way Woody did in January, and your fan base suffers through a 3 or 4 win season and lands a top 10 pick, you need a game changing long term starter with that pick. Shane Ray has everything you look for in a top 10 pick. He fills a MAJOR need for us, he plays a premium position (edge rusher) he has shown rock solid character off the field, he was very productive in school, and he was durable. On top of all of that he was a college teammate of Richardson who is one year removed from DROY. That can not only help Ray's transition into the pros, but might actually help us sign #91 to an extension when the time comes.

Oh, and welcome to the board!!

If we pass on him and he's successful somewhere else OUR GM will get roasted... but if we DO draft him and he's a bust the fans will give the GM a pass because "He Tried".??????? yup That's how NY football works.

How about we don't take him and still land a 10 year starter at another position with the 6th pick instead??? If that a possibility?

My favorite part was your 3rd point... you basically make the point why Mariota should not be drafted by us. It would just be a stunt to sell tickets by our loser owner.

My God every point is horrible. I feel like such a dick by blowing this up, but I keep reading back again and it just gets worse.

"The Jets spent alot of money this off season, which they had, to make the team better. I would think, hope and pray that they are better than 4-12 next year, and they will be picking lower. This could be the year to get a QB. It could also be worth trading up. They can get LBs and RBs where they pick next year."

WHAT???? What do these words mean when strung together like this? This is the year to get a QB because we have a top 10 pick? The year to get a QB is when there is at least 1 elite prospect at the position available. Not just because your team sucked and ended up with top pick. We had 2 top 20 picks in 2013 including #9. Should we have taken EJ Manuel or Geno Smith there??

Taking Mariota would be a huge temptation at #6, because it will energize the fan base in a way that Geno and Fitz will never do. Especially the droves of fans who know very little about football... like you. I get it. But considering trading up for this kid is beyond absurd.

When you hit the reset button the way Woody did in January, and your fan base suffers through a 3 or 4 win season and lands a top 10 pick, you need a game changing long term starter with that pick. Shane Ray has everything you look for in a top 10 pick. He fills a MAJOR need for us, he plays a premium position (edge rusher) he has shown rock solid character off the field, he was very productive in school, and he was durable. On top of all of that he was a college teammate of Richardson who is one year removed from DROY. That can not only help Ray's transition into the pros, but might actually help us sign #91 to an extension when the time comes.

This guy is my hero and savior. Everything that I wanted to type but was to lazy to do so.

If we pass on him and he's successful somewhere else OUR GM will get roasted... but if we DO draft him and he's a bust the fans will give the GM a pass because "He Tried".??????? yup That's how NY football works.

My favorite part was your 3rd point... you basically make the point why Mariota should not be drafted by us. It would just be a stunt to sell tickets by our loser owner.  

"The Jets spent alot of money this off season, which they had, to make the team better.  I would think, hope and pray that they are better than 4-12 next year, and they will be picking lower.  This could be the year to get a QB.  It could also be worth trading up.  They can get LBs and RBs where they pick next year."

WHAT???? What do these words mean when strung together like this? This is the year to get a QB because we have a top 10 pick? The year to get a QB is when there is at least 1 elite prospect at the position available. Not just because your team sucked and ended up with  top pick. We had 2 top 20 picks in 2013 including #9. Should we have taken EJ Manuel or Geno Smith there??  

Taking Mariota would be a huge temptation at #6, because it will energize the fan base in a way that Geno and Fitz will never do. Especially the droves of fans who know very little about football... like you. I get it. But considering trading up for this kid is beyond absurd.

When you hit the reset button the way Woody did in January, and your fan base suffers through a 3 or 4 win season and lands a top 10 pick, you need a game changing long term starter with that pick. Shane Ray has everything you look for in a top 10 pick. He fills a MAJOR need for us, he plays a premium position (edge rusher) he has shown rock solid character off the field, he was very productive in school, and he was durable. On top of all of that he was a college teammate of Richardson who is one year removed from DROY. That can not only help Ray's transition into the pros, but might actually help us sign #91 to an extension when the time comes.

Finally.. someone with some sense

Thanks for all the comments. The thread was probably mis-titled-it should have been why I think we will pick Mariota.

It seems that the consensus is that he would be a bad pick at 6 or above. I do recall many Mock Drafts picking the Jets to take Geno in the first round of 2013. Maybe Mariota does slide all the way down to Round 2, but even Manziel got picked in Round 1 last year.

We shall see, but if we do see the Jets pick him, it will be because of the "logic" I described. We cannot forget the Woody meddling factor-that could large if MM is there at 6.

Personally, I like Fowler or White at 6. I also think this is a good year to trade down.

I only support picking mariota if it means we're getting multiple first rd picks from philly.

That'd be the interesting scenario, imo. The Jets drafting him and then playing chicken with Philly and/or Cleveland by dangling him. Worst case scenario is you have a shiny developmental prospect QB on your hands. Best case scenario, you've fleeced a team that's going to force-feed Mariota into their starting lineup for a resultant high 2016 first rounder-plus.

That'd be the interesting scenario, imo. The Jets drafting him and then playing chicken with Philly and/or Cleveland by dangling him. Worst case scenario is you have a shiny developmental prospect QB on your hands. Best case scenario, you've fleeced a team that's going to force-feed Mariota into their starting lineup for a resultant high 2016 first rounder-plus.

No. That's not the worst case. The worst case is that you're stuck with yet another Heisman-winning QB who is an NFL bust, and you have wasted yet another 1st-round pick.

odds are, statistically speaking, as a general rule, when you are picking this high, try for a QB.  Even if they take another player, this team has improved to where if the plan goes well, next year they will be picking in the teens, and then the 20's, and so on

take one while you are in the neighborhood

I just don't see how so many others don't clearly see this.  

This is a league of have's and have nots - If you have a franchise QB you're in contention for over a decade...if you don't you're drafting in the top 10 every few years.

Is Mariotta a risk - sure - but if he pans out it's franchise changing.  You take that chance every opportunity you can...

No. That's not the worst case. The worst case is that you're stuck with yet another Heisman-winning QB who is an NFL bust, and you have wasted yet another 1st-round pick.

Lets make sure I understand what your saying?   The only reason you think Mariota will be a bust is because he won the Heisman?  yea, thats some good logic there.

Lets make sure I understand what your saying?   The only reason you think Mariota will be a bust is because he won the Heisman?  yea, thats some good logic there.

He also reminds me of Vinny. I was living in Orlando at the time the Bucs drafted him. He did about as well in his bowl game as Mariota did in the playoffs. I think Mariota's career could very well parallel Vinny's.

And yes, with the very long history of Heisman-winning QB's who became NFL busts, I do think winning a Heisman as a QB is a very good predictor of NFL failure.

Thanks for all the comments. The thread was probably mis-titled-it should have been why I think we will pick Mariota.

It seems that the consensus is that he would be a bad pick at 6 or above. I do recall many Mock Drafts picking the Jets to take Geno in the first round of 2013. Maybe Mariota does slide all the way down to Round 2, but even Manziel got picked in Round 1 last year.

We shall see, but if we do see the Jets pick him, it will be because of the "logic" I described. We cannot forget the Woody meddling factor-that could large if MM is there at 6.

Personally, I like Fowler or White at 6. I also think this is a good year to trade down.

It's fine if you support picking him. It's not an exact science. Maybe he comes out the gates and dominates the league for 15 years. Honestly, no one knows.

But don't back off your stand. You titled this "why I support" not "why I think". That's two different things completely. Honestly "I think" we will draft him too if he slips to us. But I certainly don't support it.

There are a few weeks until the draft. If you want to campaign for your guy.... Do it. Thats the point of these fan message boards. But stick to your guns. You want him, you think it's the right move to take him top 10, and you think a hiesman QB is a step in the right direction for us. Own it.

As I see it.

You're not alone. My God this has all the makings of another Sanchez ! IF Mariota Is available at #6 yeah if they want to grab him no problem. I DON'T want us to chase him. He's NOT Andrew Luck.

Archived