Why I Support Picking Mariota

varjet

Gotta love some of the reasoning here. Draft him because he's (allegedly) projected to go in the first? Haven't we been here before?

Game film anyone? The guy lobs it up to open receivers.

How many of these running QBs are worth a damn? The book is out on Kaepernick. Vick might be the most overrated QB of all time. IT.DOESN'T.TRANSLATE.

Taking Mariota would be a mistake.  He never played in a NFL style offense.  Same situation as we have with Geno Smith.  This team still needs some OL, #3 WR, and #2RB help.  I would rather see us fill some holes.  There are plenty of first round QBs who have been absolute busts.  Sanchez never played to his expectations.  Mariota could wind up being the next Jamarcus Russell or Matt Leinart.

Mariota would be a good pick in rounds 2-4, where developmental QBs with lots of physical ability are typically selected. At that point in the draft, he's worth the risk.

At #6 overall, picking him is madness. That's where you pick players who either start right away, or need half a season before they're ready.

It all depends on their private work out. If he really blew them away then they should take him at 6 if he is there and entertain "possibly" moving up but not mortgage the future to do so. Otherwise it's either BPA or attempt to trade down. 

Unless Mariota falls into their lap at six, the Jets should not get into the trade up market. This isn't Draft Day everyone where some "hero" GM immediately "fixes" his team with magical trades. Mariota seems to be one of those QB's that no one really has a handle on as far as if he will be above average or great. He has a pretty high bust factor and I think the Jets can get a good one - Bryce Petty or Garrett Grayson - in the second or third round. As I have said, if he falls to six you take him because you can't afford not to. To give away picks in a draft where you only have five picks is risky.

Taking Mariota would be a mistake.  He never played in a NFL style offense.  Same situation as we have with Geno Smith.  This team still needs some OL, #3 WR, and #2RB help.  I would rather see us fill some holes.  There are plenty of first round QBs who have been absolute busts.  Sanchez never played to his expectations.  Mariota could wind up being the next Jamarcus Russell or Matt Leinart.

The difference being Geno Smith is a dumbass who can't even recognize a max blitz. I think Mariota can be developed into something much better than Geno. Plus, look who Geno had teaching him. David freakin Lee and Mornhinweg who was NEVER noted as a QB developer - and he was handicapped with Rex as HC. Too much to overcome for Geno, but Marcus could fall into a great situation here.

The cost to acquire Mariota is simply too high for a team in our position for a player with as limited experience/results in a Pro-style Offense and whose skill set is not as broad and elite as a elite-talent would be.

As I see it.

Funny to me how everyone makes the assumption jets are a pro style offense

I just don't see how so many others don't clearly see this.  

This is a league of have's and have nots - If you have a franchise QB you're in contention for over a decade...if you don't you're drafting in the top 10 every few years.

Is Mariotta a risk - sure - but if he pans out it's franchise changing.  You take that chance every opportunity you can...

I completely agree.  You need a franchise QB to be a competitive every year to have a chance to win a Super Bowl.  We gave Sanchez 4 years.  Geno had two years.  The Jets need to keep drafting QB's until they strike gold.  It's not every year that a team has a chance to draft in the top 10.  If they think Mariotta is a franchise QB, they will trade up to get him. 

I've watched him plenty and I like what I've seen. I think you're exaggerating.

Go to YouTube and look at any of his highlight reels. 95% of his TD passes are lobs to WRs who smoked the DBs off the LOS. He is in no way shape or form an NFL QB. He's perfect for Madden, not the NFL.

Mariota needs time to be groomed.  He is NOT a day 1 starter on any team other than Philly.  He has the raw tools but has spent too much time throwing either ridiculously short passes or to receivers who are unrealistically wide open by NFL standards.

Having said that, I think he can eventually be good and the "Aaron Rodgers treatment" would do him well even if it is a mediocre QB ahead of him in year 1.  Give him a redshirt year of NFL practice, film study and gameplanning.  And year 2 will basically be his rookie year.  There is a chance he's so mechanical that he never adjusts.  Nobody really knows what this guy is made of because he wasn't challenged often in that system.

Jameis Winston, on the other hand, is a year 1 starter.  His command of the pro style offense seems very developed for a rookie.  Whether or not he'll actually be good remains to be seen though.  He throws some very risky passes.

Mariota has a higher ceiling but Winston has a higher floor.

Mariota needs time to be groomed. He is NOT a day 1 starter on any team other than Philly. He has the raw tools but has spent too much time throwing either ridiculously short passes or to receivers who are unrealistically wide open by NFL standards.

Having said that, I think he can eventually be good and the "Aaron Rodgers treatment" would do him well even if it is a mediocre QB ahead of him in year 1. Give him a redshirt year of NFL practice, film study and gameplanning. And year 2 will basically be his rookie year.

While I agree with a lot of this, you don't spend the #6 pick on a player like this. #26 maybe.

That'd be the interesting scenario, imo. The Jets drafting him and then playing chicken with Philly and/or Cleveland by dangling him. Worst case scenario is you have a shiny developmental prospect QB on your hands. Best case scenario, you've fleeced a team that's going to force-feed Mariota into their starting lineup for a resultant high 2016 first rounder-plus.

Kelly wants mariota. He is not dumb enough to think Bradford isn't done.

Archived