NFL's hires first full-time female ref

Sperm Edwards

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/04/03/nfl-female-official-sarah-thomas

Report: NFL hires first full-time female official

The NFL is hiring Sarah Thomas as its first female official, according to multiple media reports.

A source told the Los Angeles Times that the NFL informed current officials that seven men and one woman were selected as new hires for the 2015 season. All of them will have to pass physical exams first.

The news of Thomas' hiring was first reported by Aaron Wilson of the Baltimore Sun. The league hired the eight new officials because four from the 2014 season decided to retire. Four of the new hires will be considered "floaters" and not assigned to a specific crew.

The NFL has not officially confirmed the new hires and it is unknown if Thomas will be assigned to a permanent crew or not.

Being the first woman to officiate at different levels is not new for Thomas.

She worked for Conference USA in 2007 and in 2009 became the first woman to officiate a bowl game.

She has been in the NFL's Officiating Development program and worked a preseason game last season.

"I set out to do this and get involved in officiating not having any idea that there were not any females officiating football," Thomas told NFL Network in 2014. "Being a former basketball player, you saw female officiating all the time. So, no, I don't feel like a pioneer."

Thomas was born in Pascagoula, Mississippi. She played basketball in college at the University of Mobile. After school, she played on a men's team in a church league.

Thomas began her refereeing career in 1999 at the high-school level. Gerald Austin invited Thomas to attend an officials' camp, where he was impressed by her performance and Conference USA hired Thomas in 2007. In 2011, she was the first female referee to work in a Big Ten stadium.

A woman did work a game in 2012, when Shannon Eastin served as a replacement ref when the NFL locked out its officials.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Inevitable, but I still hate this.

I hate female sideline reporters.  I hate females on NFL Live.  And yes I hate Sportscenter anchors.

It's like having a guy be the pitchman for tampons.

I hate commentators, journalists, and reporters of all races so I'm with you 

I hate female sideline reporters. I hate females on NFL Live. And yes I hate Sportscenter anchors.

Females suck right? ******* suck. I was thinking about punching my girl in the elevator yesterday but I wanted to be original.

I hate female sideline reporters.  I hate females on NFL Live.  And yes I hate Sportscenter anchors.

Sideline reporters are pointless weather they are male or female.

Nice to see the SJW contingent out in force.

In before "yelling that her calls suck is sexist and gender hatred".

I think we should all be more interested in when the NFL will finally add it's first Transgender Gay Black Transfeminist Genderqueer Female Head Coach? 

Isn't it time?

I think we should all be more interested in when the NFL will finally add it's first Transgender Gay Black Transfeminist Genderqueer Female Head Coach? 

Isn't it time?

Good Post. Of course the talking heads that cover the NFL and sports in general will take the PC approach and act like they are excited about it, because if they say one negative comment they will be suspended or lose their job.  Then of course the sexist charge will be used as soon as someone is critical of her game calls or job performance.

This is a thread about the first female official in the NFL.  You might not believe this but we still don;t allow religious talk or political talk here.  If you can;t discuss this without over stepping the rules then go to another thread.  Thanks.  

This is a thread about the first female official in the NFL.  You might not believe this but we still don;t allow religious talk or political talk here.  If you can;t discuss this without over stepping the rules then go to another thread.  Thanks.  

Respectfully my friend, the only reason this is a news story is the Socio-Political ramifications.

If it wasn't, the response would be universally "ok...and?"

Isn't it time?

yesjacknicholson.gif

And a few posters got their panties in a bunch because I said something was retarded.

That was you? You effing Donkey! Man oh man do I regret responding to that thread. My panties weren't in a bunch...just thought Id shed some light on how some feel about the word.

As far as the female ref is concerned...This reeks of the NFL playing CYA with the court of public opinion. "Hey, look at us, we support womens workplace equality. Now excuse us while we approve this Greg Hardy contract for our cash-cow-Cowboys."

you'd rather watch a bunch of balding fat men talk? you gay?

Archived