After Much Consideration, Now Leaning toward Schreff at 6 or Trade down

JetBlue

We really have so many different directions we can go in to improve the team.

I'd be happy with Cooper, White, Schreff, Mariota (if Mac, Bowles and Gailey are sold on him).....all would be fine choices.

I really am starting to like the thought of adding a pass rusher though. When we had a dominant secondary we never had the line to compliment them. Then we developed and drafted the line, but we lost the secondary. Now we have the line and the secondary......if we can add a pass rusher......watch out!!!

I don't know a lot about the prospects, but if there is an Aldon Smith type talent, he would boost this D to the next level, easily top 5 IMO.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Which is one of the reasons why I like this offseason so much already. They have improved in so many areas. BPA is always the popular term, but I feel like they can really take the best player this year. Regardless of position (except CB or DLine lol).

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

he  won the outland trophy   playing LT.   I don't see where all this he gets beat by speed rushers is coming from .  Lastly, we will either have Geno Smith starting his 1st yr in a new offensive scheme, Fitzpatrick coming back from a broken leg or God forbid a Rookie starting at QB. Regardless of who we have at WR, we should be a running team throwing play action passes.

Truth be told, I want the Jets to trade down and target Gurley.

I hear you but the Outland Trophy means nothing in terms of tranlating how he would do at that position in the NFL.   Read the scouting reports on him.  That is his biggest weakness and I am sorry but you need a more athletic player protecting the qbs blindside regardless who is starting.  Don't get me wrong, I like him alot.  He could probably start at guard as a rookie and next year perhaps take over at RT.   Even though I started this thread, 6 might be a tad early for him but again he is projected go the Giants at 9 so that really isn't that big a difference in draft position.   I am also in favor of trading down not necessarily targeting any particular player... 

I hear you but the Outland Trophy means nothing in terms of tranlating how he would do at that position in the NFL.   Read the scouting reports on him.  That is his biggest weakness and I am sorry but you need a more athletic player protecting the qbs blindside regardless who is starting.  Don't get me wrong, I like him alot.  He could probably start at guard as a rookie and next year perhaps take over at RT.   Even though I started this thread, 6 might be a tad early for him but again he is projected go the Giants at 9 so that really isn't that big a difference in draft position.   I am also in favor of trading down not necessarily targeting any particular player... 

I hardly ever read those reports. I like to watch game film of the players and make up my own mind.  If you pay attention, these guys opinion change about a player  from the time the season end to the time the draft begin.  To me, the most important thing is what a player does in a game and who he does it against.  The outcome of a play usually means little to me but the execution means everything.

I hardly ever read those reports. I like to watch game film of the players and make up my own mind.  If you pay attention, these guys opinion change about a player  from the time the season end to the time the draft begin.  To me, the most important thing is what a player does in a game and who he does it against.  The outcome of a play usually means little to me but the execution means everything.

It is a combination of watching film and reading scouting reports to me, because unless you do this for a living you are bound to miss something no matter how much film you watch.  Remember it is not so much what a player does against guys who will be bagging groceries or selling insurance next fall, but how he PROJECTS on next level of competition where the players are all bigger, faster, stronger etc.   Of course it is all educated guessing and speculation when you get right down to it. 

This is what I want in a LT for my Jets . A premier run blocker who can pass protect, not the opposite . We are a running team, not a passing team.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TS9Hq4bdFY0

This is a passing league.  You run behind your guards, center or right tackle. LT is pass blocking 1st and foremost all the time.  Teams that go this route simply move the player to another position after one year after their Qb has been killed numerous times.

This is a passing league.  You run behind your guards, center or right tackle. LT is pass blocking 1st and foremost all the time.  Teams that go this route simply move the player to another position after one year after their Qb has been killed numerous times.

That is exactly what the Jets have done since we drafted Ferguson and guess what, it doesn't work . You have to be able to run the ball inside outside to the left or outside to the right.  We have been a predominantly right handed running team and everyone knows it league wide .

The jets were 3rd in running offense last year.  They have been a good running team through most of D'Bricks career so I'm not sure what you are talking about.  The Jets and their ground and pound has not worked.  We have been a running team for two reasons, 1) the former coach was old school and cared about defense and the run game, 2) We have no QB.

The teams that made the playoffs last year were all over the board as far as running offense goes:

18, 15, 1, 11, 8, 16, 6, 22, 28, 2, 31, 7

LT is still a premium pass blocking position.  If you can get a guy that is great at both fine, you have a pro bowler.  If you try and use a road grader at LT expect to be down tot your 3rd string QB sooner than later.

The jets were 3rd in running offense last year.  They have been a good running team through most of D'Bricks career so I'm not sure what you are talking about.  The Jets and their ground and pound has not worked.  We have been a running team for two reasons, 1) the former coach was old school and cared about defense and the run game, 2) We have no QB.

The teams that made the playoffs last year were all over the board as far as running offense goes:

LT is still a premium pass blocking position.  If you can get a guy that is great at both fine, you have a pro bowler.  If you try and use a road grader at LT expect to be down tot your 3rd string QB sooner than later.

Let me asked you a Question:

How many yards did Marshawn Lynch have in the SB ?

How many did LeGarrette Blount have ?

Yet everyone says it's a passing league .

In the NFL, you run the ball to win.

Just for conversation sake, which teams were ranked 1 and 2 since you say the Jets were ranked 3rd  ? 

The super bowl winner was ranked 18th in running offense.  Not everyone runs to win.

There is no formula as far as you run to win or you pass to win because over the years there has been success's and fails on both sides of the coin.

The Jets got kept out of a super bowl game by Indy one year because of the pass, they then got kept out of a super bowl because of the run.

I would say there have been far more base pass or 50/50 teams that have won the superbowl rather than the only run teams.  (Baltimore, Chicago perhaps.)

We are in total agreement.   That is why a premium LT is more valued than RT because you are protecting your qbs blindside (unless he is left handed which most aren't.  

How many yards did Marshawn Lynch have in the SB ?

Just for conversation sake, which teams were ranked 1 and 2 since you say the Jets were ranked 3rd  ? 

It is a passing league.  It doesn't mean the run has no value.  In the NFL if you can't pass all the running in the world won't amount to sh*t.   

It is a passing league.  It doesn't mean the run has no value.  In the NFL if you can't pass all the running in the world won't amount to sh*t.   

I think the NFL self-corrects (at least to an extent) every so often.  I'll dumb things down to make a point here, but if defenses get quicker, lighter, and more focused on getting after the QB and covering TEs, then naturally a team like SEA for example will come along and basically fck up the league, because defenses aren't built to take on physical smash mouth football. Conversely, if the pendulum swings the other way, Tom Brady will pepper you with Gronk and Edelman to death. 

I'm simplifying things of course, but we've definitely seen a few instances lately of NFL offenses with big boy running games - take advantage of a few teams who were built to get after the QB.

The most accurate comparison to Scherff is David Diehl. Diehl played Guard early on in his career for the Giants and then moved to Left Tackle and was top 5 at that position for a couple years.

Hmmm and he was drafted in the 5th round....  

I think the NFL self-corrects (at least to an extent) every so often.  I'll dumb things down to make a point here, but if defenses get quicker, lighter, and more focused on getting after the QB and covering TEs, then naturally a team like SEA for example will come along and basically fck up the league, because defenses aren't built to take on physical smash mouth football. Conversely, if the pendulum swings the other way, Tom Brady will pepper you with Gronk and Edelman to death. 

I'm simplifying things of course, but we've definitely seen a few instances lately of NFL offenses with big boy running games - take advantage of a few teams who were built to get after the QB.

Very good point but I think most of the top teams do have solid running games even if they don't necessarily employ smash mouth football.  Look at Green Bay, Baltimore (when they had Ray Rice), San Francisco, even NE had a very effective running game last year so the running game is still a very important part of an offense, no doubt. 

Legarrette Blount had 40 ******* yards.  On 14 ******* carries.  The Pats had 57 total at 2.7 a clip.  Yet, THEY WON THE GAME.  How does this help your point?

Legarrette Blount had 40 ******* yards.  On 14 ******* carries.  The Pats had 57 total at 2.7 a clip.  Yet, THEY WON THE GAME.  How does this help your point?

Blount was very effective running the ball against Baltimore in the AFC Championship game.  He definitely made Brady's job easier. 

Blount was very effective running the ball against Baltimore in the AFC Championship game.  He definitely made Brady's job easier. 

That was Indy.  Against Baltimore, Blount had one yard on three carries. The Pats as a team had 14 yards on 13 carries.  Being able to run the ball successfully is necessary to win championships!

That was Indy.  Against Baltimore, Blount had one yard on three carries. The Pats as a team had 14 yards on 13 carries.  Being able to run the ball successfully is necessary to win championships!

My bad!

If we are more interested in a LT then we should attempt a trade down and take either Ereck Flowers or Andrus Peat.  Peat; both are better LT prospects than Scherff who probably will be better suited for guard or RT.   

If we are more interested in a LT then we should attempt a trade down and take either Ereck Flowers or Andrus Peat. Peat; both are better LT prospects than Scherff who probably will be better suited for guard or RT.

Flowers is not going to be good in the nfl and Scherff is a better prospect than Peat

If we are more interested in a LT then we should attempt a trade down and take either Ereck Flowers or Andrus Peat.  Peat; both are better LT prospects than Scherff who probably will be better suited for guard or RT.   

Eric Flowers is an NFL RT  and Peat is a pure LT.  The problem with Peat is he's soft as Cotton candy. 

WEAKNESSES: Some hip and joint tightness. Can get himself in trouble when relying upon his strength, occasionally settling onto his heels rather than playing on the balls of his feet, which makes him susceptible to speed rushes upfield and quick counters back to the inside. Occasional missteps in pass protection can be corrected with more experience. Some question as to whether he will be able to stay on the left tackle in the NFL. Durability red flags that require careful examination at the Combine. Missed the second half of the 2012 season due to an ugly right leg injury (broken right leg, dislocated ankle) that required surgery and suffered a torn meniscus in his right knee in 2014 that also required surgery.

Wow those are a hell of a lot of red flags for a 6th over all OG/OT.  I'm hoping Cooper or Mariota is there or we move back if that becomes an option.  

WEAKNESSES: Some hip and joint tightness. Can get himself in trouble when relying upon his strength, occasionally settling onto his heels rather than playing on the balls of his feet, which makes him susceptible to speed rushes upfield and quick counters back to the inside. Occasional missteps in pass protection can be corrected with more experience. Some question as to whether he will be able to stay on the left tackle in the NFL. Durability red flags that require careful examination at the Combine. Missed the second half of the 2012 season due to an ugly right leg injury (broken right leg, dislocated ankle) that required surgery and suffered a torn meniscus in his right knee in 2014 that also required surgery.

Wow those are a hell of a lot of red flags for a 6th over all OG/OT. I'm hoping Cooper or Mariota is there or we move back if that becomes an option.

You're complaining about Scherff red flags but you want a glorified option qb at 6?

Archived