Calvin Pryor ~ ~ ~

kelly

Calvin Pryor looking forward to going back to his old position

When the Jets drafted safety Calvin Pryor in the first round last year, then-coach Rex Ryan talked up the rookie by saying that he’d be delivering big hits on defense from his first day in the system.

Pryor stepped right into a starting job, but he didn’t wind up delivering the thunder nearly as often as Ryan suggested he would. Pryor was asked to play more coverage than he seemed comfortable with and his play suffered for the change in plans, leading to occasional benchings during a rough year across the board for the Jets secondary.Pryor admits there was more bad than good during his first year with the Jets, but he’s excited about what 2015 has in store for him. The arrival of Marcus Gilchrist has Pryor going back to playing in the box and he called the news of the switch “music to my ears” as the Jets returned to work on Monday.

“They already told me what my role will be. I’m going to be strong safety. I’m not going to be playing free anymore,” Pryor said, via the team’s website. “So I’m going to be back to my old self, doing what I do, being down in the box.”With Darrelle Revis, Antonio Cromartie and Buster Skrine signing as free agents, there’s been a wholesale renovation in the defensive backfield this offseason. If those corners play as expected and Pryor’s return to a familiar spot on the field produces the kind of play the Jets hoped to get last season, it should turn a weakness into a major strength.

> http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/07/calvin-pryor-looking-forward-to-going-back-to-his-old-position/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

Im glad he's excited, but I'll believe he can play when I see it.

He was out of position?? I'm shocked that Rex would try and fit a square peg in a round hole. Shocked.

Cope on. You know Rex didn't put him out of position for no reason. Because of the black hole that was CB, Allen who had been playing FS had to move there forcing Pryor to take on  FS duty often. 

True but I don't believe it was Rex's choice. He didn't even know about Pryor. Again the Bradway scouting at its best..

I'm so glad that idiot is out of the draft room. Complete failure and even worse job by us, keeping him all these years.

Edit: tbh I thought we were going Brandin Cooks all the way.. But hey, its the jets.

I'm so glad that idiot is out of the draft room. Complete failure and even worse job by us, keeping him all these years.

At first I thought it was a smart move keeping him with MT but it eventually showed who was calling the shots. WJ needed to get another football guy in here years ago!

At first I thought it was a smart move keeping him with MT but it eventually showed who was calling the shots. WJ needed to get another football guy in here years ago!

You should read collision low crossers.  Will open your eye's about what went on in Jets draft room.

Edit: tbh I thought we were going Brandin Cooks all the way.. But hey, its the jets.

Don't be shocked if Cooks has a better season than OBJ next year. Dome, no Jimmy Graham, year of experience the guy is going to go nuts next season.

Thank JI for drafting SS when the Jets needed a FS...

in the 1st round no less!!!  I would be lying if I told you I knew much about him before the draft but safeties that can hit but struggle in coverage are a dime a dozen.  You can grab a guy like Ihedigbo off the street to do that adequately.  Especially as the league moves further and further toward an automatic flag on every big hit over the middle regardless of whether the player leads with the head or not.  No, I am not saying he is a total bust after one year, but the logic behind that selection was completely flawed.

in the 1st round no less!!! I would be lying if I told you I knew much about him before the draft but safeties that can hit but struggle in coverage are a dime a dozen. You can grab a guy like Ihedigbo off the street to do that adequately. Especially as the league moves further and further toward an automatic flag on every big hit over the middle regardless of whether the player leads with the head or not. No, I am not saying he is a total bust after one year, but the logic behind that selection was completely flawed.

Pretty much and considering Rex rarely blamed anyone he was talking up this kid instead of blaming JI. Rex knows defense yet JI drafts this guy!

I thought we were drafting a safety in the first round because we needed good cover guys in the secondary, especially covering the tight end, which has been a weakness of ours - didn't realize we drafted a safety to make big hits. Besides, the guy doesn't physically look like a big hitter in the ilk of Leron Landry or Jack Tatum or Palamalu...whatever his name is .. we could have drafted a linebacker if we needed another guy to make tackles - I'm baffled at the pick.

Idzik passed on Brandin Cook and Kelvin Benjamin for this loser and people actually defended him for it.

imho ,.. I think it might be a little too early to make a final call on calvin...let's see how he does this season while playing Ss   :character0181:

imho ,.. I think it might be a little too early to make a final call on calvin...let's see how he does this season while playing Ss :character0181:

I think he'll do we'll w position change and Bowles coaching him up......I hope I'm right.

thanks "square peg-round hole - Rex"

Brandin Cooks was the pick. A no-brainer too and Idzik effed it up.

My recent years sh*t list of non-players...

1) Kotite

2) Schitty

3) Idziot

4) Ted Cottrell

5) Sanjay Lal

For the record... I dislike Woody's meddling... but he does not crack the top 5. I do not believe he is incompetent. Which is more than I can say for those listed above.

After the draft I figured Landry would have been out and they would have resigned Ed Reed for the vet presence but it really looks like JI and RR were not on the same page with that draft, especially after they started cutting picks in camp

12 draft picks should have been a foundation for this team to rebuild

1) Kotite

2) Schitty

3) Idziot

4) Ted Cottrell

5) Sanjay Lal

For the record... I dislike Woody's meddling... but he does not crack the top 5. I do not believe he is incompetent. Which is more than I can say for those listed above.

You forgot Bruce Coslet and Joe Walton

I didn't go that far back.... stopped at the 20 year Kotite mark.

I never saw the man coach the Jets but lispy Lou Holtz would have to be near the top of all-time Jets stinkdom for coaches and management.

+1 He even tried to get the team to sing a fight song he wrote..LOL

If Idzik signed corners than Allen stays at FS, Pryor can play SS and be more aggressive since we'd have corners that could cover.....cause and effect.

Now that we have corners, Allen can go back to Safety and the signing of Gilchrist also let's Pryor play SS now. Hope it equals lots of improved and big play from him.....we'll see.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I know everyone's doubting Pryor, but mark my words - he's gonna be another Ronnie Lot

I would jump through the roof if he turned into Ronnie Lott!!!! Lott could cover too though despite being known for jaw cracking hits. He started out as a corner.... I don't think Pryor has that skill set.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

1) Kotite

2) Schitty

3) Idziot

4) Ted Cottrell

5) Sanjay Lal

What no David Lee..

After the draft I figured Landry would have been out and they would have resigned Ed Reed for the vet presence but it really looks like JI and RR were not on the same page with that draft, especially after they started cutting picks in camp

12 draft picks should have been a foundation for this team to rebuild

Bingo.

Archived