If you could change the outcome of one play, which would it be?

TuscanyTile2

http://deadspin.com/if-you-could-change-the-outcome-of-one-play-which-woul-1695280195

Yesterday, commenter “Norm Charlatan” wrote that if he had the power, he’d travel back in time and make it so Gordon Hayward’s half-court buzzer-beating heave in the 2010 championship game went in instead of rimming out. That’s a damned good hypothetical.

So let’s open it up. If you could go back and change the outcome of a single play in any historical sporting event, which one would it be, and why? Answers in the comments.

(You’re probably going to either pick one that would have made for an objectively better story, like handing Butler the win over Duke, or you’re going to pick one that would have helped your favorite team. Either is cool; you’re the omnipotent time-traveler here.)

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a few weeks ago i started a thread what was your worst reaction to a Jets loss

going through that train wreck of a thread, it seems like a ton of bad sh*t happened the day Mark Gastineau roughed the passer against the Browns.  1987 overtime loss in the playoffs.

I'd change the outcome of that play, not necessarily because it would have given the Jets the best chance at a super bowl, but because of all the felonies that happened right after.  Peoples lives got wrecked. 

I also have to give an honorable mention to the 2009 AFC Championship game.  Peyton Manning completed that long pass over Drew Coleman's outstretched arms to set up a touchdown right before halftime.  The game turned on that play.  I'd change that to an incompletion and the Jets go into halftime up 17-6 with the momentum still in their hands.

Mariano Rivera NOT blowing the two-inning save in Game 4 of the 2004 ALCS......And therefore Boston doesn't go on to win the next 3 games and their first world series in like 86 years.  

that's a good one..

Larry Johnson taking that 3 pointer, landing it and beating duke in 91

#99 roughing the passer on Kosar

Van dykes fumble in 98 AFCCG?

I put the question mark because I can't remember too clearly, but I think we were driving the ball down broncos throat at the time and driving for the go-ahead score.

Hey bitonti...lives were ruined on Gastineau sack? I must have missed that thread.

I think you mean Keith Byars fumble?

Van dykes fumble in 98 AFCCG?

I put the question mark because I can't remember too clearly, but I think we were driving the ball down broncos throat at the time and driving for the go-ahead score.

Hey bitonti...lives were ruined on Gastineau sack? I must have missed that thread.

I think you mean Keith Byars fumble?

I could have sworn it was van dyke...I don't remember byars fumble.

We were driving late in game...I remember being crushed...just crushed. I felt bad for van dyke more than I was pissed at him because he was a good player all year for us.

I could have sworn it was van dyke...I don't remember byars fumble.

We were driving late in game...I remember being crushed...just crushed. I felt bad for van dyke more than I was pissed at him because he was a good player all year for us.

there were 6 fumbles in that game

ugh

The only Van Dyke I know of that played for the NYJ was Alex Van Dyke, and he was NEVER a good player for us...I doubt he caught more than 50 balls in the 3-4 yrs he played for the NYJ after being a 2nd rd pick.

Both Byars and Martin, both 'Parcels guys' not known for fumbling, fumbled in the 1st half of that game that ended drives where we should have scored points...it's why we were only up 3-0 at half.

The only Van Dyke I know of that played for the NYJ was Alex Van Dyke, and he was NEVER a good player for us...I doubt he caught more than 50 balls in the 3-4 yrs he played for the NYJ after being a 2nd rd pick.

Both Byars and Martin, both 'Parcels guys' not known for fumbling, fumbled in the 1st half of that game that ended drives where we should have scored points...it's why we were only up 3-0 at half.

Not only that, we drafted Van Dyke instead of Amani Toomer (who I'm pretty sure got picked by the Giants with the next pick in the 2nd round), who was a very good WR for the Giants for many years.

Arrrgh...I'm telling you it was van dyke (a good role player for us) w a late fumble....it was the nail in the coffin...or maybe I'm going senile.

Arrrgh...I'm telling you it was van dyke (a good role player for us) w a late fumble.

Well, you'll be glad to know you're not (totally) crazy...Alex VanDyke did indeed have 1 reception in the 1998 AFC CG, which he did indeed fumble after catching according to NFL stats:

http://www.nfl.com/player/alexvandyke/2503446/gamelogs?season=1998

But to call a guy that had 5 total receptions that year a 'good role player'?  LOL..

Archived