QB guru Tom House sees improvement in Jets' Geno Smith

Larz

Very cool.

Actually i regretted making that post as soon as I made it. No players who have achieved the status of playing in the NFL suck.

They are members of a very elite group of people. Some of them don't stay in that group very long. i think Smith is one of them that won't last.

I hear you, I just hope he proves us all wrong. I just turned 60 and watched

Joe Wille play at Shea, so my time is getting limited. Would really like to see us win the championship one more time before its all said and done.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just because fans have seen him play, and think he sucks, doesn't make them haters.   he might be a very nice guy in real life, he still sucks

We have no idea what Geno is. He was "coached" by Rex and MM and it has been widely reported that he was explicitly told to throw to the first read. 

Smith is another example of a QB who, if done right, might have been an above-average starter in this league.  However, as so many QB's in the NFL have found out, they are not ready for the transition from College to the NFL, but they get thrown to the lions the minute they are drafted.  This DESTROYS their mental abilities. 

IF this would have been Geno's first year, he might have been good.  I can only hope that he can battle back from the situation he was given.

Remember when Vernon Gholsten was working hard in the offseson with Lawrence Taylor.

That worked out well................

you mean when he reached out to LT for advice? i wouldn't quite call that working out and learning from LT.

Only jets fans could turn a player trying to improve himself into a Negative .  lets see he has been in LA working the Shaq Evans and Quincy , he has been to florida to work with Marshall ,  he has worked out with one the best QB guru in the business. I'm sure at some point you will hear he worked out with Decker the guy is clearly working his Ass off to get better. 

and yet all y'all is spew is bullsh*t calling him uneducated and dumb and not a leader blah blah blah. y'all act like it so far fetched that light bulb goes on for a QB in his third year . 

idk What Geno will become but I appreciate the fact that he is Grinding away trying to get better. 

Only jets fans could turn a player trying to improve himself into a Negative .  lets see he has been in LA working the Shaq Evans and Quincy , he has been to florida to work with Marshall ,  he has worked out with one the best QB guru in the business. I'm sure at some point you will hear he worked out with Decker the guy is clearly working his Ass off to get better. 

and yet all y'all is spew is bullsh*t calling him uneducated and dumb and not a leader blah blah blah. y'all act like it so far fetched that light bulb goes on for a QB in his third year . 

idk What Geno will become but I appreciate the fact that he is Grinding away trying to get better. 

You are not alone my friend.  There are a few of us around that feel the same way you do. 

Geno certainly did improve at the end of the season. I kind of like that he improved although every fan boo-ed him and the Front office seemed to give up on him. 

http://www.nfl.com/videos/new-york-jets/0ap3000000450431/Week-17-Geno-

The guy definitely still has upside, is young, and cheap. Ryan Fitzpatrick isn't winning us any titles and is only signed for 1 year. 

Yeah but don't expect too many folks to acknowledge that.  It is a foregone conclusion that he sucks and can't get any better. 

Well, lets look at it analytically.

Can you provide some historic examples where a QB was amongst the very worst in the NFL (production/statisticly) and was very poor in overall quality of play, then "had the light bulb go on" and went on to a Championship career?

If you have an example, we can then look at the similarities/differences between Geno Smith and that player.

Simply bemoaning people with fact-based doubts based on Smiths play-to-date as "haters" is a weak and unsupported argument.  Support your case, cite your examples of players who played like Geno Smith, then won titles later on, and tell us how Smith is similar to that player, thus justifying your view.

The issue is that it is a meaningless story.  I appreciate that he is working hard to get better, but he should be.  Every year there are these stories about players doing something to get better.  Didn't  Riggins take ballet classes?  Generally it has very little to do with their performance on the field.  I'm not sure why some people get angry at the story though.  He is trying to get better.  Will it work?  Probably not, but what is the alternative?

Yeah but don't expect too many folks to acknowledge that.  It is a foregone conclusion that he sucks and can't get any better. 

Well there is always a Rich Gannon hope for Geno.. Gannon did nothing going from team to team for 11 years then in a 4 year stretch made 4 Pro Bowls and 2 All Pro's..LOL

Well there is always a Rich Gannon hope for Geno.. Gannon did nothing going from team to team for 11 years then in a 4 year stretch made 4 Pro Bowls and 2 All Pro's..LOL

Terry Bradshaw was terrible for his first few years.  The joke on him was that he was dumb.  One player said that Bradshaw couldn't spell "cat" if you gave him the "c" and the "a".  Bradshaw won the first of four Super Bowls, the jokester went to jail after his NFL career for raping a paraplegic.

Can you provide some historic examples where a QB was amongst the very worst in the NFL (production/statisticly) and was very poor in overall quality of play, then "had the light bulb go on" and went on to a Championship career?

If you have an example, we can then look at the similarities/differences between Geno Smith and that player.

Simply bemoaning people with fact-based doubts based on Smiths play-to-date as "haters" is a weak and unsupported argument.  Support your case, cite your examples of players who played like Geno Smith, then won titles later on, and tell us how Smith is similar to that player, thus justifying your view.

11 games

2,108 Yards

5.9 YPA

11 TD 15 Int 

57.6 completion %

67.5 QB Rating

this is a 3rd year, 2nd yr Starting for One of the best Qbs in the league today. he would of been run out of town if he was a Jet. Now he is a SB Champion on his way to Hall of fame.

take a look at what he did in his 4th yr and 3rd yr starting when that lightbulb went on. http://www.nfl.com/player/drewbrees/2504775/careerstats

but i will continue to let y'all think QBs develop overnight. this being said that lightbulb may never go on for Smith. but its not as far fetched as y'all make it seem 

11 games

2,108 Yards

5.9 YPA

11 TD 15 Int 

57.6 completion %

67.5 QB Rating

this is a 3rd year, 2nd yr Starting for One of the best Qbs in the league today. he would of been run out of town if he was a Jet. Now he is a SB Champion on his way to Hall of fame.

take a look at what he did in his 4th yr and 3rd yr starting when that lightbulb went on. http://www.nfl.com/player/drewbrees/2504775/careerstats

but i will continue to let y'all think QBs develop overnight. this being said that lightbulb may never go on for Smith. but its not as far fetched as y'all make it seem 

Wow, you are making way too much sense.  You gotta stop this already. 

Granted I am a Geno fan.

But I swear even with a neutral eye on him I only see 1 problem.

He is inconsistent, extremely inconsistent and it's annoying I honestly believe he's been with inept coaches threw his extremely terrible short career but a number of experts and a hall of fame qb (Kurt Warner) say it takes at lease 3 to 4 years to see the type of player he will be for the remainder of his career.

Simply bemoaning people with fact-based doubts based on Smiths play-to-date as "haters" is a weak and unsupported argument. Support your case, cite your examples of players who played like Geno Smith, then won titles later on, and tell us how Smith is similar to that player, thus justifying your view.

Drew Brees

Eli Manning

Hell, I think its safe to say the light went on for Alex Smith too.

I don't know if Geno is gonna work out here. In fact, I lean towards thinking he won't. However, to completely shut the door on him in his second year and sh*t on him on for doing everything he can to improve, like many in this thread are doing, is unfair. Especially after seeing what is he's had to work with in terms of coaching and talent since coming in to the league. Greg Salas was our starter for a few of our games. Greg. Salas.

Simply bemoaning people with fact-based doubts based on Smiths play-to-date as "haters" is a weak and unsupported argument. Support your case, cite your examples of players who played like Geno Smith, then won titles later on, and tell us how Smith is similar to that player, thus justifying your view.

Drew Brees

Eli Manning

I don't know if Geno is gonna work out here. In fact, I lean towards thinking he won't. However, to completely shut the door on him after his second year and sh*t on him on for doing everything he can to improve going into his third, like many in this thread are doing, is unfair. Especially after seeing what is he's had to work with in terms of coaching and talent since coming in to the league.

Greg Salas was a starter for a few of our games. Greg. Salas.

Drew Brees

Eli Manning

I don't know if Geno is gonna work out here. In fact, I lean towards thinking he won't. However, to completely shut the door on him after his second year and sh*t on him on for doing everything he can to improve going into his third, like many in this thread are doing, is unfair. Especially after seeing what is he's had to work with in terms of coaching and talent since coming in to the league.

Greg Salas was a starter for a few of our games. Greg. Salas.

Did genos behavior during the 2014 season inducate he was serious about becoming an NFL QB? For me, the answer to that question is a emphatic NO.

I didn't see leadership qualities at any point. That's a bigger problem, IMO, than his poor play. Unprepared, indifferent, and THAT SULKING ON THE SIDELINE WITH THE GODDAMN HOODIE UP!!!! At this point, I'm sorry, but I can't stand the sight of him.

He has an opportunity, here in 2015, to change this perception of himself. I think the lovers and the haters can all agree that 2015 is his last chance to show us he has something to contribute.

Be a pro, Geno.

I've read all the comments on this post.  It seems like most don't even want him on the team.  What other choice do we have?  Please don't say, draft a QB this year.  I never wanted him in the first place!  When he was drafted, all I could say was NO! NO! NO!  The guy has made a lot of stupid decisions the last two years, but I'm willing to see what he can do in year three.  It takes that long to judge a player.  The last two years, this team was not good for a young QB.  There is talent now.  If he shows little or no improvement, trade him for a slice of pizza!

I don't disagree but for most Jet fans crapping on the players is a time honored tradition and in Geno's case well deserved.. That said come training camp at least 90% of fans will be hoping for a big improvement before saying Gee No put in someone else.. :winking0001:

Archived