Ridley to Jets?? Ian Rappaport

32EBoozer

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah.  He's a Giant.  Blount is suspended.  Pats are a bit thin, but they have been plug and play at RB for ages.

James White.

If he learns how to pass protect in his 2nd season, he'll pop right in there and produce for them.

well I guess they're not drafting RB in rounds 1 or 2.

Offensively, A WR with top shelf speed is the big need now.  Dorsett maybe?

On D, they still need to draft edge rusher.  Fowler will be off the board likely, but if Randy Gregory falls to them he's tough to pass up on.

I like the signing..ivory invites season ending injury on every carry. We need depth.

Plus..I like his running style. He's averaged over 4 yds a carry his whole career. He rushed for 1200 yds on 300(?) carries year 2 and 700+ yds on 180(?) carries in year 3. Good signing, IMO.

I can tell from watching the games that it really hurts to tackle Chris Ivory. That said, he probably gets hurt being tackled as well, and along with other injuries, he's a prime candidate to have CTE.

Point being, it's a depth signing. Chill the **** out Chicken Littles.

I've had big questions about some moves we have made and the way these contracts have been structured. But this move is senseless. I'm seriously getting worried. This is an outstanding RB draft. We have 2 seasoned vets in Powell and Ivory. Why sign an aging RB coming off a major injury??

We NEED a young player at this position. Ajayi, Duke Johnson, even Josh Robinson as a late round pick. Why sign this guy?

I really wish we had brought in an expierienced GM.

Aging back? What does that even mean? All players are "aging". All the time. But a 26 year old back is now aging at a different level? That's a young dude we picked up for one year. He's an insurance policy to Ivory.

What's with people whining? Why wouldn't you bring in a guy like Ridley? Bring in all the players you can get, the more competition the better. I love what Bowles & Macc are doing. Bring them all in. It allows us to draft the best players out there instead of going for needs. And if there happens to be a RB around that falls into our lap on draft day we can just draft him. If not, who cares, we have Ridley for insurance. Either way, I don't see how not signing these vets would make sense. We can always get rid of them if there's too much competition/depth. Yeah, I think I'm ok with having this problem. If these moves create too much competition/depth. :roll:

Would you rather NOT sign these guys and then go into the draft hoping somebody falls into your lap? Reach for certain guys to fill a need? How is that a good thing? Don't want to reach? What if the player doesn't last until your pick? Suddenly you head into camp with a bunch of holes at certain positions because Ridley and those type of guys already signed with somebody else. But hey, Leon Washington is still out there. #-o

Ridley should be ready to go by the start of the season.  It was reported that he should start running in late may and will be able to cut in July. He will have a red jersey on, but he should be there for camp.

Worse thing is that he gets PUP-d for the first 6 games.

Would have preferred to draft a running back but it's an ok move.

We still can and most probably will!

MacDaddy saw what Arian Foster can do on the football field and carry a team... but he'd miss minimum 5 games/season to injury with not much left behind him for depth! 

Not so with the Jets. He will find his Foster in this draft and have plenty of depth to keep him fresh ALL season.

He only has 23 catches in 4 years same as Ivory..

yup..no RBs on roster that are stud receivers out of backfield, aka, break long dump offs/screens etc,That tells me (since we have a capable GM finally) the Jets have eye on 1 or 2 RBs w/this skill set and will 100% draft a pass catching RB in draft..

My guess...  Ameer Abdullah, Nebraska 

You're drawing a false conclusion here. 

He probably got crap offers from the other teams, as well as us, and opted for the Jets where the system might increase his value. Nothing more than that. 

Nobody in their right mind promises a big role to a RB who can't hold onto the football. I'm surprised we added him altogether, but I get the sense that Mac wants to be able to trade this draft away for Mariotta if the chance presents itself. As it stands, we're really setting ourselves up to have a complete team without drafting anyone. The biggest holes are probably QB, RG and OLB and each of these positions is serviceable at the moment. 

Possibly...but if he really had all these suitors, I doubt the offers were that much different.  I'm sure they were similar and if Big Mac caved in and coughed up more money than anyone else, well than, that's an issue within itself.  If it's truly because of Gailey's system like the reports are saying, I think its safe to say the sold him and they told him he'd have a role. 

This wasnt a position of need, it wasnt something that needed to happen, it doesnt really change anything going into the draft but thats the point.  Notice how every other team is quite right now? That's because you wait till the draft at this point and make these types of signings after the fact.

yup..no RBs on roster that are stud receivers out of backfield, aka, break long dump offs/screens etc,That tells me (since we have a capable GM finally) the Jets have eye on 1 or 2 RBs w/this skill set and will 100% draft a pass catching RB in draft

That is a need. I would have preferred Pierre Thomas over Ridley hopefully we draft someone like Jay Ajayi.

yup..no RBs on roster that are stud receivers out of backfield, aka, break long dump offs/screens etc,That tells me (since we have a capable GM finally) the Jets have eye on 1 or 2 RBs w/this skill set and will 100% draft a pass catching RB in draft..

My guess... Ameer Abdullah, Nebraska

Powell can catch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

as for the GM, who did you want?  he didn't do enough for you bringing back Revis & Cro, getting a viable starting qb, getting a legit #1 QB and still having 6 draft picks? come on.

When did this happen, did I miss something?

I've watched Ridleys career with the Pats. The guy has had some really good games & I have no idea why he fell so out of favor with Belichick.

My guess is that if you fumble a deflated ball BB takes that real personal. I mean come on, BB is knowingly skirting the rules to try to help Tom grip the ball & the RBs to be able to hold onto to it in cold weather.

Ridley runs hard, that is for sure. He could be a nice 2nd half closer for Ivory.

I've watched Ridleys career with the Pats. The guy has had some really good games & I have no idea why he fell so out of favor with Belichick.

My guess is that if you fumble a deflated ball BB takes that real personal. I mean come on, BB is knowingly skirting the rules to try to help Tom grip the ball & the RBs to be able to hold onto to it in cold weather.

Ridley runs hard, that is for sure. He could be a nice 2nd half closer for Ivory.

I like the guy, I thought he was the best guy we had there since Dillon. And he can catch, that was not what he was asked to do, but he looks good catching the ball away from his body and he can catch going away on a wheel route, he is not a rb that has to go to a spot, he can catch on the move.  I go to camp 4 or 5 times per year, you see players do routes etc that you don't see them asked to do during the games. 

With Boldin, Blount, Gray and Gaffney between the tackles, White and Cadet handling the 3rd down duties, BB must have thought that he rather give the snaps to one of those guys.  With both the ACL and MCL being torn, he may have thought his effectiveness would be limited the first year back and having a one year and done guy taking up the roster spot.  

Damn dude. Mac's not playing. He's signed more guys with less than 10 million in cap space than he did when we had 50! Who the heck is the accountant???? lol. 

Jackie Davidson is the cap lady.  So far she has done a great job structuring these deals

With Ridley, the Jets now have three RBs under contract for 2015, and zero RBs under contract for 2016.

No way does this move prevent the Jets from drafting a RB. All it potentially does is allow the Jets not to reach for one if the value's not there.

I don't get this one at all. Hope he's gone in August also.

I didn't get it either, but the more I think about it, it kind of makes sense.  With all the changes, and holes the Jets have filled this off season, one position remains a problem.  The Jets are still QB challenged.    Suspect we are still going to see a lot of ground and pound.  

I love Ivory, but with his high impact collision style, he is often nicked up.  Ridley is here to still keep the attack between the tackles,and afford the Jets the opportunity to keep a fresh power back on the field. That's the only thing that makes sense to me at least

Archived