JN Mock Draft 2.0 - Discussion

Dcat

This next round brings up what I don't like about mock drafts.  I have 3 4th rounders in the span of about 10 picks.  I could move one, but I can't move the low one because it is a comp pick.   I have 3 5ths and a 6th.  I'd probably rather have a few 7ths to throw around, but the value probably isn't there.  I will submit my PFA list after Mr. Irrelevant.

Quit whining you d*ck, I don't have a 4th. 

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So Detroit traded away reserve DE George Johnson (Rutgers) to Tampa.  I see Shadetree already drafted DE Mario Edwards in round 2.  Perfect.  He can play behind Ansah and Jones for a year and then take over for Jones next season.  Works out nice.

As for Tampa, it is reported that Johnson signed a 3 year, $9,000,000 contract, but it has not been reported how much is guaranteed.  I think they plan to start the Rutgers alum if they are paying him that much. Good luck with that.

Jets take FS Derron Smith FS Fresno State.

Gilchrist doesn't seem to be a long term solution. Mayock has him ranked as his 2 best Safety behind Collins.

Was hoping to find good value @ OL but Miller (Lou) and Kouandjo (Ala) don't excite me.

I think Kouandjo would be a good pick for the Jets in rd 4.  

Don't worry on the real draft day the Jets can trade up to the mid 6th round and get him

Analysis Strengths On-target with hand strikes and works to steer his man out of the play in run game. Good in short-pull game and will fire himself into linebackers with force. Understands how to work in tandem and finds a way to get guys blocked. Has long arms and uses his length for redirect. Weaknesses Stiff throughout his lower body and mechanical. Poor change of direction when asked to leave his phone booth and venture beyond line of scrimmage. Is only marginal peeling off block to pick up blitzes and twists. Uses lean over leverage as run blocker. Balance issues make it hard for him to sustain blocks after contact on the move. Poor athleticism in general. Draft Projection Round 5 or 6 Sources Tell Us "Not a fan. I've always thought he was bad. Name only, can't play." -- SEC defensive coordinator Bottom Line While Kouandjio has been part of a successful team at Alabama, that doesn't mean he is ready to take that next step. At times it's painful to watch Kouandjio try to move in space and he's limited to blocks that are right in front of him. His lack of functional athleticism and versatility will limit his NFL chances.

I think Kouandjo would be a good pick for the Jets in rd 4.  

His knees are what scare everyone. I know linemen can play with a brace, but that is the reason I went with Mateus for the pats, that and Dante Scarnecia and Trickett are tight.

His knees are what scare everyone. I know linemen can play with a brace, but that is the reason I went with Mateus for the pats, that and Dante Scarnecia and Trickett are tight.

I was not aware.  Thanks for the info.  Once we get past the latter part of round 3, I am not as familiar with the prospects.  That's one of the reasons I participate in these.. to learn more about these guys.  

So Detroit traded away reserve DE George Johnson (Rutgers) to Tampa.  I see Shadetree already drafted DE Mario Edwards in round 2.  Perfect.  He can play behind Ansah and Jones for a year and then take over for Jones next season.  Works out nice.

As for Tampa, it is reported that Johnson signed a 3 year, $9,000,000 contract, but it has not been reported how much is guaranteed.  I think they plan to start the Rutgers alum if they are paying him that much. Good luck with that.

Hey!! I did not approve of this trade. Let me get Tampa on the phone and get back my 5th round pick!!

Jets take FS Derron Smith FS Fresno State.

Gilchrist doesn't seem to be a long term solution. Mayock has him ranked as his 2 best Safety behind Collins.

Was hoping to find good value @ OL but Miller (Lou) and Kouandjo (Ala) don't excite me.

Didn't get into it last night because I was watching the Islander game, but this pick really ticked me off.  Derron Smith is the guy I traded up to take with the pick after the Jets.  I would have liked to wait until the Skins were on the clock to make the deal, but I was gonna be out for a couple hours.  Figured I would go ahead with the trade early -- just hoping the Jets would not trade down (I wanted to get ahead of Chi & Atl who both had a need there), because I assumed there was no way Jets would take a Safety.  

Then I get home and see that Booz took Smith.  Rob Havenstein is not a bad consolation prize, he would be able to compete with Gosder Cherilous who just isn't that good, but I was expecting to get Smith in that spot.

Didn't get into it last night because I was watching the Islander game, but this pick really ticked me off.  Derron Smith is the guy I traded up to take with the pick after the Jets.  I would have liked to wait until the Skins were on the clock to make the deal, but I was gonna be out for a couple hours.  Figured I would go ahead with the trade early -- just hoping the Jets would not trade down (I wanted to get ahead of Chi & Atl who both had a need there), because I assumed there was no way Jets would take a Safety.  

Then I get home and see that Booz took Smith.  Rob Havenstein is not a bad consolation prize, he would be able to compete with Gosder Cherilous who just isn't that good, but I was expecting to get Smith in that spot.

That Islander game was very fun to watch... good game.

If Derron Smith was still on the board and you offered me the trade out I'd still stick with the pick and take my long term FS. I like the film on this kid. Gilchrist doesn't have the instincts this kid has as a ball hawking FS.

That Islander game was very fun to watch... good game.

If Derron Smith was still on the board and you offered me the trade out I'd still stick with the pick and take my long term FS. I like the film on this kid. Gilchrist doesn't have the instincts this kid has as a ball hawking FS.

I think Havenstein would have been a better pick for the Jets than Smith (not just because I wanted to take Smith for the Colts).  The guy I want to be prepared to replace for 2016 is Breno.  Unless he plays a lot better than he did last season, he is a likely cap casualty in 2016 -- he would clear almost $4MM cap space.  Havenstein is a prototypical RT prospect who could compete with Breno this season, but more likely by ready to take over next year.  Similar reasoning to why you picked Smith -- I just think I like Gilchrist a bit more than you do.  I think he played a lot out of position is SD since both he and Weddle are better suited to FS which is the role he will play here.

I think Havenstein would have been a better pick for the Jets than Smith (not just because I wanted to take Smith for the Colts).  The guy I want to be prepared to replace for 2016 is Breno.  Unless he plays a lot better than he did last season, he is a likely cap casualty in 2016 -- he would clear almost $4MM cap space.  Havenstein is a prototypical RT prospect who could compete with Breno this season, but more likely by ready to take over next year.  Similar reasoning to why you picked Smith -- I just think I like Gilchrist a bit more than you do.  I think he played a lot out of position is SD since both he and Weddle are better suited to FS which is the role he will play here.

People seem to forget that Gilchrist was stuck in the SS spot in San Diego because Weddle is their big time center fielder.  Gilchrist was out of position SS just like Pryor was here as FS.  THat doesn't prove Gilchrist will be special or anything, but playing in more of his natural position woould improve his performance a lot.  He's almost like a CB.  And Bowles likes to have as many ball hawks out there as possible.  I think we need to wait and see with Gilchrist.

People seem to forget that Gilchrist was stuck in the SS spot in San Diego because Weddle is their big time center fielder.  Gilchrist was out of position SS just like Pryor was here as FS.  THat doesn't prove Gilchrist will be special or anything, but playing in more of his natural position woould improve his performance a lot.  He's almost like a CB.  And Bowles likes to have as many ball hawks out there as possible.  I think we need to wait and see with Gilchrist.

Salary wise, I think they are similar.  Giacomini and Gilchrist will both have a bit under $2M in dead money next year and bit under $4M in cap savings.  The main difference is that we have not had a chance to sour on Gilchrist yet and he seems to be a guy that Bowles targeted.  He'll be getting $5-6M a year for the rest of that deal so having a replacement is good business, but I tend to think the secondary is a bit crowded this year to go drafting .  .

Salary wise, I think they are similar.  Giacomini and Gilchrist will both have a bit under $2M in dead money next year and bit under $4M in cap savings.  The main difference is that we have not had a chance to sour on Gilchrist yet and he seems to be a guy that Bowles targeted.  He'll be getting $5-6M a year for the rest of that deal so having a replacement is good business, but I tend to think the secondary is a bit crowded this year to go drafting .  .

Salary impact would be almost identical to move on from GIlchrist or Breno.  As you point out, the difference is we have already seen what Breno can do, and it has not been that good.  We are awfully thin at the tackle position beyond Breno & Brick.  Yes, we brought in a  couple of veteran journeymen over the last month but none who could be thought of as long term answers at the postiion.  

At this point, I see it as more of a priority to get a young tackle with upside to have some depth and I like Havenstein's upside.  

Salary impact would be almost identical to move on from GIlchrist or Breno.  As you point out, the difference is we have already seen what Breno can do, and it has not been that good.  We are awfully thin at the tackle position beyond Breno & Brick.  Yes, we brought in a  couple of veteran journeymen over the last month but none who could be thought of as long term answers at the postiion.  

At this point, I see it as more of a priority to get a young tackle with upside to have some depth and I like Havenstein's upside.  

Agreed.  I like Derron Smith too.

I like Derron Smith or I wouldn't have tried to trade up to take him.  Maybe its just sour grapes since Boozer ruined my plan.

I was sure that's who you wanted.

Personally I like the Kouandjie pick for the Skins better than Smith. Yes, he's got knee problems...but I'm less concerned when paired with Jackson. Their guard situation is atrocious with a lot of money tied up there. Worth the gamble on his health for the chance to get two starting linemen in rounds 3 and 4.

Haverstein is very slow, with terrible recovery skills once a DLmen gets him turned. So I don't think he'd be an up grade or = Giacomini. We already have Aboushi and Dozier who played LT in college. I'll stick with them over this guy. Aboushi( 34" arms 10.5" hands) and Dozier projects more towards Guard. Thought I'd see what they both have entering their 3rd and 2nd years respectively.

Haverstein is very slow, with terrible recovery skills once a DLmen gets him turned. So I don't think he'd be an up grade or = Giacomini. We already have Aboushi and Dozier who played LT in college. I'll stick with them over this guy. Aboushi( 34" arms 10.5" hands) and Dozier projects more towards Guard. Thought I'd see what they both have entering their 3rd and 2nd years respectively.

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one, my friend.  I like Havenstein, think he has adequate quickness to play tackle at the next level and could potentially be the guy to replace Breno.  

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one, my friend.  I like Havenstein, think he has adequate quickness to play tackle at the next level and could potentially be the guy to replace Breno.  

Haverstien = Breno.... but cheaper. Maybe we agree after all. I personally think Aboushi can take over RT or even Carpenter for that matter.

Archived