Kiper's latest Mock (4.)

prime21

1. TB - J.Winston

2. Ten - M.Mariota

3. Jax - L.Williams

4. Oak - A.Cooper

5. Was - D.Fowler

6.JETS - BRANDON SCHERFF

Analysis: If Mariota is here I think that's the direction the Jets go. And while I can certainly see this team moving up to No. 2, as I noted above, we know the price is going to be steep, and it might simply be too high a cost. I know this is a possible fit for a pass-rusher as well, but the Scherff pick also makes a lot of sense if you look at the improvements they've made on defense and the improvements they still need to make on offense. The Jets are going to have a good defense next season regardless of whom they take here. The new threats in the passing game are nice, but given the QB options on the roster, this team needs to be able to run the ball. Scherff is a possible starter immediately at right tackle, and is a clear upgrade at either guard spot. It might not be exciting for the fans, but for immediate impact this could be the best pick to make.

This choice is picking up steam.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm OK, not sexy, but 10 year starter, predicted Pro Bowler and protects QB and helps run game.. With our Defense, this isnt worst pick, even thought it 'helps behind curtains' and fans who only think Offense is about RB/QB/WR might be 'huh'?

It's been obvious our OL has been in decline for 2 years now.

Obviously we are going to have very mediocre QB play this year so OLine has to be a priority. We have a glaring hole at RG especially with Colon back. This pick is not sexy but neither was Brick or Mangold. For those saying that this is a reach, Scherff is not going to get past pick 10 or 11 and for good reason. This guy is a stud and probably the safest pick in the draft.

He is actually not and also a very very nice guy when you talk to him... I've been talking to Mel since early 80s.

Yeah I have to agree not an idiot. There is no such thing as 100% accuracy in draft analysis. Sure you can point to some big whiffs on his record but those who say that is evidence that the guy is an idiot don't really understand the nature of the draft IMHO.

Obviously we are going to have very mediocre QB play this year so OLine has to be a priority. We have a glaring hole at RG especially with Colon back. This pick is not sexy but neither was Brick or Mangold. For those saying that this is a reach, Scherff is not going to get past pick 10 or 11 and for good reason. This guy is a stud and probably the safest pick in the draft.

and will have longer career (Off Lineman) than probably most in draft

Not a sexy pick but a safe one. As a GM and HC this is how you want to kick things off. I wouldn't be opposed to it. I think he'll be a Pro Bowler in a couple years.

ya, and a contributor from day One and play 10+ years..

He's a guard.

When there's a potential major impact WR on the board you don't take a guard.

Only if he's a projected LT.

Brick is scheduled an absurd $14mill in 2016 and 2017. Obviously Mac has to restructure that next off season but it could get tricky. If you see Scherff as the heir apparent or an upgrade then fine but otherwise if hate this pick.

You can't pass on White or a pass rusher for an inside lineman-

Agree that OL is safe but not a lot of guards get picked this high.  I would be happier with this if we traded down a few picks.

ya, kiper hinted OL scherff might be there at#9, so going down 1/2/3 spots and picking up more picks could happen..

Why is an oline considered a safe pick all the time?

2013 Cooper at 7, Warmack at 10  nice safe underachievers.

Nothing is "all the time" when it comes to the draft. It is about probability. It is this type of thinking that inspires people to say Kiper is a moron because he has some misses on his record. If that was the standard by which GMs were judged, none of them would be currently employed.

He's a guard.

When there's a potential major impact WR on the board you don't take a guard.

Yes he is a guard. A guard that is going in the top 10 if we take him or not, he's that good of a lineman. If the FO is fine with Willie Colon and his false starts and turnstyle ways we're in trouble. Our receiving core is pretty damn solid at this point with the addition of Marshall and while I still want a speedster to add to it, that O-Line needs antoher stud on it. O-Lines are only as good as its weakest link and we need to shore that up. I'm tired of hoping developmental players step up and take that spot because it is going to get our QB's killed along with the season.

Yes he is a guard. A guard that is going in the top 10 if we take him or not, he's that good of a lineman. If the FO is fine with Willie Colon and his false starts and turnstyle ways we're in trouble. Our receiving core is pretty damn solid at this point with the addition of Marshall and while I still want a speedster to add to it, that O-Line needs antoher stud on it. O-Lines are only as good as its weakest link and we need to shore that up. I'm tired of hoping developmental players step up and take that spot because it is going to get our QB's killed along with the season.

Most great teams , the OLs are the 1st or 2nd strongest part of that team..

That's a pretty good argument right there ..In all seriousness .

I would be disapoined with Scherff in this spot.

Taking a guard at 6 would be a reach...especially with K. White on the board.

Yep.

One of the advantages of having a Marshall/Decker duo is that we can afford to swing and miss (if White is even a miss) if we swing for the fences at WR.

A freaking guard who could play tackle? No thanks. I remember the last time a guard - two guards, actually - were presented as good value that high. That Cooper in particular was going to be a sure HOFer even if it's at an unsexy position. If he didn't illustrate how there aren't any sure things I don't know what to tell anyone (whatever the leading cause, he's started 2 games in 2 seasons). 

If they want Scherf, fine. But trade down at least 10 slots to do it and if he's not there he's not there. At least in the process we'd pick up another 2nd rounder and more. If someone else wants to draft a guard that high then let them. 

Taking an offensive lineman that high in the draft, the player should be a pure, unadulterated left tackle prospect and nothing else.

If QB play doesnt improve, only way we win this year with our good defense, is to be able to run ball late in game with 3-7 point leads..

Old Giantrs w/Tuna..same Gameplan..17-13, 14-10, 20-13 etc etc

Which is why the Ridley deal is not bad at all.

Why is an oline considered a safe pick all the time?

2013 Cooper at 7, Warmack at 10  nice safe underachievers.

Yup. Tony Mandarich is one of the great all time draft busts, Robert Gallery was a bust. OL bust, too.

In this case, it's simply a matter of value. You don't take a guard/RT at #6 overall. Especially when there are quality prospects at premium positions like WR and pass rusher sitting there. There's such a thing as being too conservative in the draft. Playing it too safe. When you're picking that high, you need to be looking for greatness. Not a guard.

If they trade down, fine. Dumb pick at #6.

If I viewed this guy as a super top notch LT in waiting kind of player I would be less opposed.  I just think that though it may be reasonably deep I don;t thiunk this oline group is as good in the past thus the top rated guys value is being pushed up.

Also this being a copy cat league people (and teams) look at recent success or failures for positions and put too much weight into that.  (See Zack Martin)

Archived