Jets had a private workout with UCLA QB Brett Hundley

joewilly12

The Jets' interest in selecting a quarterback three weeks from Thursday isn't just limited to Florida State's Jameis Winston and UCLA's Marcus Mariota, the two options at the top of most draft boards.

A league source confirmed the Jets had a private workout several weeks ago with UCLA quarterback Brett Hundley. Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News had reported earlierThursday that Hundley had worked out for the Jets and the Jets alone a few weeks back.

Hundley (6-foot-3, 226 pounds) is projected by most draft experts as the next-best quarterback prospect after Mariota and Winston, and he's expected to get taken in the second or even the third round. That the Jets would take a close look at Hundley in no way indicates they're set on taking him; rather, it's part of the normal process of evaluating numerous players at a position for which there appears to be a need.

The Jets had attended Winston's and Mariota's respective pro days last month, and they later sent a contingent back to Eugene, Ore., to conduct a private workout with Mariota. They have the No. 6 overall pick, and general manager Mike Maccagnan has said repeatedly their aim is to choose "the best player available" and not necessarily to fill a need. The direction they go with all five of their picks, then, depends on what's available and where they have a given player ranked on their board.

In the end, after all, the Jets may decide to stick with Geno Smith and Ryan Fitzpatrick as their quarterbacks. No one will know till after the draft has ended.

For further reading on Hundley, our own Eliot Shorr-Parks published a Q&A with him back in February. You can read it here.

I don't know sh*t, but I like Hundley as a 2nd round project much more than I like Mariotta as a trade away your future for a 1st round project.

True dat.  But if they waste a 2nd on Hundley, I will hold you personally responsible.  I will hunt you down...

I don't know sh*t, but I like Hundley as a 2nd round project much more than I like Mariotta as a trade away your future for a 1st round project.

I don't think you trade for Mariota but if hes there at 6 you take him. If hes not there then you look to the next tier and Hundley is definitely in that conversation seems like a smart kid with all the physical tools

I don't think you trade for Mariota but if hes there at 6 you take him. If hes not there then you look to the next tier and Hundley is definitely in that conversation seems like a smart kid with all the physical tools

I would take Marriota even if I didn't want him. Somebody is going to trade a ton of picks for that kid.

True dat.  But if they waste a 2nd on Hundley, I will hold you personally responsible.  I will hunt you down...

Not what I want, by any means, all I'm saying is that IF Marcus is "not going to be ready for a year or two" as many people say, then there's no real value in taking him in the top 6. Not when you could have the same roll of the dice with a guy like Hundley in round 2 or later.

Personally, I'd like to see us go WR or OLB in R1 (if we don't trade down) and then BPA in R2. I'm not wedded to the idea of drafting another QB. If we can add another QB in the process of trading back, that would be ideal. 

Take Mariota at 6 or Hundley in the second and sit him for a year or don't take a QB this draft. 

In a yr Marriota might be ready to start. In 5 yrs, Hundley will be spending the money he got from some team . The kid is not a QB>

Not what I want, by any means, all I'm saying is that IF Marcus is "not going to be ready for a year or two" as many people say, then there's no real value in taking him in the top 6. Not when you could have the same roll of the dice with a guy like Hundley in round 2 or later.

Personally, I'd like to see us go WR or OLB in R1 (if we don't trade down) and then BPA in R2. I'm not wedded to the idea of drafting another QB. If we can add another QB in the process of trading back, that would be ideal. 

I am on board for something like this.  There are a lot of good possibilities and different ways to sort out this draft.  I am even on Villain's Glennon bus, if he comes cheaply enough.  He's a better prospect than anyone not named Winston or Mariota and is lightly seasoned.

Serious question - What's everyone's beef with Hundley? Admittedly, I don't watch UCLA much, but I remember there being a time when people were excited about him going Pro. For a mobile QB, he's got an arm and he doesn't look slight of frame. He also seems like an intelligent, confident person with presence. I've heard the complaints about his accuracy, but was it bad o-line play? How were his receivers? I know Shaq Evans made some clutch catches for him, and that highlight reels can be deceptive, but there must be a reason why all of these personnel guys seems to be salivating over him.

Serious question - What's everyone's beef with Hundley? Admittedly, I don't watch UCLA much, but I remember there being a time when people were excited about him going Pro. For a mobile QB, he's got an arm and he doesn't look slight of frame. He also seems like an intelligent, confident person with presence. I've heard the complaints about his accuracy, but was it bad o-line play? How were his receivers? I know Shaq Evans made some clutch catches for him, and that highlight reels can be deceptive, but there must be a reason why all of these personnel guys seems to be salivating over him.

Remember how Davis Carr got fuuuuuuuckeed up behind the Texans OL? Same thing, but in college.

Remember how Davis Carr got fuuuuuuuckeed up behind the Texans OL? Same thing, but in college.

That's where I was going with my question. Given that he was running for his life, do you guys still think he would suck if he was kept upright? The NFL makes it very obvious what good or bad o-line play does for a QB.

He has the processing speed of a tree sloth gand gets sacked all the time.

54% of his completions were 6 yards or less. Worst PAC 12 completion percentage on passes outside the pocket, poor pocket presence, and cannot make an accurate throw outside the numbers. In fact, he is chronically late with his throws outside. What else could we wish for? And, no, it is not all due to Bruins' OL injury issues.  No transformation behind a different OL is forthcoming from what I have seen over the last two years.  The inherent problem is Hundley and nothing else.

He will not beat out Simms on the depth chart and no amount of sitting is going to turn him into an NFL QB.  He isn't an upgrade over Geno.  Hundley has an outside chance of being a back up in a few years -- if he sticks that long.  Pick him in the 6th or 7th for $hits and grins, and nothing else.  Otherwise, let him be some other team's mistake.

54% of his completions were 6 yards or less. Worst PAC 12 completion percentage on passes outside the pocket, poor pocket presence, and cannot make an accurate throw outside the numbers. In fact, he is chronically late with his throws outside. What else could we wish for? And, no, it is not all due to Bruins' OL injury issues.  No transformation behind a different OL is forthcoming from what I have seen over the last two years.  The inherent problem is Hundley and nothing else.

He will not beat out Simms on the depth chart and no amount of sitting is going to turn him into an NFL QB.  He isn't an upgrade over Geno.  Hundley has an outside chance of being a back up in a few years -- if he sticks that long.  Pick him in the 6th or 7th for $hits and grins, and nothing else.  Otherwise, let him be some other team's mistake.

please let me know what UCLA offensive players were drafted this year or last.  He is a developmental qb like Garoppolo, he has to sit for a couple of years, just like Smith should have. 

Ryan Fitzpatrick is an Ivy Leaguer.  Terry Bradshaw is a Hall of Famer.

So you are not strongly against it, then?

Then you truly don't know s&it. Hundley was the MOST SACKED QB in college football last year, which means he can't read defenses well and holds the ball too long. Remind you of anyone? Here's a hint: Geno Smith. Oh, yeah we already HAVE him. Why should we want a carbon copy?

Reading this thread reminded me for some reason that once upon a time Kellen Clemens was a 2nd round pick.

I remember Jaws saying he thought Clemens was the best QB prospect in the draft and only fell to the 2nd because of an injury (knee?) he suffered his final season in college, which caused him to miss games. That was the same draft that Young, Leinhart, and Cutler all went in the first.

If the Jets chose to spend a 2nd rounder on a QB I just hope the can get more out of the guy than they did out of Clemens and Geno to this point because you can definitely pick a player of high value at another position instead.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

please let me know what UCLA offensive players were drafted this year or last.  He is a developmental qb like Garoppolo, he has to sit for a couple of years, just like Smith should have. 

He is nothing at all like Garappolo.  Jimmy demonstrated all the skills needed to play QB both on the field and at the combine. The guy is a real QB.  His only shortcoming is he is green and sitting behind Brady is all he needs to be ready for the next step. The only thing Hundley will get out of sitting are splinters in his ass.   I agree, Smith needed to sit if for no other reason than keep him off the field.

I would agree if it was prior to the rookie scale but it doesn't matter anymore if your top 5 pick busts. If the Jets believe MM is better than Hundley you draft him. It doesn't kill your finances like it used to...

Then you truly don't know s&it. Hundley was the MOST SACKED QB in college football last year, which means he can't read defenses well and holds the ball too long. Remind you of anyone? Here's a hint: Geno Smith. Oh, yeah we already HAVE him. Why should we want a carbon copy?

Not a Hundley fan (not with a top 40 pick at least) but could it just mean the line is bad?  That is what I keep hearing about Glennon.

Reading this thread reminded me for some reason that once upon a time Kellen Clemens was a 2nd round pick.

I remember Jaws saying he thought Clemens was the best QB prospect in the draft and only fell to the 2nd because of an injury (knee?) he suffered his final season in college, which caused him to miss games. That was the same draft that Young, Leinhart, and Cutler all went in the first.

If the Jets chose to spend a 2nd rounder on a QB I just hope the can get more out of the guy than they did out of Clemens and Geno to this point because you can definitely pick a player of high value at another position instead.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Oddly enough, he was almost correct. Leinart and Young are both out of the league. No one wants either one even as a backup. Clemens can at least get backup work.

Archived