Daredevil **CONTAINS SPOILERS**

JoeC36

2/1 you're not stopping after you finish 8.

You're probably right. I will say I have mixed feelings about all 13 episodes dropping at once. I love it because I can tear through them without waiting a week, but after watching them all in a day or two, I have a full year to wait for the next season

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I was a kid my dad used to take me to the comic store weekly. My mom came home one time and found me reading issues from the Born Again storyline, first thing she sees is Karen Page all cracked out as a hooker and being bribed with heroin for Murdock's identity. She flipped her sh*t and my dad just tells her that she's just going to encourage me to seek out more of this stuff if she tells me not to read it. Next thing she knew she was finding issues of Alan Moore's Swamp Thing where that monster was biting the heads off of little kids in the night. I think up until the age of 15-16 she was convinced I was going to become a serial killer from all the comics and movies he always put me on.

Haha... for me, it started when we all got loaded into the Family Truckster station wagon to go visit my horrible relatives in Jersey. While we were there, my Mom bought me about 20 comics from a milk crate full of them at a garage sale. X-Men stood out, it set its hook almost immediately. Before that I'd only accumulated a few Hulk and Star Wars books. 

I'd spend hours re-creating the work of Jim Lee or doing original work in his style. I love the way he brings the page to life. That stack of books she got me also introduced guys like Daredevil, Ghost Rider (before they retired him, then brought him back), The Punisher and some others that just didn't "stick" at the time. I was only in 3rd grade maybe, and my parents would take me for a new comic every now and then from the comic book shop, and maybe around 4th-5th grade I started being able to ride my bike into town and buy them myself. Buying comic books was literally my first venture into "complete" independence... and I was drawn to it for the artwork at first, but having a Mom that got me hooked on sci-fi and monster movies is probably what made it stick.

My typical haul would be:

G.I. Joe

Groo

Uncanny X-Men

Amazing Spiderman

As I got older:

Uncanny X-Men

New Mutants, X-Factor, Wolverine, or any other X-related sub

Amazing Spiderman

Spiderman (McFarlane)

Ghostrider

The Punisher

The Punisher: War Journal

Anything that looked pivotal, or like a landmark moment in other titles - like Batman vs. Predator, or Superman getting married, things like that, and graphic novels of all varieties

This is the X-Men issue that was in that stack of books, by the way:

167-3.jpg

Saw an interview with Goodard a little while ago and he was talking about how the suit is meant to evolve over time. Makes sense. What they revealed the day before the release doesn't really do it justice, he basically evolves to flexible body armor because of something that happens to him in the latter half of the season. I like that they didn't just go straight to the classic body suit.

Overall. A+ show. Not really a ton of surprises. But we all knew that already and there are so many ways for this show to grow and get amazingly better. I'm biased because I'm so partial to Daredevil, but this is an instance of an adaption that fires on all cylinders and gets two classic comic characters spot on in almost every single way possible. I can't really think of too many shows that had a better first season than this.

I have 4 episodes to go. Will finish it up tonight and then give my final thoughts. But after 9 episodes, I agree with Rutgers, I cannot remember a better first season of a show. 

High praise. Just watched the first episode, pretty good. I've never read the comic, or any comic really, so I will probably have a different perspective

High praise. Just watched the first episode, pretty good. I've never read the comic, or any comic really, so I will probably have a different perspective

You don't need to be s fanboy to appreciate this, IMO.

You don't need to be s fanboy to appreciate this, IMO.

oh yeah, I'm digging it .. I've liked most of the comic book movies and love GOT yet I have no attachment to the books like the DM nerds... Just saying, I'll be surprised pleasantly if when I finished I'm saying zomg best show eva... i think that will probably be reserved for fanboy's

one thing i don't understand..NF released this all at once, obviously intending it to be binge watched.. so why have the whole long ass intro in every episode? It's a cool intro, but it's not easy to skip past if watching on a phone while on a treadmill

oh yeah, I'm digging it .. I've liked most of the comic book movies and love GOT yet I have no attachment to the books like the DM nerds... Just saying, I'll be surprised pleasantly if when I finished I'm saying zomg best show eva... i think that will probably be reserved for fanboy's

Yup, agreed. 

Couldnt sleep last night, binged up to like episode 6.  And wow.  So dark, so violent, the acting is good...loving this so far.  

This desperately needed to happen after that disaster with Ben Affleck.  Such a good comic ruined (god I hope he doesnt do that to Batman) by that movie.

This is ******* awesome!!!!

The Punisher could be Marvel's Dark Knight, and they just don't get it.

The Punisher needs to be developed as a serial though, there's just so much you could do with it. Treat it like True Detectives, each season is it's own arc, the first season could be exclusively War Journal content where it takes place in 'Nam. Show the evolution of Frank Castle's mindset towards violence, his training. One season spent on the creation of the killing machine he would later need to become again.

Second season could focus on him transitioning back to the states... build up his wife and kid over the first season and a half, let the audience attach to them, then kill them off about 1/3 of the way into season 2. Which is when Frank Castle becomes The Punisher. Spend the rest of season 2 on him "becoming" The Punisher. The moral dilemma of wanting to leave the killing behind, but wanting to punish the ****ers who took his family. S2 ends with his getting them.

Season 3 focuses on him deciding to continue as the Punisher, despite having gotten his revenge.

There's so much potential for this as a TV show.

Your absolutely right. There is no real reason why there shouldn't be a classic r-rated series and franchise of movies with hardcore violence featuring this character. Stop trying to make a family film everyone wants transformers numbers.

Couldnt sleep last night, binged up to like episode 6.  And wow.  So dark, so violent, the acting is good...loving this so far.  

This desperately needed to happen after that disaster with Ben Affleck.  Such a good comic ruined (god I hope he doesnt do that to Batman) by that movie.

This is ******* awesome!!!!

Read this thread and watched episode 1. Boom..  We got another one here!!!!!  Love the first episode.  

the advent of more or less censor free television has ushered in an era where tv shows can have every bit of the artistic integrity of the big screen, if not more

I'm very happy DD was done as a serial and hope there will be more shows like this to come

the advent of more or less censor free television has ushered in an era where tv shows can have every bit of the artistic integrity of the big screen, if not more

I'm very happy DD was done as a serial and hope there will be more shows like this to come

Serial is the way to go with daredevil. You can't put his story into a 90 minute family film and not expect crap. I saw the first episode and liked it.

Off the topic of how awesome the show is, is anyone else having an issue with the subtitles where the white and yellow text are out of sync with each other?

Yes. I was having that problem. Usually for stuff like that the voice activated tools of Netflix need to be activated, so just get up really close to your TV and tell it the problem.

Ok just finished. Really enjoyed the season. It's going to be hard to wait a year for a second.

Few thoughts

- d'onofrio and cox were exactly how I would imagine Murdock and King pin would be in real life.

- was really skeptical of Fulton Reed playing Foggy at first but he was great and did the character justice.

-seeing as kingpin was a large character in both DD and Spider-Man, down the line I would like to see a crossover but don't see that happening.

- there are rumors that DD could pop up in the Marvel Cinematic Universe down the line, but because of the tone of the show I don't think it would work.

-the fight sequences were all awesome and true to how DD should move. A lot of thought and choreography went into those and the quality showed.

- can't wait for for Jessica jones, iron fist and Luke Cage and ultimately The Defenders

Ok just finished. Really enjoyed the season. It's going to be hard to wait a year for a second.

Few thoughts

- d'onofrio and cox were exactly how I would imagine Murdock and King pin would be in real life.

- was really skeptical of Fulton Reed playing Foggy at first but he was great and did the character justice.

-seeing as kingpin was a large character in both DD and Spider-Man, down the line I would like to see a crossover but don't see that happening.

- there are rumors that DD could pop up in the Marvel Cinematic Universe down the line, but because of the tone of the show I don't think it would work.

-the fight sequences were all awesome and true to how DD should move. A lot of thought and choreography went into those and the quality showed.

- can't wait for for Jessica jones, iron fist and Luke Cage and ultimately The Defenders

I don't see how they can avoid a crossover once they do The Defenders. There is no way these four characters are going to be able to cause this type of ruckus in New York, the city that The Avengers are based in, saved, and the city that Spidey lives in, without crossing paths. The Marvel flicks certainly have their holes in that regard (i.e. Why the hell wouldn't Iron Man have helped at all during the events of Cap 2?), but stuff like that the fans forgive because it's minor. These Netflix shows, however, they are eventually going to get too big to ignore. Especially with the headlines that Fisk and Daredevil drew in the New York media during this first season, because it's not like they're operating in the shadows.

It's a damn shame they didn't roll this out earlier. Albeit minor, Kingpin plays an important role in Civil War and it looks like we won't get that for now.

Can't wait to see where they go though. Me thinks Bullseye and Elektra will be Season 2, which will be amazeballs.

Watched episodes 1 and 2 last night. The hallway fight scene at the end of 2 was gorgeous.

I like the fight scene from outside when they showed the super slow motion knife cutting though the falling rain.  So freaking cool.  Like Crouching Tiger hidden Dragon type sh*t.

Archived