#DeflateGate... WTH will this thing be resolved?!%&#

32EBoozer

With draft approaching, #DeflateGate ruling becomes more important :mad0259: 

Posted by Mike Florio on April 6, 2015, 10:34 AM EDT

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/06/with-draft-approaching-deflategate-ruling-becomes-more-important/

When the NFL hired Ted Wells to conduct the #DeflateGate investigation and basically told him to take his time, the NFL surely didn’t expect him to take an extended period of time. After all, how hard can it be to figure out whether the Patriots did or didn’t deliberately tamper with the air pressure inside footballs used in the AFC championship game?

Now, more than 10 weeks after Wells was retained — and nine weeks to the day since he said it would take at least several more weeks to finish the investigation — the draft is only three weeks and three days away. With the Patriots facing the potential loss of draft picks if they’re determined to be responsible for violating the rules regarding permissible air pressure, the Patriots need to know whether they’ll have all of their 2015 draft picks, sooner than later.

For now, any planning for the draft necessarily hinges on whether and to what extent one or more picks will be pilfered from the Patriots. Even though the Patriots remain steadfast regarding their innocence, they’re smart enough to realize that what they believe and what the league concludes may conflict, especially given the strong possibility that one or more employees of the league office will feel compelled to find wrongdoing in order to justify the entire excursion.

Right or wrong, guilty or innocent, atmospheric or deliberate, the time has come for Ted Wells to devote all efforts to getting the report finished so that the NFL can decide whether and to what extent the Patriots will be losing one or more picks in a draft that begins in only 24 days.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never expected draft picks to come from 2015.  any punishment will be a 2016 pick

I bet brady and belicheat haven't even been interviewed yet

If I was making $600 an hour plus expenses or whatever it is, and my client didn't even want to announce my findings, I wouldn't be in a rush either

I never expected draft picks to come from 2015. any punishment will be a 2016 pick

If I was making $600 an hour plus expenses or whatever it is, and my client didn't even want to announce my findings, I wouldn't be in a rush either

Yeah you'd have to think at this point if the Pats are docked any picks it will be for 2016.

The pick Atlanta lost for pumping crowd noise through their speakers is in 2016 as well.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Slap on the wrist is coming- you just know it

I bet it as weak as a "clarification of the process"

as long as that piker doesn't apologize to kraft its almost a victory.  that's how weak goodell is to me

The longer this process takes, the more people forget about it.

Bingo

The week before the Super bowl people were out raged about it.  Now the Pats have won, because Pete had a brain fart, When the ruling comes down that there is no conclusive evidence the Pats were involved,  an overly enthusiastic equipment guy exercised poor judgement independently, and the footballs have been destroyed by the league, every one will just shrug their shoulders.

Oh Well what a surprise 

Yeah you'd have to think at this point if the Pats are docked any picks it will be for 2016.

The pick Atlanta lost for pumping crowd noise through their speakers is in 2016 as well.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

is that right ?  well there ya go.  I bet they push everything to after the draft, deflategate, tampering, everything

Always remember Goodell reports to the owners- inherent conflict of interest always

I would think the other owners are quite tired of Goodell kissing Kraft's ring. Get Condi Rice in here. She can hold off Congress on that special exemption, is a big NFL fan, well respected, tough and brilliant. 

I have a feeling the investigation concluded a while ago and the results given to the Commissioner. Now they need to decide how to handle it.

Regardless if proof exists, they have a paradox to deal with:

1) Do they come down hard on the Pats and penalize them severely?

2) Do they go soft because of only "circumstantial" evidence with a very light to no penalty?

3) Do they rule "no convincing evidence" where there is no penalty?

If the rule #1: It will call into question whether the Pats should have made it to the Superbowl at all, given there so-called cleaver substitution they did in the Raven's game. (BTW - it was not cleaver. It crossed the line and that is why is is now illegal. I guess the old adage, "It's not illegal unless you get caught" applies here. Just because there is no rule against it does not make it right or legal). 

If they rule #2: The majority of non-Pats will believe the fix was in and the NFL was never going to punish them.

If they rule #3: Same as #2.

The problem the NFL now has is the betting on NFL games is $9.5 BILLION industry annually (http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/10/06/nfl-s-shadow-economy-of-gambling-and-fantasy-football-is-a-multibillion-dollar-business.html). Betting draws people into the games and creates the interest in watching and going to these games.

If the NFL makes it look they are are biased toward ANY team...you have to wonder how Las Vegas will react.

Don't think for a minute this is not a consideration of the minds of NFL execs.

If the NFL wants a level playing field they're going to have to fix the perception that ruling #2 and #3 create.

I would think the other owners are quite tired of Goodell kissing Kraft's ring. Get Condi Rice in here. She can hold off Congress on that special exemption, is a big NFL fan, well respected, tough and brilliant. 

Agree with you on both points.  owners are tired of the Pats cheating, but they are ham strung  Any severe action against the Pats throws the  the Super Bowl in question .

And Rice would be a great choice as commish 

I have a feeling the investigation concluded a while ago and the results given to the Commissioner. Now they need to decide how to handle it.

2) Do they go soft because of only "circumstantial" evidence with a very light to no penalty?

If the rule #1: It will call into question whether the Pats should have made it to the Superbowl at all, given there so-called cleaver substitution they did in the Raven's game. (BTW - it was not cleaver. It crossed the line and that is why is is now illegal. I guess the old adage, "It's not illegal unless you get caught" applies here. Just because there is no rule against it does not make it right or legal). 

If they rule #2: The majority of non-Pats will believe the fix was in and the NFL was never going to punish them.

The problem the NFL now has is the betting on NFL games is $9.5 BILLION industry annually (http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/10/06/nfl-s-shadow-economy-of-gambling-and-fantasy-football-is-a-multibillion-dollar-business.html). Betting draws people into the games and creates the interest in watching and going to these games.

If the NFL makes it look they are are biased toward ANY team...you have to wonder how Las Vegas will react.

If the NFL wants a level playing field they're going to have to fix the perception that ruling #2 and #3 create.

The proof is an important part of it though. If the Columbia physicist hired to check out the possibilities concludes it was impossible for atmospherics to cause the deflation, the league will have no choice but to come down hard. And it is known that the physicist was hired, so it should be virtually impossible not to make the results of his testing public.

If the testing comes out inconclusive, the league will likely do nothing, I believe.

Agree with you on both points.  owners are tired of the Pats cheating, but they are ham strung  Any severe action against the Pats throws the  the Super Bowl in question .

And Rice would be a great choice as commish 

Agreed. And she has publicly expressed interest in the job.

Agreed. And she has publicly expressed interest in the job.

Also a Public Relations Coup! Goes along with the whole Pink shoes thing for Breast Cancer Awareness. NFL trying to get more women into the "NFL thing" (ex. the new female line judge). Official NFL Clothing and accessories are a huge business.

Also a Public Relations Coup! Goes along with the whole Pink shoes thing for Breast Cancer Awareness. NFL trying to get more women into the "NFL thing" (ex. the new female line judge). Official NFL Clothing and accessories are a huge business.

Yeah, but what are the chances the owners will dump Goodell? No way he resigns voluntarily.

You are right. At the end of the day the NFL has a perception problem and that problem exists because of Roger Goodell. He needs to go for the fans to start trusting the actions of the NFL again. If the owner's are spinelss here it will only make the problem worse.

I never expected draft picks to come from 2015.  any punishment will be a 2016 pick

Can i get that job. I promise i will count each molecule of air in the footballs.

There is no paradox, if there is video of the pats deflating the balls, or if Columbia determines that game time atmospheric conditions can not account for the change in pressure the pats will be punished severely. At least a #1 and BB suspended for a year, regardless of whether he knew what occurred. . 

There is nothing circumstantial in play, It is physics, it either can or can not.

As far as vegas goes, that is bullsh*t. Gambling on NBA games increased even after the NBA official betting scandal. They go by past results, to determine the opening line, the line is then adjusted to maintain a balance of wagers. Now the NFL will in the future most likely check the balls before the game and during 1/2 time.

The pats found a fault in the rule and took advantage of it, the nfl did what they always do, they closed it the next year.  Dave Casper fumbling the ball forward, fake injury time outs, etc. there is nothing "illegal" about the play.  The only thing "illegal" about the play was the Ref telling the Ravens  "don't cover #34"  that is bullsh*t, it is the ravens responsibility of who to cover, the ref is just supposed to say who is eligible. 

So you believe that Columbia say that footballs "lose"  pressure other NFL fans are just going to think that the fix was in? 

There is no paradox, if there is video of the pats deflating the balls, or if Columbia determines that game time atmospheric conditions can not account for the change in pressure the pats will be punished severely. At least a #1 and BB suspended for a year, regardless of whether he knew what occurred. . 

There is nothing circumstantial in play, It is physics, it either can or can not.

As far as vegas goes, that is bullsh*t. Gambling on NBA games increased even after the NBA official betting scandal. They go by past results, to determine the opening line, the line is then adjusted to maintain a balance of wagers. Now the NFL will in the future most likely check the balls before the game and during 1/2 time.

The pats found a fault in the rule and took advantage of it, the nfl did what they always do, they closed it the next year.  Dave Casper fumbling the ball forward, fake injury time outs, etc. there is nothing "illegal" about the play.  The only thing "illegal" about the play was the Ref telling the Ravens  "don't cover #34"  that is bullsh*t, it is the ravens responsibility of who to cover, the ref is just supposed to say who is eligible. 

So you believe that Columbia say that footballs "lose"  pressure other NFL fans are just going to think that the fix was in? 

so far all we have to go on is leaks and rumors.  not a single fact has been verified by the NFL

but

if the pats* 12th ball was indeed properly inflated, and the colts balls properly inflated, everything is moot, and the pats* need to be dragged through the coals

as side note, nice touch by that pats* employee stealing a K ball to sell rather than allowing  it to be donated to charity as all the other balls were

stay classy, lololol

so far all we have to go on is leaks and rumors.  not a single fact has been verified by the NFL

but

if the pats* 12th ball was indeed properly inflated, and the colts balls properly inflated, everything is moot, and the pats* need to be dragged through the coals

as side note, nice touch by that pats* employee stealing a K ball to sell rather than allowing  it to be donated to charity as all the other balls were

stay classy, lololol

Now I don't know if your kidding regarding a patriot employe stealing a ball and charity, but if you are not

1. It was a league office employee that stole the balls designated for charity. The stolen ball was not a "K" ball but a regular game ball. When the other NFl official noted that  

a "K" ball was placed in the bag, the thief attempted to switch.  Please see

http://nypost.com/2015/02/18/nfls-circus-deflategate-probe-turns-up-black-market-ball-thief/

but

stay classy, lololol

Well all we know is that the colts balls were at least 12.5  as the nfl said that.

Hi Patman....I appreciate your comments. 

I'll say this:

If I knew that a certain team (any team) has a favored status (real or perceived) and I'm betting - I would certainly would bet on the side of the team with the favor. So I believe it does affect betting patterns. I certainly would not debate that betting would stop or even increase, just that it would change in favor of the favored team or against the non-favored team.

Overall though, is this part of the plan the NFL has to sell football as a high-end corporate product?...I doubt it.

After the Raven's game we knew the Pats had found a loop hole in the rules. Technically legal at the time but certainly gave the advantage to the Pats. I thought the league would ratify the technique and let all teams use it, but chose to make it illegal. You bring up the Dave Casper fumble forward trick as an example of the entomology of how rules have evolved - so I agree. In this case they let the game play create the situation to change the rules.

But really, do you think the Pats didn't know this was against anything that had been done before and was not a normal, established part of traditional football play? They had to know it would confuse the Ravens defense (and it did). I'll say this, the Pats won the SB fair and square and they did not use this there - to their credit - but also because it would make such a controversy if it were used in the SB it would certainly call in question the use of it on a world-wide stage.

I had not considered the proof that could be provided purely by physics in the case of deflategate. It will be interesting if this will suffice for actual video evidence. I thought you were entirely fair with your comments there, but I would not see that severe a punishment. Even as a Jets fan I would think that extreme.

Archived