#DeflateGate... WTH will this thing be resolved?!%&#

32EBoozer

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing more than another witch hunt against the Pats.

Well the Pats do come from the part of the country in which "witch hunts" originated.  So maybe it fits.

All of this has been self-inflicted by the Pats.  Despite having a good team, the Pats have done anything and everything they could to rig the game in their favor.  Even though it weas unnecessary, for some reason your psychotic head coach felt the need.  Brady was the biggest stroke of luck in NFL history.  Without him, none of this would have ever happened and the Pats would just be another ordinary team with a losing history.  All the cheating woould have slipped under the radar too.  But alas... it didn't and the Pats will be known as the most dishonest team since the Blacksox.

Well the Pats do come from the part of the country in which "witch hunts" originated.  So maybe it fits.

All of this has been self-inflicted by the Pats.  Despite having a good team, the Pats have done anything and everything they could to rig the game in their favor.  Even though it weas unnecessary, for some reason your psychotic head coach felt the need.  Brady was the biggest stroke of luck in NFL history.  Without him, none of this would have ever happened and the Pats would just be another ordinary team with a losing history.  All the cheating woould have slipped under the radar too.  But alas... it didn't and the Pats will be known as the most dishonest team since the Blacksox.

Are you serious?

You are equating 2 lbs of PSI to fixing games?

Wake me up when the Pats are stripped of all their Super Bowl titles.

I think there are two possibilities for why nothing has been said. One possibility is that the physicist at Columbia has not completed his work on this yet. The other possibility is that the whole investigation is done, and it shows that the Pats cheated. I think because the Pats won the SB, the league wants to wait as long as it can before punishing the current champs. If the investigation exonerates the Pats, why not put that out as fast as possible? Gets the whole thing over with and no need to punish the champs.

So the long delay may mean the investigation has found evidence of cheating. 

I think they haven't interviewed brady and belicheat yet.  I think they are simply dragging it into the slow season.  they will use some lame excuse that they didn't want to interfere with the pats* draft prep

I think they haven't interviewed brady and belicheat yet.  I think they are simply dragging it into the slow season.  they will use some lame excuse that they didn't want to interfere with the pats* draft prep

But if they are going to suspend the Pats QB for one season for driving the deflation of the balls won't the Pats be better served to know that going into the draft. Oh wait....it's teh Pats.

But if they are going to suspend the Pats QB for one season for driving the deflation of the balls won't the Pats be better served to know that going into the draft. Oh wait....it's teh Pats.

all along any lost pick would be 2016.  the last punishment they announced for the crowd noise was going to be a 2016 pick

I think the tampering charges delay is even more bizarre.  both claims are based on public comments, and everybody knows what the comments were.  that's a 30 minute discussion

what is up with that delay ?

Yeah, like they didn't want to interfere with the Jets prep for the legal tampering period, by choosing the first two day of it to send the NFL interrogators into the Jets facility, while the rest of the league was blatantly breaking the rules   

all along any lost pick would be 2016.  the last punishment they announced for the crowd noise was going to be a 2016 pick

I think the tampering charges delay is even more bizarre.  both claims are based on public comments, and everybody knows what the comments were.  that's a 30 minute discussion

what is up with that delay ?

Shhh..sarcasm.

Yeah, like they didn't want to interfere with the Jets prep for the legal tampering period, by choosing the first two day of it to send the NFL interrogators into the Jets facility, while the rest of the league was blatantly breaking the rules   

Yeah, but the Jets were clearly broke the rules. 

Unless there is video proof and/or a confession, there is no absolute proof the Patriots did anything wrong.

Unless there is video proof and/or a confession, there is no absolute proof the Patriots did anything wrong.

The standard isn't "smoking gun video" to justify a preponderance that rules were violated.

The standard isn't "smoking gun video" to justify a preponderance that rules were violated.

You don't even need a preponderance, unless the punishment is a draft pick or something significant.  I don't get while it is taking so long unless they are having Columbia build a test specific atmospheric chamber.

You don't even need a preponderance, unless the punishment is a draft pick or something significant.  I don't get while it is taking so long unless they are having Columbia build a test specific atmospheric chamber.

Actually. if the holdup is because the Columbia physicist has not finished his work, there could be many reasons. He'd be doing the work during a semester, for which he may have other teaching and research responsibilities that may prohibit full time involvement in the NFL project. And if he is doing the testing right, he may have to work with hundreds of footballs to get the statistics right. Could be a lot of work.

Actually. if the holdup is because the Columbia physicist has not finished his work, there could be many reasons. He'd be doing the work during a semester, for which he may have other teaching and research responsibilities that may prohibit full time involvement in the NFL project. And if he is doing the testing right, he may have to work with hundreds of footballs to get the statistics right. Could be a lot of work.

I thought the actual work was going to be done by post docs and grad students anyway.  But, when the guy who is paying the bills says take your time, everyone gets new toys. 

I thought the actual work was going to be done by post docs and grad students anyway.  But, when the guy who is paying the bills says take your time, everyone gets new toys. 

Even if he isn't the guy actually testing footballs, I'm sure he will want to be involved in the analysis. No telling how much effort he would have to put in himself and how much time he has available to devote to that project. I'm sure at the start of the school year he had identified enough research and teaching to keep both himself and his grad students busy until the end of the year. So the NFL project would be on top of all that,

Yeah, kind of like with Hernandez, no video, no confession, he was framed

Maybe so, but there is no definitive answer as to what the balls were before the game because (dramatic pause) they did not record anything.

It is hard to come down on the team when, again lacking for video/confession evidence, they can not say what ball was when the refs 'measured' the balls and how much each ball went down.

If there is a video of something being done and/or a confession, slam them. 

Yeah, kind of like with Hernandez, no video, no confession, he was framed

Well, they did have his cell pinging from the murder location at the time of Llyod's murder and his lawyer said he was there.  So there is that.

Maybe so, but there is no definitive answer as to what the balls were before the game because (dramatic pause) they did not record anything.

It is hard to come down on the team when, again lacking for video/confession evidence, they can not say what ball was when the refs 'measured' the balls and how much each ball went down.

Well, they did have his cell pinging from the murder location at the time of Llyod's murder and his lawyer said he was there.  So there is that.

Well the Pats balls were all comfortably deflated, the others weren't, so there is that

I suspect the story will go something like this.

Lil Bill and Tom were in the same stall in the bathroom, doing their usual pregame prep, when thru the glory hole they saw the deranged ball boy come in, shockingly start to deflate the balls.  Being young they became frightened and confused, just put one foot in front of the other , and just moved on.

It would probably be definitive enough if the investigators interviewed the refs who did the testing and the refs stated their memories of the range of pressures seen when the testing of the Pats' balls was done. If the refs aren't interviewed as part of the investigation then either the whole investigation is a sham, or it was an incredibly shoddy piece of investigative work. Even the locker room thermostat setting where the balls were kept before going to the refs is an important piece of information that at the very least should be obtained by interviewing the appropriate people.

I hope Senator McCain, who's had a hard-on over the NFL special exemption, would clamp down on the NFL and get Goodell fired! This is a multi-Billion $ industry even w/o the gambling revenue! Get the ship righted and get Goodell out of town.

I hope Senator McCain, who's had a hard-on over the NFL special exemption, would clamp down on the NFL and get Goodell fired! This is a multi-Billion $ industry even w/o the gambling revenue! Get the ship righted and get Goodell out of town.

That would involve McCain and the rest of his friends in Congress actually getting off their ass and doing something.  It would be fantastic to see, but it'll never happen.

It would probably be definitive enough if the investigators interviewed the refs who did the testing and the refs stated their memories of the range of pressures seen when the testing of the Pats' balls was done. If the refs aren't interviewed as part of the investigation then either the whole investigation is a sham, or it was an incredibly shoddy piece of investigative work. Even the locker room thermostat setting where the balls were kept before going to the refs is an important piece of information that at the very least should be obtained by interviewing the appropriate people.

The whole thing is a sham. 

If reports are true that the Colts and/or ravens had doubts, how come a sting was not done to trap the Patriots?  If the pressure of the ball is so important, then why let half a game, a playoff game mind you, be played with under inflated balls.  Either it is important or it is not.

I digress.  Again, the refs can state anything.  It does not mean it is true.  ''All the balls were between 12.5 and 12.7".    Ok, which ones?  I know this is not a court, but Goodell cannot arbitrarily slam a team without definitive proof. 

If reports are true that the Colts and/or ravens had doubts, how come a sting was not done to trap the Patriots?  If the pressure of the ball is so important, then why let half a game, a playoff game mind you, be played with under inflated balls.  Either it is important or it is not.

I digress.  Again, the refs can state anything.  It does not mean it is true.  ''All the balls were between 12.5 and 12.7".    Ok, which ones?  I know this is not a court, but Goodell cannot arbitrarily slam a team without definitive proof. 

people on both sides of the argument are upset over the length of time the investigation is taking ... but until the results come out i would think it's too early to call it a sham.

from what i've read the Colts GM did bring the possibility up to the league office ahead of time.

i believe the results of the investigation will have to be accepted as true ... the losing side won't be happy with this ... but that certainly seems like Goodell will make a decision after those results are in ... and all of us who don't like that decision will just be SOL about it

I am not aware that it was known that the balls were under-inflated at the start of the first half. The refs had measured them before the game started, then measured them again at the half. I think that was the plan all along. If the Pats somehow deflated the balls during the first half, measuring them again before the start of the first half would not have shown evidence of deflation.

Although the refs can say anything, I think statements by them would be accepted at face value, much as the statement of law enforcement is accepted in a trial. Disbelieving law enforcement requires evidence they are lying. I think the league would treat statements by officials the same way.

And since this not a court of law, Goodell does not did definitive proof to apply a penalty. The NFL is closer to a monarchy than a society with strict rules of evidence for punishment. That is especially true of the Pats, who were already punished for cheating in the past.

Archived