Superbowl III - Our NY Jets One Shining Moment

TuscanyTile2

Fun fact: The 1968 Jets "only" had to beat the Raiders in the playoffs, then the Colts in the Super Bowl to take home the trophy.

The 2009 and 2010 Jets won two playoff games each year, and didn't even make it to the Super Bowl.

Not to be a downer, but if you look at Namath's career stats, amazingly enough , he wasn't that good of a QB except for 1969. He had a completion % of above 50% for only six seasons, and finished with way more pics than TDs. Looks like the Jets have never really drafted a franchise QB

Not to be a downer, but if you look at Namath's career stats, amazingly enough , he wasn't that good of a QB except for 1969. He had a completion % of above 50% for only six seasons, and finished with way more pics than TDs. Looks like the Jets have never really drafted a franchise QB

for you to suggest Namath isn't a franchise QB just proves that you weren't around then.

For the record, neither was I, but I'm not the one saying Namath wasn't a franchise QB.  I know that I don't know enough to make that statement.  It goes beyond stats.

With few exceptions, pass completion percentages were considerably lower in those days. Namath was a great QB who threw for over 4000 yards in an era where that was unheard of. No West Coast Offense, no stacked rules protecting the QB, no stacked rules protecting the WR, no artificial turf, no domes, hash marks were spread wider meaning play was to strong or weak side of the field more frequently. Namath had a high interception ratio, which was more troubling, but he was a dangerous QB and a great vertical passer. Not to mention that he exuded a winning mentality. Bradshaw is another interesting case... a good QB during the regulat season who became Superman in the playoffs. Overall stats? Okay. They were great when it mattered.

Wrong. I saw Namath play. Nobody threw the ball like Namath did. Also the Jets teams after 1970 were bad teams. That was an era when the QB's called there own plays. The Jets lost their only good RB of the 1970's in Riggins.

Wrong. I saw Namath play. Nobody threw the ball like Namath did. Also the Jets teams after 1970 were bad teams. That was an era when the QB's called there own plays. The Jets lost their only good RB of the 1970's in Riggins.

Yup. Me too. Imagine Namath in today's game! He'd still have his knees and his receivers would get that little bump a the line of scrimmage and be running clean routes. Today's game is a shadow of what it was back then. Football lite. Bigger, stronger, faster players who are so rule bound and limited that a good deal of that skill is neutralized, except for WR's and QB's, who have been given the golden ticket to drive up points.

I was born a 3 days after so I fall in the "my team has never won a Super Bowl in my lifetime" category.

Well, I was 18 on the day that game was played, but I didn't watch it. I know mine is a strange case, but I had not yet started watching football. Not until the early 70's did I get interested. So I have the dubious distinction of probably being the only Jet fan around today who could have watched the game, but didn't. 

Well, I was 18 on the day that game was played, but I didn't watch it. I know mine is a strange case, but I had not yet started watching football. Not until the early 70's did I get interested. So I have the dubious distinction of probably being the only Jet fan around today who could have watched the game, but didn't. 

The Jets are just a bad karma team.  Hopefully that changes.

With few exceptions, pass completion percentages were considerably lower in those days. Namath was a great QB who threw for over 4000 yards in an era where that was unheard of. No West Coast Offense, no stacked rules protecting the QB, no stacked rules protecting the WR, no artificial turf, no domes, hash marks were spread wider meaning play was to strong or weak side of the field more frequently. Namath had a high interception ratio, which was more troubling, but he was a dangerous QB and a great vertical passer. Not to mention that he exuded a winning mentality. Bradshaw is another interesting case... a good QB during the regulat season who became Superman in the playoffs. Overall stats? Okay. They were great when it mattered.

Wasn't Namath the first QB ever to throw for 4,000 yards in a season?

Unfortunately he's probably the only Jets QB to throw for 4,000 yards in a season as well lol

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Unfortunately he's probably the only Jets QB to throw for 4,000 yards in a season as well lol

Yep he was the first. There was a MNF game, I think the very 1st one. Going in the Jets had 0 healthy running backs to play. The Jets lost but Namath threw for over 400 yards.

In the old 14 game season.  Joe was a magnificent passer and QB in an era when the game was very, very different from the oatmeal that is served up today.  

not to be a dowwner, but the game was a little different back then

I suggest you read mark kriegels biography of joe it explains a lot from his days at alabama to knee surgery techniques back then to sonny werblin trying to make him the elvis of the NFL

dink and dunk didn't exist back then, it was bombs away and defenses tried to kill him for the contract he signed.  if 22 year old namath played today he would 100% guaranteed be a franchise QB

In the old 14 game season. Joe was a magnificent passer and QB in an era when the game was very, very different from the oatmeal that is served up today.

That pretty impressive, especially considering with the pass happy league the NFL is now a days we still haven't seen a Jets QB get 4,000 yards since what? Favre probably? And before that Vinny? Unless Pennington did it once.

Hopefully our next QB will be able to throw for 4k, especially since he'll have legit weapons to work with now.

He is the only Jets QB to throw for 4,000 yards.

O'Brien threw for 3,888 yards in 1985.

Yep, that was pretty impressive.

Johnny Unitas,Montana,Terry Bradshaw and others never had a 4,000 yd season.. Vinny did for the 1996 Ravens,,LOL Hell Lynn Swann never had a 900 yd season receiving and never caught more then 61 passes in a season..

Johnny Unitas,Montana,Terry Bradshaw and others never had a 4,000 yd season.. Vinny did for the 1996 Ravens,,LOL Hell Lynn Swann never had a 900 yd season receiving and never caught more then 61 passes in a season..

And Swan's in the HOF and Klecko and Hill are not.

The posse has arrived! I was wondering where's Savage? Starting to feel a little lonely as one of only a couple guys who remember that era. And the 60's too.

Archived