I say **** it and trade for Rivers.

SenorGato

By the way Rivers never had a defense behind him like the one we assemble this off season getting him would be very scary and have the league on notice.

When they were 14-2 they had a great team.

Then some moron picked off Tom Brady, and fumbled it back to the Pats.  And Marty got fired, and it went down hill.   Side note, I have treated guys who were on that team, they loved Marty and thought it was total BS he was fired.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Chargers are conducting a private workout in Eugene with Oregon QB Marcus Mariota Tuesday.

Perhaps HC Mike McCoy, OC Rich Reich, QBs coach Nick Sirianni and a bunch of front office members are just doing their due diligence. Or maybe the trade rumors flying around Philip Rivers and the Chargers have some legs. The narrative states that Rivers doesn't want to move to Los Angeles and the Titans, holding the No. 2 overall pick, want a proven veteran to stabilize their quarterback situation. "Many close to the situation believe the Chargers head to Oregon while considering the notion of a draft-day trade," says the Union-Tribune San Diego. Any potential deal hinges on Mariota falling to No. 2, as San Diego is reportedly not interested in Florida State QB Jameis Winston.

Source: Union-Tribune San Diego 
Apr 14 - 8:34 AM

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2015/apr/13/chargers-marcus-mariota-philip-rivers-draft/

What was first scheduled for Wednesday will now happen sooner.

The Chargers are set to work out Marcus Mariota.

Team brass, including coach Mike McCoy, offensive coordinator Frank Reich, quarterbacks coach Nick Sirianni and front-office members, flew Monday afternoon from San Diego, bound for Eugene, Ore., sources said. The group planned to have dinner with Mariota Monday before working out the former Oregon quarterback and Heisman Award winner Tuesday.

There is due diligence before the draft.

Then, there is this.

Mariota is projected to be taken as early as the first or second pick on April 30 during the first round. The Chargers have the No. 17 choice. It would be highly unlikely for a camp to allow its client to work out for a team that far back without a strong sense a trade up is a real possibility.

The sense around the league, indeed, is that it is.

Quarterback Philip Rivers, 33, is under contract one more year. He has expressed a desire to play out his deal while the possibility of franchise relocation to Los Angeles looms. The Titans own the No. 2 pick. Ken Whisenhunt, their head coach, was the Chargers' offensive coordinator in 2013. Offensive coordinator Jason Michael was on the Chargers' staff, too.

Nashville also is close to home for Rivers, an Alabama native.

What comes of this Eugene trip could have a strong say in what sort of push, if any, the Chargers ultimately make for Mariota. But many close to the situation believe the Chargers head to Oregon while considering the notion of a draft-day trade. 

The conversation over what happens when the Titans are on the clock may prove moot if the Buccaneers select Mariota first overall. San Diego is not believed to have the same level of interest in Jameis Winston, the other top-ranked quarterback in the draft.

Mariota trained for the NFL Scouting Combine in Carlsbad, just north of San Diego.

Rivers, coincidentally, worked with him a couple days a week, mentoring him in the film room and through on-field workouts.

Beats taking Fowler over Dupree or Cooper. You'd get over it.

If it makes you feel better, I've changed my mind.  I'm now in favor of trading for Rivers.  Probably started changing my mind during these types of discussions...realizing how big a crap shoot it all is and the value of a top 10 QB.  Especially with the Jets luck in the draft, particularly with the QB.  **** it, send them picks galore.  Get him for his last 4-5 years.  See if you can win it with the nucleus in place and some picks. Which will be limited.  So it will put a ton of pressure on Big Mac to draft well.  Its just all reminding me of the trader Mike days...but **** it.  I hate Rivers but dudes good and thats cool

But none of this will happen because its the Jets. 

Still think Fowler > Dupree but would be happy with either.

<3

If Cooper were sitting there at 6 with both QB's off the board, anyone think we'd be willing to trade down with the Dolphins?  Doing a draft day deal with a division rival is pretty rare but if there's anyone who could pull it off it'd be Tannenbaum

rivers is a country boy who wants no part of NY. It would be a comically bad fit.

Jets need QB and Rivers is a great one. Fantastic fit

The personality stuff is nonsense in that it doesn't supersede danged foozeball hurlin abilities. All he has to do is feed the press stuff from QB cliches 101. Worst we'd get is some sh*t talking at Brady for being a pretty boy and some religion stuff we're free to ignore.

INT's can be over rated particularly when looking at a single season, you are looking at what happened on a very small percent of his passes, and ignoring the much larger #, that he completely 66% of them. It's like Sanchez in 2010, cut his int total and things were looking up? No, he just had an inordinate amount of dropped INT's that year. (not saying that Rivers had an abnormally low total this year, haven't see the stats)

For his career, Rivers he is tied for the 18th best INT % of all time.. I wouldn't worry about INTs

Came across it

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2015/2014-adjusted-interceptions

Rivers adj int are lower then 9 other players, his rate is the same as Peyton Manning for 2014

Rivers is overrated and a complete Dbag.  I'd hate having to root for his punk ass.  The guy is not a winner.  He road the coattails of LT when he was dominating the league.  Check the guy's record out when LT wasnt scoring 20 times a year.

No thanks.  I'm definitely not trading multiple picks and Mo Wilk?  HELL NO!!!

Not a winner? are you kidding me, Rivers makes us playoff team by just lacing up.

HOw far we go I dont know but he gets us in the dance and makes the whole team better.

Not a winner? are you kidding me, Rivers makes us playoff team by just lacing up.

HOw far we go I dont know but he gets us in the dance and makes the whole team better.

I've changed my on the subject and would take Rivers but what has he won?

Archived