Why all the Cimini bashing?

LIJetsFan

I agree with this. He does the same thing in this article, lamenting about the over 30s and walking wounded Maccagnan signed before acknowledging that the previous accountants in charge left him little choice. He's better than he was since he left the NYDN, and the fact that Manish is far worse than Cimini ever was (after his previously decent incarnation) would suggest the problem is almost certainly the NYDN's editorial department.

I think the difference between the two is that Mehta has a page click agenda and it's so obvious that dictates the themes and narratives of everything he writes. Cimini's pessimism has always seemed to be rooted more in him being a miserable person. He's probably one of those guys that writes negative Yelp reviews about the local Barnes & Noble.

I think the difference between the two is that Mehta has a page click agenda and it's so obvious that dictates the themes and narratives of everything he writes. Cimini's pessimism has always seemed to be rooted more in him being a miserable person. He's probably one of those guys that writes negative Yelp reviews about the local Barnes & Noble.

costanza.jpg

His article as with many made no sense.  Bargain basement guys are either old or injured.  You are not getting younger still totally legit startser for bargain money and bargain term.

Sorry but you lost me.  This article makes perfect sense.  He mentions 13 of the 16 (sweet 16) FA's and talks a bit about each.  Mentions half are over 30, and 6 are coming off IR.  Mentions most have starting experience.  Gives credit to Tanny/Idzig's poor draft record for teams poor depth.  Mentions 9 are 1 year contracts so cap friendly.  

I thought it was a pretty good summary of the offseason to date and made perfect sense.  Maybe you see the big picture and don't need the summary but I found it helpful/interesting.  

Because he sucks balls?

We don't look at that as a positive anymore?

Tweeters reporting.

+!

I don't know why everyone is so down on Cimini around here.  This IMHO is a pretty good read for the casual 

For instance, what exactly does this mean?  Was Aldon Smith one of the ones that "received long term deals" or one of the ones that "remained on their teams"?  I don't find it very clear, but that is twitter journalism.  Fine in a message board post, but these guys are getting paid. I don't feel it is my responsibility to provide them with insights and ideas. or such a compliment if he steals one. 

Sorry but you lost me.  This article makes perfect sense.  He mentions 13 of the 16 (sweet 16) FA's and talks a bit about each.  Mentions half are over 30, and 6 are coming off IR.  Mentions most have starting experience.  Gives credit to Tanny/Idzig's poor draft record for teams poor depth.  Mentions 9 are 1 year contracts so cap friendly.  

I thought it was a pretty good summary of the offseason to date and made perfect sense.  Maybe you see the big picture and don't need the summary but I found it helpful/interesting.  

" General manager Mike Maccagnan has done a nice job of increasing the competition at virtually every position on the roster, acquiring 16 new players, but he has spent a little too much time shopping in the aisle marked "Older/Injured Players."

Eight of the 16 will be at least 30 years old when the season starts and, more concerning, six ended last season on injured reserve"

What part of my comment did not make sense?  He says he did a good job of filling in holes and gives credit for him singing them to cheap contracts you can get away with and in almost the same 1st sentence says he went shopping in the old and injured category.  If players are not old or injured you are not getting them cheap and are not getting enough to cover all bases.

so my immediate question was, what was the alternative?  Sign one more 6 million dollar young and not injured player or sign the 6 old injured guys we did?

" General manager Mike Maccagnan has done a nice job of increasing the competition at virtually every position on the roster, acquiring 16 new players, but he has spent a little too much time shopping in the aisle marked "Older/Injured Players."

Eight of the 16 will be at least 30 years old when the season starts and, more concerning, six ended last season on injured reserve"

What part of my comment did not make sense?  He says he did a good job of filling in holes and gives credit for him singing them to cheap contracts you can get away with and in almost the same 1st sentence says he went shopping in the old and injured category.  If players are not old or injured you are not getting them cheap and are not getting enough to cover all bases.

so my immediate question was, what was the alternative?  Sign one more 6 million dollar young and not injured player or sign the 6 old injured guys we did?

Cimini concludes this way:

If you're a Jets fan, you'd better hope Maccagnan doesn't start trading away draft choices, thinking the older/injured can hold the fort for more than a year. The draft remains the lifeblood of successful organizations.

Now maybe you wanted him to talk about Mac's alternatives but that was not the point of the article.  

Cimini concludes this way:

If you're a Jets fan, you'd better hope Maccagnan doesn't start trading away draft choices, thinking the older/injured can hold the fort for more than a year. The draft remains the lifeblood of successful organizations.

Now maybe you wanted him to talk about Mac's alternatives but that was not the point of the article.  

Well in essence he says nothing then.  The fact that all of these deals are one year cheap deals, and the team actually does have some prospects from the previous draft indicate he is not in the least hoping they can hold the fort for more than a year.  If he was pulling an oakland and signing these guys for mutli years and more money the article would have some real meaning.

Cimini is a douche...agreed with most that while he has done away with the maliciousness of his articles since leaving NYDN, he still has smartass and snide comments. While some of his pieces are trash, most arent that bad.

Mehta is aweful...his personality sucks...his opinions are all negative...and he's gotten worse over time. I specifically remember when Cimini made the move and introduced Mehta...he was ok, he managed to snowball into the piece of crap he is...constantly skipping leg workout day guy = douche.

Archived