Anyone read "Give me the damn ball!" by Keyshawn?

papz187

Anyone read the book? I read Collison Low Crossers and liked it, I still have Rex's book at home that he wrote after the 09 season I believe but haven't finished it, so I'm looking for a new Jets book to read.

I'm 32, so when Keyshawn was drafted I was 14 and at that age he instantly became one of my favorite Jets along with Chrebet, Mo Lewis, Aaron Glenn, Victor Green, Murrell, etc. Figure the book should be entertaining since it's Keyshawn talking shlt about the 1996 team (from what I'm told), but figured I'd ask and see if anyone else has read it and has an opinion on it.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I downloaded the sample of the book, and Keyshawn said the Jets offered him a little less than the years previous first round pick, Kijana Carter, because 1. Carter was a running back and worth more than a WR (which is crazy to think compared to today's NFL) and 2. Because being drafted in NY he could make up the difference in endorsement deals LOL

By the way, Kijana Carter's deal as the 1st player selected overall in 1995 was $17mil over 7 years with $7mil signing bonus and a player opt out clause after 4 years. Just funny to see how much has changed 20 years later.

Never read it but I can recall that I wasn't happy that a guy who had not established himself in the league yet came out knocking his teammates like he did.  I think he called Chrebet a midget and the title is a knock on the QB.

Johnson said he outshined Chrebet the way a star outshines a flashlight, and Wayne was the team mascot..

Anyone read the book? I read Collison Low Crossers and liked it, I still have Rex's book at home that he wrote after the 09 season I believe but haven't finished it, so I'm looking for a new Jets book to read.

I'm 32, so when Keyshawn was drafted I was 14 and at that age he instantly became one of my favorite Jets along with Chrebet, Mo Lewis, Aaron Glenn, Victor Green, Murrell, etc. Figure the book should be entertaining since it's Keyshawn talking shlt about the 1996 team (from what I'm told), but figured I'd ask and see if anyone else has read it and has an opinion on it.

I read both and while neither will ever be confused with War and Peace, here's what I remember about each:

I read Keyshawn's book back in 1997 and I can't remember much other than the fact that he was obviously not a fan of Chrebet and Neil O'Donnell.  For whatever reason, he seemed to love Frank Reich.  The chapters about his South Central LA upbringing were pretty fascinating.  There were things I certainly disagreed with about the guy, but I just remember loving him as a player because he was confident, 100% fearless and had the talent to back it up and the Jets did not feature many players with that kind of makeup in the late 80's and early to mid 90's.   

As far as Rex is concerned, I don't love Rex, I don't hate Rex, but his book was a complete waste of time.  It was like reading a really long transcript of one of his post-game press conferences where he blows smoke up all the players and coaches and even opponents rear ends.  There were also a lot of factual inaccuracies which was annoying.  He had a paragraph in there about how he was happy they "signed Cromartie as a free agent" where even most casual Jet fans would know they traded for him in 2010.  He wasn't a free agent until last offseason.

Thanks for the feedback. I ended up buying the book through Google play store for $12.99 and read the first chapter about his pre and post draft negotiations with the Jets.....some pretty good stuff in it so far.

If anyone has any other recommendations of books about the Jets or NFL in general I'd appreciate it.

Thanks for the recommendations guys. I read Collison Low Crossers and loved all the info at the combine, draft room, just the day to day stuff....it interests me.

I was thinking about checking out Parcells book he wrote after his time coaching the Jets. I would even be interested in a book like War Room about the Pats if it has info about how a team works through a draft, even if it's about those jerk offs.

I heard League of Denial is good too....I'll probably add that one to my list. Not a huge tennis fan, but Agassi does seem interesting so maybe I'll look into his book too predator. Thanks again guys.

Thanks for the recommendations guys. I read Collison Low Crossers and loved all the info at the combine, draft room, just the day to day stuff....it interests me.

I was thinking about checking out Parcells book he wrote after his time coaching the Jets. I would even be interested in a book like War Room about the Pats if it has info about how a team works through a draft, even if it's about those jerk offs.

I heard League of Denial is good too....I'll probably add that one to my list. Not a huge tennis fan, but Agassi does seem interesting so maybe I'll look into his book too predator. Thanks again guys.

http://www.amazon.com/Cant-Wait-Until-Tomorrow-Better-looking/dp/B0006C03ZY/ref=pd_sim_b_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=146KWDH4PMEMJ5K47WF8

http://www.amazon.com/Namath-Biography-Mark-Kriegel/dp/0143035355

http://www.amazon.com/Namath-Icons-NFL-Joe-Willie/dp/1590710819/ref=pd_sim_b_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1SNF7Z26KQJFYSYXRTHP

I read both and while neither will ever be confused with War and Peace, here's what I remember about each:

As far as Rex is concerned, I don't love Rex, I don't hate Rex, but his book was a complete waste of time.  It was like reading a really long transcript of one of his post-game press conferences where he blows smoke up all the players and coaches and even opponents rear ends.  There were also a lot of factual inaccuracies which was annoying.  He had a paragraph in there about how he was happy they "signed Cromartie as a free agent" where even most casual Jet fans would know they traded for him in 2010.  He wasn't a free agent until last offseason.

Just like most of REX asa professional. He rushes through it, cuts corners and leaves most who really understand professionalism in a position to see the real REX. Unprepared.

Never read it but I can recall that I wasn't happy that a guy who had not established himself in the league yet came out knocking his teammates like he did.  I think he called Chrebet a midget and the title is a knock on the QB.

He was a turd when he was active playing in the NFL, but he's been pretty classy ever since he retired. And don't knock the title of the book. It's not like authors or athletes come up with the titles, it's usually the publisher trying to generate interest, create some buzz, be controversial and all that. They're trying to sell as many books as possible, they want to make money. Not educate people. It's not a science book.

keydouche was a joke... he was OUTPLAYED by a WHITE Free Agent & he couldn't handle it EVEN to This day.

Even though Keyshawn was my favorite Jet from 97-99, I hated the way he treated Chrebet.  It was just so incredibly unnecessary.  That said, while they were both Jets and even beyond that, Keyshawn was NEVER outplayed by Chrebet.  You could argue that Chebet got more out of his ability than Keyshawn did, but there is no question that in terms of performance Chrebet never outplayed him in a given season, let alone a career.

Even though Keyshawn was my favorite Jet from 97-99, I hated the way he treated Chrebet.  It was just so incredibly unnecessary.  That said, while they were both Jets and even beyond that, Keyshawn was NEVER outplayed by Chrebet.  You could argue that Chebet got more out of his ability than Keyshawn did, but there is no question that in terms of performance Chrebet never outplayed him in a given season, let alone a career.

They were pretty close in 1996 yes I know it was KJ's rookie season and Wayne was a old seasoned vet in his 2nd season.. Wayne had about 14 more catches and KJ around 50 more yds. Considering Wayne was a UDFA and KJ was the 1st player taken in the draft Wayne did pretty well.. :winking0001:

They were pretty close in 1996 yes I know it was KJ's rookie season and Wayne was a old seasoned vet in his 2nd season.. Wayne had about 14 more catches and KJ around 50 more yds. Considering Wayne was a UDFA and KJ was the 1st player taken in the draft Wayne did pretty well.. :winking0001:

No question but outside of that one year, you would have a hard time making a case that Chrebet even matched him in any other year.  People love Chrebet because he's the every man who beat all the odds and I do to, but that does not mean that you inflate his production when comparing him to other players.

Yea I actually read it and still have the hardcover He had a tough life as a kid homeless and sleeping in his mom's car surrounded by gang members in So Cal I respect the guy As a Jet he was jealous of Wayne (too much) and sadly wasn't the best receiver in his 96 draft and then we drafted another WR Van Dyke in the 2nd round and a total bust. I wanted Tony Brackens lol

Al Groh's comments of 46 flashlights was classic

Yea I actually read it and still have the hardcover He had a tough life as a kid homeless and sleeping in his mom's car surrounded by gang members in So Cal I respect the guy As a Jet he was jealous of Wayne (too much) and sadly wasn't the best receiver in his 96 draft and then we drafted another WR Van Dyke in the 2nd round and a total bust. I wanted Tony Brackens lol

I hope Keyshawn's book had more periods than this.

I sure did LOL

I agree with the great majority of your post.  I loved Keyshawn but obviously Marvin Harrison had the better career...he also played in a dome with Peyton Manning.  Van Dyke was a dreadful pick and helped put a bow on the championship game loss in Denver with his fumble on the one touch he had in that game.

I think "classic" is a bit strong for the 46 flashlights... Groh used to drive me nuts with all his cheesy clichés.  He too often sounded like a cub scout troop leader and not an NFL coach.

Archived